• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

DieH@rd

Banned
Amir0x said:
All these impressions are making killin' me. All this time to think nothing of this Darksiders game for it to go almost immediately to one of my most anticipated games in the span of a week, and only shortly before its release, is crazy.

Count yourself to be a lucky one. What about us that are waiting for this game for ages now. :)

Nemesis_

Enigma777 said:
Do you have to unlock hard mode before you can play it?

Apocalyptic Mode is available from the start, which I would assume is the hardest mode. Im playing on that mode and it's slightly challenging but nothing overly impossible.

If it's not too much to ask, how many dungeons are in this game would you say?

All these impressions are making killin' me. All this time to think nothing of this Darksiders game for it to go almost immediately to one of my most anticipated games in the span of a week, and only shortly before its release, is crazy.

I wet myself when the game started talking about seven seals (which look like colourless versions of OoT's medallions) but now I'm apparently collecting four "greater demon" hearts or something, so it's either like OoT where there's early dungeons followed by later ones (In OoT, you had three gems and seven medallions) or it's just the hearts.

I didn't really make sense so, well, so far, if I am guessing correctly there are 11 dungeons. If I'm incorrect, then it may just be four + a final dungeon, which sounds more about right.

I am only about 3-4 hours in.

forrest

formerly nacire
DieH@rd said:
Count yourself to be a lucky one. What about us that are waiting for this game for ages now. :)

Yeah, I've been waiting for 2+ years for this damn game! Can't wait for Tuesday!

Flipside

Man I am so hyped about this game right now. When the game was first announced waaaaay back I hoped it would be an awesome game but I also thought that there was the possibility of disappointment since a lot of these games sound cool on paper but get released too soon, don't have enough budget, don't have a good team etc. So happy that this game is so well received by the press. 2010 starts out too good :)

Autofokus

glaurung said:
Has there been any word on new game+ features?

I mean, is it possible to grind through the game on normal and then carry over all items and moves into the final difficulty setting (apocalyptic iirc)?
No, but there is a special Armor which you can collect on your first playtrough. Thats the only item you can carry over into a new game.

Ardorx

Banned
Tokubetsu said:
Why is it, the people streaming the games are always fucking stupid?

I have no clue. With this boss dudes fighting right now, I believe you have to focus on the little green thing that falls outta the cage.

Denzar

Dammit GAF!

You've hyped me on this game!

I've been longing for a game like this for ages. Primarily because I crave for a huge game that takes me to various diverse locations and let's me fight some bad ass bosses. I haven't played this kind of game this generation yet.

There are enough action/adventure games this gen, but not one that satisfies that old skool feel I long for. Even Resident Evil 5 did not give me that feeling, although it had some awesome bosses.

The last game I played that gave me that feel was prolly God Of War II back when it launched.

God Of War III is still months off, so is this game something for me?

Sure looks like it is...

I don't like the art style though...

forrest

formerly nacire
Flipside said:
Man I am so hyped about this game right now. When the game was first announced waaaaay back I hoped it would be an awesome game but I also thought that there was the possibility of disappointment since a lot of these games sound cool on paper but get released too soon, don't have enough budget, don't have a good team etc. So happy that this game is so well received by the press. 2010 starts out too good :)

Yeah I'm glad they decided to push it back and put more money into the project. At least someone saw the potential and realized it was worth the investment. I really hope the game does well at retail.

S1kkZ

Caspel said:
my review went live sometime early this morning.

Darksiders Review @ GameZone 8.0

I can answer any questions you'd like on the title as I have the full strategy guide.
any tips for the standard enemies?
even if i see the attack animation soon enough and press the block button, nothing happens. the dash is useless, because most attacks have a bigger range and i cant get away with one dash.
the other problem is, that sometimes you just cant see when an enemy is going to attack you (when you fight against multiple enemies). they can also attack you when you do a acombo on another enemy.

is there something that i am missing? any secret block or counter move? no problems with bosses so far.

Mr. Hyde

I am trying to avoid buying new games, but my craving for a Zelda type of game is making it hard to resist. Maybe I will use that $50.00 gift card I picked up at Walmart when I bought a Wii.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
S1kkZ said:
any tips for the standard enemies?
even if i see the attack animation soon enough and press the block button, nothing happens. the dash is useless, because most attacks have a bigger range and i cant get away with one dash.
the other problem is, that sometimes you just cant see when an enemy is going to attack you (when you fight against multiple enemies). they can also attack you when you do a acombo on another enemy.

is there something that i am missing? any secret block or counter move? no problems with bosses so far.

To tell you the truth, I never had any problems with standard enemies until later on in the game (primarily the demons on horse mounts and the ones that explode). War does
gain a block counter about 3-4 hours into the game. It's time-based and allows for the enemy to be prone to attacks.

Here are some questions:
1 - Do you jump?
2 - Do you have the scythe, crossblade, tremor gauntlet, or any other gear?
3 - What combos are you generally using? I usually would average around a 20-hit combo and then it would start over since the combo system doesn't have enough of a grace period in-between attacks.

My tips:
1 - I barely ever had to block. When I saw an enemy ready to attack, I'd try to hit them first instead of trying to counter. I thought the game was very easy.

2 - Jump out of crowds. If you are in crowds, use your Wrath Cores for a Blade Geyser. Also, use your Wrath Cores whenever possible for any of the power ups to keep combat in favor of War.

Virro

Is anyone else watching the livestream of the Tiamat fight right now? Its enough to make me wanna tear my eyes out. This guy has been doing the exact same thing for 15 minutes with no success.

Tokubetsu

Virro said:
Is anyone else watching the livestream of the Tiamat fight right now? Its enough to make me wanna tear my eyes out. This guy has been doing the exact same thing for 15 minutes with no success.

I had to stop watching, no one can be this fucking stupid. It's almost ruining the game for me :lol

Virro

Tokubetsu said:
I had to stop watching, no one can be this fucking stupid. It's almost ruining the game for me :lol

Yeah... he just spent 10 minutes throwing the glaive at a boss only to have it reach a QT event where the boss is stunned and then repeat the whole process over and over and over and over and over again without reaching the next part of the QT event. Isn't the definition of insanity repeating the same thing over and over again without getting different results but somehow thinking you will?

eXistor

I must say this game has gone from "meh just another GoW clone" to "omg, this is one hell of a way to start the year" for me.

Caspel said:
I can answer any questions you'd like on the title as I have the full strategy guide.

Watch it.... the strategy guide is actually wrong in a few places (3 - 4 items locations, one boss strategy). Don't want you giving out bad info. :lol

Captain N

I haven't heard any of this about the 360 version having problems. What are they and do they appear in the 360 version?

robot

If anyones thinking of picking this up along w/ Bayonetta next week, both games work w/ Toys R Us B1G1 50% promo this week (as preorders on tru.com).

bad timing for this game, Bayonetta becomes a must buy for me same day release (and originally wasnt interested until the demo) and cant really justify both having already got Divinity II this week

Caspel

StarscreamLSU said:
Watch it.... the strategy guide is actually wrong in a few places (3 - 4 items locations, one boss strategy). Don't want you giving out bad info. :lol

Yup. Outside of the item locations (which never plagued me), I never used the guide to be honest.

The game was fairly easy to complete.

Lyonaz

For all the Dutch people! E-plaza and Dimension plus has the game in store.

I bought the game just now.:D

They also had Bayonetta btw.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Saw the title and thought it might interest me. But then I saw the pictures and it's too testosterone for me, it seems more like barbarian type thing rather than LOTR/small triumphant. The thing I like most about Zelda is it's not one dimensional.

Nemesis_

Just finish the first dungeon and beat Tiamat on Apocalyptic. Is there some way to find all items on the map? I hear there's a, well, kind of "compass" item or equivalent in Darksiders - didn't find one in the first dungeon though.

Stats so far for those who care. >_>

Total Game Time: 3 Hours 47 Minutes
Time In Combat: 1 Hour 16 Minutes
Totla Kills: 718
Number of Deaths: 29
Travelled: 38 Miles
Highest Comb: 42
and 1300 Gallons of Blood Spilt. :D

S1kkZ

Caspel said:
Here are some questions:
1 - Do you jump?
2 - Do you have the scythe, crossblade, tremor gauntlet, or any other gear?
3 - What combos are you generally using? I usually would average around a 20-hit combo and then it would start over since the combo system doesn't have enough of a grace period in-between attacks.

My tips:
1 - I barely ever had to block. When I saw an enemy ready to attack, I'd try to hit them first instead of trying to counter. I thought the game was very easy.

2 - Jump out of crowds. If you are in crowds, use your Wrath Cores for a Blade Geyser. Also, use your Wrath Cores whenever possible for any of the power ups to keep combat in favor of War.
ok, thank you.
i never jump (in battles), only for some air combos with the sword.
i just got
ruin
and have all the weapons you listed above (all level 2).
never managed a 20 hit combo, i always use the x (wait) x, then hold x for the uppercut and spin attack. its a nice combo.

i have no problem to win the fights, i just hate that some enemies have unblockable/ undodgeable attacks.

Caspel

S1kkZ said:
ok, thank you.
i never jump (in battles), only for some air combos with the sword.
i just got
ruin
and have all the weapons you listed above (all level 2).
never managed a 20 hit combo, i always use the x (wait) x, then hold x for the uppercut and spin attack. its a nice combo.

i have no problem to win the fights, i just hate that some enemies have unblockable/ undodgeable attacks.

I am always jumping in battles to make sure I have all the enemies in front of me rather than having an enemy behind me breaking up a combo. But this style may not suit everyone. I found using the scythe to be the easiest to make sure no one got close enough to break my combos up -- it has an AoE attack that goes in a full circle knocking enemies back that aren't too big.

Once you have
ruin
the combat against larger enemies scales back a bit.

S1kkZ

Caspel said:
I am always jumping in battles to make sure I have all the enemies in front of me rather than having an enemy behind me breaking up a combo. But this style may not suit everyone. I found using the scythe to be the easiest to make sure no one got close enough to break my combos up -- it has an AoE attack that goes in a full circle knocking enemies back that aren't too big.

Once you have
ruin
the combat against larger enemies scales back a bit.
one more question: i just killed
stygian the giant worm
, how far am i? played 8 hours so far.

Caspel

S1kkZ said:
one more question: i just killed
stygian the giant worm
, how far am i? played 8 hours so far.

You still have
8-11 main or mini-bosses, I won't tell you the exact count to avoid ruining it for you, but you have a lot big battles ahead of you.
Also, you are past half way and, depending on how you play and not counting retrieving items, you have another 5-7 hours of gameplay. But as I said, you are past halfway. Normal enemies should be a breeze now with
ruin
or you can speed past them.

Lyonaz

Played a total time of 00:42:48. =P

Love the artstyle, you can really see Joe Madureira's style in it, good thing I'm a fan.:D

Combat is at the moment simple, but I like it, hoping for lots of more moves.
At the moment I'm dashing in, makes the dash sort of a tackle then slash/slash/uppercut slash and when I'm in the air I always want to grab, but he doesn't. =( (hopefully he gets a move for that)
I love grabbing furniture and throwing them against enemies also it's fun bashing enemies with cars and lamp posts/signs/parking meters.

Am playing on the PS3, no tearing so far, but yeah it does have jaggies, but not like OMG AWFUL! it really doesn't bother me though.
Don't ask me about frame-rates cause I'm really bad at that shit, I think it runs just smoothly and fine.
I loved Bayonetta on PS3 and thought it was just fine btw. =P

Also it really does play like Zelda, this is the only other game where I'm constantly picking up objects to throw.:lol

Now I'm off to play some more.

Feindflug

Captain N said:
I haven't heard any of this about the 360 version having problems. What are they and do they appear in the 360 version?

Constant tearing, frame-rate hovers between 30 and 60fps, random pauses/hiccups and no AA at least for the 360 version...PS3 version according to some guys here also lacks AA but there's no tearing.

Also there's no official word on a patch to enable v-sync on the 360 version which I assume will get rid of the really bad tearing, if you have both consoles just wait for some more detailed comparisons.

S1kkZ

Feindflug said:
Constant tearing, frame-rate hovers between 30 and 60fps, random pauses/hiccups and no AA at least for the 360 version...PS3 version according to some guys here also lacks AA but there's no tearing.

Also there's no official word on a patch to enable v-sync on the 360 version which I assume will get rid of the really bad tearing, if you have both consoles just wait for some more detailed comparisons.
the pauses/hiccups only happen in the beginning, never noticed them again.

Feindflug

Twilight Princess said:
how are you guys already playing this? =(

http://i50.tinypic.com/2a66yyb.jpg

S1kkZ said:
the pauses/hiccups only happen in the beginning, never noticed them again.

Well that's good to hear...to be honest right now I'm playing Assassin's Creed 2 and I'm thinking to just wait and see if a patch/fix is planned for the 360 version before I'll start the game.

Any word from the devs about a patch or something? :/

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Twilight Princess said:
how are you guys already playing this? =(

Some stores already have it and they're breaking the street date.

teh_J0kerer said:
This game sounds interesting, but Demon's Souls has taught me that I'm not too interested in playing easy games anymore...
i'm in the same boat. although i still want my zelda fix, this game lasts <20 hours.

man i hope my walmart/bb breaks street date. =( no fair.

Feindflug said:
http://i50.tinypic.com/2a66yyb.jpg

Well that's good to hear...to be honest right now I'm playing Assassin's Creed 2 and I'm thinking to just wait and see if a patch/fix is planned for the 360 version before I'll start the game.

Any word from the devs about a patch or something? :/

EUROPE!!!
6nypo3.jpg

Feindflug said:

I thought the 360 verison didn't have the aliasing problems?

If this game is out in europe, are there any proper comparisons yet? I have no preference except that I want to play the best version. If this is the rare case where the PS3 version is better like with Bionic Commando, then I'll get that.

TimeLike

Feindflug said:

I don't even really know for sure what tearing is, but if it's what I think it is, then this game is making me sick. Playing the 360 version and every single time I move the camera, the screen flickers and there is a solid line across the top portion of the picture. It feels like the bottom half of the image is moving at a different speed than the top half. It's really noticable when going around corners or up flights of stairs when the camera has to move a lot.

Also this is just a small nitpick, but I noticed a typo in one of the training texts that popped up. It had a singular article with plural nouns. It said something like "Your glove will glow when you are near a chests and treasures." That kind of shit in a proffessional publication like this really pisses me off.

The game is great fun though, and aside from trying really hard not to stare at the horrible tearing, it's a blast.

TimeLike said:
every single time I move the camera, the screen flickers and there is a solid line across the top portion of the picture. It feels like the bottom half of the image is moving at a different speed than the top half. It's really noticable when going around corners or up flights of stairs when the camera has to move a lot.

that's tearing.....annoying as all hell and completely inexcusable in my book.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Some anecdotal evidence for game sales. My GameStop store official has both Darksiders and Bayonetta. We received 20 copies of Darksiders and 10 copies of Bayonetta. Some of the people I've talked to seemed to be turned off by just how ridiculous Bayonetta is. That makes me sad, but it could be that Darksiders is on track to surprise people how well it sales. Could be a real sleeper hit.

Top Bottom