• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

S1kkZ said:
the framerate was mentioned before (from caspel i think), the short hickups only appear sometimes in battle.
i played the game from the dvd: same problems, longer loading times.

Well it just seems mixed. Some people report lots of tearing, others don't. Same with some minor framerate issues. Not saying its not happening to you but there doesn't seem to be one solid answer. Thanks for letting us know then. Going to offer more impressions later I hope?! :D

forrest

formerly nacire
slasher_thrasher21 said:
Well it just seems mixed. Some people report lots of tearing, others don't. Same with some minor framerate issues. Not saying its not happening to you but there doesn't seem to be one solid answer. Thanks for letting us know then. Going to offer more impressions later I hope?! :D

Yeah I'm really anticipating some comparisons on this game. I'm pretty sure lensoftruth will be doing a head2head on this one so I'll be curious to see what they find. They are very thorough, unbiased and transparent on how they capture their footage and collect their data. This may be one multiplatform game I get for my PS3!

On a side note, does anyone know if I can pick up my gamestop pre-order goodies on the 5th without paying off the balance on the game?

panda21 said:
well you lucky people better post impressions later! i still don't quite get how its like zelda

Whats not to get?

Darksiders | Zelda

Overworld = hyrule field
Cross weapon = boomarang
Grapple chains = grapple hook
Puzzles and platforming = puzzles and platforming
new abilities used to progress = new abilities used to progress
Epic boss battles = Epic boss battles
Dungeons = Yep... you guessed it... dungeons
Vulgrim = Navi
Backtracking for missing items using new abilities = ditto!

I mean sure there is some things that can be said for other games but really its obviously got similarities to Zelda and well a buch of games combined. Zelda + God of War + Soul Reaver +DMC + Metroid = DARKSIDERS! YA DIG?

nacire said:
Yeah I'm really anticipating some comparisons on this game. I'm pretty sure lensoftruth will be doing a head2head on this one so I'll be curious to see what they find. They are very thorough, unbiased and transparent on how they capture their footage and collect their data. This may be one multiplatform game I get for my PS3!

On a side note, does anyone know if I can pick up my gamestop pre-order goodies on the 5th without paying off the balance on the game?

I'm actually buying a copy on PS3 and 360 just to give these guys support and another sale. So It will be interesting to see the differences. I should have both copies by the end of the week at the latest.

forrest

formerly nacire
slasher_thrasher21 said:
I'm actually buying a copy on PS3 and 360 just to give these guys support and another sale. So It will be interesting to see the differences. I should have both copies by the end of the week at the latest.

Yeah I hear ya. I have a copy for both systems pre-ordered and may just end up gifting one to a friend. This is definitely my favorite genre so I'm all for supporting it with my dollar as well.

nacire said:
Yeah I hear ya. I have a copy for both systems pre-ordered and may just end up gifting one to a friend. This is definitely my favorite genre so I'm all for supporting it with my dollar as well.

Yeah I actually ordered it online from some people that have them on hand now. Granted It will only be a few days before the official release but with this month being so jam packed with releases. The sooner the better. :p Though Darksiders seems to be a game I will definetly be replaying very very soon after the onslaught of games this month.

Feindflug

S1kkZ said:
720p, hdmi, game is installed.

Same problems here at 1080p via HDMI, installed (I tested 720p and there was no difference in performance)..constant tearing - no sign of v-sync/the game hovers between 30 & 60fps, some little pauses here and there and rough IQ - it seems there is no AA also in the 360 version (another friend mentioned that the PS3 is jaggy) also no sign of AF...technically the game is definitely not polished to the point of being a reason for lowering scores IMO..I wonder if they can improve somehow the technical issues with a patch.

But from what I played (almost an hour) the game looks really interesting story-wise, the environments are really cool looking, the bigger enemies look awesome and the controls/battles are really good, more impressions tomorrow.

Feindflug said:
Same problems here at 1080p via HDMI, installed (I tested 720p and there was no difference in performance)..constant tearing - no sign of v-sync/the game hovers between 30 & 60fps, some little pauses here and there and rough IQ - it seems there is no AA also in the 360 version (another friend mentioned that the PS3 is jaggy) also no sign of AF...technically the game is definitely not polished to the point of being a reason for lowering scores IMO..I wonder if they can improve somehow the technical issues with a patch.

But from what I played (almost an hour) the game looks really interesting story-wise, the environments are really cool looking, the bigger enemies look awesome and the controls/battles are really good, more impressions tomorrow.

Would playing the game un-installed fix any of these things you think? And why didn't the reviews all point this stuff out! Seems like a pretty big issue.

canova said:
how do you know?

Pretty sure someone confirmed there is no new game + but that the armor stays, though... I'm hoping you can because it appears it takes a longgggg time to level up weapons.

Spike

Corto said:
I've pre-ordered the game through videogamesplus but afaik they don't have the comic book+art book promo... Where can I buy that in separate but in english?

The comic will also be available online from the official website.

S1kkZ

i really dislike the fighting system in this game:

-war is just too slow. even if you know the attack patterns of your enemies, its almost impossible to dodge some attacks. the dash is mostly useless (to slow, leaves you open for an attack), the block only works sometimes (you can block an attack, sometimes you cant block the same attack) and the timing is just weird, same with the countermove.
-fighting against multiple enemies is a pain in the ass (with or without lock-on), war is too slow, all enemies attack at once.
-there combos but so far, they are useless. buttonmashing is the way to go.
i tried to use counters, blocks, combos, magic but it mostly gets you killed (once again: war is too slow, he just takes too long for most of the meoves, which leaves you open)

i still manage to win every fight, but the fighting system is a big letdown.
i really took my time, learned the attack patterns, bought new combos and upgrades but its just doesnt feel right.

i play on normal btw.

I love the game already. However the tearing and the hickups (360) are annoying. I think I'll have to switch to the PS3 version.

The lack of polish in the 360 version is a really disappointing. :-/

Truant

Fortinbras said:
I love the game already. However the tearing and the hickups (360) are annoying. I think I'll have to switch to the PS3 version.

The lack of polish in the 360 version is a really disappointing. :-/

Have you installed the game to the HDD?

S1kkZ

Tokubetsu said:
I guess it's only fair the 360 version sucks ='(
thats harsh. the biggest problem is the tearing, which is the result of the constant framerate drops (60 fps - 30 fps). they could fix this with a patch.

Tokubetsu

S1kkZ said:
thats harsh. the biggest problem is the tearing, which is the result of the constant framerate drops (60 fps - 30 fps). they could fix this with a patch.

I've waited too long for anything to deter me at this point haha. I'm not canceling my pre-order or the 2 day shipping or anything :lol

Truant

S1kkZ said:

I'd rather have a locked 30.

S1kkZ

Truant said:
I'd rather have a locked 30.
like i said, they could do it with a patch (saints row 1 did it as well).
but hey: if you only have a 360 and you can live with the heavy tearing, its ok.
if you have both plattforms, you should wait for a comparison, maybe the ps3 version has other flaws?

i played for 3 hours now and the framerate gets a little better (or i got used to it).

glaurung

Even though the EU retailers list this for the 8th or January, it seems my PS3 copy is going to be sent out before the year's end.

Interesting.

Picked this up at Wal-mart in FL. Looked for Bayonetta early, but found this instead.

Manager had to override the sale, but I guess he didn't care about street dates.

Freedom = $1.05 said:
Gonna wait for gaf impressions before jumping in on this one. Anyone else getting a Shadowman vibe from this, though? That was a great B zelda/metroid game, although the loading was the fucking pits.
Oh, god, you just unsold me on this game. I played Shadowman 2 on the ps2 and I hated that game to death. It was supposed to be a cool tomb raider/soul reaver-like exploration game with vodoo elements thrown in the mix, but oh god I hated hated hated that game.

Sorry if that came out the wrong way, I'm not attacking your tastes or anything, I just couldn't get into the game for some reason (maybe all the cursing and the gameplay and levels felt bland to me, I don't really remember).

There's no demo coming for this, right?

FunkyPajamas said:
Oh, god, you just unsold me on this game. I played Shadowman 2 on the ps2 and I hated that game to death. It was supposed to be a cool tomb raider/soul reaver-like exploration game with vodoo elements thrown in the mix, but oh god I hated hated hated that game.

Sorry if that came out the wrong way, I'm not attacking your tastes or anything, I just couldn't get into the game for some reason (maybe all the cursing and the gameplay and levels felt bland to me, I don't really remember).

Well just to be clear, I have a feeling he is refering to the original shadow man which was quite excellent. 2 was a major dissapointment. :( Don't let it deter you from Darksiders!

GeoramA

Just pre-ordered from Amazon, even though I planned not to buy anything in January :lol

Glowing reviews, Home costumes, and gameplay that sounds right up my alley. Couldn't resist.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
92 | Multiplayer.it

http://multiplayer.it/recensioni/73382-darksiders-non-temete-lapocalisse.html

"(translated from Italian via Metacritic) Darksiders is a perfect example of how a video game should be made: very well balanced gameplay, a lot of variety, artistically sublime. Even if the game lacks of any extra after you finish the main story, we highly recommend it, also because it's so close to great classics like Metroid Prime."

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
FunkyPajamas said:

No demo. Confirmed.
Also, to be clear, he was probably referring to the original Shadowman, which was infinitely superior to its incredibly awful sequel.

Also, Darksiders seems to have little in common with Shadowman.

Top Bottom