• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aloy is my favorite videogame protagonist in recent memory

I hope she continue being not involved romantically other than a few teases until after she successfully revert what sobeck envisioned.
But if theres option to be sandwitched by Nil and Avad, fuck the world.

The interactions between her and
Sylens
are some of my favorite in any game ever.

It is rare to have a mentor character who consistently doesn't coddle the 'student' and to have the student stand up for themselves against that person is pretty great.

It was a very surprising and sort of unique relationship for games and it was easily my favorite part of the entire experience.

I was also impressed how GG made an attractive female character and actually had her experience moments of objectification that really made me (a male) feel uncomfortable, as they should, in a way I've never felt before. Aloy was always more than capable of handling those situations and she did it better than I likely would have on my own. Kudos, Guerilla.

jdstorm

Banned
Honestly? I thought they were trying a bit too much to make her tough. I mean, no matter how difficult the situation was and how outnumbered she is, Aloy always acts like it's a piece of cake. Hoards of enemies? Nah, I don't need help, I'll do it alone. There is this legendary, deadly Thunderjaw roaming the land? LOL, send me after it.

Sorry, but at some point I thought it was just over the top.

Aloy is
the clone of Elisabeth Sobeck, the type of person who was smart enough to enrol at a good college in an advanced degree at 13. The type of person who was leading the most advanced robotics divison in the world at a fortune 500 company at 22. Its fair to say 19 year old Aloy is going to be incredibly advanced and she has spent her whole life training with the Nora tribes best hunter and learning to survive solo.

Aloy would be light years more advanced then almost anyone she meets. Especially since she has been learning from a focus her whole life.

Besides some people are just outsiders and that toughness is largely for show/personal comfort.

Explain to me whats so bad about it.

I don't rank it alongside great sci fi (although it's really good) but comparing it to Transformers series?
I never said it was bad and actually said it was slightly better than most games of its type. I was responding to a post claiming it was one of the best sci-fi works ever written. My response was - you're right , if you are comparing it to Transforners

TsuWave

Ewwww.

And how is Aloy not " idealized beauty".
You mean she isn't naked, yeah that she isn't.
And she doesn't have huge boobs but her body is Greek Goddess perfection.

eh. aloy grew up in the wilderness as a hunter and with rigorous training, its natural for her to be lean and athletic. she wasn't particularly framed as "greek goddess perfection", at least not to me understanding of that term and its undertones

also, weird to see people saying stuff like "they tried to hard to make her tough", like she was preparing herself her whole life to be a great hunter, and plenty of times during gameplay she shows herself to be reticent to tackle some of beasts in the game, like she says stuff like "woah, that thing is huge" or "that was built for fighting, i better be careful", she even advises the player to lay low and avoid combat "we can get out of this if we stay low" or "just mind your business" (said to machines scanning for her), i might have paraphrased some but its stuff that's along the lines of what she says. she never really came off as "send em my way and i'll send em to valhalla" type, more so "how can we do this best?"

MrS

Banned
She's the female Solid Snake. That's how good she is. Voice acting and role in the story were perfect imo. I couldn't have asked for more from Guerilla.

2B is great too.

Reedirect

I was very curious about how they were going to handle her, and I think they actually did a great job.

She's courageous, but slightly awkward in some conversations and dryly funny in others. I think Ashly Burch will forever be in my mind as Chloe Price, but that doesn't change the fact she was on point here.

...and bonus points for her imperfect teeth.

I'm curious to know whether some of the difference of opinions on her character come from the dialogue choices people made. I chose the heart option almost every time and found it gave her a pretty well-rounded characterization rather than as an always-snarky bad-ass which IMO gives her a lot less depth.

When watching others play through the game and choosing different options consistently, it's given me a much different impression of her as a character. It didn't make her feel like someone else completely, but it definitely made her seem more one-sided.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Agreed. Probably best female protagonist ever in gaming.

Beyond-Good-and-Evil.jpg

KZObsessed

Yeah, she's pretty much perfect. Great design, well written, great performance. She's genuinely very likeable. They did a great job with her and it's rare I really like a video game protagonist.

kyser73

I had no idea who Ashley Burch was before HZD so fortunately don't carry that baggage around, and IMO she manages to (largely) deliver a believable heroine who displays bravura, bravado and compassion both at the players' behest (the first time I really got Aloy was the medicine mission when she has the conversation with the hermit medical dude and the tone in her voice conveyed a deep sense of personal injustice at his words about outcasts) and in dialog-fixed cutscenes.

I think comparisons with Witcher about the writing are a bit unfair - CDPR are taking from a mainline well written (if conventional) fantasy series, HZD is a new fiction from the ground up, and carries with it the burden of foundational world-building, a central character origins quest as well as the main story - all of this being fitted into a gaming format that isn't necessarily conducive to well paced & rounded storytelling.

As a piece of SF (which I read a lot of and is the main reason I had no issues with the high/low tech mix and general setting of the game) what I've played so far puts it in early Neal Asher quality level (and OMG I'd love to see him involved in world-building in a video game), and while the writing isn't always good/great it's never actually poor IMO. Someone said it's like mid-tier YA fiction...which puts it easily into the top 10% of game writing...

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Aloy is a wonderful lead, I really like her. The way she's written and performed, how she looks, controls and moves... Everything about her is done with real care and attention, and it shows.

All there is to it, really.

mindsale

Her design is great and her outfits are good, but her voice actress sounds vacuous and uninvolved and uninterested. Also American, which as an American I'd rather not have in my far-flung fantasy.

Thretau

I like her but I think she is a bit too "paladin" for my taste. Just overly concerned about everyone when I go talk to quest givers or NPCs with that same semi-sad expression on her face.

Voice acting is quality though.

Not enough romance options

I disagree; I don't really see how romance would fit into anything that's going on. Her
village was attacked, multiple people were killed (including her adoptive father) and she's been tasked with finding the assassins and finding out how they control/corrupt
the machines, and I don't think taking time out for courting and/or sex would fit the themes or pace of the game. I don't really care for it in Bioware games and I'm glad it's not in Horizon.

pastrami

I like her but I think she is a bit too "paladin" for my taste. Just overly concerned about everyone when I go talk to quest givers or NPCs with that same semi-sad expression on her face.

Voice acting is quality though.

I thought that too initially, but she can be a bit of a smart-ass and cocky at times. Her interactions with Resh were pretty funny. I kept expecting her to extend an olive branch, but she kept antagonizing him instead.

Fynriel

Banned
I thought that too initially, but she can be a bit of a smart-ass and cocky at times. Her interactions with Resh were pretty funny. I kept expecting her to extend an olive branch, but she kept antagonizing him instead.

Right? She
straight up wished for his death at the end and told him so.
I found it really off-putting. Not that Resh wasn't a giant douche, but I thought for sure she would be the bigger person.

Sethista

I happened to start playing life is strange a week before getting horizon, and managed to get to the midle of episode 2.

THen I ropped evertyhing in my life really to play horizon, so I got eh full effect of chloe and aloy, both voiced by ashly burch.

I think she did a horrible job with chloe, the one thing that game did not do well so far at least is dialogue, so maybe that played a part.

But then going to aloy, she really found her stride in voice acting. All the dialogue beats and emotional moments were on point to who aloy is, like when she was
flirting with petra
or
having no patience with that couple from free heap,
it was incredible.

Alienfan

Man I really should finish this game. My initial impressions were that she was just another bland asexual unstoppable badass female protagonist with not a whole lot of depth. But reading some of these posts it sounds like the story and her character develop in a few interesting ways

bunkitz

Gotta agree with OP. I love her design (especially the Nora Brave outfit) and she's so damn pretty without being a stereotypical "hot" character. She's sassy and strong and vulnerable all at the same time. She's not some stoic, unfeeling tough character, and I love that we can see her caring and hurting. It's so refreshing to watch such a well-written character.

Also? Her hair, man. It's gorgeous.

The only current-gen protagonist I can see being on par with her, in terms of my favourites, would be Geralt. Which is a wonderful thought given these:

I never thought about how she controls before... It is pretty amazing how well she controls. Geralt wasn't always the easiest guy to move around now that I think about it. Aloy's like smooth butter compared to him. So damn good.

Keasar

For me, 2B and 9S of Nier: Automata takes that cake easily.
Nier2.jpg

The deeper this rabbit hole you go, the more intricate their personalities and motives go and the more heartbroken shit becomes. This is one of the best and most depressing duos in videogame history I know of.

Aloy was alright, but it's not one that will stick with me for long in memory. Good visual design, I'll give her that.

Dabi

Ewwww.

And how is Aloy not " idealized beauty".
You mean she isn't naked, yeah that she isn't.
And she doesn't have huge boobs but her body is Greek Goddess perfection.
I really like her design, though, but i don't think she's particularly well written.

Lol you took what I said out of context.

The Boat

She's pretty cool, good design, great VA and she's badass and snarky. Nothing mindblowing personally, but I had a good time playing as her.

Incredibly well developed character. Great character design and voice acting. Easily one of my favorites. Hope she remains a PlayStation flagship character for a long time.

Amazing lead in a great group of characters. I canconfidently say that Horizon has the best characters, best writing, and best story since Red Dead Redemption.

Aloy
Rost
Erend
Avad
Nil
Sylens
Blameless Mirad
Petra
Vanasha
Talanah

A wonderful group of characters.

george_us

Yeah she was pretty cool. Feels like I skipped most of what made her great by not doing many of the side quests. The main story didn't do a lot for me.

Reckheim

I found her to be a bit arrogant, like she always thought the world owed her something. As in she was the only one with a tough childhood.

Other than that she was great.

ActWan

Aloy was awesome, and the excellent dubbing made her way better.
Though I feel she was too "driven" and focused on the goal, for my tastes.

I never said it was bad and actually said it was slightly better than most games of its type. I was responding to a post claiming it was one of the best sci-fi works ever written. My response was - you're right , if you are comparing it to Transforners
I think they are onlying including games in that description. If so, they are 100% right. Horizon is one of the best written sci-fi games ever. If we are including literature in there I wouldn't agree either, but I think it compares favorably to many sci-fi films as well. The writing has a lot of personality, and the characters feel very human, something that is often a struggle for games. It's only a step below Naughty Dog or CDPR's work, but with better world building than ND and I'm more impressed by it than the Witcher as HZD is completely original and The Witcher isn't.

Agree, incredible character. She avoids so many pitfalls of a lead character in an open world game. Her responses are refreshing and interesting. It's just one of the things that makes Horizon on of my favourite games in recent memory. I think despite being extremely well received this game is still under-appreciated. I think it's like RDR, which upon release I freaked out over for 3 solid months, and half the people I talked to about it were like "meh, it's ok." Now, years later it's hard to find someone who doesn't find the game to be legendary. Horizon will be the same way, imo.

DrkSage

She actually says she'd like to get married but she's afraid nobody will have her.

Oh.

What I remember was something along the line of. It wanting to be with anyone right now, yada yada

I friend zoned the prince :3

And also told him something about how I'm not gonna be like that other guys sister

Kin5290

She actually says she'd like to get married but she's afraid nobody will have her.

No? When does this happen?

Also, to the OP, Aloy is awesome. She's both compassionate and occasionally ruthless when necessary in a way that adds character depth. And she makes her own objectives! I don't know of any female videogame protagonist who is written as assertively as she is.

jdstorm

Banned
No? When does this happen?

Also, to the OP, Aloy is awesome. She's both compassionate and occasionally ruthless when necessary in a way that adds character depth. And she makes her own objectives! I don't know of any female videogame protagonist who is written as assertively as she is.

Depends on your definition of assertive and protagonist (and Female vs Character Creator)

There are quite a few (although the list skews older)

Memento

Aloy was awesome, and the excellent dubbing made her way better.
Though I feel she was too "driven" and focused on the goal, for my tastes.

Well,
she trained her entire life to know the answers she is after. It is comprehensible that when she is finally on the verge of knowing said answers she will be very focused.

Top Bottom