• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aloy is my favorite videogame protagonist in recent memory

Joey Ravn

Banned
I love Aloy. She's great. I only wish Ashley Burch tapped into that wide range of emotions she used when voicing Chloe. Of course she's not going to be as upbeat as Chloe but, at times I thought Aloy was whispering everything she said.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Ashly Birch's career path is pretty fascinating. Went from weird side character in a web series to a serious writer and voice actress.

HMD

Ashley is VERY good for Aloy, but she's just too recognizable. Every time Aloy spoke I just heard Chloe, I expected Aloy to drop a "hella cool" anytime.

Aloy is great. The delivery of some of her lines is hilarious too, she's really sarcastic when people are being dicks and that's just wonderful.

J 0 E

Agree with OP

Aloy is well-wtitten and designed character on so many regards, the design is not over-sexualized like other females in games + iconic

Her character is strong specially for an RPG game which your decisions shape all of it (Mass Effect make you shape it too much IMO), a balance rarely found < Geralt is one of the exceptions

Alo0oy

Banned
Ashley is VERY good for Aloy, but she's just too recognizable. Every time Aloy spoke I just heard Chloe, I expected Aloy to drop a "hella cool" anytime.

Ashley hasn't done many video games actually, she did LiS and some Borderlands, but that's it for major roles.

Spyware

Yet Aloy later admits she needs him to know more about her mother because she is clueless about where to look, Sylens exists to push Aloy into the main story quest.
Needing someone to get to what you want is not the same as being a pawn and only doing what you're told. She clearly could have done most of it by herself in time, it's just easier to get the help from someone who's been at it for years already.

GLAMr

I love her cute, dorky, embarrassed exclamations when you fall or slide down the terrain...

"Whoa, coming down..."

"Much easier when I was a kid... *snort*"

eso76

She's great, I can see her right up there with Kratos

Ewwww.

And how is Aloy not " idealized beauty".
You mean she isn't naked, yeah that she isn't.
And she doesn't have huge boobs but her body is Greek Goddess perfection.
I really like her design, though, but i don't think she's particularly well written.

eXistor

I thought she was kinda bland myself to be honest. I don't think she stood out in any way now that I think about it.

nikos

I found her to be uninteresting and lacking in personality. I liked her less and less as I played Horizon, to the point where the game ended up in my backlog because I completely stopped caring about her or the story. I'll try to get back to it when I'm finished with Persona 5.

NieR's characters, on the other hand, were full of mystery. I couldn't stop playing because I wanted to learn more about them.

redcrayon

Haven't played Horizon (although I really want to one day), but at the moment Shovel Knight is both my favourite new character and new IP this gen. So nice to have a character that's humble, polite and courageous rather than snarky.

eFKac

Fantastic character. Probably my favourite female protagonist ever.

So well realized, writers clearly had a vision for her and went for it through and through.

Great writing, witty, smart, down to earth no bullshit. Coupled with such a well fitting voice acting. Just so good.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Honestly? I thought they were trying a bit too much to make her tough. I mean, no matter how difficult the situation was and how outnumbered she is, Aloy always acts like it's a piece of cake. Hoards of enemies? Nah, I don't need help, I'll do it alone. There is this legendary, deadly Thunderjaw roaming the land? LOL, send me after it.

Sorry, but at some point I thought it was just over the top.

Fynriel

Banned
To be honest, to me Aloy felt more like an 'avatar' a la Shepard to me as opposed to a fully fleshed out character. She had a clear motivation and some neat personal touches, but not necessarily a lot of depth, which is fine, but I wish there had been more opportunities to make dialogue choices.

Honestly? I thought they were trying a bit too much to make her tough. I mean, no matter how difficult the situation was and how outnumbered she is, Aloy always acts like it's a piece of cake. Hoards of enemies? Nah, I don't need help, I'll do it alone. There is this legendary, deadly Thunderjaw roaming the land? LOL, send me after it.

This was another problem I had, although more so in regards to how she interacts with NPCs, always ready deliver a snarky response. At first she seemed badass and cool, but it got old after a while. It's okay to be just be nice to someone once in a while. I also thought she was overly harsh towards Olin and Erend.

Peroroncino

She's also a little too idealistic for my taste, lines like: 'I don't run away when lives are in danger' make me cringe hard, feeling I'm reading 1950's Superman comic. It feels bland and cliche.

Bold One

Spoken like someone who's never faced adversity -

Aloy was shunned from birth, a literal pirayah. She has earned the right to stand tall and because that adversity has toughened her.

She's the player character, of course she will handle all situations thrown at her. Same way Nathan Drake has chipped away at entire armies or how Geralt takes down beasts and creatures of ever increasing grotesquery.

Aloy is capable through nearly two decades of hard training because she is on a mission to get answers.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
I want Guerilla to reboot the KZ franchise. For fucks sake can you imagine Helghan in the Decima engine with a good story and not rushed product...

*dribbles down there a bit*

And yes... back to topic. SUPERB design.
KZ does run on Decima...

Aloy was incredible. Beyond getting a bit cocky at points she was very clever and a step above most main characters recently.

I still don't like her name though...

s-bojan

Banned
The voice acting is amazing. Ashly Burch really nailed the character and her performance was outstanding.

I disagree.
She is often mumbling and it sounds like she is talking to herself. It could be that her voice is too low in the mix or something...

No one seems to mention how compassionate Aloy can be and how well Ashly Burch delivers those lines to sell it. She expresses herself in a multitude of ways, so it's not like she's always being snarky. Even still, I found myself thinking what she was saying when she did employ some snark, so it resonated with me.

Nya

I found Aloy incredibly boring and flat to be honest, her character felt too much of a try hard to get me to believe that she is "brave and doesn't take shit from anyone". It just didn't really click for me, her sass just wasn't that amusing and her voice actress wasn't great either (which is incredibly sad because I liked Ashely's performance in LiS). A2 was a more interesting character and she wasn't even developed that much, 2B has a lot of depth to her personality and I prefer her a lot to Aloy.

Aloy is really forgettable to me, Ellie, Morrigan, and Kaine remain to be my favorite female characters in video games.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Spoken like someone who's never faced adversity -

Aloy was shunned from birth, a literal pirayah. She has earned the right to stand tall and because that adversity has toughened her.

She's the player character, of course she will handle all situations thrown at her. Same way Nathan Drake has chipped away at entire armies or how Geralt takes down beasts and creatures of ever increasing grotesquery.

Aloy is capable through nearly two decades of hard training because she is on a mission to get answers.
I get that she's tougher than most because of her upbringing but dude, she's 19 in this game... Her toughness is completely overblown. Take no shit from the Nora? Understandable. Fighting off the crazy Shadow Carja and bloody Thunderjaws (she didn't even know there are machines this big before the game starts) like it's nothing? Yeah....

I mean, it's ok that she's like that. I don't really mind at the end of the day. But it makes her character a bit bland, unlikeable and not well written in my opinion.

From the little I have played so far, she does seem to be pretty forthright, and I like that.

If you are referring to my thread, I wasn't complaining that Aloy needed a romance option, more observing and questioning why female leads like her (and Lara Croft) often do not. Nowhere did I say the game really needed a romance option for her.

Yeah, that is a fair point. Two traditonal responses would be 'she is an independent woman, she don't need no man', or 'the male fan base don't like their main female characters to romance, so they can maintain their fantasy.'

RocknRola

Gonna be honest, did not enjoy the English VA for Aloy. Switched to Portuguese shortly after the first few missions (as adult Aloy) and never looked back. Fun thing is that the PT VA's didn't have any "star power" to them, in the sense that it's was all unknown actors cast by the voice recording studio (with GG's or Sony's supervision I'm sure) for this game.

Pleasently surprised with that.

---

As for the rest I agree, Aloy is awesome and I want to see/play more of her story :)

MTC100

Banned
Favorite Protagonist ever? Mhh.. that spot is already reserved for Geralt of Rivia, Welkin Gunther&Alicia Melchiott, J.C. Denton and Cutter Slade, Aloy doesn't "cut" it. She might be waifu material for some but I don't find her all too special.

In recent memory, well, I'd go with 9S and 2B then, even though I only played for a few hours yet, they feel already like they could be included in my alltime list.

not my favorite, far from it, but she's a great character yes, a little bit simple, but she's well written!

her design it's pretty well done too!

The only thing i didn't liked is that she can't shut up and had to say a thing at every action you do! But this is more because of the developpers rather than the character itself

Oni Jazar

I get that she's tougher than most because of her upbringing but dude, she's 19 in this game... Her toughness is completely overblown. Take no shit from the Nora? Understandable. Fighting off the crazy Shadow Carja and bloody Thunderjaws (she didn't even know there are machines this big before the game starts) like it's nothing? Yeah....

I mean, it's on that she's like that. I don't really mind at the end of the day. But it makes her character a bit bland, unlikeable and not well written in my opinion.

It hasn't bothered me at all because she always has an ace up her sleeve... her focus. It gives her a huge advantage and she knows it.

I mean, it's ok that she's like that. I don't really mind at the end of the day. But it makes her character a bit bland, unlikeable and not well written in my opinion.

it's a video game, it's rarely realist in that point of view, all main character, child, young or old peoples, are fucking monster and will defeat anything that's on their path, i mean, it's in the gameplay! I prefere that they aknowledge that in the cutscenes too, at least it's coherent, rather than like the final fantasy trope where they can fight huge monsters in gameplay, but are arrested by random soldier in cutscene

I am sloooowly getting into this more (my progress in games recently is super slow, ie: Horizon, Zelda etc) but I love Aloy. I think Ashley Burch has done a fantastic job as her VA.

Top Bottom