• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aloy is my favorite videogame protagonist in recent memory

You are the first person I've heard say that. You're right, if you are comparing it to the Transformers movies, I guess...
Several people have said that, and major reviews lauded the story. I don't know what rock you're living under, but the game's story and writing has been consistently praised.

Several people have said that, and major reviews lauded the story. I don't know what rock you're living under, but the game's story and writing has been consistently praised.
Lol, it seems you're living under a rock if you think HZD is one of the best sci-fis written. It's no even the best sci-fi game I've played this month, nevermind comparing it to literature and film.

pastrami

Lol, it seems you're living under a rock if you think HZD is one of the best sci-fis written. It's no even the best sci-fi game I've played this month, nevermind comparing it to literature and film.

What sci-fi game? Genuinely curious because sci-fi is my favorite genre.

Ferrio

Banned
Can't say I thought Aloy was anything special. Her design is great, but her character is pretty forgettable. She seems way more informed than she should, she can never do any wrong, and side characters get more fleshing out than she does.

Having come off of Nier after Horizon it became pretty apparent how boring her character was.

Muffdraul

She was great, I had no idea she was going to be so sarcastic and snarky. Some of her incidental dialogue got on my nerves for some reason. "This is helpful... bitter though!" The delivery was just... I dunno.

Memento

Can't say I thought Aloy was anything special. Her design is great, but her character is pretty forgettable. She seems way more informed than she should, she can never do any wrong, and side characters get more fleshing out than she does.

Having come off of Nier after Horizon it became pretty apparent how boring her character was.

Did you miss something called focus?...

Oh cynics, my favourite.

Aloy is great, it's one of the best new main characters I've seen, that doesn't mean it's super incredible or something.

Memento

Even with the focus it didn't feel earned. She's still young, knowledge doesn't mean wisdom.

Did you also miss that she is
the clone of one of the, if not the most intelligent person that has ever lived, Elisabeth Sobeck
?

Edit:
Her biography, in case you missed:

At age 13, Elisabet enrolled at Stanford University, graduating with a B.S. in Experimental Physics, and another degree in Computer Science three years later. In 2040, she completed her Ph.D. in Robotics and Artificial Intelligence Design at Carnegie-Mellon University, and joined Faro Automated Solutions (FAS) as a Junior Scientist. By the age of 22, she quickly rose to the rank of Chief Scientist. For the next eight years, her green robot designs played critical roles in realizing environmental cleanup and detoxification efforts in "The Claw-back" decade.

In 2048, she suddenly resigned from FAS in protest over their products shifting to automated military-technologies, and founded Miriam Technologies a year later, which was dedicated to the design and production of "life-positive" robots, and other similar creations. Miriam then became one of the world's largest suppliers of green-robots, winning numerous awards and accolades such as the 2053 Nobel Prize for Physics, and the 2056 Rachel Carson Award for Environmental Progress.

Reckheim

This annoyed me quite a bit about her as well,
I mean of course she was gonna win the prooving

Ferrio

Banned
Did you also miss that she is
the clone of one of the, if not the most intelligent person that has ever lived, Elisabeth Sobeck
?

Again knowledge doesn't equal wisdom. Also
although she's a clone, she's still herself. If you come at it from this angle it's not about Aloy anymore but about Elisabet. Elisabet was fleshed out more than Aloy imo, but they're not the same person. I think melding the two is a disservice to Aloy.

Memento

This annoyed me quite a bit about her as well,
I mean of course she was gonna win the prooving

Isnt that EVERY protagonist ever? This is like approaching colossal nitpick right here...

Also,
she literally trained her whole life for The Proving.

Again knowledge doesn't equal wisdom. Also
although she's a clone, she's still herself. If you come at it from this angle it's not about Aloy anymore but about Elisabeth. Elisabeth was fleshed out more than Aloy imo, but they're not the same person.

Yes, they are not the same person, but Aloy inherited Sobeck's cunning, she is obviously no ordinary woman.

Ohhhhh enlight us with your holy taste
I know this is bait and off topic but...

I'm partial to John W Campbell jr.
In film, take your pick - GitS, anything Verhoeven, Children of Men, Snowpiercer all come to mind without thinking too hard
I also just finished Nier Automata which I thought outdid HZD in every area except graphics and openworld.

I've already mentioned I like HZD and Aloy but I found the story and writing to be slightly above average. It will probably fall 6-7th on my personal goty list (which is awesome, considering the competition)

Relax

elhav

Honestly didn't care much for Aloy. I feel like they didn't do a good job of developing her as anything more than a smart-ass. Her voice actress wasn't amazing either. Although, I don't think the characters or character development were that game's strong suits. Sylens, Vanasha, and the dude that waits outside the bandit camps were pretty good. I don't really get the hype with 2B either. I get that she's an android and all but she seems pretty devoid of personality.
Agree with this.

She really did feel like a smart ass most of the time. Her character development was kind of non-existent besides the first 5 hours or so(which were pretty much the game's prologue) She starts a badass and finishes a badass. Hardly interesting. The writing wasn't anything special, with the exception of a few characters.

Luckily the combat and world are good enough to make this game great. Can only imagine how good it would be with good writing.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I know this is bait and off topic but...

I'm partial to John W Campbell jr.
In film, take your pick - GitS, anything Verhoeven, Children of Men, Snowpiercer all come to mind without thinking too hard
I also just finished Nier Automata which I thought outdid HZD in every area except graphics and openworld.

I've already mentioned I like HZD and Aloy but I found the story and writing to be slightly above average. It will probably fall 6-7th on my personal goty list (which is awesome, considering the competition)

Relax

oh c'mon I thought you were gonna at least talk about high brow sci fi, hahah. I was expecting you to be like "Hard to Be A God, Solaris, 2001"

RoryGamesFree

Neo Member
same!

aloy-horizon.jpg

<3 <3 <3

How can anyone hate Geralt?

Edit: Also starting to detect quite a bit of bitterness from Nier fans, its not a competition, both characters can be great.
Sorry, I'm one of the few that tried so many times to like W3 but it never clicked :(
I'm a fan of Nier, HZD and BotW.
They all do different things amazingly but I didn't really think it was the writing that elevated HZD to the great game that it is. This year has been absolutely stunning for gamers and I can't wait for the inevitable GotY shitshow

oh c'mon I thought you were gonna at least talk about high brow sci fi, hahah. I was expecting you to be like "Hard to Be A God, Solaris, 2001"
I picked mainstream stuff that most people would have consumed.
2001 is a little too obvious and I wasn't a fan of Solaris. I am kind of partial to sunshine, as well. You've given me a new one to watch. Will def. check out hard to be a god and will probably rewatch Solaris

Reckheim

Isnt that EVERY protagonist ever? This is like approaching colossal nitpick right here...

Also,
she literally trained her whole life for The Proving.

Yes, they are not the same person, but Aloy inherited Sobeck's cunning, she is obviously no ordinary woman.

The reason why Ellie and Joel are such good and lovable characters is because they are obviously not perfect.

Aloy, at least in my opinion was completely perfect; and it makes her boring.

Banned
Agreed OP. She isn't a trope femme fatale. Shes pretty but not in the Hollywood way where they subtlety or not so subtlety give them huge curves and revealing outfits. She's badass, tough, kind, always willing to do what's right and has an intriguing backstory.

I really like how she was written.

Fynriel

Banned
I think Aloy is fine, not great but also by no means bad.

But she has clear shortcomings. I think we first have to decide whether we view her as her own autonomous character or more of an avatar (this is an RPG after all) for the player and I think Aloy's a little bit of both.

She fails as a character because she's a little too flawless and that makes her shallow. She is given a clear motivation, a great visual design and (imo) voice performance and that's a great baseline for an enjoyable experience. But not much more.

She fails as a more generic player avatar, a vessel for us to roleplay (like Shepard), because dialogue choices are too rare and Aloy often responds on her own in a decidedly snarky, arrogant and defensive way as if having this great need to prove how strong and badass she is to everyone she meets. And this may well be at odds with how the player would like to rp her.

Memento

Agree with this.

She really did feel like a smart ass most of the time. Her character development was kind of non-existent besides the first 5 hours or so(which were pretty much the game's prologue) She starts a badass and finishes a badass. Hardly interesting. The writing wasn't anything special, with the exception of a few characters.

Luckily the combat and world are good enough to make this game great. Can only imagine how good it would be with good writing.

I mean, did you guys keep chosing the "smart ass" answers for the dialogue trees? Because then I guess she will be a smart ass alright. But she is much more than that and the voice acting perfectly sells her other facets.

Also, not exactly aimed to you two guys, but it seems Nier fans are taking this as a competition coming here and saying how much better 2B is. I am just rolling my eyes at these posts...

ghibli99

What cements it for me are the segments of her as a child. Really gives her depth and makes her so likable and someone you feel for from the get-go.

That being said, her jump animation is terrible, and I could do without the constant talking to herself and snarky comments. The game also doesn't need to keep telling me constantly early on that I'm an outcast. I get it.

Griss

Her design and her personality are fine, but the voice actress did a mediocre job.

Man, I felt like it was the opposite. She was pretty bland but the voice actress did everything she could with the character, making her enjoyable and likeable to be around and making you invested in her chances of success.

As for design, she and everyone else in the game is a triumph of fantastic concept art married to astonishing tech.

Honestly didn't care much for Aloy. I feel like they didn't do a good job of developing her as anything more than a smart-ass. Her voice actress wasn't amazing either. Although, I don't think the characters or character development were that game's strong suits. Sylens, Vanasha, and the dude that waits outside the bandit camps were pretty good.

I'd agree with this bar the voice acting.

I think Aloy is fine, not great but also by no means bad.

But she has clear shortcomings. I think we first have to decide whether we view her as her own autonomous character or more of an avatar (this is an RPG after all) for the player and I think Aloy's a little bit of both.

She fails as a character because she's a little too flawless and that makes her shallow. She is given a clear motivation, a great visual design and (imo) voice performance and that's a great baseline for an enjoyable experience. But not much more.

She fails as a more generic player avatar, a vessel for us to roleplay (like Shepard), because dialogue choices are too rare and Aloy often responds on her own in a decidedly snarky, arrogant and defensive way as if having this great need to prove how strong and badass she is to everyone she meets. And this may well be at odds with how the player would like to rp her.

I definitely had the feeling that she 'fell between two stools', so to speak. She was written to be quite generic so that you could treat her as a bit of an avatar, but she's clearly not an blank-slate avatar and it's clearly not a role playing game.

Memento

What cements it for me are the segments of her as a child. Really gives her depth and makes her so likable and someone you feel for from the get-go.

That being said, her jump animation is terrible, and I could do without the constant talking to herself and snarky comments.The game also doesn't need to keep telling me constantly early on that I'm an outcast. I get it.

I like it. They clearly took inspiration from Nathan Drake, and considering how beloved and iconic he is, I think people that dont like "talking to himself" characters are in the minority. It makes me feel I am actually playing as a living character instead of a robot that only talks in cutscenes.

Kumquat

Thanks to Horizon I discovered "Hey Ash Watcha Playing" on YouTube, which has been a real treat.

Same. Blows my mind that Tiny Tina and Aloy are the same voice actress. Also discovered her brother was one of the head writers for the Borderlands series which I guess explains how she got the Tiny Tina part heh.

Ashly Burch is great.

[TW]Stone

Tripwire Producer
Agreed. Her vo is not my exact cup of tea as I feel its always low and monotone

Fantastic game otherwise

Floody

Yeah, thought she was great too, but she's not my most favourite recent character, that goes to Trico, I absolutely loved that thing. Aloy has easily became one of PS best though and I can't wait to see how they develop her in the future.

Basketball

I like Aloy too

but some of the pre release images made her look like Blake Griffin

but ingame she actually looks like her real model ... (smd Bioware).

elhav

I mean, did you guys keep chosing the "smart ass" answers for the dialogue trees? Because then I guess she will be a smart ass alright. But she is much more than that and the voice acting perfectly sells her other facets.

Also, not exactly aimed to you two guys, but it seems Nier fans are taking this as a competition coming here and saying how much better 2B is. I am just rolling my eyes at these posts...
Guess I liked the smart ass options better than the cheesy or agressive ones. To be honest, I felt she was a smart ass most of the time without needing any of my help. It's the same feeling I got from the obnoxious Nathan Drake.

I followed her story all the way to the end and I still think it wasn't anything special. I don't doubt the fact she is well presented as a strong female character, but that alone isn't enough to make a character interesting. She is strong willed and fierce, and I did like it at the start of the game(The prologue, basically), but it doesn't get any better. Her character remains almost unchanged from the prologue to the end.

If it wasn't for meeting
Sylens
at around the middle of the game, I think I'd have stopped caring for the story and characters altogether.

sca2511

I liked the snarky bit of her character. I played her picking most of the smart choices with a couple of hearts. I also liked the character because she seemed agnostic, like she knew there had to be more to world than just All-Mother and the Sun.

Zakalwe

Banned
She's well designed and acted, but she didn't make much impact on me.

The entire game felt quite bland in terms of character and characters, even if the combat is fantastic.

QTrain

Neo Member
Her design is amazing. She is attractive, yet the design does not follow the idealized (in many cases outright sexualized) "beauty" pattern established by the industry, which is refreshing and very, very welcomed.

The voice acting is amazing. Ashly Burch really nailed the character and her performance was outstanding.

The writing is incredible and the story behind her is fascinating. John Gonzales just cemented his place as one of the best writers in the industry with her character (and the overall game story of course, which is amazing, especially for an open world game).

Her gameplay controls are fantastic. She is super responsive, yet there is an incredible amount of high quality animations for all her movememts, which makes the responsiveness and fluidness of the character even more impressive. Summarizing, she is a joy to control, and considering the clunkiness of character movement in big AAA open world games, it is definitely something worth pointing out!

All in all, I loved everything about her and I am starving for more Aloy already!

Agreed. Aloy is a great character with depth. Loved every minute playing as her.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Agreed OP. She's awesome. Fuck the haters, the snark and sassiness are great. <3

There's a heart interaction super late in the game that's one of my favorite moments in the game and cemented her as one of my favorite characters in gaming.

LATE GAME SPOILERS:
Picking the heart before you kill Helix. That entire interaction is fantastic .

Pfffft like I'd pick anything else but the Fist option for this moment!

Woah woah woah...
Yeah, people be talking crazy.
Not really. It's a legitimate opinion. Not sure if I share it yet, but I think I might.

Aloy is almost, almost, everything I ever wanted in a female protag. The only thing I'd like a bit more is for her to be a bit more of an anti-hero.

I get that she's tougher than most because of her upbringing but dude, she's 19 in this game... Her toughness is completely overblown. Take no shit from the Nora? Understandable. Fighting off the crazy Shadow Carja and bloody Thunderjaws (she didn't even know there are machines this big before the game starts) like it's nothing? Yeah....

I mean, it's ok that she's like that. I don't really mind at the end of the day. But it makes her character a bit bland, unlikeable and not well written in my opinion.
Did you miss those moments where she obviously feels daunted about some of the nastier machines?

Right? She
straight up wished for his death at the end and told him so.
I found it really off-putting. Not that Resh wasn't a giant douche, but I thought for sure she would be the bigger person.

She fails as a character because she's a little too flawless and that makes her shallow.
You are contradicting yourself. You literally just said she wasn't "the bigger person" and has a mean streak, and the next post you say she's flawless. Clearly she's not flawless but has a nasty, vindicative side to her.

mcz117chief

If only they fixed her hair.

It looks like a parasitic octopus is eating her brain, it makes me extremely uncomfortable looking at the gameplay videos. I don't think I could play the game without getting nauseous.

eso76

Whoa, where did you find that outfit in the game ?

eh. aloy grew up in the wilderness as a hunter and with rigorous training, its natural for her to be lean and athletic. she wasn't particularly framed as "greek goddess perfection", at least not to me understanding of that term and its undertones

I can totally understand that and i'm not even complaining. I love her look, I was just puzzled as to why the OP said she was not "idealized beauty", because she's absolute perfection.
When I say Greek Goddess i am thinking of Artemis, which makes sense.

ZeroX03

Banned
She seems inoffensive, but nothing about her particularly stood out. That goes for all of the Horizon story and characters though. I'm just skipping it all at this point.

It's weird when she chimes in to herself in the open field. She's not silent, but doesn't do it enough that it feels natural.

jdstorm

Banned
[TW]Stone;232932633 said:
Agreed. Her vo is not my exact cup of tea as I feel its always low and monotone

Fantastic game otherwise

Just a reminder. Horizon is fully dubbed in multiple languages all of which are easily accessible and seem to be excelent. If your native language bothers you, try a non native language.

Top Bottom