• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kadokawa (Metal Max, Demon Gaze) purchases From Software

Recall

So unusual. Will be interesting to see how they will release games in the west and hopefully nothing changes too much.

FROM was one of the few (only?) really notable independent game studios in JP. I guess they'll have a steady publisher now in Kadokawa for their domestic releases. I wonder if they'll still be getting other publishers with Western presence to publish overseas, or if Kadokawa will begin publishing their own games in the Western markets.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Man if they made a co-op dark fantasy action RPG, think PSO type of design with the dark souls setting on a hand held / PS4 they would be getting very rich, very fast.

Though personally Id rather have it on a single platform as multi-plat will always bring one side down.

FROM was one of the few (only?) really notable independent game studios in JP. I guess they'll have a steady publisher now in Kadokawa for their domestic releases. I wonder if they'll still be getting other publishers with Western presence to publish overseas, or if Kadokawa will begin publishing their own games in the Western markets.

Id say more like it will continue with Kadokawa negotiating with companies that they would choose to do the publishing overseas. Otherwise having to set up all their own stuff would be a huge pain in the ass / expensive. So dont really see that changing. I think for example they shut down their anime licensing side in the US? Kadokawa Pictures or something.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Here's the press release:

Kadokawa said:
【NEWS RELEASE】
2014年4月28日
株式会社 KADOKAWA

「株式会社フロム・ソフトウェア」株式取得(子会社化)のお知らせ

株式会社KADOKAWA(本社:東京都千代田区、代表取締役社長:松原眞樹 以下KADOKAWA)は、
株式会社フロム・ソフトウェア(本社:東京都渋谷区、代表取締役社長:神直利、以下フロム・ソフト
ウェア)の株式を取得し、子会社化することといたしましたのでお知らせします。

フロム・ソフトウェアは、家庭用ゲーム機向けハイエンドゲームの開発および販売を主力事業として
おり、「DARK SOULS」、「アーマード・コア」、「天誅」等の人気シリーズを有し、2013年には海外の有力ゲ
ーム情報誌 EDGE が選ぶ「世界のゲーム開発スタジオランキング」において、第 8 位に選出されました。
2014年3月に国内はフロム•ソフトウェアより、海外では株式会社バンダイナムコゲームス様より発売を
開始した PlayStation® 3、Xbox 360、PC 向け「DARK SOULS II」は、全世界で多くのファンに支持され
ています。家庭用ゲーム機における3Dアクションとアートに加え、深みのあるゲーム性、そして独自の
高い技術力により、国内外から注目されているゲーム開発会社です。

KADOKAWA はフロム・ソフトウェアをKADOKAWAの100%子会社である株式会社角川ゲームス(東
京都千代田区、代表取締役社長:安田善巳、以下角川ゲームス)と共に、グループのゲーム事業の中核
会社と位置付け、事業を展開する予定です。フロム・ソフトウェアと角川ゲームスの両社は、それぞれ
の得意分野を生かしながら両社の事業を共に拡大発展させるための連携に向けた協議を重ねて参りまし
たところ、フロム・ソフトウェアがKADOKAWAグループに加わり、角川ゲームスとのシナジー効果を
発揮することが最善の策であるとの合意に至り、株式取得を行うことになりました。

今後、フロム・ソフトウェアは、角川ゲームスとの間で企画、開発、販売における資源を相互活用し、
両社の強みを生かした新しいIPおよびゲームの制作、成長が見込まれる海外市場や新しいゲームプラッ
トフォームを見据えた事業展開を行い、グループ各社と連携したネット・デジタル、グローバル市場へ
の進出も積極的に行っていく予定です。

なお、フロム・ソフトウェアの会社概要は以下のとおりです。
1)設 立 : 1986年 11月1日
2)資 本 金 : 2億6,850万円
3)主な事業内容 : ゲームソフトの企画・開発・販売、インターネット上のコンテンツの企画・開発
4)代 表 者 : 代表取締役社長 神 直利
5)従 業 員 数 : 230名(2013年10月)
Source: http://ir.kadokawa.co.jp/topics/20140428fms_fi.pdf

Why should it be? It went and harmed itself apparently, seeing the reaction coming from people and the press.

Truthfully the smart thing would be to put it on ice for a while and try something else new or go back to the roots. As they obviously overstretched themselves a bit.

What are you talking about? Most people seem to love Dark Souls II, aside from a minority who outright hate it.

It may not be everyone's favorite Souls game but it's anywhere far from harmed. Personally I've been playing the PC release and it's my favorite of the Dark series (don't have a PS3 to play Demon's on).

Kadoka just purchased 9477 shares of 9715 corresponding to FromSoftware. That represents approximately 80% of the company. Approx.

The transfer will be made effective on May 21.

zulux21

so after a bit of time to digest this news I think my conclusion is....

ARMORED CORE TEAM + FULL METAL PANIC..... GO!!!!!

>.>

it seems that kadokawa also has some rights to Evangelion (at least by what I am looking at which may or may not be accurate)

looking at what anime/manga they are involved with though it is hard to deny they are friends with Namco though lol.

Odrion

Banned
Why should it be? It went and harmed itself apparently, seeing the reaction coming from people and the press.
The really harsh "criticisms" seem to be coming from a very vocal minority coming from Miyazaki evangelists. Dark Souls 2 rules in it's own right.

MidBoss

In before:
ikZp4mGS7Mmal.jpg

Parakeetman

Wait FROM and Kadokawa are making an IP together.......I dunno how I feel about that :/

Kadokawa has ties with lots of writers / media companies, From has a ton of talent in the game development field.

Dont really see what the problem is?

Abriael

Banned
Out of curiosity do they note what the "new platforms" are?

No they don't. "with an eye on new game platform and in the west where growth is expected" is the wording. Hopefully they mean next gen and not mobile lol.

The fact that it mentions in the west in the same sentence makes me feel it's next gen, since the mobile craze is stronger in Japan.

While they're far from a great publisher I do think they're willing to throw around a few $20+ million budgets, which I'm not entirely convinced of Kadokawa yet, but your other statement suggests they might be willing to.

Well, Kadokawa HAS money. A whole lot of money. But yeah, it'll depend on whether they'll be willing to invest it.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I don't know much about their track record, but I really, really hope that FROM will get the financial support they need to continue putting out fantastic games.

I know they don't need a crazy budget to make an incredible game (Dark Souls 1) but I'd love for them to have all the support they might ever need.

We'll see how this progresses.

Instro

Truthfully the smart thing would be to put it on ice for a while and try something else new or go back to the roots. As they obviously overstretched themselves a bit.

Maybe I'm missing something but if we are using the press as a indicator of quality then Dark Souls 2 is apparently better than the original Dark Souls.

Bebpo

Banned
And another nail in the coffin for the Japanese game industry :\

Yeah, I do not expect this to have positive effects on FROM games.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
No they don't. "with an eye on new game platform and in the west where growth is expected" is the wording. Hopefully they mean next gen and not mobile lol.

The fact that it mentions in the west in the same sentence makes me feel it's next gen, since the mobile craze is stronger in Japan.

Given the rest of the press release that's my assumption as well, but with Japan I always feel the need to ask. :p

Beth Cyra

I don't see how this is really a negative effect on From either.

FROM has shown that their teams are completely capable of imploding all on their own. ACE Portable and ACE R as well as Unicorn was a huge step back from ACE 2/3 and that was with no body bothering them at all.

If Souls drops in quality it wouldn't automatically be because of the buy out.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
What the fuuuuuuuuck??? What does this mean

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?

Toxi

Banned
Unsure how to feel. At first I thought this was no issue...
To me the disappointing part of this is that Kadokawa spends very little money on their games, and have a poor track record with identifying and supporting quality.

Unless they intend to change their behavior, I'd have rather a larger publisher bought them.
But this is somewhat worrying.

I would wait and see on that. I wouldn't be calling doom and gloom yet on if their dead. also this maybe more of Kadokawa seeing this as an opportunity to expand their games division, with having a respected and profitable studio under their belt.

All I'll say on this is that I would just heed with some level of caution, but I wouldn't be too gloom and doom on this situation yet.

Parakeetman

Kadokawa supports the vita, dark souls/Armoured core vita confirmed?

With financial backing from Kadokawa, quite possibly things like that could happen. As From would have had to pick and choose with what type of projects it undertakes with its own budget. But now having a parent company...

Though the PSP AC titles were decent within Japan so would be interesting to see a Vita version in the future.

TheChaos0

This is probably a good thing. Kadokawa has been investing into their own studio, which is fairly new. My guess they wanted to expand a little and bought From. I'm not why it had to be From though. Maybe they were the only ones for sale.

Another interesting thing is that Kadowaka is more likely to develop on PS4, whether it's cross gen or not, is another question. They also have been supporting Vita very well

Kadokawa has ties with lots of writers / media companies, From has a ton of talent in the game development field.

Dont really see what the problem is?

I think that our main concern is that money, connections and talent doesn't automatically means "quality and success" as some buyouts of other talented studios by giant media firms (eager to expand their gaming business) have resulted in disasters and layoffs.

The close comparasion will be if Disney Interactive bought Double Fine or Mojang. Still, Kadokawa seems to have better grasp and expectations of the core market. Just hoping that they realize that FROM is now kind of AAA material and that they also need to step up to realize FROM potential.

fedexpeon

Banned
Japan Studio needs talent for that Demon Souls 2 game...Just saying.

But wow, unexpected buyout though.
I know Kadokawa is a huge publisher within the anime/manga industry, and very few for game unless it is anime-theme.
Could be a good thing though since Kadokawa can bank roll From Software for next gen AC/DS series.
I would like to see a good next gen AC game...add in more crazy anime stuff too so we can pretend it is a ZOE game since that series is dead =(.

What are the chances that we might see some more manga/anime cross-promotions with future Souls releases?

They could do some cool promotional work involving the covenants in-between games. Showing how some came to provenance & how others have dwindled.

Kadokawa supports the vita, dark souls/Armoured core vita confirmed?
God bless your tongue.

Although a Souls game on handheld is hard to digest, as in we don't know if it can work, the prospect of getting one on the Vita is too good. It will also enhance the appeal of the hardware in the hardcore market.

AHA-Lambda

To me the disappointing part of this is that Kadokawa spends very little money on their games, and have a poor track record with identifying and supporting quality.

Unless they intend to change their behavior, I'd have rather a larger publisher bought them.

Oh God :(

Beth Cyra

so is this bad? i'm super ignorant about this company and everything

They are making a new IP targeted towards the west.

Aside from that we haven't heard anything, and given their past I don't see them screwing with FROM. At the very least it's neutral event leaning towards positive.

What I wouldn't give for that to have read Sony or Nintendo. No idea what to think now since I'm ignorant to this company or how this stuff actually works.

zkylon

zkylewd
They are making a new IP targeted towards the west.

Aside from that we haven't heard anything, and given their past I don't see them screwing with FROM. At the very least it's neutral event leaning towards positive.
No. Kadokawa has money comparable to if not greater than most other Japanese publishers, and for better or worse a willingness to green light a lot of things.
cool, seems like it's just stability and money-fuel for from then

thank you both for replying

Toxi

Banned
Japan Studio needs talent for that Demon Souls 2 game...Just saying.

But wow, unexpected buyout though.
I know Kadokawa is a huge publisher within the anime/manga industry, and very few for game unless it is anime-theme.
Could be a good thing though since Kadokawa can bank roll From Software for next gen AC/DS series.
I would like to see a good next gen AC game...add in more crazy anime stuff too so we can pretend it is a ZOE game since that series is dead =(.
Demon's Souls 2 isn't happening. I don't know why people are adamant on it when From and Sony have no reason to pursue it.
God bless your tongue.

Although a Souls game on handheld is hard to digest, as in we don't know if it can work, the prospect of getting one on the Vita is too good. It will also enhance the appeal of the hardware in the hardcore market.
It can work. Souls is one of those games you can play in bite-size chunks thanks to constant saving. It would probably also grab some of that Monster Hunting local multiplayer community.

Demon's Souls 2 isn't happening. I don't know why people are adamant on it when From and Sony have no reason to pursue it.

It can work. Souls is one of those games you can play in bite-size chunks thanks to constant saving. It would probably also grab some of that Monster Hunting local multiplayer community.

I'm guessing the poster is referring to the Sony x FROM project.

Shinta

Banned
A new IP is exactly what they need to do now. They've basically made the exact same game 3x now. It's a fine game, but by the time they hit 4x, I guarantee people will start to tire of it.

Top Bottom