• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5: Plus announced for PSVita

Respawn

Banned
Interesting. It looks like the most impressive fighter on the Vita from a technical standpoint, but there's still a pretty big drop from the console versions.

I'll buy it. Really hope it has some new content though.

EDIT: Just noticed, there's only 22 character slots. DOA 5 has 24 characters.

Yeah the player count but how the hell are you judging quality from that video?? It's smooth but vid is quite blurry.

Smaller character roster is disappointing. Twenty-two slots, and one likely reserved for random, probably means no added characters.

wtf? Uhmm thats not true

some bigger images:

25.jpg

261.jpg

27.jpg
28.jpg

29.jpg

Much better

http://jin115.com/archives/51916987.html

The game is 60FPS.

They are trying to make it up to the same quality as the PS3/360 versions.

And there we go

From what I can tell from the blurry-footage, the game looks pretty impressive on the Vita. Not much detail seems to be lost, visually, and will definitely be the most visually impressive Vita fighting game. Gonna be the first Vita fighting game I buy at launch, DOA games are among the only fighting games I seem to be any good at.

Dantis

Yeah the player count but how the hell are you judging quality from that video?? It's smooth but vid is quite blurry.

Obviously, we can't see the textures and mesh quality, but it's pretty easy to notice the significant drop in lighting and effects.

Obviously, we can't see the textures and mesh quality, but it's pretty easy to notice the significant drop in lighting and effects.
And the drop in facial detail is also pretty evident from those off-screen television pics.

Nothing unexpected, though. 60fps and (hopefully) native resolution will make this a stunner nonetheless.

Dantis

And the drop in facial detail is also pretty evident from those off-screen television pics.

Nothing unexpected, though. 60fps and (hopefully) native resolution will make this a stunner nonetheless.

Yep, agree completely. DOA5 has the best looking characters I've ever seen in a fighter. There was no way the Vita version would equal it, unfortunately.

There's already new costumes announced for NGS2+.

Sure, I just don't believe they're actually new costumes. Have you seen the new costumes on Razor's Edge? All re-used. The closest thing is Momiji's costume, which is a recoloured version of her NG3 outfit.

According to the report on the Vita demonstration, development on this port didn't begin until after the PS3/360 version was already released. That means only about two months of dev time so far - that makes what we're seeing even more impressive.

Also, the report stated that the developers achieved 60fps very early on in the cycle. It looks like they've made sacrifices in the right places (poly count, shaders/effects) rather than in IQ and framerate.

ex. Dat ponytail. But it'll be barely noticeable during combat - wise choices.

MKmyh.png

So freaking excited for this.

Dantis

I hadn't even noticed that, haha.

It's cool though, compared to games like Mortal Kombat and even SFxT, it looks astounding.

Mario007

According to the report on the Vita demonstration, development on this port didn't begin until after the PS3/360 version was already released. That means only about two months of dev time so far - that makes what we're seeing even more impressive.

Also, the report stated that the developers achieved 60fps very early on in the cycle. It looks like they've made sacrifices in the right places (poly count, shaders/effects) rather than in IQ and framerate.

ex. Dat ponytail. But it'll be barely noticeable during combat - wise choices.

MKmyh.png

So freaking excited for this.
Well Sony did say they wanted PS3 titles to be easily portable to the Vita when NGP was announced. Didn't they show a MGS4 demo that only took 2 weeks to port?

Sintoid

Well Sony did say they wanted PS3 titles to be easily portable to the Vita when NGP was announced. Didn't they show a MGS4 demo that only took 2 weeks to port?

So they said... let's hope that finally develoers have learned how to manage this feature... the results of this team ninja are now quite impressive, maybe a chance for a good ninja gaiden sigma plus 3? (lol)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Well, if they're using that PS3 downport feature, maybe Sigma 2+ won't be completely ass like NG1S+. :/

Also I can't really tell what you guys mean by the Ponytail from that zoomed in blurry shot.

Well, if they're using that PS3 downport feature, maybe Sigma 2+ won't be completely ass like NG1S+. :/

Also I can't really tell what you guys mean by the Ponytail from that zoomed in blurry shot.
The ponytail is very angular, suggesting a lower poly count compared to the console versions.

Regarding the MGS4 demo - remember that developers still can't unlock the full power of Vita since Sony underclocked the processor. Based on how it went with PSP, that means lazy devs can't reach 60fps too easily, and generally lower geometry, less simulated physics, and overall "stuff" going on.

So even if straight ports were theoretically possible, battery and heat concerns mean they wouldn't be feasible.

The ponytail is very angular, suggesting a lower poly count compared to the console versions.

Regarding the MGS4 demo - remember that developers still can't unlock the full power of Vita since Sony underclocked the processor. Based on how it went with PSP, that means lazy devs can't reach 60fps too easily, and generally lower geometry, less simulated physics, and overall "stuff" going on.

So even if straight ports were theoretically possible, battery and heat concerns mean they wouldn't be feasible.

That demo was not running on a vita. It was running on a pc (not even sure if it was a devkit) with hardware similar to what they THOUGHT the Vita (ngp at the time) was going to be, which ended up being inferior.

And no straight PS3 ports will never be possible. (Well, fully fledge PS3 games anyway, obviously games like Limbo are possible lol)

The drop in resolution alone isn't enough for it to handle everything else.

Spiegel

That demo was not running on a vita. It was running on a pc (not even sure if it was a devkit) with hardware similar to what they THOUGHT the Vita (ngp at the time) was going to be, which ended up being inferior.

And you know this, how? Considering some demos were played on actual Vita devkits in that meeting.

And you know this, how? Considering some demos were played on actual Vita devkits in that meeting.

And you know this how? All we saw was videos, videos of stuff that would never run on a Vita that we have right now. Just like the original MGS4 demo didn't end up looking like that on PS3 but that's another story.

VRAM was cut in half (256 to 128) and iirc RAM was also cut from 1gb to 512, although the 1gb could just be the typical devkit overhead. So whatever they were running on back then it would never be possible on a Vita, let alone the fact that they were simply tech demos not running on an actual vita.

It is absolutely delusional to think that the Vita can run straight ports of PS3 games.

And you know this how? All we saw was videos, videos of stuff that would never run on a Vita that we have right now. Just like the original MGS4 demo didn't end up looking like that on PS3 but that's another story.

VRAM was cut in half (256 to 128) and iirc RAM was also cut from 1gb to 512, although the 1gb could just be the typical devkit overhead. So whatever they were running on back then it would never be possible on a Vita, let alone the fact that they were simply tech demos not running on an actual vita.

It is absolutely delusional to think that the Vita can run straight ports of PS3 games.

For once we agree! :p But seriously this just feels like a repetition in history from Sony. They said almost the same thing about the PSP (at least it was hyped to be) a portable PS2. Instead we got a PS1,5. I get the feeling Sony need a direction with their portables, it's like they release it saying it's a portable version of their current main console, thus disappointing most players and leaving developers baffled as to why they should make games specific to their portable. They end up being games that could have just been on the main console and be far more enjoyed on a big screen.

Spiegel

We saw Uncharted running and being played on the device. The other videos were tech demos

And I need a source better than "iirc" about these cuts. Leaked specs were 1GB on the devkits and 512MB in the final, so the same difference between most devkits vs final hardware. There were rumors about Sony cutting 512MB to 256MB but they weren't true.

The only cut that seems to have happened was a lower than expected CPU clock due to heat concerns (battery concerns more likely).

And no one is saying that Vita can run straight PS3 ports. But Team Ninja having DOA5 up and running at 60 fps in 2 months means that porting is easy, as Sony said, even if you have to reduce shaders, models, textures,...

We saw Uncharted running and being played on the device. The other videos were tech demos

And I need a source better than "iirc" about these cuts. Leaked specs were 1GB on the devkits and 512MB in the final, so the same difference between most devkits vs final hardware. There were rumors about Sony cutting 512MB to 256MB but they weren't true.

The only cut that seems to have happened was a lower than expected CPU clock due to heat concerns (battery concerns more likely).

And no one is saying that Vita can run straight PS3 ports. But Team Ninja having DOA5 up and running at 60 fps in 2 months means that porting is easy, as Sony said, even if you have to reduce shaders, models, textures,...
So... you are agreeing with me? I never said porting isn't easy. Maybe you should read what I was replying to instead of just jumping on me.

And why are you bringing Uncharted when it's more then clear it isn't a straight port now that the game is out? What I quoted was about MGS4 demo anyway.

You are also just repeating what I said about the RAM just being normal devkits overhead, but VRAM was cut to 128MB.

Spiegel

So... you are agreeing with me? I never said porting isn't easy. Maybe you should read what I was replying to instead of just jumping on me.

And why are you bringing Uncharted when it's more then clear it isn't a straight port now that the game is out? What I quoted was about MGS4 demo anyway.

You are also just repeating what I said about the RAM just being normal devkits overhead, but VRAM was cut to 128MB.

You should also read what I was replying because I was asking about your source about the cuts on the hardware and not Vita running PS3 games. The MGS4 NGP demo was running at lower framerate (30 vs 20 fps iirc) and had many elements missing from the scene. The only graphical intensive assets were Snake and the Mark-II. Kojima didn't imply that they were running MGS4 PS3 as it was on a Vita.

I'm bringing Uncharted because you said it was all video and nothing was running on the hardware.

And what's your source for the VRAM cut because I've never seen it mentioned, not even as a rumor. There's no need to get defensive, I only wanted to know how did you know that information.

You should also read what I was replying because I was asking about your source about the cuts on the hardware and not Vita running PS3 games. The MGS4 NGP demo was running at lower framerate (30 vs 20 fps iirc) and had many elements missing from the scene. The only graphical intensive assets were Snake and the Mark-II. Kojima didn't imply that they were running MGS4 PS3 as it was on a Vita.

I'm bringing Uncharted because you said it was all video and nothing was running on the hardware.

And what's your source for the VRAM cut because I've never seen it mentioned, not even as a rumor.

My source is GAF, it was pretty widely discussed here back then, and it's not exactly a secret the Vita only ended up with 128VRAM

NG3 and DOA5 on consoles also use dynamic resolution. Somewhat noticeable on my 32-inch LCD.

NGS+ always seemed super sharp to me, even with a ton of enemies on the screen. I guess it's harder to tell on a 5-inch screen.

Ran rp

Weren't those cuts just rumors that had been debunked?

kuroshiki

Ninja Gaiden plus was very well done port. I trust Team Ninja.

It's freaking DOA5 on portable, on the go folks. I don't see any reason for complain.

Squire

Banned
I hope they add a beach stage, preferably with a version during the day and one with a sunset. No beach stage with all these bikinis is silly.

racerx77

Banned
Question.. PSvita is more powerful than xbox 1, right? Just wondering about the drop in framerate on Ninja Gaiden. I still think the game is great, with some nice visuals, but I was a bit shocked to see 30fps.

Bullza2o

Oh nice. All these recent Vita news makes me happy as a Vita owner.

At least there's some things after Persona 4 Golden that I would like to buy.

Vita + 3DS shall keep entertaining me for quite some time.

VanWinkle

Question.. PSvita is more powerful than xbox 1, right? Just wondering about the drop in framerate on Ninja Gaiden. I still think the game is great, with some nice visuals, but I was a bit shocked to see 30fps.

That's because it was the PS3 engine, not the Xbox engine.

Dantis

NGS+ was visually closer to NGS than NGB. Pretty sure the characters were just about directly ported from the PS3 version.

expel

another offscreen video of DOA5 plus on vita
http://youtu.be/4_PoP0VcHjQ
60 fps....yeah camera moves after victory so you can see that ass...he's making joke about putting in the touch the screen to make boobs juggle..lol

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Top Bottom