• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix: Final Fantasy XV "greatest contributor", fastest-selling FF (6 million)

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
We could all do with a little less ad-hominem, gloating and 'salt' in general, and I'd say if it's inevitable based on past threads, then those threads were problematic.

Hence, keep it civil.

Hope the team is looking at NRS/Injustice related threads with the same outlook because its very similar.

LordKasual

Banned
No it's not.

It's a thread about a statement regarding FFXV's sales performance

However as there doesn't seem to be any particular discussion outside of an extension of the same personal attacks against the development team, the same passive-aggressive backseat moderation, and the same few people with a holier-than-thou outlook who can't possibly imagine why other people might have a different view on the title (on both sides, mind you) this might as well be virtually any other thread regarding the game. Your post isn't helping any.

I'm going to have to ask the thread to be civil before bans start being handed out.

XV threads are never about the things they always rapidly decay into.

That childish post of mine doesn't do anything to help steer the conversation out of the ditch...but the conversation does always end up in a ditch...which i suppose is an entirely subjective outlook.

Oh well. No more HypeBoyZ :(

I'm a diehard Versus and will forever want to see the story of Versus 13, with Stella, with the original cast and a story that was hinted to be much darker but the idea that FFXV's greatness comes from Versus is bullshit.

Yes the attachment to characters is there and the story was badly executed but the best thing about FFXV is its moment to moment gameplay. I was so pleasantly surprised at how well executed the battle system is, how it requires skill but unlike many turn based RPG you could punch well above your level, how they managed to replicate something as complex as Noctis' teleportation in a meaningful manner. The attention to detail in the character interactions during gameplay is second to none in a rpg. The art style/design is beautiful and the OST will go down as one of the greats.

FFXV is loved due to being FFXV: a game that is very different to what Versus was meant to be. Hats of to Tabata and team for making one of the best modern JRPGs.

fireflame

I hope those good numbers will incite them to keep porting the game to new systems, can't wait to play it on pc:)

The only minus thing that bothers me is the impossibility to summon Aeons whenever you want, but then it is hard to balance Aeons properly.

If this was not for the episodic release system i would be enthusiastic for FF7 's remake as well.

Squire

Banned
Jesus Christ.

Edit: If you guy's aren't here to comment on the topic of the thread and are here just to lob insults at Tabata, the dev team, and anyone who likes the game, go find somewhere else to do that.

When did you join the moderation team? Get over yourself.

Jotakori

I won't deny XV definitely disappointed me, but I'm glad it has done well by square's standards. This means more FFs will happen, and since every final fantasy is different even though I wasn't happy with XV I could very well love the next game.
(Especially since my major gripes were how inconsistent many things felt, how incomplete its presentation of the story came across, and how underdeveloped (and off screen) the characters seemed -- which no doubt was mostly due to the troubled development of the game. Keep away the midway director and story switch-ups and 10-year-resulting delays and I think the next game will be much better in these areas.)

And who knows maybe by the time all the patches and dlc episodes are out, I'll give XV another go and actually feel satisfied with it then. /fingers crossed
Plus I know one up-side I see to this (that many will probably disagree with lol) is we now have a mainline FF with action combat - which is my favorite, so if this spells more real time combat in the future I will be super stoked.

LordKasual

Banned
I won't deny XV definitely disappointed me, but I'm glad it has done well by square's standards. This means more FFs will happen, and since every final fantasy is different even though I wasn't happy with XV I could very well love the next game.
(Especially since my major gripes were how inconsistent many things felt, how incomplete its presentation of the story came across, and how underdeveloped (and off screen) the characters seemed -- which no doubt was mostly due to the troubled development of the game. Keep away the midway director and story switch-ups and 10-year-resulting delays and I think the next game will be much better in these areas.)

And who knows maybe by the time all the patches and dlc episodes are out, I'll give XV another go and actually feel satisfied with it then. /fingers crossed
Plus I know one up-side I see to this (that many will probably disagree with lol) is we now have a mainline FF with action combat - which is my favorite, so if this spells more real time combat in the future I will be super stoked.

Just wait!

My personal (very optimistic) view is that these "Episode X" DLCs are them slowly working up a version of FFXV that will just patch in the ability to swap between party members during combat. They did mention co-op play. So at the very least, we're looking at a version of the game with co-op multiplayer combat...probably online-only, but co-op nonetheless.

But it looks clear that they are actively trying to polish XV's gameplay and the systems around it. They even want to add in the off-roads car that they previously said was just too much work to bother with. And then there's the PC version which they wont stop hinting at.

At the very least, even if XV doesn't do it for some people, I think it's safe to be excited for whatever they might come up with for XVI, considering they're using the experience from this game.

Didn't realize that many people hated FFXV. First final fantasy I've beaten since X. Might end up getting the season pass now
gaf is a strange place sometimes. It also hates Destiny, one of the most successful new IP ever, with a crazy devoted user base and some and genuinely one of the more influential and important IP this generation.

I was waiting for more updates before I pick up FF15 myself, but I never take GAF seriously with the collective mindset on hardly anything. Case in point, Zelda BotW is not that amazing to me. Good game, but certainly not on my GOTG list or anything.

Kaizer

Banned
AthleticAssuredBonobo-size_restricted.gif

Tabata won

TABATA DA GAWD

Firenze1

Banned
gaf is a strange place sometimes. It also hates Destiny, one of the most successful new IP ever, with a crazy devoted user base and some and genuinely one of the more influential and important IP this generation.

I was waiting for more updates before I pick up FF15 myself, but I never take GAF seriously with the collective mindset on hardly anything. Case in point, Zelda BotW is not that amazing to me. Good game, but certainly not on my GOTG list or anything.

Maybe because the game shipped incomplete? SE isnt even hiding it.

Zelda lived up to my expectations; FFXV did not.

Squire

Banned
Sales just aren't an indicator of quality. Suggests the work itself is lacking in merit when the defense for it rolls out "well tons of people bought it."

Tons of people eat at McDonalds every week and go to see Transformers films every year, too.

It's a completely vapid defense of anything.

You're certainly one to talk...

Am I though? I post opinions and argue others, I can be harsh of tongue. But I don't go out of my way to make people feel unwelcome and I certainly don't advise they vacate threads when they present points I disagree with or in a way I don't like.

I don't care if you pull apart my arguments. At least you're within your boundaries then.

Edit: Yeah, you edited. Challenge points or don't, my dude. Dunno what else to tell you.

Jotakori

Just wait!

My personal (very optimistic) view is that these "Episode X" DLCs are them slowly working up a version of FFXV that will just patch in the ability to swap between party members during combat. They did mention co-op play. So at the very least, we're looking at a version of the game with co-op multiplayer combat...probably online-only, but co-op nonetheless.

But it looks clear that they are actively trying to polish XV's gameplay and the systems around it. They even want to add in the off-roads car that they previously said was just too much work to bother with. And then there's the PC version which they wont stop hinting at.

At the very least, even if XV doesn't do it for some people, I think it's safe to be excited for whatever they might come up with for XVI, considering they're using the experience from this game.

Those things are all very cool, but I actually don't care if I can switch between party members or drive off-road very much. I also didn't have any problems with the gameplay and system they had, either. I just wanted more cut scenes, dang it. TT_TT
Although I hope those things can happen for the sake of others!

But I agree with your sentiment at the end -- even if XV didn't do it for me I still have a lot of optimism for XVI!

Lesson learned by SE: Story content doesn't matter, just create a world with generic quests and slap characters on it and you'll sell 6 million.

The real reason it sold that many was the long wait and insane hype. Not deserved, but at least the FF franchise isn't dead and there is hope for the future.

Yeah, pretty much my takeaway. Not sure whether I should be optimistic or pessimistic going forward. Think I'll just settle for being glad the series will continue…for now.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I didn't enjoy 15 but I'm still glad it's a success. The only thing I'm afraid of is they try and release another car adventure type FF bc 15 sold well and I really really didn't like the way this game handled travel or story. The combat was bueno though for sure.

I'm not fat enough to have a final opinion on the game yet but I'm not big on the battle system.

Honestly, despite their flaws, I think XIII and XIII-2 are better. Simply because I think the battle systems are better and I honestly wasn't impressed by the open world.

But it's a game that a lot of people put effort into. And it's certainly a GOOD game at least. It's good that it was a success. I just hope XVI takes the lessons learned from XV and applies them to a modern turn based system. A more open game with the battle system of XIII is my current dream game.

Squire

Banned
We already had a warning from a mod Squire. Let's not keep digging the hole.

I'm not digging a hole by not being mindlessly flattering in my posts about this game. You should've read the "stuff" in the post you quoted. Falk said to be civil. I am.

Gonna keep being critical, too.

Slater

Banned
I'm not digging a hole by not being mindlessly flattering in my posts about this game. You should've read the "stuff" in the post you quoted. Falk said to be civil. I am.

Gonna keep being critical, too.
Calling Tabata a sociopath isn't really being critical, its just insulting him outta personal dislike

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Final Fantasy II exists. If you don't like FF15 that's fine but don't go swinging around big claims like that.

If you really think 15 is the worst of the main entries than you haven't played some of the original 1-5 because some of those games are real fucking stinkers.

I've beaten FFI 5 times, FFII 3 times, FFIII 2 times, FFIV 5 times, and FFV 2 times.

All 5 of these games are much better than FFXV, which I put 199 hours into.

The only main entry that I could consider worse than XV is XIII, but it's real close. With all the new story content being added though I'm sure I'll be able to say that confidently eventually. MAYBE one could consider VIII worse, based on gameplay alone, but the characters and story blow XV out of the water.

It's really not a big claim at all to say XV is the worst mainline game.

Slater

Banned
I've beaten FFI 5 times, FFII 3 times, FFIII 2 times, FFIV 5 times, and FFV 2 times.

All 5 of these games are much better than FFXV, which I put 199 hours into.

The only main entry that I could consider worse than XV is XIII, but it's real close. With all the new story content being added though I'm sure I'll be able to say that confidently eventually. MAYBE one could consider VIII worse, based on gameplay alone, but the characters and story blow XV out of the water.

As long as XIV Vanilla was a thing calling XV even close to the worst is a bold face lie

So we're just gonna keep going round and round?

Fine let's change the topic a tiny bit.

REGARDLESS of what any of us might think about XV and it's director, it sold well and we should be happy. Why? Cause that gives us a chance to get more Final Fantasy games with hopefully more time in development before an announcement and with more confidence.

We shouldn't be pulling our hair out and lashing at each other about this. Everyone has a favorite and a least favorite. I really don't like II but I shouldn't be going around each thread letting everyone know how terrible the game was.

Shredderi

I don't like the game at all so I can't really say I'm too happy about it doing good if it means more of it's likes in the future FF games.

Squire

Banned
So we're just gonna keep going round and round?

Fine let's change the topic a tiny bit.

REGARDLESS of what any of us might think about XV and it's director, it sold well and we should be happy. Why? Cause that gives us a chance to get more Final Fantasy games with hopefully more time in development before an announcement and with more confidence.

We shouldn't be pulling our hair out and lashing at each other about this. Everyone has a favorite and a least favorite. I really don't like II but I shouldn't be going around each thread letting everyone know how terrible the game was.

What about concerns this game will influence games going forward? Rumors and job listings for SE may already suggest it will. I don't like most design decisions in XV and don't want them carried forward much if at all. Is that concern not valid?

theofficefan99

Just popped XV back in for about 2 hours, one of the two times since I beat it in December.

I honestly hate the open world in this game. There's nothing interesting to see, none of the NPC's are interesting, and quite honestly I got tired of the shallow chatter between the guys really quickly. World is also empty too hence the random dropships and random daemons at night to fill the void. The map when trying to use the car also straight-up doesn't work and is buggy as hell. I'm surprised this hasn't been fixed. I hate how hunts are usually 1 mile or more away, meaning it's either using a chocobo for 5 minutes, staring at a loading screen, or using the car. The car sucks. Traveling in this game is a pain in the ass. The only quality optional content are the optional dungeons. I liked the one or two optional army bases as well.

The combat can be fun... if I could see what's going on, which is like 10% of the time. There's potential quality stuff in here. Even if the camera wasn't total ass I'd still have some issues with it (such as lack of techniques and control over party member AI) but I would definitely be a fan of the combat.

I honestly enjoy running around the Chapter 14 area and fighting mobs there rather than completing dull errands in Lucis. Beautiful environment, beautiful music, cool enemies, and it's a story location.

If they're going to continue with open worlds I really hope they actually make it fun to traverse, there's a wide variety of locations, and they don't completely sacrifice the story (and the cutscene budget) to make it possible.

What about concerns this game will influence games going forward? Rumors and job listings for SE may already suggest it will. I don't like most design decisions in XV and don't want them carried forward much if at all. Is that concern not valid?

Mainline Final Fantasy have scrapped everything from the previous game for about 15 years now, so i think you can rest easy on that issue.

Ok then I'll stop with my "white knighting" and instead get back on topic since this isn't going anywhere with the same thing. I'm not an exec at Square Enix so I don't know what's next.

My question is does this success mean we have a better chance of getting XV on Steam? I know it's been thrown around a couple of times but we've had no confirmation so far.

Also, when are we getting both the Ignis DLC footage and whatever that multiplayer element is? TGS?

Squire

Banned
Mainline Final Fantasy have scrapped everything from the previous game for about 15 years now, so i think you can rest easy on that issue.

They're all pretty unique and certainly not struggling for identity, but I think that's overstating things a bit and also not accounting for the realities of AAA development as it stands in 2017. Most games don't throw out styles and systems from game to game any more because they can't if they want these things to release in any sort of timely manner. It happens, but rarely and usually in games with a much smaller scope. Ex: Halo 5 is pretty different from Halo 4, but you're ultimately talking about new mechanics for a campaign that's only about eight hours and then mostly familiar MP modes tweaked to work around those new mechanics.

FF is a 40 hour RPG. You already need to make brand new stuff for the story and at a very high quality in terms of the raw assets. That already takes a ton of time.

I don't have to point out SE isn't particularly good at this - doing things in a timely manner, that is.

Ok then I'll stop with my "white knighting" and instead get back on topic since this isn't going anywhere with the same thing. I'm not an exec at Square Enix so I don't know what's next.

My question is does this success mean we have a better chance of getting XV on Steam? I know it's been thrown around a couple of times but we've had no confirmation so far.

Also, when are we getting both the Ignis DLC footage and whatever that multiplayer element is? TGS?

At this point I just take it as a given the game will be ported to PC once they're done with it. I expect XII will be ported too.

Lmao literally everyone always uses Mcdonalds when trying to make that sales /= quality point. I ain't knocking you, it's just funny. Poor mcdonalds

The double-cheese burger and large fries is my usual if I'm there, but it's an analogy that works!

Bladenic

Sales just aren't an indicator of quality. Suggests the work itself is lacking in merit when the defense for it rolls out "well tons of people bought it."

Tons of people eat at McDonalds every week and go to see Transformers films every year, too.

It's a completely vapid defense of anything.

Am I though? I post opinions and argue others, I can be harsh of tongue. But I don't go out of my way to make people feel unwelcome and I certainly don't advise they vacate threads when they present points I disagree with or in a way I don't like.

I don't care if you pull apart my arguments. At least you're within your boundaries then.

Edit: Yeah, you edited. Challenge points or don't, my dude. Dunno what else to tell you.

Lmao literally everyone always uses Mcdonalds when trying to make that sales /= quality point. I ain't knocking you, it's just funny. Poor mcdonalds

Ffxv will absolutely be on pc eventually.

Ignis dlc and multiplayer yea I can see tgs

Zhao_Yun

I don't get why people think that XV's success will inevitably lead to a similar FFXVI. If there is one constant throughout the series it is that every installment is different. Pretty sure XII was a commercial and critical success but XIII was not similar at all (could say the same about X and XII tbh)

I don't get why people think that XV's success will inevitably lead to a similar FFXVI. If there is one constant throughout the series it is that every installment is different. Pretty sure XII was a commercial and critical success but XIII was not similar at all (could say the same about X and XII tbh)

XII was the most critically acclaimed one up to that point. It was the first one to get a 40/40, back when that actually meant something. Didn't stop Square from throwing the formula in the trash.

Especially with vii remake not copying anything from it. Completely different combat, direct control over ai, not open world, etc.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
As long as XIV Vanilla was a thing calling XV even close to the worst is a bold face lie

Well, I mean, vanilla XIV doesn't exist anymore though. It's pointless to even count it. Though even with its awful gameplay and design, the story was still better done than XV at least.

Really, I don't think any of the mainline FFs are bad games. Even XIII was good. It just had a poorly presented story. XV feeling incomplete is its big problem, but they seem to be remedying that. Not ideal, but better than not fixing it.

mortal

Gold Member
I'm happy that Final Fantasy has another opportunity to continue thriving, although I feel Square Enix will learn the wrong lessons from FFXV's reception. I respect the daunting task that is game development, but I don't think people should be rewarded simply for getting a game out the door.

I really don't like that the game it still unfinished as they're patching in narrative elements into the game. I hope the director of XVI has a more concise vision for the game and doesn't end up as dependent on fan feedback.

It worked for FFXIV ARR because it was an MMORPG, a service based title that desperately needed to connect to its dwindling user base. I just hope this isn't Square Enix's standard approach to game design going forward.

I liked the game, yeah the story could have used some work but i genuinley belived they cobbled togeather what they could of the work done by nomura at that point and made the best of it to fit it into the reduced scope of the title. Good game, glad to hear it sold well

Speaking of XIV, I got an email from the Square Enix store saying that they're about to charge my card for the Stormblood CE order. 200 dollars plus shipping and taxes! I don't have that right now! Why so early??? Why can't they be like Amazon in that regard?

Top Bottom