• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

derFeef said:
Feet-springs.

you do know those don't work that way right? you also know, Valve made those specificly to stop the testers from saying "how could she survive that fall?"

looks like Valve was on to something :p

TheOGB

Banned
Jenga said:
that's the fun part about it

Cave Johnson is either an AI or an android

or is he? dundundun
http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Cave_Johnson

In one of the memos revealed during the Portal ARG, Johnson announces that he is dead, and that he is able to write memos from beyond the grave.

In Portal 2, Johnson appears to have been resurrected inside a computer, and guides Chell during her tests through the Aperture Science Speaker System, shortly after she is awakened by Wheatley.[3][4]

EVH

BobTheFork said:
What made you think she was human? Leave the extended universe stuff out (she got a knee replacement lol wtf?), it never said she was either I suppose. I just thought that was the game, 'you are an android that shoots a portal gun' Maybe she just looked like one in Portal, she sure never looked like a person when I first saw her

Uh, I think she really looks like woman in Portal. In fact, the first thing you do is seeing Chell through the first portal so you can understand that are a human and the mechanics of the portals. Btw, you see blood on the walls when getting shot by the turrets.

Anyway, in EP2 they say that BlackMesa competitor: Aperture Science, had problems with the government because they where doing science in an illegal (and fast) way. I thought that they were refering about using human subjects to test their technology. Also, the knee replacement is just some kind of suppport for the big falls and was a mere aesthetic detail (mainly, and with the first maps of the game, everyone was asking why she didn't break her legs, so they added that)

derFeef

From The Dust said:
you do know those don't work that way right? you also know, Valve made those specificly to stop the testers from saying "how could she survive that fall?"

looks like Valve was on to something :p
I don't get your argument at all. And yeah thanks, video-game things do not work in real life.

EVIL

BobTheFork said:
What made you think she was human? Leave the extended universe stuff out (she got a knee replacement lol wtf?), it never said she was either I suppose. I just thought that was the game, 'you are an android that shoots a portal gun' Maybe she just looked like one in Portal, she sure never looked like a person when I first saw her
The way GLaDOS talks about you, commenting at human imperfections, playing at your emotions. Its pretty obvious she is a human test subject. I doubt GLaDOS would set you up in a starting chamber with a bed and a nice alarm clock/radio if you would be a robot.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
There are several references to Chell being an android in Portal, like GladOS reminding you that Android hell is a real place and that you'll be sent there at the first sign of disobedience. Androids are designed to look and feel like humans, or even be partly human so GladOS also referring to Chell's human traits isn't out of the question.

Spire said:
There are several references to Chell being an android in Portal, like GladOS reminding you that Android hell is a real place and that you'll be sent there at the first sign of disobedience. Androids are designed to look and feel like humans, or even be partly human so GladOS also referring to Chell's human traits isn't out of the question.

I thought she was talking about the test chamber (where he mentions that) was intended for robots. I don't remember her specificly talking to Chell on that part. can you provide a full quote?

EVH said:
Uh, I think she really looks like woman in Portal. In fact, the first thing you do is seeing Chell through the first portal so you can understand that are a human and the mechanics of the portals. Btw, you see blood on the walls when getting shot by the turrets.

Anyway, in EP2 they say that BlackMesa competitor: Aperture Science, had problems with the government because they where doing science in an illegal (and fast) way. I thought that they were refering about using human subjects to test their technology. Also, the knee replacement is just some kind of suppport for the big falls and was a mere aesthetic detail (mainly, and with the first maps of the game, everyone was asking why she didn't break her legs, so they added that)
so...She's a T-800, fucking great.
Honestly I had already heard she was an android by that point, it's just the assumption I had been playing the game with. The game made it seem like every human was dead and there was no one 'still alive' so they had to test on a robot.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
From The Dust said:
I thought she was talking about the test chamber (where he mentions that) was intended for robots. I don't remember her specificly talking to Chell on that part. can you provide a full quote?

I pretty much just did. This is the full quote:

"The enrichment center would like to remind you that android hell is a real place where you will be sent at the first sign of defiance."

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
EmCeeGramr said:
Because it was a prerecorded message for the terrified robot test subjects. See: ATLAS and P-Body in Portal 2.

Maybe, maybe not. You can read it either way.

Spire said:
ok then, that's it. I knew I wasn't crazy.
Chell = Android and away I go.

edit: those robot test subjects are new to Portal 2, they weren't around then but they are now.

derFeef

BobTheFork said:
ok then, that's it. I knew I wasn't crazy.
Chell = Android and away I go.

edit: those robot test subjects are new to Portal 2, they weren't around then but they are now.
Just because of that? Give me a brake! If I remember correctly GLaDOS mentions Chell hometown once. Androids have hometowns, then?

edit: isnt there also that blue gate-thing where it reboots all robot-things and the Portal gun? If you take a turret through it, it vanishes. Oh, and the taste of blood.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
derFeef said:
Just because of that? Give me a brake! If I remember correctly GLaDOS mentions Chell hometown once. Androids have hometowns, then?
"You am sure you are the pride and joy of <Insert subjects home town here>"

derFeef said:

edit: isnt there also that blue gate-thing where it reboots all robot-things and the Portal gun? If you take a turret through it, it vanishes. Oh, and the taste of blood.
meh, I already thought she was an android and people were acting like I just made it up. There's evidence so I'll just keep thinking what I thought before I read this thread

What was that hometown btw?

edit: yeah, what he said.

Loam

dave is ok said:
You should really download the save file in the wiki. That one is ridiculous
Wow, read The Ball's page a little while ago and didn't even catch the link. Wanted to do the task myself, but after accidentally running over one too many monkeys for like the fifth time I guess ill just go this route.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
derFeef said:

Human robot hybrids certainly can.

I always assumed, and I never really gave it much thought because it honestly isn't important, that Chell was a human that they've done extensive experiments on and is now part human, part robot. They're purposefully vague and allude to both, so I filed her under "android", or maybe even "cyborg" and got on with it.

derFeef said:

The hometown quote is clearly automated, in fact the punchline of it is that it's automated.

Atlas and P-Body walk through the portal reset fields all the time in the Portal 2 footage we've seen, that means nothing. It's just a way for Valve to make sure the player doesn't have anything weird going on for when they load the next level. And human robot hybrids can have blood.

Zenith

Banned
Spire said:

Except in that context Glados had "accidentally" sent Chell to the robot combat training arena instead of the next test chamber in hopes of killing her.

derFeef

Spire said:
Human robot hybrids certainly can.

I always assumed, and I never really gave it much thought because it honestly isn't important, that Chell was a human that they've done extensive experiments on and is now part human, part robot. They're purposefully vague and allude to both, so I filed her under "android", or maybe even "cyborg" and got on with it.
I am really only fighting myself because I dont want her to be robot. I am fine with everything else being robot and hightech for sure, don't get me wrong, I love that. Chell being human gives her a bit more depth because her past is very shrouded.

Salsa

Is there a save file for RUSH to get the potato ?

Im close, but im heading out till tomorrow and i wanna get all the potatoes done now just in case..

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
SalsaShark said:
Is there a save file for RUSH to get the potato ?

Im close, but im heading out till tomorrow and i wanna get all the potatoes done now just in case..

Just use the hint system, it doesn't take very long. The hints will pretty much tell you what to do for each puzzle.

sonicmj1

Spire said:

But when you first enter the level, Glados says that it was initially intended for androids.

Due to mandatory scheduled maintenance, the appropriate chamber for this testing sequence is currently unavailable. It has been replaced with a live-fire course designed for military androids. The Enrichment Center apologizes for the inconvenience and wishes you the best of luck.

The "android hell" line is (or is supposed to appear to be) an automated line played for all the military androids who participate in the live-fire course. It has nothing to do with Chell's actual identity.

The Portal 2 comic shows her forms and interview regarding signing up.

She's a person, Valve really isn't "ambiguous" at all about this.

Ionic

Well, I just got all the potatoes from the login pages. So, now that I went through all that, do we actually know where to go from here yet?

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
The ESRB rating changes depending on the boxart. I've seen a lot of RP (Rating Pendings), and a T (Teen) and a E (Everyone).

Probably doesn't mean anything. Prrrrrrrobably.

I have my single, solitary potato from Amnesia. I'm excited!

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
EmCeeGramr said:
The Portal 2 comic shows her forms and interview regarding signing up.

She's a person, Valve really isn't "ambiguous" at all about this.

That form was filled out by GladOS (one of the lines reads "SUBJECT REFUSED TO ANSWER"). I don't think Chell signed up, I thought she was basically kidnapped on Bring Your Daughter to Work Day?

And I'm not saying Chell wasn't a human initially, just that's she's been experimented on with android tech.

L00P

Spire said:
That form was filled out by GladOS (one of the lines reads "SUBJECT REFUSED TO ANSWER"). I don't think Chell signed up, I thought she was basically kidnapped on Bring Your Daughter to Work Day?

yeah

And I'm not saying Chell wasn't a human initially, just that's she's been experimented on with android tech.

...you lost me

sonicmj1

Spire said:

I guess there's nothing that disproves this, but it's not supported by anything, unless those leg suspension thingies count as "android tech."

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
L00P said:
...you lost me

Well I'll just quote what I posted earlier.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm right, at the end of the day though I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter at all in the context of Portal 1.

Majukun

chell is definitely human in portal,glados can
kill you with a "deadly neurotoxin"in the final battle..
so you are in fact a "biological being"

MRORANGE

Majukun said:
chell is definitely human in portal,glados can
kill you with a "deadly neurotoxin"in the final battle..
so you are in fact a "biological being"

first post that actually makes sense.

Twig

Banned
Unless Chell was programmed to die when subjected to
deadly neurotoxins
! (Does that really need spoilered.)

dun dun dunnnn

Salsa

tips on getting the Killing Floor one ? that Perk Leveling V4 map doesnt seem to be working ? i collect the money and nothing

L00P

Spire said:
Well I'll just quote what I posted earlier.
Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm right, at the end of the day though I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter at all in the context of Portal 1.

Aperture Science used the test subjects to experiment with portals, not with cybernetic augmentations. They made robots, but they're just robots.

Baha

9 potatoes! I still have my extra copy of portal to trade if anybody has an extra copy of Cogs, Wonderful End of the World, Bit Trip Beat or 1 2 3 Kick it!

Salsa

Only missing Killing Floor (working on it) and Cogs.

Do i really need 100 stars to access the Cogs second secret level ? (the one when i type "please at the title screen) no way around it ? save ? jesus christ D:

Baha

If you need help with the Killing Floor potato/achievement, add me on steam (BahaFS). I have a friend with a server running the perkleveling4 map.

Salsa

Baha said:
If you need help with the Killing Floor potato/achievement, add me on steam (BahaFS). I have a friend with a server running the perkleveling4 map.

Thanks, i'll try it again and let you know if i sitll cant get it.

The Cogs thing isnt really hard after all.

Baha

SalsaShark said:
Thanks, i'll try it again and let you know if i sitll cant get it.

The Cogs thing isnt really hard after all.

The Killing Floor one takes less than 5 minutes to do on perkleveling4 btw,

Top Bottom