• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The End Is Nigh |OT| Super Rich Evans

tesqui

The spring jumping in this game is terrible. Is there some kind of trick to it? It's making this sewer level near impossible to do since I need to bounce off fish and smoke cloud dudes and it's impossible to do reliably. This game is really fun, but this particular mechanic is sucking all the fun out.

The soundtrack is A++ though.

I believe you can just hold down the jump button. You don't have to time it precisely.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
holy shit outta nowhere.

I guess I'll keep chewing through BOI and wait for switch though. as BOI on switch is fucking aces and it eats my days.

d00d3n

I really enjoyed the game until this point, but the last room of Golgatha has to be one of the most annoying levels McMillen has ever produced. The timing based nature of it combined with the precision required in the "mini mazes" leads to a horrible stressful experience. Boo!

20170718203301_1ypzd2.jpg

Stoze

The spring jumping in this game is terrible. Is there some kind of trick to it? It's making this sewer level near impossible to do since I need to bounce off fish and smoke cloud dudes and it's impossible to do reliably. This game is really fun, but this particular mechanic is sucking all the fun out.

The soundtrack is A++ though.
The bounce jumping works exactly how it does in nearly every other platformer with that mechanic, including Mario; hit the top of the object/enemy while holding the jump button for a higher jump. That's it. You don't need to time it, you don't need to release and hold again between jumps, and if you don't want to bounce high you just hit the top without using the jump button.

And yeah the soundtrack is kind of amazing.

Wow, once you get to the fork in the road, the game takes off

The levels are brutal, but it's so much fun. I kept saying "just one more screen" and 2 hours went by.

What's weird is the hell level is quite a bit easier than the level right before it lol. Those acid levels were brutal.

jonjonaug

Finished the game. I don't think I'll do all the extra cart levels + the final world, but I had a lot of fun with it.

I would also say that I found TEIN easier than Meat Boy, at least to clear normally. 100%-ing the game is probably harder, but if you're just trying to clear the game there's never a difficulty cliff of any kind like Meat Boy has around halfway through.

jb1234

All finished, just a little under ten hours at 48%. All that's really left is just a bunch of tumor and cart collecting and I'm not really motivated to do that. Had a great time!

Stoze

Well I finally got 100%. Actually, 100(+42)% to be exact: The mini-achievements for the cartridge games don't actually count towards 100%, but rather a bonus percentage that doesn't appear until after you've gotten 100% (which is getting all tumors in the map and beating all the cartridges). So I went from 99% to 100(+42)% on my save file after beating my last cart, which is weird.

Great game, pretty much nails the core movement and level design. I liked it so much I did the speed run achievement which I rarely ever attempt for games.

tesqui

Beat the main game and collected all carts and in world tumors. Currently logged 25hrs at 95% and now I'm just going through the game carts at my own leisure. Really great game that is definitely in my top 10 of the year.

Hopefully more people play it!

14 hours in (made it to
Nevermore
), and only 5083 deaths (which will probably double if I go for the cartridge achievements). So far this game is slightly harder than Meat Boy Even. Even if you ignore the optional cartridge stages (like
Spike Tales and Tombs and Torture)
, some of the normal ones later on are just infuriating.

Also trying to find the very last Mega Tumor in The Machine, and I'm kind of lost. Any hints on where to find it? I've played through that stage about 4 times.

RPS37

Had no clue this existed. Loved Meat Boy. Will check out tomorrow. Seems like a no-brained on the Switch.

Top Bottom