• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Horizon ZD the only game this gen that delivered on its early trailers promise

Trouble

Banned
Fallout 4

P6lellc.jpg

Garlador

Horizon still makes my jaw drop as I'm playing it. Just... unfreakin' believably gorgeous, AND it runs buttery smooth, AND the combat is fun as hell, AND the story and characters are good.

It's the whole package.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The only game? No way.

For example, Super Mario Maker looks a lot better than when it was first shown.

came in here to see how far we would get till a zelda mention. at least me made it past one post, amirite.

I haven't played Horizon yet but judging by reception and gaf, it surprisingly exceeded its promise.

Trouble

Banned
Horizon still makes my jaw drop as I'm playing it. Just... unfreakin' believably gorgeous, AND it runs buttery smooth, AND the combat is fun as hell, AND the story and characters are good.

It's the whole package.

It really is. I was really pleasantly surprised by how satisfying the story is. I read every little scrap of flavor text I came upon. They did an excellent job of world building and peeling back the layers of the mystery.

Uncharted 4 looks better then pre-release

but then it didn't deliver in the action department

The truck chase was the highlight of the game, and that was shown in its entirely. The open combat arenas was good overall, but they showed off the best one in Dec. 2014.

ElCidTmax

I can't count too many disappointments - although I avoided most Ubisoft titles.

Horizon is amazing though. It's got its hooks in me for sure. I haven't stayed up till 2:00am on a weeknight in a long time - and I had no idea it was that late. I am just blown away by how good it is, and what a leap this game is for Guerrilla in terms of gameplay, story, and the world they built.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The most remarkable thing to me, more so than the visuals, is that the actual gameplay made it through so well. Taking off the various components of the thunderjaw, strapping it down with the rope caster, trees and rocks breaking, many of those things looked like scripted fluff but it's all on the game in a very similar manner.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Uncharted 4 looks better then pre-release

Nah.

The most remarkable thing to me, more so than the visuals, is that the actual gameplay made it through so well. Taking off the various components of the thunderjaw, strapping it down with the rope caster, trees and rocks breaking many of those things looked like scripted fluff but it's all on the game in a very similar manner.

This is remarkable, I remember the discussions on hear whether it was staged or not.

Eh.

I think there's a few high profile examples of visual downgrades that sours the landscape, but overall, most games have delivered on what was advertised in initial reveals. There's also several examples of games that looked more impressive than their initial reveals.

gfxtwin

Arkham Knight looks as amazing as the earliest gameplay footage. Same with Uncharted 4.

Bloodborne. Dark Souls 3. Gravity Rush 2. Nier: Automata. Yakuza 0. Nioh. Resident Evil 7. And the list goes on and on. Plenty of games have.
Especially Japanese games.

Nioh was noticably downgraded. The final game never looks as good as the reveal.

sn00zer

Watching a Youtube vid of the Mass Effect Downgrade made me realise that Horizon is the only game that I can think of that looks as good if not better than its E3 trailers.
Mass Effect Andromeda comparison
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmSmkBu4Xxg
Horison Comparison
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eX1XJnfyAU
Are there any other games that have come close to their reveal trailers please link if so.

Yes.... only Horizon....and every single Sony game released this gen

DRIVECLUB

E3 2013

Release

Weather Update

The Order 1886
Announcement June 2013 Trailer
January 2015 Trailer

Announcement

Final Version
Announcement
FINAL

Announcement

FINAL

Rodin

BotW does not look like that 2014 reveal trailer. It is close but it didn't reach what is shown in that trailer.

Ahh you edited. Still living up to early trailers also pertains to graphics.
That was basically a cutscene and the cutscenes from the game look possibly better than that. So... yes it does?

Also the only thing that looks different in the actual game compared to that early trailer is the grass rendering distance (pretty normal for a cutscene) and the grass self shadowing, but the latter was in WWHD, so they probably had it in place in early builds but they noticed that it was yoo taxing to keep so they had to remove it.

But more importantly, it's really rare that a game delivers on the gameplay promises of early trailers, and Zelda certainly maintains that. It even surpasses considering the amount of physics interactions seen in the final game.

Synth

Not it was not "heavily" downgraded unless you are talking about the framerate.

And why would talking about the framerate not count as heavily downgraded? It's like literally half the graphical output. Any game could do wonders if they were allowed to just slice the fps in half.

I've never taken so many screenshots of a game before.
My Horizon folder is almost 5GB (The 4k shots are 5-12mb per shot)

There is much I love about the visuals. Even after 70+ hours with the game I came across a part of the map where the fog sweeping in at dusk looked especially amazing...
HorizonZeroDawn_20170324081527.png

And then I saw a huge swarm of birds... something I've never seen in any other game before.
HorizonZeroDawn_20170323060556.png

And they flew around like crazy xD It looked so good.

The trailers looked very good, but the final game legit blew my mind

And why would talking about the framerate not count as heavily downgraded? It's like literally half the graphical output. Any game could do wonders if the were allowed to just slice the fps in half.

Because generally when people talk about downgrade they strictly talking the graphics and not performance. I would like to them clarify what they meant by that statement because I seriously doubt it was referring to the framerate.

edit - I forgot we never actually saw gameplay at 60fps so there nothing to downgrade from and therefore completely irrelevant.

Skux

Where did people get the idea that UC4 was downgraded? The in-engine cutscenes they showed look as good as any in the final game. And we never saw 60fps single player footage.

lumzi23

I think Sony does a good job of surpassing themselves (their first and second party developers).

I think this thread should be titled "Is Horizon ZD the only graphical promising game this gen that delivered on its early trailers promise?"

Top Bottom