• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Persona 5 Spoiler Thread | Steal your heart; steel yourself

sjay1994

Man that Igor reveal and the archived audio usage. Well played Atlus... fucking well played.

I know right?

I don't think they used archived audio with the english track, but the twist still got me. Like, I just assumed the "new" Igor voice was done because the original Japanese VA passed away, not that it would actually turn out to be an imposter.

Although, compared to Nyx and Izanami, Jalbadoth's final boss form looks like a jank ass megazord.

Still those final moments were the hypest in a persona game. Sateanal descending from the storms and reading the description of the sinful shell.

Fucking awesome finale

sjay1994

Meh thats just using the past as an excuse. Not to say Ryuji is a bad character. He is simply annoying to keep as a friend in a group meant to be secretive like the Phantom Thieves.

Its perfectly fine to bash him for his big mouth and acting before thinking moments. He makes up for it in his own way throughout the story and he is the comic relief of the group. Him and Mona fighting is like Dog vs Cat basically.

People aren't wrong for disliking Ryuji's personality/character. Its not like you have to like all the PT members.

HEY GUYS! ISN'T IT GREAT TO BE PHANTOM THIEVES!

But honestly though, Ryuji grew on me. He's an idiot, but he's my idiot.

Shouta

That's my impression too, but there are some lines in Futaba's boss battle that make me wonder if she's actually met her dad and if he was one of the people berating her after her mother died. (But it's also possible that guy was actually just reciting the fake suicide note, and thus speaking Wakaba's words as opposed to his own.)

Wakaba raised Futaba by herself, so Futaba doesn't know her biological father, He was out of the picture before she was born. Sojiro says that he didn't who it was as Wakaba didn't say anything and that Wakaba gave birth to and raised Futaba by herself. The thing in her dungeon was a fake suicide note as I recall and someone was reading it out loud.

LiK

I feel like the MC's parents were kept out so you would feel more like you're the MC. I honestly don't give a shit about the MC's parents at all. Didn't care in P4G and don't care in P5.

robotrock

Banned
I feel like the MC's parents were kept out so you would feel more like you're the MC. I honestly don't give a shit about the MC's parents at all. Didn't care in P4G and don't care in P5.

Yeah I totally never feel like it's a problem, and generally just accept the part where he needs to go back home at the end.

Eylos

Banned
But its a Little weird, afaik Tokyo is a good place to study to prepare for the admissional tests for college, my guess is that young people migrates there, i'm wrong?

RalchAC

But its a Little weird, afaik Tokyo is a good place to study to prepare for the admissional tests for college, my guess is that young people migrates there, i'm wrong?

The whole thing was half serious half joking. But honestly, after Cyber Sleuth it surprised me a bit you didn't get, even if just a few text messages.

Greetings, i'm here to preach the good word about Goro Akechi.

No pancakes for you, sorry. Get lost!

sjay1994

The moment you realize the only way they beat Jalbadoth was people using Mishima's Phan-site summoning Sataneal, making Mishima the real hero of this story.

Wakaba raised Futaba by herself, so Futaba doesn't know her biological father, He was out of the picture before she was born. Sojiro says that he didn't who it was as Wakaba didn't say anything and that Wakaba gave birth to and raised Futaba by herself. The thing in her dungeon was a fake suicide note as I recall and someone was reading it out loud.

I know about Futaba being raised by Wakaba alone, the only reason I thought maybe the dad was back in the picture was because during the scene with Futaba at the top of the pyramid during the boss battle, there's a man in her hallucinations that talks about being disappointed in her and how he should have never had her. It wasn't clear from the context if he was just reading the suicide note out to Futaba or if that was supposed to be a sign that her father was back in the picture temporarily during the time of Wakaba's death. But probably that latter explanation is way more convoluted and complex than "no that's a random dude and he was just reading the suicide note."

Actually, the more I think about it the more I kind of feel like I shouldn't even have brought it up because it seems so convoluted compared to the other possibility that even speculating on "random adult hallucination is Futaba's dad" feels too much like I'm advocating for that as the canon explanation. So never mind!

kewlmyc

Yup, Mishima is actually the most important member of the group. No Phan-site meant no requests.

Yet he's easily treated the worst out of all of them.

To be fair, he's a huge dweeb that brings weapons into diners and place them on the table.

Eylos

Banned
The whole thing was half serious half joking. But honestly, after Cyber Sleuth it surprised me a bit you didn't get, even if just a few text messages.

No pancakes for you, sorry. Get lost!

What i wanted to say is
Persona 4:
Big town Guy moves to smaller town, makes sense to return to bigger town to study for college

Persona 5
Small town guy (at least smaller than Tokyo) moves to big city, then he returns?

Well its a Little weird for me, since i come from a small town and all teenagers goes to a big city to study for college.

LiK

Yet he's easily treated the worst out of all of them.

To be fair, he's a huge dweeb that brings weapons into diners and place them on the table.

Yea, I think that's just how he is. His whole SLink was about being more than a nobody.

Femto.

What i wanted to say is
Persona 4:
Big town Guy moves to smaller town, makes sense to return to bigger town to study for college

Persona 5
Small town guy (at least smaller than Tokyo) moves to big city, then he returns?

Well its a Little weird for me, since i come from a small town and all teenagers goes to a big city to study for college.
Remember that the MC was only a second year.

Yea, I think that's just how he is. His whole SLink was about being more than a nobody.
As one of two characters that were fucked up enough to have a treasure but manage to change their heart on their own, I have to give him some credit. He was a really big douche, but he realized it.

daveo42

Banned
Watching the alternative endings, you totally see how much Akechi loves to talk down to Joker with that smirk on his face because he "wins" against you. What I would love to see tho is the alternate ending expounded upon where you agree to Yaldabaoth's offer. Endless Palace exploration!

PK Gaming

Serious post time:

I have a huge problem with how Morgana's character was resolved. The build up to his origin was the most important aspect of his character. They couldn't have just blatantly copied Teddie, so the question of how he was born became more and more intriguing as you progressed. But the payoff was... not very good. It was completely lacking in impact. Morgana being a creation of Igor is too convenient, and it goes against the entire conceit of his character (the insecurity he feels about the nature of his existence).

It would have been so much better if Morgana was a creation of Fake Igor. Someone who was created with the express purpose of leading the Phantom Thieves down the path of ruin. That would have segued into the game's overall theme better, with Morgana defying his evil creator and instead, resolving to press forward on his own. Instead, everything's pretty fine on Morgana's end once he finds out the truth. It's just... so limp.

I still love Morgana, but there's pretty much no way I could reconcile him being a better character than Teddie overall.

Femto.

I cucked Morgana.

OG2hHwW.jpg

daveo42

Banned
I actually thought we'd have to fight Morgana because of the dreams he had over the course of the game. That was what I thought this was leading up to and kind of falls in line with Fake Igor being the one behind his creation. I'd say the only knock against that was his overwhelming desire for treasure, siding with actual rehabilitation over ruin for those with twisted hearts. Akechi only cared about twisting the shadow or flat out killing it without stealing the treasure and destroying the person's palace.

I ended up disliking morgana for most of the game. However him going stray for 2 months just to build up the most dramatic re-entrance possible gives him major points.

Its like he was mocking the P3 ending I hate so much

I have a screenshot of Haru saying "Give us our tears back!", I'll have to upload it when I get home.

sjay1994

Serious post time:

I have a huge problem with how Morgana's character was resolved. The build up to his origin was the most important aspect of his character. They couldn't have just blatantly copied Teddie, so the question of how he was born became more and more intriguing as you progressed. But the payoff was... not very good. It was completely lacking in impact. Morgana being a creation of Igor is too convenient, and it goes against the entire conceit of his character (the insecurity he feels about the nature of his existence).

It would have been much better if Morgana was a creation of Fake Igor. Someone who was created with the express purpose of leading the Phantom Thieves down the path of ruin. That would have segued into the game's overall theme better, with Morgana defying his evil creator and instead, resolving to press forward on his own. Instead, everything's pretty fine on Morgana's end once he finds out the truth. It's just... so limp.

I still love Morgana, but there's pretty much no way I could reconcile him being a better character than Teddie overall.

I was actually hoping Morgana was a girl when he became human again. But nope.

Yeah I hear that. I was expecting Morgana's true form being something more sinister considering his dreams, but they went for him being a messenger from the real Igor. Even when he faded away, while I was happy they brought him back it did feel like a cop out.

Still character wise, I think I like Morgana better than Teddie. I think Teddie's back story is better, but I just think Morgana is a better character.

Also, I feel like Atlus will never P3 us where people just die.

RalchAC

I ended up disliking morgana for most of the game. However him going stray for 2 months just to build up the most dramatic re-entrance possible gives him major points.

Its like he was mocking the P3 ending I hate so much

I have a screenshot of Haru saying "Give us our tears back!", I'll have to upload it when I get home.

See? Haru is awesome lol.

sjay1994

Also in terms of characters in the main team, I feel like this is the first one where I liked everyone in the main cast (well Haru felt kinda weak, since I didn't have enough proficiency till much later to rank up her confident making her the only one in the main team I didn't max)

Where as I disliked Yukari and Rise from the previous games. I guess he doesn't count, but boy do I dislike Mishima. But still, as I realized it turns out Mishima really was the true hero at the end of the day.

LiK

Haru was robbed of some significant bonding with the group before her dad's palace. She pops up like 2-3 times randomly and then she has her adventures with Morgana. I didn't have a chance to go deep into her SLink cuz I kinda fucked up working on that during my first run. She's a sweet character but I didn't feel like she was as tight with the group as the others.

Guess Who

Banned
Morgana is great precisely because, kind of like Akechi deliberately plays off your memories of Naoto in P4, Morgana plays off your memories of Teddie. First they suggest he's really human, so you're expecting him to get some big Human Form reveal like Teddie. Then, they suggest he's a Shadow, so you're expecting him to get the same Shadow reveal Teddie did. Then it turns out he's actually neither!

Eylos

Banned
Also in terms of characters in the main team, I feel like this is the first one where I liked everyone in the main cast (well Haru felt kinda weak, since I didn't have enough proficiency till much later to rank up her confident making her the only one in the main team I didn't max)

Where as I disliked Yukari and Rise from the previous games. I guess he doesn't count, but boy do I dislike Mishima. But still, as I realized it turns out Mishima really was the true hero at the end of the day.

Rise is awesome

LiK

We are already drowning in Waifu's. We don't need another one!

...but I was actually expecting it too.

Guess I had a thought where she had this crush on Ann and finds out she's a girl and is a lesbian instead of being a boy. But nah, just some cat.

PK Gaming

Haru was robbed of some significant bonding with the group before her dad's palace. She pops up like 2-3 times randomly and then she has her adventures with Morgana. I didn't have a chance to go deep into her SLink cuz I kinda fucked up working on that during my first run. She's a sweet character but I didn't feel like she was as tight with the group as the others.

Hopefully Persona 5: The Crimson manages to incorporate her into the earlygame narrative more (beyond getting into a car and looking sad).

Haru doesnt get those good individual scenes with the rest of the group. That was disappointing. I really liked those scenes, like when Makoto and Ann are apologizing to eachother.

However I do think she adds a strong foundation to the larger group scenes after she joins. Everyone has a sense of just feeling bad for her and worrying about their situation being their fault, but Haru is like, nah, lets fix this shit. I'm not going to dwell on my dad until we solve this problem, and I know his death wasnt caused by us.

I was so damn sure we were going to get an anime ass drawn out "haru blames the thieves for her dad's death when its obvious it wasnt their fault." Which would drag on a week or two until they can find proof of another culprit. Her defying those expectations was so great.

FluxWaveZ

It would have been much better if Morgana was a creation of Fake Igor. Someone who was created with the express purpose of leading the Phantom Thieves down the path of ruin. That would have segued into the game's overall theme better, with Morgana defying his evil creator and instead, resolving to press forward on his own. Instead, everything's pretty fine on Morgana's end once he finds out the truth. It's just... so limp..

That would have been great. With every member of the Phantom Thieves having their own spirit of rebellion, this would have been Morgana's. It would have made thematic sense with "Morgan le Fay" and how there was even a school lecture about her and how she lead men to ruin (another of Morgana's red herrings), and narrative sense when everyone thinks they're about to die and they look at Morgana concerning where they failed. It would have been real impactful if Morgana recovered his memories and realized he was meant to get them all killed.

Real neat idea; I'm bummed that it didn't happen now.

Aki-at

I was actually hoping Morgana was a girl when he became human again. But nope.

Heh guess I wasn't the only one thinking this was going to happen since everyone was unsure what gender he was except him.

Also, I feel like Atlus will never P3 us where people just die.

Yeah I actually wished more major characters died, this is a major complaint with the story for me. I mean Akechi died but I didn't feel anything for him.

PK Gaming

Haru doesnt get those good individual scenes with the rest of the group. That was disappointing. I really liked those scenes, like when Makoto and Ann are apologizing to eachother.

However I do think she adds a strong foundation to the larger group scenes after she joins. Everyone has a sense of just feeling bad for her and worrying about their situation being their fault, but Haru is like, nah, lets fix this shit. I'm not going to dwell on my dad until we solve this problem, and I know his death wasnt caused by us.

I was so damn sure we were going to get an anime ass drawn out "haru blames the thieves for her dad's death when its obvious it wasnt their fault." Which would drag on a week or two until they can find proof of another culprit. Her defying those expectations was so great.

I remember this one moment where she makes this text along the lines of "I don't suspect you guys (for killing my dad), but sometimes I..." and it felt very natural to me. The Phantom Thieves were open with each other in the best way.

Toki767

Felt bad for Ryuji at the end.

Dude saves the group and they thought he died but he was knocked out for a few minutes and rejoined them and they beat him up for it.

Morgana does the same thing but waits 2 months for no reason other than to make people think he was gone for good and he gets off free from the group.

Fuck Morgana.

Top Bottom