• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Only Xbox One X will download the 4K assets.

Gamezone

Gold Member
I don't know if this was confirmed by anyone else, but:

Using the estimated 100GB download of the 4K-compatible Forza Motorsport 7 as a guide, Stevivor asked Microsoft how an Xbox One, Xbox One S and Xbox One X would each handle the download.

“With the launch of Xbox One X, when it comes to game content our intention is to download the correct assets to the correct console,” a Microsoft representative told Stevivor, steering away from Forza 7 specifically.

Assets are tied to your console and not the TV it’s connected to, Microsoft stressed.

http://stevivor.com/news/only-xbox-one-x-will-download-4k-assets-for-available-games/

Shancake

This doesn't really help the situation though? If you've got an Xbox One X and a non 4K TV then you're still going to be downloading 4K assets?

This doesn't really help the situation though? If you've got an Xbox One X and a non 4K TV then you're still going to be downloading 4K assets?

Sounds like it. Didn't MS already say it would do downsampling on a system-level, so if you do have a 1080p TV, you're still seeing the benefit of the nicer textures?

I know this sounds dumb - but I'm going to go ahead and say if you don't want 4K content, you probably don't need an Xbox One X.

Good - means those who decide to go with the XOX can download the assets to take advantage of it, those on X1 or X1S don't have to download or install something they can't use while taking up massive amount of space and download quota.

So… If I am XboxOne S owner,I don't need to download whole 100GB content?

100GB requirement will be only for XboxOne X or Win10 ?

Outrun

I am already anticipating the faux outrage over this...

For supersampling purposes, this a good thing.

mrk8885

Banned

A) you'll need those assets for downsampling

B) if you're not interested in 4K or a superior downsampled image....why are you getting an X?

Gamezone

Gold Member
It's not out of the question for Xbox games, wasn't there huge day one patches for Halo 5 and Gears 4? Hopefully they know how to compress data so it's not a full 50GB download.

They should add a second this, exclusively for physical disc owners with an Xbox One X.

Trup1aya

You would want the assets even if you don't have a 4k TV

If you don't want the box to be using its capabilities, why would you buy it?

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Makes sense.

Why would they download to the One, One S? Its like games that got a Pro patch, update. Why would it download to a non PS4 Pro?

A) you'll need those assets for downsampling

B) if you're not interested in 4K or a superior downsampled image....why are you getting an X?

There's a console for those that dont want 4K assets...

Wait, if you don't have the 4k assets on X1 then how would you downsample from 4k?

The way he is saying it, it doesn't sound like its an option to consumers, just either you download 4k textures if you are on X1X or not on X1.

ShowDog

Nice! This is the kind of thing I would expect Miscrosoft to get right. It's been great since Apple implemented it into iOS a few years ago.

Trup1aya

Not the case with XBO, you'll have to download the game online anyway even if you got the disc

*unless you disconnected the console first ... stupid, I know*

People still believe this?

You don't download the game if you have the disc. If you are online, The system tries to download the day 1 patch while installing the disc.

If you install while offline, the system doesn't download the patch... because you are offline.

Depends how it's implemented by developers, whether they would use compression techniques and such.

Keep in mind Fallout 4 has an optional Hi-Res texture pack that requires an additional 55GB of storage space (I believe the download is smaller than that, but it's sizable).
http://kotaku.com/fallout-4s-55-gb-hi-res-texture-pack-doesnt-make-a-huge-1792081243

Oh man I forgot about this. Fallout 4 Hi res assets for 50GB and yet the difference is negligible that it ended with more complaints than compliments and never heard of again.

LOL. I rarely download things over 2GB, and they expect me to download a 100GB game? I could probably walk to my nearest store, walk back, play the game, beat it, take a nap, and my download still wouldn't be done at 100GB.

Trup1aya

So if I download to an external and then bring the game over to a friends house with the One X, it won't have it then?

Good question.

It seems to me that MS should let 1X owners download the assets to any game they want, even if they don't own it or haven't installed the disc.

This would let people speed up the install process.

If your friend knew you were bringing Forza 7 over to try on his 1X, he could download the 4k assets ahead of time, then it would just be a matter of you installing you disc.

Top Bottom