• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Only Xbox One X will download the 4K assets.

Klocker

Just got my letter yesterday from Cox Communications that they are now enforcing our data caps... lol... bastards.

1 TB not too bad but I risk running over occasionally

Outrun

Just got my letter yesterday from Cox Communications that they are now enforcing our data caps... lol... bastards.

1 TB not too bad but I risk running over occasionally

Well your ISP is certainly living up to their name..

Trup1aya

Yeah, that makes total sense for anyone outside ... oh wait, no it doesn't. The Data Caps in America could really hurt adoption of this, especially for people with multiple Netflix, PC, and console users. 100gb for assets for one game is 10% of the average data cap here. Sorry you want it to be so black and white, but it's not and you just sound like a dick. This is the same as "You don't want to connect your console to the internet? Buy an Xbox 360". It's pointless, it doesn't add to the discussion at all. What are you trying to prove here? That you don't understand the problem? Because that's kind of obvious.

I don't think he's trying to be a dick.

If you deal with data caps, then HQ assets aren't in the cards for you. It's a niche market- one that has specific hardware and services requirements to be a part of

The economics for delivering this HQ content on a second disc aren't sound(because there is little demand for these assets) and they can't fit on a single disc.

For people in this boat, the best we can hope for are better laws, and failing that, an option to play with all of the other X1 benefits, but w/o HQ assets.

m23

I just don't understand the last 2 pages of discussion, really.

My opinion:

If somebody don't like that Xbox One X enhanced games will come with an extra (huge) download of high quality assets (we should stop to call them 4K assets) to make the game look much better in 4K or 1080p by downsampling than just don't consider to buy the console in the first place.

It is as simple as this.

I agree.

RomeoDog

Banned
The fact that Halo on xbox is already 100gb tells me that there probably will be a 200gb games not so far down the line.

Colbert

Banned
Yeah, that makes total sense for anyone outside ... oh wait, no it doesn't. The Data Caps in America could really hurt adoption of this, especially for people with multiple Netflix, PC, and console users. 100gb for assets for one game is 10% of the average data cap here. Sorry you want it to be so black and white, but it's not and you just sound like a dick. This is the same as "You don't want to connect your console to the internet? Buy an Xbox 360". It's pointless, it doesn't add to the discussion at all. What are you trying to prove here? That you don't understand the problem? Because that's kind of obvious.

That is the reason why I said depending on the situation you are why even consider to buy a Xbox One X if there are such limitations? If I wouldn't have a good internet I would still buy disks instead of being 100% digital this generation and I wouldn't consider to buy a Xbox One X because of that. To use an analogy here, I would never buy a sports car in the US as you can't drive them to their fullest speed on the streets because of the general speed limit. But I have one because I live in Germany where I can drive it to its speed limit on the "Autobahn".

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Do we even know that this download of HQ assets is not optional on the X?
It sounds like it can be optional depending on the publisher:

“As part our developer readiness for Xbox One X, we have made available a feature which will give them significant flexibility when it comes to what gets installed on a user’s console,” the Microsoft representative continued. “In addition to 4K specific assets, developers have options when it comes to language specific assets as well, which depending on the title, can drastically reduce the install footprint. This ability to intelligently install the best assets for each console and language are available on all Xbox One devices, and it will be up to the developer of the game to determine the specific implementation.”

People seem to be freaking out and nothing has even happened yet.

sn0man

People have the right to do what they want. But boycotting a game because the developer provided an option to make it better doesn't send the message you suggest.

The game is optionally big. The Boycott would tell them they were better off not providing the option.

The boycott would, for me personally, be more of a MS aren't offering me a disc version of this content and I want to pay MS money for a disc. I have, arguably foolishly, sat out this generation because I've been waiting to see if goty editions and complete versions will come to patch the games that are increasingly shipped half complete. The 4K assets are just the next level of this.

BTW: thank you for your reasoned discussion with Matt over the last pages.

You might not. And that's a reasonable decision too.

But like I said, modern games aren't their size by magic. They could usually be smaller without losing content. But there is currently no real reason for publishers to worry about that.

For me personally, it doesn't really matter at all. I won't base my buying decisions on file sizes. My internet is great and uncapped. But that's my situation.

Thank you for your responses and empathy. It's not like I know my efforts are largely futile but I appreciate that you see it's my perogatice to assert them.

sn0man

We know how large HQ asset packs are on PC. AAA games would inevitably be larger than 50Gigs.

When voting with the wallet, one has to be careful with the message actually being sent.

So i the consumer, who enjoys playing Forza, am suddenly going to skip out on Forza altogether because in an attempt to improve Forza visuals for a niche audience, the publisher will require that niche audience to download the improved assets. Literally punishing a good deed.

The message would be not that a second disc should be included, but that enabling for 4K for some user has devalued the offering altogether, which I'm sure isn't a sentiment that gamers actually feel.

Beyond that, you'd be hard pressed to find a tech company that hasn't spent tons lobbying for better net laws. No sense in punishing them content providers, when ISPs are the actual problem.

Based on how Phil Spencer portrays his thinking. A Forza fan like myself not buying the box will hopefully tell him he needs to be receptive to something isn't being provided to a potential customer. Maybe he'll follow that receptiveness to open a dialog about how physical media might be the end desire, not removal of 4K content.

sn0man

But what about future patches? Take a look at Final Fantasy 15. This game came on a disc but I already downloaded several gb because of many patches that added content to the game. When should they release the patch disc? In a year when most of the sales have already happened and where the audience which would like to buy the patch disc is so small you can send the patch disc to these five people personally?

I wasn't very clear before. Let me say I'd be fine with the sale being up front. Example: I purchase from MS a Forza 7 final cut sku on launch day. It has the normal box and is otherwise the same as the normal Forza 7 box and disc. I pay, however, $80 instead of $60. Throughout the patch cycle I deal with patches and the internet if I want to play multiplayer with friends (and I do.) In exchange for my extra money, I will get a final version disc in the mail that has all the patches when Turn10 moves onto Forza 8 in two-ish years.

There is no reasonable business model for this. I'm sorry, I know it sucks.

Thanks! I realize what I like about consoles is dying in many respects. I can just continue to PC game and when the eventual PS5 remaster of a game comes out it'll likely be complete then.

Those discs has to be free or there will be a huge PR backlash.
To win over customers they simply need to have a second disc in the box, labeled "Xbox One X Content".

Anyhow, considering where we've been heading the last 5-10 years or so when it comes to the use of patches and internet for gaming in general I can't see how this movement has gone under the radar for the concerned for so long. 50GB might be a record but games gets patches left and right, online gaming is super popular, there are huge day 1 patches, big updates that fix broken games, performance fixes, stability updates, games only have digital releases, indie games, Steam popularity etc etc.

If you have crappy internet connection you're already living the hell the concerned people talk about and have been doing so for years. This is all old news for the affected. It's getting worse every year.

You could give me a "special" final version case sleeve or a limited print run of developer signed poster (or not) if you're concerned about PR issues.

It's never been under the radar for those that care. It's just an opportunity to discuss in this thread. (Note: it's great that MS is making the downloads more intelligent for those that prefer downloading. I hope people see the issue I'm voicing has nothing to do with the great download options, just the thread has naturally turned to it.)

The telecom unchecked natural monopolies in the USA are indeed an issue for everyone stateside.

Trup1aya

The boycott would, for me personally, be more of a MS aren't offering me a disc version of this content and I want to pay MS money for a disc. I have, arguably foolishly, sat out this generation because I've been waiting to see if goty editions and complete versions will come to patch the games that are increasingly shipped half complete. The 4K assets are just the next level of this.

BTW: thank you for your reasoned discussion with Matt over the last pages.

Thank you for your responses and empathy. It's not like I know my efforts are largely futile but I appreciate that you see it's my perogatice to assert them.

Fair enough. But if they never offered a 4K version at all, would you then view the purchase as worthwhile?

That's what's weird to me and while I feel a boycott would send a mixed message. If 1080p was the only option it's worth $60. But Now that there exists a way to install better textures, but it requires a DL, suddenly the game loses its value.

Based on how Phil Spencer portrays his thinking. A Forza fan like myself not buying the box will hopefully tell him he needs to be receptive to something isn't being provided to a potential customer. Maybe he'll follow that receptiveness to open a dialog about how physical media might be the end desire, not removal of 4K content.

Not buying the box because you don't like how content is distributed on it makes more sense to me than not buying the game.

If I had a data cap issue, then the xb1x wouldn't be for me. If MS wanted me to by an xb1x they'd have to find a way to distribute xb1x content in a way that fits my situation.

Fredrik

That is the reason why I said depending on the situation you are why even consider to buy a Xbox One X if there are such limitations? If I wouldn't have a good internet I would still buy disks instead of being 100% digital this generation and I wouldn't consider to buy a Xbox One X because of that. To use an analogy here, I would never buy a sports car in the US as you can't drive them to their fullest speed on the streets because of the general speed limit. But I have one because I live in Germany where I can drive it to its speed limit on the "Autobahn".
Lol that is a bad anology, lots and lots of people buy sport cars only to drive slowly around the city to show off or to break the law by driving faster than the speed limit or to race between the traffic lights. Same thing with bikes. Autobahn is a luxury not many have or need but sports cars are still sold all over the world.

What if they added visuals settings? (which I've been asking for since forever)
Then there could be a point to strip away lots of visually demanding stuff if you'd want to try hit 60fps instead of having pretty graphics. When you flick the 4K assets option on there could be a warning "This will download 50GB of extra data. Are you sure you want to continue? Press A for YES or B for NO."

Colbert

Banned
Lol that is a bad anology, lots and lots of people buy sport cars only to drive slowly around the city to show off or to break the law by driving faster than the speed limit or to race between the traffic lights. Same thing with bikes. Autobahn is a luxury not many have or need but sports cars are still sold all over the world.

What if they added visuals settings? (which I've been asking for since forever)
Then there could be a point to strip away lots of visually demanding stuff if you'd want to try hit 60fps instead of having pretty graphics. When you flick the 4K assets option on there could be a warning "This will download 50GB of extra data. Are you sure you want to continue? Press A for YES or B for NO."

You seem not to like the analogy? LOL? Of course people buy those cars, thats not the point, the point is from a logical sensical (efficiency) pov such a car doesn't make sense because any car that can drive within the speed limit and same comfort would do it (for a lower price, less gas consumption, less maintaining cost).
So why buy this console if you don't want/can't really make use of the capabilities?

I know its a black and white pov I take here but I do this in the interest of the argument. Because my position is: Don't blame the manufacturer for the speed limits or data caps of your ISP as you can't blame the manufacturer of the sports car that you can't drive the thing to its higher speeds available to you.

An option you describe would of course be a plus for people with data caps but I don't see it as a promise they already made. They were always clear in their messaging on this part imo.

Top Bottom