• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Only Xbox One X will download the 4K assets.

Sony

Nintendo
I hate patches that are tens of GB's on PS4/Xbone One, but come come, outrage over 4K Asset Update sizes? There is no other economic solution. Leave your console in standby mode for a night and your updates are set. The bigger outrage should be that there are still ISP's that have data capped packages... Dude I had Internet in 2002 that was uncapped. Pretty slow, but uncapped...

High quality assets themselves arent a negative at all. Its a negative if they make it mandatory for xbox one x owners. Make high quality asset packs optional and mandatory for devs to make them optional.
Problem solved.
Why is it a problem to make high quality asset packs for a console whose sole purpose and price tag is focussed on the high quality experience? Genuinely asking, i just can't follow your outrage here.

So if I buy Forza 7 on disc for the XB1X, I still need to download 50GB from the internet to compete the game download?

Hard pass on that, no thanks.

“In addition to 4K specific assets, developers have options when it comes to language specific assets as well, which depending on the title, can drastically reduce the install footprint. This ability to intelligently install the best assets for each console and language are available on all Xbox One devices, and it will be up to the developer of the game to determine the specific implementation.”

Nice

Shin

Banned
How will this affect discs?

It won't, they are going with this method to avoid changing to BDXL (100Gb).
Otherwise you'd have multiple discs or a single one in the case of BDXL, in other words BD has hit it's limits and this is how they off-set it.
BDXL discs are also a lot more expensive than BD.

Fredrik

I'm just saying it's obnoxious to be pushed 50gb+ patches for lots of retail releases, most of which are MS published. I don't own a PS4 so the only frame of reference is PC and Nintendo platforms, where I don't often (or ever) have these issues.
What do you mean that you don't have these issues on PC? Aren't games basically shipping a Steam key on the disc now? I'm digital only on PC but I remember my wife talking about Skyrim at the release where I believe the whole game got downloaded when inserting the disc. Edit: Or maybe it just auto-downloaded some DLC? It was a whole lot of downloading anyway.

High quality assets themselves arent a negative at all. Its a negative if they make it mandatory for xbox one x owners. Make high quality asset packs optional and mandatory for devs to make them optional.
Problem solved.

Why is it a problem to make high quality asset packs for a console whose sole purpose and price tag is focussed on the high quality experience? Genuinely asking, i just can't follow your outrage here.

Read my post again and then read your question again.
And some people may want an xbox one x for better performance at 1080p ps4/xbox one quality assets, but not care about 4k.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Shit show, to be honest. But, expected. Should we expect to download 50GB+ of assets if we go physical? What a weird generation that would be.

They should really adapt 100GB Blu-ray discs especially since Xbox One S and Xbox One X both have 4K Blu-ray player. Alas, OG Xbox One will hold them back.

And how should the launch consoles be able to read these discs?

Matt

Dude, you can pretty much buy any TV series on Bluray with 7-10 discs in one box for far less than a game. It can`t be THAT expensive.
It's not THAT expensive.

But it's a good bit more than the bandwidth for a user to download the assets. So, why would a publisher pay more when they can pay less?

Gamezone

Gold Member
It's not THAT expensive.

But it's a good bit more than the bandwidth for a user to download the assets. So, why would a publisher pay more when they can pay less?

If people don`t buy their games because they don`t want to download 50GB+, then they lose.

im_dany

Can't they just put the download on the Xbox Store before a game releases? They did that with Quantum Break and its TV episodes, you could either be online and stream the correct one or download all of them before D1 and have them offline. Just make them X1X only on the Store so other consoles can't download them and it's fine. I can't imagine people that are going to spend 500$ on a new console and already spent more for a 4K TV can be bothered if they have a few GBs downloading before a game releases.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Read my post again and then read your question again.
And some people may want an xbox one x for better performance at 1080p ps4/xbox one quality assets, but not care about 4k.

Yeah?

You don't need 4K to make use of "4K Assetsl.

Video games are interactive, they aren't CGI movies. High res textures are still a benefit because when you move closer to them, they hold up better.

This whole 4K asset thing is really confusing people it seems.

If you don't care about 4K that's fine, but if you buy a 1X, you getting the high res assets with better IQ and Performenceis the purpose of the damn machine.

This outrage is silly.

It's nice (and obvious) that xbone won't download the higher quality assets, but I do wish there was a way to get both content packs. That would allow me to preload those assets and when xbonex arrives just a disc swap and its all good to go.
Yeah?

You don't need 4K to make use of "4K Assetsl.

Video games are interactive, they aren't CGI movies. High res textures are still a benefit because when you move closer to them, they hold up better.

This whole 4K asset thing is really confusing people it seems.

If you don't care about 4K that's fine, but if you buy a 1X, you getting the high res assets with better IQ and Performenceis the purpose of the damn machine.

This outrage is silly.
This.

Plus, it's not necessarily just textures. Xbonex gpu is better at pushing polygons and the extra memory helps too, so even higher quality models can be patched.

This doesn't really help the situation though? If you've got an Xbox One X and a non 4K TV then you're still going to be downloading 4K assets?
Why would you not want better graphics? You don't need a higher resolution to see better textures and more geometry.

c0de

How big is the standard hard drive in the X coz I imagine you'll need an external drive pretty quickly!

1 TB so twice the size of the current consoles. Makes sense to have games double the size then so that people who are used to buy additional drives have the same experience.

It is only modern that large files and 'assets' are being shoved through our internet wires. And the sizes are growing it seems. It wasn't that long ago Xbox 360 Arcade games had the max size of 50 MB.

I feel bad for the people (Americans?) with data caps and slow download speeds.

spannicus

It is only modern that large files and 'assets' are being shoved through our internet wires. And the sizes are growing it seems. It wasn't that long ago Xbox 360 Arcade games had the max size of 50 MB.

I feel bad for the people (Americans?) with data caps and slow download speeds.
Shiiit. If you can afford an X1 you should be able to afford decent internet. If you're out in the sticks, your screwed hahaha.

leeh

This is great that its not mandatory and it's done this way.

Although, I feel sorry for the people who're stuck in areas where ISP's are holding them hostage to low data caps.

There is literally no reason to do so other than them squeezing as much as profit as they can out of you.

RomeoDog

Banned
The X1's 3GB of ram for devs over the Pro is what is going to make the X1 games look more like PC games than the Pro.

4k Assets via download is cool. But I already hate downloading large patches.

Shin-Ra

"4k assets"
Textures mastered in 4K, higher res textures. I don't get the quotations?
Crackdown 3's one of these games with supposedly 'high density textures' but they look much worse than games like inFamous Second Son for base hardware, released years ago.

Crackdown-3_Screenshot_Alley-Fight.jpg

Crackdown-3_Screenshot_Agent-Marshall.jpg

https://gifyu.com/images/Crackdown-3_Screenshot_Dreadnoughts.png
https://gifyu.com/images/Crackdown-3_Screenshot_New-Providence.png
https://gifyu.com/images/Crackdown-3_Screenshot_Orb.png
https://gifyu.com/images/Crackdown-3_Screenshot_Cars-On-Fire.png
https://gifyu.com/images/Crackdown-3_Screenshot_Agents.png
https://gifyu.com/images/Crackdown-3_Screenshot_Agent-Roll.png
https://gifyu.com/images/Crackdown-3_Screenshot_Agent-Dash.png
https://gifyu.com/images/Crackdown-3_Screenshot_Action-Hero-Shot.jpg

panda-zebra

If more people end up buying digitally and pre-ordering to pre-load, I don't think that would be seen as a negative in Microsoft's eyes, they get more cash from a digital sale vs physical, right?

Suppose there's not going to be some system-level bypass of the xb1x-spec game version for those who would prefer to play the standard xb1 build with better performance, but that would be up to the dev to support and I image they'd do that if their game merited the option.

leeh

If more people end up buying digitally and pre-ordering to pre-load, I don't think that would be seen as a negative in Microsoft's eyes, they get more cash from a digital sale vs physical, right?

Suppose there's not going to be some system-level bypass of the xb1x-spec game version for those who would prefer to play the standard xb1 build with better performance, but that would be up to the dev to support and I image they'd do that if their game merited the option.
Your post have gave me an idea. MS should have a preference in the settings for whether to automatically download 4K assets, or make it optional.

Raide

If you have a One X the console will always render in 4K and supersample to 1080p.

I think some are forgetting the actually want 4k assets even if they only have a 1080p TV and One X.

Cannot see the point of having a One X and a 1080p TV and having the option to use the regular assets. Seems counterproductive.

Neff

You think this is only MS? Lol

Of all the console manufacturers MS is by far the most download-happy in my experience.

Updates/patches are large, and frequent. It seems like they assume the majority of their customers have very fast internet without caps. And for all I know they may do. But due to my relatively low internet speed, my XB1 is always downloading something, which isn't the case with my PS4 or Switch/Wii U/3DS.

EvB

It's obviously better to get XOX assets even in 1080p mode but what does this have to do with downsampling?

The size comes from larger , better quality assets. Which you will see a benefit of even if you were not downsampling

Raide

They are actually way worse than everyone else by far, and their games doesn't justify that in any way.

So developers are just padding out the updates so they take much longer to download etc?

What do you mean their games don't justify it?

Top Bottom