• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Only Xbox One X will download the 4K assets.

MilkyJoe

Sometimes it isn't cost and just a lack of options.

They have a console for people with lack of options, it's called an Xbox One

don_mattrick_xbox_one.png

So if I buy Forza 7 on disc for the XB1X, I still need to download 50GB from the internet to compete the game download?

Hard pass on that, no thanks.

I refuse to believe that people who post these drive by hot takes actually own a next gen console or gaming PC. In the original thread for the Forza 100 GB announcement, people were posting screenshots of their collections, and a decent chunk of the games were well over 50 GBs.

Trup1aya

How would asset quality have nothing to do with supersampling?

Isn't the whole point that you start with the higher resolution and then downsample from there? I guess I don't understand how the tech actually works. But I would think you have to start with the higher quality asset. But if that's not the case please explain supersampling to me.

Asset/texture quality refers to the fidelity of the textures being loaded.

Whether or not downsampling is being used, having higher quality assets means objects and surfaces will appear more detailed, especially upclose when textures generally start to look stretched out.

The resolution refers to how many pixels are being individually processed within the frame.

Asset quality and resolution are two different components of rendering an image. It's possible to have low quality assets, but render at a high resolution just as it's possible to have high quality assets, but render at a low resolution.

The allure of the 1X to me is that, relative to other consoles, the hardware is capable of pushing Higher Quality Assets at Higher Resolutions. But some, people wouldn't be opposed to skipping the HQ assets download out of convienience.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I think they avoid specifically addressing Forza?

The potential is still there for the base game to be 100GB for all xboxes, and the 4k assets to be even more on top of that.

Hopefully not, but we don't have clarity yet. And considering the sizes of some previous XB1 games, it is possible the basic game is that big.

Trup1aya

I think they avoid specifically addressing Forza?

The potential is still there for the base game to be 100GB for all xboxes, and the 4k assets to be even more on top of that.

Hopefully not, but we don't have clarity yet. And considering the sizes of some previous XB1 games, it is possible the basic game is that big.

Realistically, this doesn't seem likely at all. The takeaway from this article, is that going forward, games should have smaller footprints.

Forza 6 was 45GB at launch. Why would Forza 7 be 100GB without HQ assets? Especially when they are going further and letting users sort out language packs and such...

PFD

This doesn't really help the situation though? If you've got an Xbox One X and a non 4K TV then you're still going to be downloading 4K assets?

You would still get the 4K textures benefit on a 1080p TV when you walk up close to objects in the game

This is good. 4K textures are fucking huge.

Fallout 4 is like a 50GB download on Steam
Rainbow Six Siege Ultra Textures are over 30GB.

m23

Best way to do this is to have two discs, one being the base game and one being the 4K assets. They'll really have to differentiate the discs to avoid any tampering or swapping.

They'll be manufacturing discs which for the most part wouldn't even be used. The majority of players will be non X1X users so why would they include an additional disc with every copy?

Best way to do this is to have two discs, one being the base game and one being the 4K assets. They'll really have to differentiate the discs to avoid any tampering or swapping.
Extra discs seems backwards when we live in a digital age lol... + the majority of Xbox owners will have an OG or the S, with the minority having the X.

Too confusing, X1S owners have a disc they will never use?

Simply buy an Xbox One game on disc and if you have an X1 you download the the assets needed for that version and if you have a X1S you dont.

Its not rocket surgery.

They're already making way less on physical vs digital. Adding another disc and having a case that holds 2 discs just adds on to that.

Plus it'll only benefit 5-10% of the userbase. They'd never do it.

Trup1aya

Publishers ain't gonna double the amount of discs they press for a feature that will be used by a minority of the people who buy the game.

Fredrik

I'm not sure what you're discussing here but having access to the higher res assets will obviously benefit both 4K TV owners and 1080p TV owners, not equally as much for obvious reasons but this has so far been one of many reasons why PC versions looks so much better than console versions, in short it's the Ultra options for texture quality that we're talking about here. And rendering on a higher resolution and then downsample to fit a lower resolution screen will give you a better image quality.

Read my post again and then read your question again.
And some people may want an xbox one x for better performance at 1080p ps4/xbox one quality assets, but not care about 4k.

Yeah?

You don't need 4K to make use of "4K Assetsl.

Video games are interactive, they aren't CGI movies. High res textures are still a benefit because when you move closer to them, they hold up better.

This whole 4K asset thing is really confusing people it seems.

If you don't care about 4K that's fine, but if you buy a 1X, you getting the high res assets with better IQ and Performenceis the purpose of the damn machine.

This outrage is silly.

I specifically said in my post that you quoted that some people might not want high quality assets packs if they have a 1080p tv.
Some people will have a 1080p and will definitely want as high quality assets as possible.
Make it optional.

Bobnob

Sorry to post in here but is there a thread that explains downsampling for me ? and other than 4k assets will forza 7 on X1X get other graphics improvements over the X1 version like better rain droplets, shadows effects etc ? i'm excited about X1X and eventually will get a 4k set (a year or two) but in the mean time will a X1X upgrade be worth it and why?

I was on the forza forum recently were someone asked why T10 did'nt show OG X1 footage and the answers he got didn't impress me, like its the same game etc etc yes it sure is but do we get anything else?, is downsampling a massive improvement on its own ?

leeh

Sorry to post in here but is there a thread that explains downsampling for me ? and other than 4k assets will forza 7 on X1X get other graphics improvements over the X1 version like better rain droplets, shadows effects etc ? i'm excited about X1X and eventually will get a 4k set (a year or two) but in the mean time will a X1X upgrade be worth it and why?

I was on the forza forum recently were someone asked why T10 did'nt show OG X1 footage and the answers he got didn't impress me, like its the same game etc etc yes it sure is but do we get anything else?, is downsampling a massive improvement on its own ?
It is. The game will look more like the bullshots which are usually shown pre-release. Bullshots are usually really high res screenshots which are downsampled.

The image will be super crisp with no jaggies to be seen.

Hot dang! Just read the OP and I find this news pretty exciting in a strange way. I wondered if Microsoft would find a way to not bog down Xbox One S owners with 4K patches that they don't need. This seems to confirm that they're doing things the right way which I really respect.

Any word on whether we can choose to download the 4K assets if we don't own the One X? It's a small nitpick, but I'll have bought/downloaded most of my games before the console comes out. It'd be nice to have them pre-loaded and ready to supersample rather than downloading a bunch of patches once I get the new box.

Down sampling from 4K to 1080p will basically give you fantastic anti aliasing. So pretty much no jaggies anywhere and a really high quality 1080p image.

As for graphics, it's a safe bet that X1X will have some better features than the standard XB1. Higher resolution textures with more detail is the most obvious one. But there can certainly be the other things you mention too, like shadows, particle effects, greater draw distance, less LOD pop in, and so on.

Just how big the differences are we can only wait and see for actual comparisons, and a good amount of games to test against. But the X1X certainly has the horsepower to do these things, and you will see all the benefits on a 1080p set.

Gamezone

Gold Member
They will have to buy less of them, therefore their profits will increase.

...Is that what you wanted, right?

Doesn't seem like a huge deal when I buy my favorite TV series on 10 discs in one box for $15. It's not like they're forcing me to download the remaining two discs while watching the other eight.

For the whole disc debate, do we have any confirmation that Forza 7 is 100Gb on-disc? I'd think they'd just add the extra content via download. Halo 5 and MCC don't have all the content on-disc right?

Sounds dreadful.

Strange how Xbox focus on connected/digital future but don't give a fuck about "the most internet-connected region in the world" - The Nordic region.

Downloading assets sounds dreadful? Like, do people have a major problem with this on PC? It's not like Valve ships you a 12 DVD pack of high-resolution textures if you want to play a game at 4K... You just download and install the game.

I swear some people are just trying so hard to think that everything is a problem. Also don't really see what downloading assets has to do with the Nordic region, probably one of the smallest consumer videogame markets, despite high per capita internet connection.

JaffeLion

Banned
I swear some people are just trying so hard to think that everything is a problem. Also don't really see what downloading assets has to do with the Nordic region, probably one of the smallest consumer videogame markets, despite high per capita internet connection.

yup, totally agreed. especially when it comes to xbox. I mean we just had a thread about complaining how he/she gets so many updates. oh did I forget to mention that the person is also IN THE INSIDER PROGRAM... WTF seriously, some people are trying REALLY HARD.

Also, everyone complaining about this right here... what else is the option? Should they ship the games with the 4K assets on the disc? or what should they do?

ss_lemonade

You will get better quality when you downsample 4k assets to 1080p.
I know, but you'll still get downsampling benefits no matter what the texture sizes are. Looking at some comments here, people seem to get the impression that asset resolution and image resolution are one and the same or something

EmiPrime

Xbox One discs for first party games are becoming increasingly worthless for game preservation purposes. That's unfortunate.

So X users on 1080p TVs might have HDD space wasted for nothing?

As many others have stated, that extra content is used for downsampling on a 1080p set. If you only have a 1080p set and have no interest in that feature, the Xbox One X literally has nothing to offer you.

Top Bottom