• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SFV Thailand stage removed from store: Speculates BGM using "islamic prayer"

rrs

Cruisn' World's release predates OoT.

It is conceivable that the use of the sample in that game is what alerted Nintendo to potential controversy in the first place, but Midway's game is not Nintendo's game, so either it was more difficult to prevent future revisions/shipments of the game from containing that sample, or Midway's game didn't sell enough copies to justify a new release with new code.

In either case I don't think they 'got away' with it given the timeline and how they revised OoT.
also the game never showed up on virtual console when the first game in the series did, despite Cruis'n World being the way better game and as equally owned by nintendo as the first one

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.

woopWOOP

Just replace chants with some dope sounding Thai choir

Or use those weird free reusable hums like Zelda did I guess

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Muslim chants in a Buddhist(?) temple themed stage.

Presumably it's not labeled as a Muslim chant in the sound library people are pulling it from, but you never know with Capcom.

I'm inclined to think this is an honest mistake caused by an understandable lack of knowledge about Islamic traditions.

Presumably it's not labeled as a Muslim chant in the sound library people are pulling it from, but you never know with Capcom.
It's literally called track 76 (part of the voice spectral vol. 1 library). Which sorts of begs the question after OOT did Nintendo let the people behind that library know about that track?

There's so many Buddhist chanting monk CDs out there they could've sampled from; whoever put this music together must have no clue about Thailand or Buddhism.

jbug617

Banned
Capcom confirms this is what happened. Game is going to go under maintenance again and the music will be replace with another stage music.

Numb

image.php

Mista Koo

This happened with the first LittleBigPlanet, too.
Not exactly. While the result is more or less the same, LBP's track composer is a Muslim who added the Quran verses to honor his religion and include it into his art.

I still don't see how that's an issue. It's okay to make sacreligeous things.
It's not about that, it's about not offending people due to your ignorance. Like imagine if a sample had the n word and someone decided it sounded cool for a stage.

I suppose that's a good enough explanation. Islam really needs to get on with the times.
lol

Syntsui

Just played on this stage today, it was playing Cammy's theme that I guess I customized to play every damn time >.>

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Guys, maybe don't sample things in languages you don't know.

Also, geez, it's always the same sample isn't it? Has anyone ever tracked the sample down, find out what audio library has it? Because it keeps happening...

Japanese Game Developers: "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, uh... well, you don't get fooled again!"

It's astounding how this exact same prayer gets reused and we get the exact same chain of events. Every. Single. Time.

TLZ

Banned
I just don't get how that's an issue.
Thailand = Buddhists and Islamic prayers don't mix. Also in Islamic tradition Islamic prayers don't mix with music. Add to that Buddhists would be offended as Islamic prayers don't represent them.

So it's just all wrong.

Zapages

The problem is that the vocals in the SFV version as compared to other controversies in the video game industry.

Aside from that Capcom needs to be more intelligent about this.

There's so many Buddhist chanting monk CDs out there they could've sampled from; whoever put this music together must have no clue about Thailand or Buddhism.
This. They're even rhythmic and almost musical in and of themselves, and would probably make great backing for a music track.

Yeah, it is a shame that people ignorantly use other peoples' cultures as background dressing.
You can know everything about everything and worry about offending people because they believe the sky is green or whatever.

It's clearly an innocent mistake as it's a generic sound file, doubt it would be removed if it was related to another religion either, wish is sad

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
if its cool enough for your aesthetic but not your respect then maybe you're the one with problems

It's not a shame. It's respecting the other. We should learn more about the other instead of ignoring.

Well they obviously are choosing what to "respect" since they are removing the Islamic prayer but they aren't removing anything related to Buddhism in the stage (are they?)

It's not a shame. It's respecting the other. We should learn more about the other instead of ignoring.
its a generic sample of chanting, you shouldn't have to worry about some nut jobs trying to kill you because you used some sounds in an arcade game.

Obviously it's clearly incorrect - in a better world this would just have been amusing not offensive. But here we are :)

its a generic sample of chanting, you shouldn't have to worry about some nut jobs trying to kill you because you used some sounds in an arcade game.

Obviously it's clearly incorrect - in a better world this would just have been amusing not offensive. But here we are :)
Really now?

It's funny how this Islamic chant is off limits because it's offensive to Muslims...But it's ok to have a fighting venue in a Buddhist temple. Capcom doesn't seem worried about offending Thais.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
its religion dude, who gives a fuck
I mean, Capcom obviously does, given they removed it.

Now tell us how you really feel.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
It's funny how this Islamic chant is off limits because it's offensive to Muslims...But it's ok to have a fighting venue in a Buddhist temple. Capcom doesn't seem worried about offending Thais.

To be honest they could have just removed it because they realized it was a bit odd having Islamic chanting in a Thai Buddhist themed stage. I get what you're saying, but they didn't really state their reason as one or the other and I could imagine them wanting to have something more accurate once the error was pointed out even if no one was going to be offended.

I must've missed capcom's statement about attempts on employee lives.
theres been plenty of times a religion has been "offended" by this kind of thing and made threats and carried out attacks, French cartoonists know only too well. It's not a stretch to see that as a major reason for doing this.

To be honest they could have just removed it because they realized it was a bit odd having Islamic chanting in a Thai Buddhist themed stage. I get what you're saying, but they didn't really state their reason as one or the other and I could imagine them wanting to have something more accurate once the error was pointed out even if no one was going to be offended.
Probably both. Fundamentalist Buddhists would be up in arms over this.

There are some places in SEA where there's a lot of friction between the two religion.

Top Bottom