• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 sells (to consumers) ~2 million units in 1 month WW

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
None of that really seems to justify those sales numbers to me.

If my circle of friends is anything to go by (and most of us own WiiUs) its a combination of the fact that most people who own WiiU's currently are huge Nintendo fans and people desperate for some good local multiplayer after burning out on Nintendoland

Orayn

Really? What makes Mario Kart 8 a better game than any of the others? The fact that it's HD?

Does MK8 need to be dramatically better than the others to be a popular game for the system it's on?

It's fucking Mario Kart. It's a good game and people like it. It provides a great experience that relatively few other developers even attempt.

Stimpack

If my circle of friends is anything to go by (and most of us own WiiUs) its a combination of the fact that most people who own WiiU's currently are huge Nintendo fans and people desperate for some good local multiplayer after burning out on Nintendoland

Now that makes sense. I haven't paid attention to the line-up currently, but I imagine for some reason there aren't many multiplayer "party" games?

Does MK8 need to be dramatically better than the others to be a popular game for the system it's on?

It's fucking Mario Kart. It's a good game and people like it. It provides a great experience that relatively few other developers even attempt.
Do I think games should offer more than those that followed? Yeah. Do I think developers should challenge themselves instead of relying on updated graphical capabilities? Yeah.

Call me crazy, guys, but I'm not saying anything that's too hard to grasp here. Don't bite my head off for asking. Does no one tire of the same thing in a different package?

Makai

lotHIhp.jpg

Stimpack

drop the pretense you don't actually give a shit

I care very much about a Nintendo that decided to innovate and make progress. What I don't care for is a Nintendo that decides to pump out the same game with superficial changes. While it's all good and well to have throwbacks to the good ol' days, at some point I'd rather just play the SNES because it's literally offering the same thing, except... better.

OmegaDL50

I care very much about a Nintendo that decided to innovate and make progress. What I don't care for is a Nintendo that decides to pump out the same game with superficial changes. While it's all good and well to have throwbacks to the good ol' days, at some point I'd rather just play the SNES because it's literally offering the same thing, except... better.

Are you honestly saying that none of the Mario Kart games after the SNES don't offer a multitude of gameplay improvements or innovations to the series since its debut.

Let me ask you something. What Nintendo series HAS done this since you think Mario Kart hasn't? This should be interesting.

Since your opinion is already formed you don't need to pretend you want to understand why the game sells/is well received just so you can get people to waste their time humoring you.

lol

Your concern is noted.

Servbot24

Banned
Well deserved.

Sorry Polygon guess you're in-depth study on predicting sales was wrong.

I thought they just said that MK8 would be the worst selling Mario Kart? Not that it wouldn't sell well respective to Wii U sales. The reason the article was criticized is because it was so fucking obvious, not because it was wrong.

good grief. what does justify good sales in your opinion then? the game is fun as hell, and probably the best mario kart game ever. how does that not justify good sales?

Call me crazy, guys, but I'm not saying anything that's too hard to grasp here. Don't bite my head off for asking. Does no one tire of the same thing in a different package?

It's not the same. It's an improvement in every area, plus brings several new ideas and gameplay mechanics to the table as well.

Neff

Mario Kart is always guaranteed a certain amount of success simply because it's Mario Kart. It's an old, well-known, well-loved, consistently high-quality series. The fact that this is arguably the best/prettiest one yet is giving added momentum to a MK title on a format with a relatively small install base.

So I'd say the figures are about right.

random25

Facepalm-GIF_1.gif

Stimpack

Since your opinion is already formed you don't need to pretend you want to understand why the game sells/is well received just so you can get people to waste their time humoring you.

Techno is the only one who bothered to say something more than "it's a fun good game." And even his response ended up saying it's beautiful and better balanced. I understand that people need party games for their system, and that makes sense to me. If there's reason beyond that, I'd genuinely like to know. My opinions on the matter are not already formed, but Nintendo has the habit of treading on familiar ground. They have for a long time now.

I think their E3 this year was the best in years, and due mostly to the fact that it seems they're willing to make some kind of significant changes. What's worrying to me is games that are pumped out for no reason other than they felt the need to have a new one on the system. It's worrying, because it sends a direct message to Nintendo that the same shit that worked before will continue to work today.

Maybe that's what people want, but it's not what I want. I don't entirely understand what issue anyone would have with that, but apparently there is an issue. My apologies if that means I'm stepping on toes, but I'm not trying to personally offend anyone here.

Mario Kart U will keep selling for as long as the Wii U is Nintendo´s current console. Selling 2m over a single month is amazing considering the Wii U install base.

I don't even like Polygon, but I'm willing to bet a good deal of those shitting on them about this chart also expected this to flop. I recall many here saying it would

itxaka

Defeatist
Quick question for anyone who's read the article... who's projections is that chart based off? Is it Pachter or some other analyst? Or is it actually Polygon's staff who made that projection?

I guessing they did an average of console/mario kart percentage sold and applied to the WiiU?

OmegaDL50

Techno is the only one who bothered to say something more than "it's a fun good game." And even his response ended up saying it's beautiful and better balanced. I understand that people need party games for their system, and that makes sense to me. If there's reason beyond that, I'd genuinely like to know. My opinions on the matter are not already formed, but Nintendo has the habit of treading on familiar ground. They have for a long time now.

I think their E3 this year was the best in years, and due mostly to the fact that it seems they're willing to make some kind of significant changes. What's worrying to me is games that are pumped out for no reason other than they felt the need to have a new one on the system. It's worrying, because it sends a direct message to Nintendo that the same shit that worked before will continue to work today.

Maybe that's what people want, but it's not what I want. I don't entirely understand what issue anyone would have with that, but apparently there is an issue. My apologies if that means I'm stepping on toes, but I'm not trying to personally offend anyone here.

Why do people have this concept that in order for a game to be enjoyable and fun It must always try to innovate or do something "different" or "take risks". I guess these are the same people that don't understand the concept of "It it isn't broken, don't fix it" and by often a majority of the time, said changes tend to break things or do away with notable staples that make the series great to begin with, not that I'm claiming you are saying any of this, but I've seen many other people with this line of thought.

Change is good and so is innovation, but too much change a series becomes nearly unrecognizable. Change for the sake of change is pointless unless it it offers something good and positive. Simply changing things just for the sake of being different seldom backfires more often then not, and Mario Kart over years has brought many good changes.

As I said before, innovation is good, but too much change can do far more harm then good, to the point of becoming something completely unlike or at all similar or recognizable to the core audience the game is being targeted for.

Tradition has it's place, otherwise you end up with something like FFXIII that almost completely abandons all notable staples and worthwhile conventions the series was known for and just does things different "just, because"

Mario Kart has improved over the years, if you don't want to see this and are denying it hasn't, well I don't know what to tell you. You've already made your opinion on it despite saying you haven't.

MisterHero

I don't even like Polygon, but I'm willing to bet a good deal of those shitting on them about this chart also expected this to flop. I recall many here saying it would
It's not going to outsell Wii U itself, so saying it won't do as well as the the DS/Wii versions is pretty much a given.

On the other hand it would be just dandy if it sold 10 million Wii Us.

y2dvd

I just took the MK8 survey and it asked why I bought this game and I said "Luigi Death Stare". Nintendo, take notice of viral marketing!

I thought they just said that MK8 would be the worst selling Mario Kart? Not that it wouldn't sell well respective to Wii U sales. The reason the article was criticized is because it was so fucking obvious, not because it was wrong.

They predicted that MK8 would sell 1.26M units lifetime.

brinstar

Techno is the only one who bothered to say something more than "it's a fun good game." And even his response ended up saying it's beautiful and better balanced. I understand that people need party games for their system, and that makes sense to me. If there's reason beyond that, I'd genuinely like to know.

There's also a large gap between Mario Kart releases. It's been nearly 3 years since the last one and 6 years since the last time it's been on a home console. I have a completely different set of friends than when Mario Kart Wii came out, haha. There's also the general knowledge fans have that there's one MK that releases per Nintendo's platform. So if you skip one, you're gonna have to wait a bit before the next one.

As for the feeling of familiarity, I can understand that. MKDS - 8 have all been pretty similar with balance and roster changes between them. But personally, I like MK to be a rock I can rely on. The reason I disliked Double Dash so much was because I felt they went a little too crazy with it.

Top Bottom