• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 sells (to consumers) ~2 million units in 1 month WW

Stimpack

Why do people have this concept that in order for a game to be enjoyable and fun It must always try to innovate or do something "different" or "take risks". I guess these are the same people that don't understand the concept of "It it isn't broken, don't fix it" and by often a majority of the time, said changes tend to break things or do away with notable staples that make the series great to begin with, not that I'm claiming you are saying any of this, but I've seen many other people with this line of thought.

Change is good and so is innovation, but too much change a series becomes nearly unrecognizable. Change for the sake of change is pointless unless it it offers something good and positive. Simply changing things just for the sake of being different seldom backfires more often then not, and Mario Kart over years has brought many good changes.

As I said before, innovation is good, but too much change can do far more harm then good, to the point of becoming something completely unlike or at all similar or recognizable to the core audience the game is being targeted for.

Tradition has it's place, otherwise you end up with something like FFXIII that almost completely abandons all notable staples and worthwhile conventions the series was known for and just does things different "just, because"

Mario Kart has improved over the years, if you don't want to see this and are denying it hasn't, well I don't know what to tell you. You've already made your opinion on it despite saying you haven't.

I recognize your point, and I understand that tradition has its place. Mario Kart is fine for being Mario Kart, but it saddens me that the frontrunner of a console at this point in its life is essentially the same thing in a different wrapper. Tradition is a wonderful thing, but I think there's a point where it begins to stifle creativity. That is my point, and the reason for my question as to whether the sales and hype are truly deserved.

But I have the feeling what I'm saying won't really lead to anything more than aggressive responses from most, so I'll just leave it at that. Ultimately there's no point in getting all worked up about what someone says on the internet, so try not to take my comments to heart, guys. I'm not trying to shit all over the stuff that you love, even if I don't totally agree with what's being said.

Orayn

Techno is the only one who bothered to say something more than "it's a fun good game." And even his response ended up saying it's beautiful and better balanced. I understand that people need party games for their system, and that makes sense to me. If there's reason beyond that, I'd genuinely like to know. My opinions on the matter are not already formed, but Nintendo has the habit of treading on familiar ground. They have for a long time now.

Yet they do it with restraint. Each Nintendo platform gets one Mario Kart game, and they always have enough changes and new content that people don't feel like they're buying the same thing over again.

What Nintendo does with Mario Kart is nothing compared to the big publishers' yearly and 2-year series. If you're going to shit on Mario Kart for being samey, you should probably say something about those.

Guamu

I thought they just said that MK8 would be the worst selling Mario Kart? Not that it wouldn't sell well respective to Wii U sales. The reason the article was criticized is because it was so fucking obvious, not because it was wrong.

Not quite. It was criticized for more than one reason.

Their predictions were all over the place. They said it would be the worst selling MK, and this could still be true in the long run, but they also stated that it would sell 1.99 million by march 2015 as the best case scenario. They also throwed an estimate of 1.26 million sales without explaining when they expected it would be reached or if this was the expected "probable" LTD
Also it seems they were comparing estimates of MK8 first-year sales vs. LTD sales on all the other platforms.

tanooki27

I recognize your point, and I understand that tradition has its place. Mario Kart is fine for being Mario Kart, but it saddens me that the frontrunner of a console at this point in its life is essentially the same thing in a different wrapper. Tradition is a wonderful thing, but I think there's a point where it begins to stifle creativity. That is my point, and the reason for my question as to whether the sales and hype are truly deserved.

But I have the feeling what I'm saying won't really lead to anything more than aggressive responses from most, so I'll just leave it at that. Ultimately there's no point in getting all worked up about what someone says on the internet, so try not to take my comments to heart, guys. I'm not trying to shit all over the stuff that you love, even if I don't totally agree with what's being said.

Out of curiosity, do you believe Watch Dogs deserved its sales and hype?

RM8

Pretty impressive. See, in the end while WiiU is an underperforming platform, it'll probably outsell systems like TG16, Saturn and Dreamcast and become a tiny, moderate success. Sure, that's a low goal and by far Nintendo's lowest selling system if it doesn't even reach GCN numbers, but I'd see it as a tiny, moderate success if it ends up being one of those systems (while making at least some money for Nintendo, and getting a cool library which is indeed happening) as opposed to downright tragedy-systems like 3DO, Jaguar, Pippin, CD-i, N-Gage, Gizmondo, etc.

Stimpack

Yet they do it with restraint. Each Nintendo platform gets one Mario Kart game, and they always have enough changes and new content that people don't feel like they're buying the same thing over again.

What Nintendo does with Mario Kart is nothing compared to the big publishers' yearly and 2-year series. If you're going to shit on Mario Kart for being samey, you should probably say something about those.

One last thing, what I've said is most certainly not tied to Nintendo. A lot of companies do the same things year after year, and are far worse offenders. Trust me that I dislike that just as much! Also I have actually forgotten how long it's been since a Mario Kart was released on a home console, which does make somewhat of a difference. Anyway, that's enough Mario Kart talk for me.

Out of curiosity, do you believe Watch Dogs deserved its sales and hype?

No, but that's another conversation entirely.

ironcreed

Banned
Pretty impressive. See, in the end while WiiU is an underperforming platform, it'll probably outsell systems like TG16, Saturn and Dreamcast and become a tiny, moderate success. Sure, that's a low goal and by far Nintendo's lowest selling system if it doesn't even reach GCN numbers, but I'd see it as a tiny, moderate success if it ends up being one of those systems (while making at least some money for Nintendo, and getting a cool library which is indeed happening) as opposed to downright tragedy-systems like 3DO, Jaguar, Pippin, CD-i, N-Gage, Gizmondo, etc.

The Wii U is the darling GAF deserves, and the darling GAF needs. We have two systems sharing most of the same games, but the lowly little Wii U has sat in the back of the room, quietly building up a strong stable of exclusives and then impressed even further at E3 with a showing of an even stronger future as we move forward. All without online subscriptions, a cheaper price and full backwards compatibility. No, it will not be a roaring success, but it sure as hell is shaping up into an amazing system with plenty to offer that can't be had elsewhere.

ZenaxPure

I recognize your point, and I understand that tradition has its place. Mario Kart is fine for being Mario Kart, but it saddens me that the frontrunner of a console at this point in its life is essentially the same thing in a different wrapper. Tradition is a wonderful thing, but I think there's a point where it begins to stifle creativity. That is my point, and the reason for my question as to whether the sales and hype are truly deserved..

I never really understand posts like these (since more than just MK get them). I mostly just don't understand what changes people realistically expect an ongoing series to go under outside of becoming a different game entirely. They have a base concept that people respond well to and each new game offers improvements/changes. Anytime someone says that sequels should offer more than the previous game it always sounds so intangible, they never give a clear idea what any of that actually means as is the case with your posts as well. You say that the game should offer more than the previous but do not mention a single thing that it should actually offer.

It's not like the game is exactly the same as the previous one with newer graphics, there are plenty of changes but they are much more subtle since at the broadest level this is still a kart racing game, just like the rest.

RM8

The Wii U is the darling GAF deserves, and the darling GAF needs. We have two systems sharing most of the same games, but the lowly little Wii U has sat in the back of the room, quietly building up a strong stable of exclusives and then impressed even further at E3 with a showing of an even stronger future as we move forward. All without online subscriptions, a cheaper price and full backwards compatibility. No, it will not be a roaring success, but it sure as hell is shaping up into an amazing system with plenty to offer that can't be had elsewhere.
Yup.

BTW that's probably the worst redacted post in my GAF history and now that you quoted it I won't bother fixing it, lol.

Honey Bunny

Aw thats so sweet

Development should've started earlier then. Planning goes a long way...

This. If all you have on your system is your own games, yooooou might want to put them out faster.

Glad the Wii U userbase is enjoying something they've been waiting for.

jts

...hate me...
I believe development began when Mario Kart 7 finished. They couldn't have started earlier.
Well, then MK7 development should've started earlier and so forth :p

I'm guessing they didn't feel the need to plan for this kind of big hitter to hit during the holiday season, back when the Wii U was being developed and planned. Left that season cleared for 3D World (which needs the holiday boost a bit more than Mario Kart).

big_z

Absolute fools for not getting this released before last Xmas as their #1 priority.

they probably figured Mario world would be enough. its hard to say if Mario kart 8 has helped move that many systems but it seems like it has.

this year if they're smart they'll release a track pack, battle mode and character dlc expansion before the holiday season and advertise that along side smash brothers.

Well, then MK7 development should've started earlier and so forth :p

It's easy to say this with hindsight, but game development takes a long time.
Things don't always go as planned, and other important projects often get in the way.
I doubt EAD1 was only working on MK8 after they finished 7. I'm sure those guys were spread around to help with other projects like Nintendo Land.

Chindogg

This. If all you have on your system is your own games, yooooou might want to put them out faster.

Glad the Wii U userbase is enjoying something they've been waiting for.

To be fair, at the time they were relying on third parties to fill the launch window, which is why they deliberately delayed Pikmin 3. Then you saw what happened...

Came out earlier in Japan I think.

2548012-1521768639-mario.jpg

That has to be an Arthur Geis chart?

NateDrake

alright so who wants to do the math to estimate how much itll sell this month along with wiiU numbers?

We can roughly estimate MK8 did in the area of 400k in June for North America - unless European sales are incredibly strong. We know sales in Japan are close to 500k. So an additional 400k in US would bring totals to about 800k in the region, 500k in Japan, and another 700 or so for Europe seems reasonable.

OuterLimits

Was never a big fan of the series, but I am enjoying the game quite a bit. Even though I suck at it. Getting the free game made it an easy purchase.

if nintendo can add some dlc and updates to improve the game like balancing items, no more coin items, better hud that includes item views of everyones items, it can give new life to sales

I'm going to do that as well, because of the free game promotion. Later this year I will get a wii u

If you're already going to own two games for the system I have to ask why you're waiting to buy the system itself. Waiting for more games is kind of silly if you already own games, and a price drop is highly unlikely. Are you waiting for a Smash bundle or something? Do you just not have the money? HELP ME UNDERSTAND PEOPLE WHO THINK LIKE YOU.

Top Bottom