• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 sells (to consumers) ~2 million units in 1 month WW

So, it was very front-loaded then. 1.2M within the first couple of days and 0.8M for the rest.
jb0mDDe.png

I don't understand this graph. Like, what is it trying to say? Someone please enlighten me. It makes no sense to me

The Mario Kart series started on the SNES so it's the amount of games in the series sold compared against Nintendo consoles sold since the SNES launched. Attachment rates and such.

VariantX

So, it was very front-loaded then. 1.2M within the first couple of days and 0.8M for the rest.

Isn't that pretty much every game ever? What software doesn't sell the bulk of its software in the first few days? I can only think of evergreen titles like CoD, GTA and a few of the past Mario games.

oneils

Isn't that pretty much every game ever? What software doesn't sell the bulk of its software in the first few days? I can only think of evergreen titles like CoD, GTA and a few of the past Mario games.

Not sure why people thought that post was a dig at nintendo. Don't think he meant it as an insult.

Not sure why people thought that post was a dig at nintendo. Don't think he meant it as an insult.

people are maybe reading a little too far into the intent of the post because really i mean that's as has been pointed out normal for the majority of games and therefore not all that relevant as far as i can tell

plus its based on zero actual data anyway

Has Polygon ever officially responded as to why they made this pie graph? Gawd...

Something deep inside me hurts every time I see it.

There is actually something to be seen in this, although they do a shit job of explaining it.

The whole point of that article was sales of MK as a percentage of sales of the console it's on.

IE: Let's figure out if we can predict the attach rate.

That pie chart represents the attach rate. A 50:50 split would be ideal, since the two values were combined, as opposed to the blue shard being on TOP of the hardware sales, which would make 100:0 the ideal view for a perfect attach rate.

So if you mentally divide that circle down the middle, the blue share is what % of Nintendo console owners generally buy Mario Kart.

Yes, it's poorly done, but there is data to get out of it.

The Mario Kart series started on the SNES so it's the amount of games in the series sold compared against Nintendo consoles sold since the SNES launched. Attachment rates and such.

Isn't the purpose of bar graphs to provide a very quick visual representation of a concept? This bar graph actually takes more time to parse than if the author had actually just written out the point he/she was trying to make.

Hell, even if the author had written his/ her point in Swedish and made me enter it into Google translate that still would have been quicker than deciphering this 'quick visual representation'

Jimrpg

Well I think the free game with mario kart promotion really helps. Brand new game for basically 50% off? Yes please.

They really should do this with every one of their releases. Even if it's a small downloadable.

2 million sold, but how many friendships ruined?

It's part of the business model. You invite people over. The game incites raw hatred. Your friends have sworn to never see you again, but crave more of that sweet kartamphetamine. They need to buy their own consoles for their fix. Instant sales.

OmegaDL50

The thread where people said that Mario Kart wouldn't outsell Titanfall LTD it's getting funnier by the minute.

Even more so there was an individual who said that Mario Kart 8 at most will sell 200k units in that same topic.

This was probably a stupid thing to say just on the basis of being Mario Kart 8 in of itself regardless what game it was up against.

There aren't even 2 million Wii Us out there. Wow.

Not much different then the other statement saying Mario Kart 8 wouldn't sell more then 200k.

ThaGuy

Now only if Nintendo can let third party developers in on the secret to selling a game on wii u then all would be well.

Mariolee

Now only if Nintendo can let third party developers in on the secret to selling a game on wii u then all would be well.

The secret is instantly identifiable characters and good game design.

Except that it's not a secret, just incredibly difficult.

Got home from work today, and all I wanted to do to unwind was kick my buddies butt in another state at some mario kart 8. We played a good hour straight!

olimpia84

It's probably units shipped right? I can't imagine the game selling this well with such small userbase in less than a month.

Top Bottom