• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Maxis is, yet again, removing basic features from new Sims 4

One of the biggest complaints of the Sims series is the fact that Maxis seems a little more than complacent to leave out features present in previous expansion packs. Of course, nobody really expected to have Sims 3 ship with every single feature and object count of Sims 2 + every expansion, but the single most integral and best additions to the Sims 2 were completely removed from 3. Expansion recycling is becoming a real problem, as is the removal of what many would consider basic features to the Sims gameplay experience are being removed.

Maxis' answer? Make this problem worse in Sims 4.

A few days ago news broke out that one of the most celebrated features of Sims 3, Create-a-Style, is nowhere to be seen in Sims 4. This was the feature that allowed players to replace any texture in any object in the game with any other texture. It allowed unprecedented flexibility and was one of the most advertised flagship features of Sims 3.

http://www.edenstyle.it/the-sims-4-interview-with-simguru-jill.html

Some players are not happy about the fact that we don’t have Create a Style in game anymore. What would you like to tell them?
At the moment we are not planning to add Create a Style in game and we don’t know if this feature will be added later on. We are focusing on making the base game great, stable and powerful. We want The Sims 4 to ship with a very high level of quality and we decided to focus on certain areas.

Today comes more amazing news: one of the main life stages of the game, "Toddler", as well as pools, a feature present since the very beginning of the entire series (vanilla Sims 1), will be completely missing from the base game as well:

http://www.polygon.com/2014/6/26/5847212/the-sims-4-no-pools-toddlers-outrage

One of The Sims 4's main features is its revamped Build Mode, which is designed to make it easier than ever to construct the world of your dreams. But according to Ryan Vaughan, a producer on the game at Maxis, "It's not possible for us to include every single feature and piece of content we added to The Sims 3 over the last five years."

I should also add that Teenagers are confirmed to have the same exact height as adults. My inclination is to think that, since they're re-writing the Create-A-Sim engine, they couldn't be arsed to make an editable engine for the Toddler phase and a separate one for the Teenage phase. Gotta cut dem corners.

There is no reason for these omissions other than "we don't have time". And yet, the Sims 4's only claim to fame seems to be in Create-A-Sim, build mode, and an engine re-write (yes, one of the main selling points of the game is "this game won't run like shit this time, we promise"). The rest of the news we're hearing from the game is either in the form of minor gameplay tweaks, or news of what amazing ways Maxis has found to cut features out of the base game. And unlike the quote I've put above, we're not talking about features that were added through specialized expansions in the previous installments, we're talking about features present since the very beginning of the series.

But don't worry, I'm sure we can finally have pools 2 years from now when they release a Seasons expansion pack for the third time.

UDPATE:

I'm sad to learn that there are more missing features/downgrades.

It was also announced that the game will not have a 64bit client and will be limited to 4GB of RAM for the foreseeable future... Disappointing to say the least, considering the game will be around 5+ years...
http://simsvip.com/2014/06/26/the-sims-4-utilizes-a-32-bit-executable/

32bit-300x300.png

No 64bit client even though 80%+ of Steam users have support for 64bit....
http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/

And another lovely piece of information, as McNum kindly states:

You know the open world with 100+ possible Sims living in it in The Sims 3? Yeah, about that... how does 20 sound? Per "district" mind you and you can apparently travel between districts, but the big open world? Yeah... no. Not in The Sims 4.

I did a bit of research and yes, this is indeed true:

http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Knc1w2h3n4c5t/The_Sims_4_is_NOT_Open_World_-_Thoughts?

While the game is not regressing to The Sims 2 one-lot restriction, the game has been split up into various districts, much like The Sims 3 console games were. To cross from district to district, a loading screen will appear.

The Sims 4 also does not include Create-A-Style. This, and the open world were two key leaps forward in The Sims 3, what are your thoughts on them not being included? Do you think it is a plus, since the game will experience less lag on older computers? Or, would you prefer the style of The Sims 3, with an open, sprawling neighborhood?

Update: Also according to SimsVIP's twitter, the average loading time between "district" is 30 seconds.

Please keep in mind this is 30 seconds for the vanilla game. Every single Sims game, all the way back to Sims 1, gets crippled with loading times and bugs as more expansion packs are released.

UPDATE 2:

More downgrades!

Story progression in Sims 3 was hit-and-miss. Well, mostly miss. It was supposed to have Sims move, age, develop families, relationships, and be dynamic in every possible way, from skills to career. The vanilla algorithms that Maxis used were very poorly written, with sims appearing and disappearing at random, family dynamics changing in the blink of an eye, and just general jank behavior from individual households. Thankfully, there are several mods that completely change the way these algorithms work, and essentially finished Maxis' job for them. However, Maxis seems to be uninterested in continuing this in Sims 4 in the same way that it worked in TS3. Courtesy of Capella:

Well it looks like Story Progression has been stripped down http://simsvip.com/2014/07/02/the-sims-4-gurus-talk-story-progression/

Basically, unplayed sims can age and die but they will no longer obtain jobs, won't get married, and won't have kids unless you actually play them. If the sim dies then the game will move in new sims.

At this point I am not very interested in getting the Sims 4 anymore. This seems fine for anyone who likes micro-managing their households like in The Sims 2 but this is a pretty big step back for me. I really enjoyed playing multi-generational games and liked not having to go to each household and make decisions for them in order to have them progress. It was even better with mods that had fixes and gave you more control over how your town would progress.

And the latest entry, no store, work, or school lots. These were mostly introduced in TS3 as "rabbit hole" lots (lots with no interiors that you simply only see Sims go into and out of). However, there were plenty of store lots in The Sims 2, and one of the main features of TS2 was having to go out to the store to get groceries or get them delivered to you. It was basically a push to get you to use the community lots instead of holing your Sims up in their houses forever. Buuut...

Another entry in the parade of missing features: no more school, work, or grocery store lots:

http://simsvip.com/2014/07/02/the-sims-4-no-grocery-store-work-or-school-lots/

UPDATE 3:

The list of careers has been released. Keep in mind that since there are NO rabbit holes, careers have essentially gone back to The Sims 1/2 in execution, where the sim simply disappears and everything about his/her career is done through text. In other words, it's dead easy to add dozens of careers, but we only have the following:

The full career list, with branching paths:

Entertainer: Musician/Comedian
Writer: Author/Journalist
Painter: Master of the Real/Patron of the Arts
Secret Agent: Diamond Agent/Villain
Criminal: Boss/Oracle
Astronomer: Space Ranger/Smuggler
Culinary: Chef/Mixologist
Tech Guru: eSport Gamer/Start-up Entrepeneur

Missing: Military, Law Enforcement, Medicine, Athletic, Politician, Scientist and Education.

There are no rabbit hole buildings, the Sim just disappears off the lot (no car pool either.)

Additionally, there are no usable cars whatsoever. Only decoration, as the sims simply "walk" everywhere:

There are vehicles but they are deco for the neighborhood. Your Sims walk everywhere.

(I guess even the Sims know they live in neighborhoods so tiny that they know they can just walk everywhere)

Aquamarine has done a very nice summary of how neighborhoods work:

In The Sims 4 there are two worlds: Willow Creek, and Oasis Springs.

Each world is separated into six neighborhoods.

Here is an example of one neighborhood:

BG670ZY.jpg

Here is the park neighborhood:

1mZZrJC.jpg

And here is a neighborhood from Oasis Springs:

kPKrvI3.jpg

When you travel between each neighborhood, you encounter a loading screen.

After everything loads you enter a big area that makes you feel like you're in a big world.

However, only a tiny portion of the big area is playable:

c2X6wZq.jpg

The rest of that space is not nearby neighborhoods...it's just there for aesthetic purposes. If you try to go past the boundaries of the tiny red box the game won't let you go any further.

Any open spaces in that tiny red box are Public Spaces where Sims can roam freely.

The non-open spaces in that tiny red box are individual commercial lots or individual residential lots.

You encounter a loading screen when:

1) You go from Willow Creek to Oasis Springs (between worlds)

2) You go from neighborhood to neighborhood

3) You go from the public space in the neighborhood to an individual lot

4) You go between lots in a neighborhood

And as this preview posted by BassDragon, Create-A-Style is most definitely a missed feature by house building aficionados. The base game's objects frequently have incompetently done color matching between objects. In fact, there's no reason to believe any color matching between objects was done at all:

The Sims 4 does away with Create-a-Style, the ability to slap any combination of textures on any object. It replaces this with a set range of colour presets for every item. I don't think Maxis ever explained the change beyond the vague "We are focusing on making the base game great, stable and powerful. We want The Sims 4 to ship with a very high level of quality and we decided to focus on certain areas."

Palette presets do not seem to be a satisfactory alternative, according to this tester:

So at this point I'm going to make a nice tl;dr list and keep it updated at the end of this post:

tl;dr
Things Missing/Downgraded in TS4:
  • No Create-A-Style (added in vanilla TS3)
  • No Toddler life stage (added in vanilla TS2)
  • No pools (there since vanilla TS1)
  • No 64-bit client (not a "removal", but a complete lack of future proofing)
  • No open world (added in vanilla TS3), small districts instead
  • Heavily nerfed story progression (added in vanilla TS3)
  • Loading times back: at least 30 seconds
  • No terrain editing
  • No Grocery Store lots (added in Vanilla TS2)
  • No Work lots (added in Vanilla TS3)
  • No School lots (added in Vanilla TS3)
  • No Carpool (there since vanilla TS1)
  • No usable cars (added in TS2 - Nightlife Exp, present in vanilla TS3)
  • Object colors very poorly matched
  • Very small neighborhoods, "Neighborhood View" is a single static image
  • Two less careers than vanilla TS1
  • Many "classic" careers missing: No Military, Law Enforcement, Medicine, Politics, Pro Athlete

mreddie

EA gonna milk out those expansion packs.

Sims 4: Summer Party
Sims 4: Daycare Dilemma
Sims 4: The other content we cut out from the main game but is in Sims 3.

Oswen

So, "swimming Toddlers" expac coming? Or a The Sims 4 version of Generations which will make teens smaller than adults i guess.

On one hand, the Sims crowd keeps buying all of these damned expansions and lining EA's pockets, but on the other hand you still have to feel maybe a little bad that they're getting a completely neutered product at launch.

jchap

I remember falling in love with the original Sims. Then I bought Sims Online like a fool. After that fiasco the series was 100% dead to me.

Mr. F

Banned
The SimCity design philosophy. Modern Maxis bums me the fuck out, what a complete and utter fall from grace.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I don't really care for Create-a-style, but toddlers and pools not included?

Fuck you, EA, and you too Maxis, for not standing up to your fanbase. Was thinking about buying this game since it's been years since I played a Sims game. Guess I'll just stick to Sims 2.

Only way for them to understand, is to make it hurt. Worked with SimCity (albeit after a year), and hopefully it'll work with Battlefield.

LaserHawk

I stopped playing The Sims when I bought Sims 3 and discovered that it was mainly a conduit for paid DLC. There were so few hairstyles and furniture items included in the game, yet even at launch you could load up their store and find TONS of hairstyles and furniture to be purchased separately. I don't expect Sims 4 to be any different.

McNum

Have any other features been removed? My girlfriend would be very interested in knowing.
You know the open world with 100+ possible Sims living in it in The Sims 3? Yeah, about that... how does 20 sound? Per "district" mind you and you can apparently travel between districts, but the big open world? Yeah... no. Not in The Sims 4.

I remember last August where I all optimistically and excitedly called the OT for this game. I'm getting the feeling that will take a slightly less than celebratory tone now. I mean, it was always going to have a bit of snark, comes with the series, but this is just going to be fun to do now.

Pools is inexcusable but the toddler stage was always annoying. I wouldn't mind if they redefined the growth of Sims. Make it more a natural progression instead of they one day transform into an older character. That apparently won't happen with Sims 4 though. Maybe when Sims 5 comes out in another 5-6 years.

kadotsu

Banned
I'm kind of amazed that EA had the "restraint" to not implement a energy mechanic into the Sims. There really should be more than one game in this genre to keep the companies honest.

Jintor

Well fuck. I was getting on board with their media blitz (E3 DIE OF LAUGHTER notwithstanding) but this just fucking out and out sucks. I'll wait for cheap expansions (so, like, four years after release I guess)

Whenever they do add those things, I imagine you won't have to pay for them.

They may come at the same time as an expansion, but Sims 3 added many gameplay tweeks through patches. Things that were advertised alongside expansions but added to the game through an update.

MayMay

Banned
Fuck off Maxis, you ruined Sim City - and now you ruin Sims (if they didnt do it already with Sims 3).

I can't even blame EA for that anymore, like.. I bet they (Maxis) made the decision to not have pools in the game.

Pools.

THE most central part of The Sims since forever lol

Karak

I love the Sims. I hate the Sims.

That has been me since day one. They try this crap all the time.

Kimaka

Just when I was getting excited about this game. I could take CAS being gone and 4 not being as open world as 3 because it would be easier to optimize. What reason (besides the obvious DLC milking) is there to taking out toddlers and swimming pools? These are basic components of the Sims. Especially pools which have been in the base game since the Sims 1.

fader

If they were to add every since feature from the past game + expansion, how big would the game be?

it would be 50GB > but no one is asking them to add EVERYTHING from previous Sims games but when you take out the quintessential parts of sims games and sell them as expansion packs just to fill the quota it can rub people the wrong way and i am glad people are finally becoming more vocal about it.

SnakeEyes

Banned
My God, why is Maxis so content to just fuck things up? You'd think they'd be trying to get consumers excited, instead they're repeating their terrible handling of a game, like they did with SimCity!

todahawk

Whenever they do add those things, I imagine you won't have to pay for them.

They may come at the same time as an expansion, but Sims 3 added many gameplay tweeks through patches. Things that were advertised alongside expansions but added to the game through an update.

that was then, this is now... don't see it happening.

Vilifier

Neo Member
Looks like I will have to sit this game out until they patch more content in. If they end up making it require expansions for standard content it should have shipped with, then I will wait even longer for the price to come down before I even try the game.

Top Bottom