• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

German Federal Elections 2017 |OT| Electing the new leader of the free world

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
That total tax burden differs from model to model.

It is 21 billion lower in the left model over the current state, so my point still stands: Barring some people close to the top of the 9th percentile, only the highest grossing 10% would have to pay more taxes under the left model, so in what sense is this model targeting the wrong people?

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
It is 21 billion lower in the left model over the current state, so my point still stands: Barring some people close to the top of the 9th percentile, only the highest grossing 10% would have to pay more taxes under the left model, so in what sense is this model targeting the wrong people?

That's a question for Haunted, I only wanted to correct the numbers.

If I had to criticize their plans, my critique would aim at their financial concept. A "Vermögenssteuer" of 5% alone sounds quite ridiculous once one realizes that things like business assets and real estate are subject to it. Add to that all the other proposed increases to business taxes, and the entire things becomes a threat to mid-sized and family businesses. Yet this is by far the main component of their plan.

The reason 1207 why you should not vote for the FDP. There is simply no lobby organization and no market player that is too disreputable for this party.

https://www.facebook.com/zigaretten...178892765064/1893932717489679/?type=3&theater

Germany is the only EU member state to still allow billboard and cinema advertisements for tobacco products. The consequences of this can be seen if one researches the most frequent causes of death in Germany.

Well, we have to take care about the financial impact of "Ausweichvergalten", don't we...

www.spiegel.de/wirtschaft/tabaksteu...ucher-bei-der-stange-halten-a-250588-amp.html

super.modulaire

Neo Member
The situation is a bit boring.

It's either
-CDU/CSU and SPD or
-CDU/CSU, FDP and Greens

There's no chance for another coalition judging by all polls/projections/odds tracker.

And the AfD will be the No. 3 party in the Bundestag (comfortably).

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Going by the polls, it'll actually be very close.

Sadly, I wouldn't be surprised to see the AfD do better than the polls predict.

http://www.faz.net/aktuell/politik/...ber-die-afd-unzuverlaessig-sind-15198421.html

Und dann gibt es da noch die AfD. Die bereitet nicht nur dem CSU-Präsidium Kopfzerbrechen, sondern auch den Demoskopen. „Radikale Parteien zu messen ist schwerer, weil sich viele Leute dazu nicht bekennen wollen.” Außerdem mobilisiere die AfD überdurchschnittlich viele Nichtwähler, die sich erst kurz vor der Wahl entscheiden.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

It's either
-CDU/CSU and SPD or
-CDU/CSU, FDP and Greens

There's no chance for another coalition judging by all polls/projections/odds tracker.

Actually, I expect CDU/CSU/FDP. It is not really far off in the polls and for some reason people like to vote for the parties that seem to be winning anyway.

Green Yoshi

It's either
-CDU/CSU and SPD or
-CDU/CSU, FDP and Greens

I was thinking the same before the election in NRW and then we got a CDU/FDP coalition.

It is not unlikely that some AfD sympathizers switch to FDP in the last second. Both parties want a "Untersuchungsausschuss" (committee of inquiry) because Merkel has opened the borders illegally in their opinion.

SilentRob

So a few days ago I stumpled upon this FDP interview and, fuck, the worst thing the AfD has done to me is making me use up all my energy on them, letting the FDP off the hook.

But now I finally know that temporary employment contracts and unpaid internships are actually great! Also, just be smart and work hard and you'll get rich! \o/ Man, fuck this party.

Oersted

Last time I checked we elect people to represent our very own interests. Although I work more than 50h a week on a regular basis and my wife's a nurse, I see now reason to vote for a party which addresses someone else's interest.

So, I'm very, very sorry that I'm a selfish brick who's going to vote for a party which I deem is more in line with my very own interests than yours.

But at the very least I'm not running around calling other people out because they have a different opinion.

Fuck you I got mine.

The downfall of every society next to apathy.

Green Yoshi

"An alliance of mostly anonymous online trolls and extremist agitators are meddling in Germany's election, but researchers say Russians aren’t to blame.

Instead, they say, right-wing groups in the United States are behind materials popping up on YouTube, messaging board sites like 4chan and reddit and texting service Gab.ai.

The evidence comes less than a week before Sunday's vote that is likely to hand German Chancellor Angela Merkel a fourth term. "

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...tion-not-russia-but-u-s-right-wing/676142001/

kingkaiser

So a few days ago I stumpled upon this FDP interview and, fuck, the worst thing the AfD has done to me is making me use up all my energy on them, letting the FDP off the hook.

But now I finally know that temporary employment contracts and unpaid internships are actually great! Also, just be smart and work hard and you'll get rich! \o/ Man, fuck this party.

Good old Graf Lambsdorff, a shining example of Europe's noble families in the tradition of Marie Antoinette.

His blunder from yesterday was even worse, though. He actually recommended single parents and people with low income to buy real estate on credit, because what could go wrong, right?

http://www.stern.de/politik/deutschland/fdp-angebot-an-alleinerziehende-frauen--kauft-euch-doch--ne-immobilie-7629924.html

EloKa

AfD keeps rising and rising in the polls.

What the fuck is wrong with everyone.

imho the moderators of the TV-Duell and SPD / FDP deserve some of the blame.
Asking almost 40 minutes only refugee related questions made it seem like the refugee crisis was worse right now than it has ever been.
Also the SPD / FDP attemps to get some last minute votes (from CDU/CSU) by aggressively putting refugees as a hot-topic and thereby only strengthen the AFD didn't help either.

Yea I really don't understand how they could rise from the dead so quickly it is not as if anything has fundamentally changed except that Herr Roessler is nowhere to be seen.
they aren't talking that much about politics which helps them a lot

It's basically this all over again, heh?

bdgZa.jpg

Look at all them poor "middleclass" simply being Entgeignet just like that.

wow thats quite some money those people are making, no? 260k for a single parent? 26k is more realistic

Gin-Shiio

The AfD scoring as high as it seemingly will shouldn't really surprise anyone. We have seen the influence the media has on election outcomes only recently in the US. I'll likely vote SPD again, but to be frank, I feel my vote wasted.

Xando

One day left here's the latest polls:

Young people:

Germany, YouGov poll:

CDU/CSU-EPP: 34%
SPD-S&D: 14%
FDP-ALDE: 13%
GRÜNE-G/EFA: 13%
LINKE-LEFT: 10%
AfD-ENF: 8%
https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/910872053154304000

Vegans:
V-Partei³-G/EFA: 32%
LINKE-LEFT: 24%
GRÜNE-G/EFA: 16%
Tiersch-LEFT: 11%
https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/910956283569860613

Emnid for Bild:

Insa for Bild:

Forsa for RTL:

The reason 1207 why you should not vote for the FDP. There is simply no lobby organization and no market player that is too disreputable for this party.

https://www.facebook.com/zigaretten...178892765064/1893932717489679/?type=3&theater

Germany is the only EU member state to still allow billboard and cinema advertisements for tobacco products. The consequences of this can be seen if one researches the most frequent causes of death in Germany.

lung cancer is just #6 with "only" 45k or 5% of all deaths
less than 25% of the population (age 16 and above) smokes anymore

KeRaSh

It's either
-CDU/CSU and SPD or
-CDU/CSU, FDP and Greens

I heard something on the radio a few weeks back where someone from the CDU said that there is a 0% chance that they will form a coalition with the Greens. Did they change their mind?

Irminsul

For people from abroad following the election, these are the important times:

1800 CEST / 1700 BST / 12 PM EDT / 9 AM PDT

Polling stations close, first exit polls are released (the important ones are by ARD and ZDF)

~1820 CEST / 1720 BST / 12:20 PM EDT / 9:20 AM PDT

First projections based on real voting data are released. This is followed up by new projections at irregular intervals throughout the evening, but there definitely will be another one at 1900 CEST.

~2000 CEST / 1800 BST / 2 PM EDT / 11 AM PDT

If it's not extremely close (obviously w.r.t. who won), it should be clear by then which coalitions are possible and which aren't. Also, this isn't just purely maths, because if the SPD loses a lot, they'd probably disagree to another coalition with the CDU even if possible.

~2200 CEST / 2000 BST / 4 PM EDT / 1 PM PDT

The preliminary end result is released; there probably won't be any changes from this point on.

man if afd gets more than 10% and they will i wonder if violence against foreigners will increase.
The AfD scoring as high as it seemingly will shouldn't really surprise anyone. We have seen the influence the media has on election outcomes only recently in the US. I'll likely vote SPD again, but to be frank, I feel my vote wasted.

it doesnt surprise me but it worries me that hate against foreigners will be a tolerable thing again.

Xater

Had cake for breakfast and then went voting. Kinda not super into my decision because I made a tactical vote. No interest in seeing any combination of CDU and FDP again.

AfD getting as high as they seemingly will be disgusts me.

Haunted

That's a question for Haunted, I only wanted to correct the numbers.

If I had to criticize their plans, my critique would aim at their financial concept. A "Vermögenssteuer" of 5% alone sounds quite ridiculous once one realizes that things like business assets and real estate are subject to it. Add to that all the other proposed increases to business taxes, and the entire things becomes a threat to mid-sized and family businesses. Yet this is by far the main component of their plan.
That's exactly it.

I speak from personal experience, my partner would be greatly affected by the proposed tax increases from Die Links - she founded a small company with now 3 employees to create something and realise her dreams, we also want to start a family in the immediate future - this makes the left ineligible for me. That's what I mean when I say that their tax increases are (also) hitting the wrong people.

So you think the AFD will change the constitution at 10% or what are we even arguing?

I was saying that peole will feel more comfortable showing their racist views openly. Theat included police officers who may choose not to intervene. Trump didnt change the constitution but white supremacy views are now no longer conceilled in the US

Xando

I was saying that peole will feel more comfortable showing their racist views openly. Theat included police officers who may choose not to intervene. Trump didnt change the constitution but white supremacy views are now no longer conceilled in the US

Seems a bit hyperbolic to compare a party at 10% to the US president.

Germany has it's 10-15% racists that spout their nonsense with or without the AFD in parliament.

Seems a bit hyperbolic to compare a party at 10% to the US president.

Germany has it's 10-15% racists that spout their nonsense with or without the AFD in parliament.

It may not be as bad as in the US, but I still feel that open racism has become more common over the last years. And I don't think it is too far-fetched thinking that it may get worse with the AFD becoming an established party.

Xando

It may not be as bad as in the US, but I still feel that open racism has become more common over the last years. And I don't think it is too far-fetched thinking that it may get worse with the AFD becoming an established party.

I don't know i feel like it's always been there but now the media focuses all of their attention on them (which is the biggest problem imo).

I don't necessarily think theres much change or more racist people just that they get more attention.

Top Bottom