• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

German Federal Elections 2017 |OT| Electing the new leader of the free world

PnCIa

I dont find it shocking that the Afd is gaining so much, sad as it is. Fearmongering is easy.

What really weirds me out is that people appearently have amnesia when it comes to the FDP. If they team up with CDU/CSU....ugghhhhh. I would rather have Groko again.

Vuze

The deed is done. Will be interesting to see how many ppl voted for AfD in my constituency. It’s really hard to estimate. Overall I expect 13-15% for the party though, just in the hope to be “positively” surprised.

giphy.gif

Tyaren

Nice. Higher turnout should be bad for AFD.

Some argue the exact opposite. It's the people who want to desperately change the status quo that are the most likely to turn up for a vote or that vote for the first time or in a long time. People supporting the status quo act ususally more complacent and often think they don't really need to vote. Look at Brexit...

Xater

I dont find it shocking that the Afd is gaining so much, sad as it is. Fearmongering is easy.

What really weirds me out is that people appearently have amnesia when it comes to the FDP. If they team up with CDU/CSU....ugghhhhh. I would rather have Groko again.

Too many young people didn't experience that combination.

Xando

Some argue the exact opposite. It's the people who want to desperately change the status quo that are the most likely to turn up for a vote or that vote for the first time or in a long time. People supporting the status quo act ususally more complacent and often think they don't really need to vote. Look at Brexit...

Brexit was decided because people couldn't be arsed to vote. There are less AFD voters than voters of the other parties. Especially in the citys (Read from Leipzig, Hamburg and München turnout is higher) higher turnout will mean lower AFD share.

ISee

Back from voting with my wife, next step is lunch at my parents and then watching the results at 18 o'clock, same procedure as every 4 years. There is even a ZDF representative in my ward this time around though, asking people politely if they want to help in gathering data. That's something new.

Why do all care so much about how many votes the AfD will get? At the end of the day it doesn't matter that much whether they get 10,12 or 14%.

I'm a father to children of color and husband to a woman with an immigration background. I care a lot about racists poisoning peoples minds and our society. It's a pretty normal thing to do, if you believe in a liberal and democratic society.

afroguy10

I'm from Scotland so I've had a pretty shit few years of elections in my opinion of course, losing the independence vote, Brexit, multiple Conservative governments led by jingoistic, bigoted MP's with a pumped up idea of Britain's place on the global stage so I just want to wish you guys good luck and hope you get the results you're looking for.

SilentRob

Thank you for supporting a joke party, while we are about to have for the first time since WW2 Nazis in the parlament.

I didn't support a joke party, I directly voted for Serdar Somuncu who's ability to instigate chance and debate I trust more than any other possible candidate. Didn't vote for PARTEI with my second vote because they have no chance to get the 5% and I want to keep the AfD from being opposition leaders, but if they did I'd absolutely consider it.

Altairre

Voted earlier today and am now on my way to help with the vote count in my city. Let's hope I don't see too many crosses for the AfD.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Better support the real joke parties like FDP.
Even the FDP isnt there only for the laughs and giggles.

I didn't support a joke party, I directly voted for Serdar Somuncu who I have more trust in instigating change and debate than any other possible candidate. Didn't vote for PARTEI with my second vote because they have no chance to get the 5%, but if they did I'd absolutely consider it.

So you supported the candidate of the joke party. Very big difference, indeed.

SilentRob

Even the FDP isnt there only for the laughs and giggles.

So you supported the candidate of the joke party. Very big difference, indeed.

If you don't understand that DIE PARTEI and Somuncu specifically do more than giggle and are actually a huge help in transparently showing political processes, instigating change (see AFD gold scandal) and calling out unjustices while others are bound to stay silent because of party lines, then I can't really help you, man.

If you further can't see the difference between voting for a Direct Candidate and a Party, I don't really see any grounds for discussion.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Wasn't sure who I'd give my first vote, then I noticed that Serdar Somuncu was a Direktkandidat in my district.

In a few years, you'll hopefully remember how you threw away your vote for a joke nobody will ever hear on the day facists and nazis were voted back into German parliament.
Well done.

Not worse then voting for them directly, but not much better either. And I like the jokes of PARTEI.

edit: you only used your first vote? Well then, that's marginally better. Very marginally. Still far from helpful.

SilentRob

edit: you only used your first vote? Well then, that's marginally better. Very marginally. Still far from helpful.

Please explain to me how the other candidates in Kreuzberg would have been better at keeping the AfD out of the Bundestag. Not talking about parties, I'm talking about the direct candidates.

KayMote

Just came back from voting. This will be an interesting evening. There's no doubt whatsoever for me that Merkel will again (mehh...), but I'm more on the edge when it comes down to the smaller parties and how that will turn out. Let's hope for the best, although I fear the outcome.

scamander

Banned
Man, the vague hope I had a few months back, the AfD would maybe not reach the 5% threshold and now they are back at double digits. -.-

SilentRob

Sooo I should have supported a Direct Candidate I do not support on the impossible chance that the Linke or Grüne got a Überhangsmandat even though that has never happened once for any other party than the Union or SPD? Even though I am convinced the candidate I voted for will be able to do more against the AfD, rally more support and be more outspoken about them than any of the other candidates?

I think I'm good.

Didn't even think of that one.

scamander

Banned
^
I'd like to vote for PDH or DU myself, but guys, please don't! Every vote for a party that will not make it to the Bundestag anyway, is actively helping the AfD. Let's advocate political change in 2021 when the AfD will hopefully fall below the 5% threshold again. This election is about stopping a populist right wing party from gaining power and securing the status quo.

is this good or bad. leipzig is afdland right?
I'm from Scotland so I've had a pretty shit few years of elections in my opinion of course, losing the independence vote, Brexit, multiple Conservative governments led by jingoistic, bigoted MP's with a pumped up idea of Britain's place on the global stage so I just want to wish you guys good luck and hope you get the results you're looking for.

afd is not openly campaigning for germanexit though only for keeping foreigners out (incl. german citizen)

if you voted directly you're in no matter what
if your party gets 3 direct votes, your party also get the regular votes counted even if sub 5%

Top Bottom