• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefront 2 Is Still Pay 2 Win

So despite some changes, it's only slightly less pay 2 win.

https://kotaku.com/star-wars-battlefront-ii-lets-you-pay-real-money-for-mu-1820333246

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=riedm8yrSKU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GynsazTkww

And from Reddit:

" Average crafting parts per crate: 51
Chance of Rare card: 17%
Chance of Uncommon: 52%

Note: with barely any playtime but buying 70+ crates, they were able to acquire and equip rare or better cards for virtually every class and had more than enough crafting parts to upgrade them all to Epic. 70 crates is about 245 hours of game time."

So spend money, skip 245hrs of play to earn same amount.

Don't support this garbage people please!

prag16

Banned
So despite some changes, it's only slightly less pay 2 win.

https://kotaku.com/star-wars-battlefront-ii-lets-you-pay-real-money-for-mu-1820333246

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=riedm8yrSKU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GynsazTkww

And from Reddit:

" Average crafting parts per crate: 51
Chance of Rare card: 17%
Chance of Uncommon: 52%

Note: with barely any playtime but buying 70+ crates, they were able to acquire and equip rare or better cards for virtually every class and had more than enough crafting parts to upgrade them all to Epic. 70 crates is about 245 hours of game time."

So spend money, skip 245hrs of play to earn same amount.

Don't support this garbage people please!

While this system isn't good, obviously, need to to correct one item. You can't upgrade cards to Epic out of the game. You need to be level 20, which supposedly take around 15 hours of multiplayer time (longer if you suck).

Again, still bad, but it's better to be accurate in the shit slinging.

Personally I was never going to dominate online anyway, and I won't have enough time to sink into it to become super awesome. So if some whales want to finance my 'season pass', eh, worse things have happened. Splitting the community via a season pass is probably worse imo.

lukhart

Neo Member
I have yet to run into any issues, so I'll still be buying it :)

They can have my money as well. Great time. :)

0562_jkkjp.gif

GlitchF5

Neo Member
Gaming as a Service. EA is clearly trying to take the mobile P2W model found on iOS and Android into the console and PC market.

It will still sell, and sell well. Arguing not to buy it is futile. This will send a message to the higher ups that this is what gamers want, and will cause a lot of conflict with newer titles in the future.

Also, let's not forget Activision for trying similar things with Call of Duty (and being successful).

This isn't new with EA though, I would like to point out that EA has been making P2W models for years with their sports games, particularly ultimate teams where card packs are opened to create players. This is just getting a lot of attention because it's Battlefront.

MiguelItUp

The fact that players from the get go have better abilities than you because they spent money does not bother you?

Until I see the outcome of said "better abilities" it's all semantics to me. Someone gaining a +5 this or +10 that doesn't mean anything to me until it clearly makes them a better and higher scoring player. I saw nothing like this in the beta, which is the only thing the majority of us played so far.

Until I see the outcome of said "better abilities" it's all semantics to me. Someone gaining a +5 this or +10 that doesn't mean anything to me until it clearly makes them a better and higher scoring player. I saw nothing like this in the beta, which is the only thing the majority of us played so far.

But.....you only played the beta....so how would you know it’s truly not a problem in the game?

I’m legit confused by some responses in this thread. The game isn’t out yet. Saying “I’ve never seen a problem” is either just flat out false or misleading. You’ve played the beta, not the full game

prag16

Banned
But.....you only played the beta....so how would you know it’s truly not a problem in the game?

I’m legit confused by some responses in this thread. The game isn’t out yet. Saying “I’ve never seen a problem” is either just flat out false or misleading. You’ve played the beta, not the full game

The 10 hour EA Access trial has been up for two days.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™

It'd probably help if you knew what you were talking about.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Ten hours is enough time to know if P2W is legit concern or not?

It would help if you were objective
Like I said, based on the beta I had no issues, and based on the 8 hours I've put into the game, I again have zero issues. But hey, whatever helps your narrative.

TransTrender

Gold Member
I remember in the Angry Joe rant about the loot cards that it would take an absolutely insane amount of time, based on the drop rates, to max out a single class. Is it still the case? I recall it was something like 1900+ hours and then in the EA Dev interview he kinda dodged the question.

You couldn't pay 2 win in the beta.

You do realize there is ability cards that can give you 40% to more than double bonuses to your characters just by having unlocked stuff with money early, while everyone else has to grind for it?

Like in the kotaku video, right from the start they unlocked a 40% faster health regen ability for their one character.

So paying 2 have an advantage is not a problem how?

Like I said, based on the beta I had no issues, and based on the 8 hours I've put into the game, I again have zero issues. But hey, whatever helps your narrative.

Beta had no microtransactions, so this is pointless argument to make.

But I mean, lets ignore all the videos, reddit articles, and others who also are playing and showing how it's a messed up system. You seem to be ok with it, doesn't make it that their isn't an underlying issue, which is that the game has pay 2 win built in.

MiguelItUp

But.....you only played the beta....so how would you know it's truly not a problem in the game?

I'm legit confused by some responses in this thread. The game isn't out yet. Saying ”I've never seen a problem" is either just flat out false or misleading. You've played the beta, not the full game

I never specified the full version of the game. I just merely said I hadn't seen an example of it in what I, or the majority, played. Which, yes, was the beta, you are correct. Everyone made a fuss about it (the crates in the beta) and continued to, which was what I was referring to. My apologies if I needed to spell it out better?

From what I gathered and read, the loot/create system remained the same (albeit maybe subtle changes) since the beta. At least that's what those that have played early access have said. But no solid examples of it ruining the experience for players (yet). Players can earn cards that statistically give them a leg up, but I haven't seen an example of anything drastically affecting their performance in gameplay.

Hope that makes more sense. I'm glad it's Friday.

I never specified the full version of the game. I just merely said I hadn't seen an example of it in what I, or the majority, played. Which, yes, was the beta, you are correct. Everyone made a fuss about it (the crates in the beta) and continued to, which was what I was referring to. My apologies if I needed to spell it out better?

From what I gathered and read, the loot/create system remained the same (albeit maybe subtle changes) since the beta. At least that's what those that have played early access have said. But no solid examples of it ruining the experience for players (yet). Players can earn cards that statistically give them a leg up, but I haven't seen an example of anything drastically affecting their performance in gameplay.

Hope that makes more sense. I'm glad it's Friday.

Two players of same skill level enter, one paid money and has higher statistics and better abilities than the other, that's a clear advantage. Bad players will always be bad, paying doesn't mean auto win hacks, the point is that people can pay money to be better than others, and when the field is level, those who paid have a statistical advantage.

They just announced a ton of free content coming and people are still mad this is "pay to win". If some dope wants to spend $100 bucks right away for content I will end up getting for free by simply playing the game then go right on ahead. Their "advantage" is being overblown, if people want to welcome the age of games costing $150-$200 bitching about this "pay to win" crap is going to bring it sooner than later. People had the same concerns about Destiny 2 and guess what it turned out to be an over reaction

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Two players of same skill level enter, one paid money and has higher statistics and better abilities than the other, that's a clear advantage. Bad players will always be bad, paying doesn't mean auto win hacks, the point is that people can pay money to be better than others, and when the field is level, those who paid have a statistical advantage.

Well its clear you won't be buying it, so i guess Yay for you.

The overreactions about Destiny 2 didn't turn out to be as nasty as so many acted like it would be, so lets allow Battlefront 2 to come out and give it some time before going on crusades to shit all over it.

I can't wait for next Friday!

BANGS

Banned
This is why I prefer multiplayer games to have no progression at all. Not only does ruin the potential for this kinda stuff, but it's not very fair to the noobs who came late to the party...

The Star Cards you have will get you sorted into matches with people of similar cards, so it really isn't fully pay-to-win after a day.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Not true at all, you still need to be good at the game to win.
I haven't played the EA Beta or whatever it's called but from the Angry Joe preview and interview with EA it didn't matter if you were the best or worse player in the game you got the same amount of spacebucks and EA didn't say anything was fixed after the fact.

I haven't played the EA Beta or whatever it's called but from the Angry Joe preview and interview with EA it didn't matter if you were the best or worse player in the game you got the same amount of spacebucks and EA didn't say anything was fixed after the fact.

This is true but he was saying you still needed to be good to win.

Also good players will be able to complete the challenges faster and earn more credits. Im not defending the system as I dont like it much but there are some mitigating factors that some people have glossed over.

I want to play this, but i'm waiting for EA Access on this one.

If they want to design it like a F2P game, then i'll treat it like one.

Halabane

I have yet to run into any issues, so I'll still be buying it :)

They can have my money as well. Great time. :)

These guys will spend the 90 bucks (as videos have shown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GynsazTkww)...get way ahead and then farm those who just pay the 60. Most of you won't catch up (I know some of you are good so I won't say all). It's like the 1 percent of rich folks in life but for gaming.

I don't have any problem with someone better, someone who spends an incredible amount of time in the game or someone who teams with others and the 'gets good'. But any "way shape or form" of having a path of buying your way to get a jump on others? Thats cell phone game BS and why I don't bother with that. Its fine. There are lots of things to do this year. I can't support this behavior, though I realize that there will be a lot of kids and folks who don't know who will buy this and these type of people will just have fun feeding on them. EA was the worst company to work for, now they are expanding their BS to the rest of the community. Its like a cancer. If you don't cut it out now then bad things will happen. The whole place will look like cell phone games...won't that be nice? (fuck I am feel like I am sounding like Sterling...crap)

gatti-man

I️ really hate this system but I️ preordered digitally on psn before I️ knew how bad this system was on the announcement of free DLC. I’m conflicted. I️ hate this shit but I️ really like Star Wars and already paid for it :|

TransTrender

Gold Member
This is true but he was saying you still needed to be good to win.

Also good players will be able to complete the challenges faster and earn more credits. Im not defending the system as I dont like it much but there are some mitigating factors that some people have glossed over.

Sure, I haven't played the game so I'm not certain how this works, but are they like match based challenges kinda like BattleField BC2 had (last EA multiplayer game I played) where being good actually meant more EXP and stuff or are they just one and done? Reasoning is how many more EA SpaceBux can you get by 'being gud' if it's one time only or something you can do every match that materially accumulates over time.

Sure, I haven't played the game so I'm not certain how this works, but are they like match based challenges kinda like BattleField BC2 had (last EA multiplayer game I played) where being good actually meant more EXP and stuff or are they just one and done? Reasoning is how many more EA SpaceBux can you get by 'being gud' if it's one time only or something you can do every match that materially accumulates over time.

Im not sure if any specifics have come out but I would imagine that they are similar to the ones in Battlefront 2015. Examples of the challenges were:

-Get X amount of kills with X weapon
-Use a star card X amount of times
-Get X amount of kills with X vehicle
-Destroy X number of vehicles

Etc.

In Battlefront 1 these gave you more credits that you use to buy weapons, star cards, customization options and I would guess that they will probably work the same in BF2 but for loot crates (someone correct me if this is not the case as I do not have EA access). I mean, someone who has unlocked a bunch of weapon perks that do 20% more damage might have a leg up on completing these but a shitty player will still have a hard time getting these done regardless of the extra damage they might do.

Boss Mog

I'll give them 15 bucks for the ultimate edition with all DLC like I did for the first one, but that's about it. The game is way too casual to merit parting with any significant amount of money.

And to think these assholes just bought the makers of Titanfall... there goes another franchise down the EA toilet. Need for speed just caused a clog too in the EA shitter.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
The fact that players from the get go have better abilities than you because they spent money does not bother you?
I don't think there's ever been an MP game where there hasn't been plenty of players better than me from the get go and they didn't have to spend a dime to get there! I'm one of those mediocre sods that has average hand-eye coordination and trigger reflexes, born without preternatural peripheral awareness, who doesn't generally seem to have the fickle graces of lag on my side more often than not.

In other words, It's hardly as if the playing field has ever truly been level before this so I don't see much of a change in allowing people to pay for advantages. At least half the players out there will still likely be significantly better than me to dole out plenty of demoralizing defeats regardless. If anything it would make me feel better to know that the guy who keeps mopping the field with my remains at least had to pay out the nose for the win.

Good for them. Even if loot crates weren't a factor I wouldn't be playing the game with any delusions of grandeur, that I'm somehow going to be the Ultimate Champion, certainly not with the time I have to allot to gameplaying these days.

I won't be paying for loot crates and I don't see any reason to boycott the entire game over them. I fully expect to have as much fun with BF2 as I did BF1 for the same asking price, given the fact that there's more content, a more robust single-player component, and a host of gameplay improvements, which aren't undermined by the fact that my personal MP performance won't be any better than it was while playing the first one, or just about any other MP game I touch.

If you were going into this expecting to absolutely dominate the rankings/leaderboards, I guess I could see the consternation over purchasing loot crates and how that changes the dynamic, but that realistically only impacts a very small percentage of players in a meaningful fashion. A lot of us just don't play well enough for it to matter (sorry, all).

Top Bottom