• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twisted Metal Demo Impressions

Angry Fork

As if a creator to a game is going to say otherwise.

Jaffe is the most honest dev around, he says whatever he wants why would he lie, and why in the world would he WANT his game to be unplayable at launch?

You're not making any sense and just being a dick for no reason. They're working hard to fix it Jaffe and the QA testers aren't the ones who can fix it so they're busy doing other stuff to promote the game. Just chill and keep trying to get online, try out the game in training and see how it is. This isn't some huge epidemic it's a demo problem which almost every other demo/'beta' has these days anyway. Shit happens.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
So, I uploaded a few pics from the San Fran event and the swag I got. A few of the items like the TM and TM2 standee I've collected previously =)

I got the Twisted Metal standee signed, as well as the cover of my TM1 and the inside jacket of TM2. The artwork was hung around on the walls of the event; I got to pick one out for coming in 3rd in the tournament. The TM stand with the Sweet Tooth mask was what people got for winning their qualifying round to get into the tournament finals. Everyone got a bag and bumper sticker for showing up. And the table is really fucking cool - I thought they'd applied a sticker to it, but the words and Sweet Tooth face are actually carved into it by removing the surface of the table in those areas.

I also won a raffle for a free copy of Twisted Metal that they're sending me before the 14th which is badass. I felt bad when I told the PR guy they lost a pre-order by giving me a copy... I had a great time though and would really like to see the new game succeed, so instead I'll keep my pre-order and do some sort of giveaway here on GAF. Not really sure how to handle it yet; I'd love to give it to someone who isn't already a Twisted Metal fan and is interested in trying it out but doesn't have the means to get it for themselves at launch... dunno, I'll figure something out. With the news of the customizable skins, maybe some sort of art contest for making a GAF themed livery? I'm not sure if you already have to own the game to create those.

Anyway, awesome event! Lots of respect to the guy I met who flew out from Texas just to attend.

oA2wW.jpg

rglg0.jpg

c6iwX.jpg

aeQKw.jpg

lA4Vz.jpg

No I get that and I may have been to harsh on him and co., just really frustrated that I cannot get online to actually try the meat of the game. MATCHMAKING ERROR is my nightmare.

ElRenoRaven

So, I uploaded a few pics from the San Fran event and the swag I got. A few of the items like the TM and TM2 standee I've collected previously =)

I got the Twisted Metal standee signed, as well as the cover of my TM1 and the inside jacket of TM2. The artwork was hung around on the walls of the event; I got to pick one out for coming in 3rd in the tournament. The TM stand with the Sweet Tooth mask was what people got for winning their qualifying round to get into the tournament finals. Everyone got a bag and bumper sticker for showing up. And the table is really fucking cool - I thought they'd applied a sticker to it, but the words and Sweet Tooth face are actually carved into it by removing the surface of the table in those areas.

I also won a raffle for a free copy of Twisted Metal that they're sending me before the 14th which is badass. I felt bad when I told the PR guy they lost a pre-order by giving me a copy... I had a great time though and would really like to see the new game succeed, so instead I'll keep my pre-order and do some sort of giveaway here on GAF. Not really sure how to handle it yet; I'd love to give it to someone who isn't already a Twisted Metal fan and is interested in trying it out but doesn't have the means to get it for themselves at launch... dunno, I'll figure something out. With the news of the customizable skins, maybe some sort of art contest for making a GAF themed livery? I'm not sure if you already have to own the game to create those.

Anyway, awesome event! Lots of respect to the guy I met who flew out from Texas just to attend.

http://i.imgur.com/oA2wW.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/rglg0.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/c6iwX.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/aeQKw.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/lA4Vz.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

That's some damn cool shit there.

Are you kidding me!? What does Ryan Clements do at IGN if this is his first time playing the game. The demo came out Tuesday you would think before doing a live event they have been pimping for a week he would familiarize himself a little bit.

Wow...IGN...wow

EDIT: Did I hear it right that Ryan Clements is the reviewer of this for IGN?

c6iwX.jpg

aeQKw.jpg

That's awesome....especially the TM1 longbox. I loved the PS1 long boxes.

Anyway, just played some more Nuke. It's fun as hell, though I'm much better on defense than offense. Probably the first online mode of a game that didn't send me running to the hills. I'm coming more and more to grips with the controls too, just needs practice. And I'm not sure why some people rag on the graphics, I think it looks great for all the shit going on.

Triz

Vilam, were you the guy that pulled out that Twisted Metal big box out of the ziplock that I told you was fucking hardcore, when we were waiting for Jaffe to sign our shit? If so nice to meet a fellow gaffer. You have quite the Twisted Metal collection going cool shit.

ElRenoRaven

Update from David on twitter about issues.

Twisted Metal demo update direct fromR Sony producer:Matchmaking issues not fully addressed but fail rate is down to 50%.Player counts have doubled since yesterday.'Teams working on weekend2fix so ideally game willBat 0%fail rate soon. Thx again4being patient with us-means lots.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Vilam, were you the guy that pulled out that Twisted Metal big box out of the ziplock that I told you was fucking hardcore, when we were waiting for Jaffe to sign our shit? If so nice to meet a fellow gaffer. You have quite the Twisted Metal collection going cool shit.

Hrmm... I had all my stuff in a laptop style over the shoulder bag. I think I saw the guy you were talking about though, he had his TM1 longbox, TM Black, and a few other TM games all inside a zip lock bag. No doubt we bumped into each other at some point during the event though; it was cool being around a ton of like-minded people, hah.

So in regards to the censorship has anyone hear whether the Australian version will be censored? The game was classified MA15+ without cuts in Australia but it's been delayed the same as the euro version... It'd be pretty annoying if we had to deal with the same shit as the europeans...

rdrr gnr

Are you kidding me!? What does Ryan Clements do at IGN if this is his first time playing the game. The demo came out Tuesday you would think before doing a live event they have been pimping for a week he would familiarize himself a little bit.

Wow...IGN...wow

Yeah. He was absolutely awful during that livestream. There weren't enough androgynous, doe-eyed, terribly voice-acted characters for his liking. Who knows how that review will go.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Tried the demo. It was OK I guess, for those into car combat games. Not something I'd personally ever spend money on though, and it's gonna bomb in Europe anyway.

I wasn't expecting to find the demo as fun as I did, I'm horrendous at it but it looks like it could prove to be pretty darn good. The game has a really nice feel.

prwxv3

I just went 32/10 in one nuke game with the reaper and won the match. I swear the talon players were madder then hell.

IllumiNate

Sorry I skimmed a few pages but didnt see anything. I'm sure this has been brought up, but is anyone else having problems with headphones and this game? I did a google search and it's not just my Turtle Beaches that will not produce sound for this game but someone elses Tritton's. Are they aware, is there a fix?

Tendo

Me and a buddy were bored and downloaded the demo on a whim. We are both horrible, but dang is this game incredible! It is going to be a tough choice between this and SSX... (Not really, I know I will cave and get both.) Great controls, soundtrack, etc.

I really dug how everything felt chaotic but like I was always in control of the situation.

KuroNeeko

For the OT, I've seen some pretty good quotes, but I think the last thing Jaffe would want is to make the new TM all about him (or him liking the MJ.) I'm sure he played a huge part in bringing us the game and is working tirelessly to promote it but he has always been about praising the team and Sony.

I suggest that we keep the OT title about the game itself or Eat Sleep Play. I like the Don't Eat, Don't Sleep, Play one for example.

Just got 1.5 GB back to my hard drive. I could never
get into an online game and with the retail release having an online pass, not being able to try online, not buying it at all.

Instead of doing live streams on questions Jaffe, maybe you guys should have tried fixing the demo?

Good then. Vote with your wallet. He's said repeatedly though that it's a problem on Sony's end and that they're trying to fix it. If you're giving up on the game already, chances are that it's not for you. Then again, you could always just keep an eye on it and come back to it later when it is fixed.

Me and a buddy were bored and downloaded the demo on a whim. We are both horrible, but dang is this game incredible! It is going to be a tough choice between this and SSX... (Not really, I know I will cave and get both.) Great controls, soundtrack, etc.

I really dug how everything felt chaotic but like I was always in control of the situation.

Yeah, the new SSX looks better than I thought it would be. But I pre-ordered TM because I've been waiting longer for a new TM than I have SSX. But I'll get SSX eventually.

Rattles

Fuck got home got into a death match straight away but eventually died out, decided its time for a drunken twisted metal night and now i can't get into a fucking match! horse shit I say!

Woot in!!

wcw

Neo Member
Just got 1.5 GB back to my hard drive. I could never get into an online game and with the retail release having an online pass, not being able to try online, not buying it at all.

Instead of doing live streams on questions Jaffe, maybe you guys should have tried fixing the demo?

To be fair its not Jaffe that would be fixing the issues with the demo. Its Sony Santa Monica's IT and Networking guys that are doing it. They also schedule these promotional events way in advance you can't just cancel them.

All in all considering that there wasn't a beta for this game. Its good that they are getting the kinks worked out during the online demo rather then the full game.

Duffyside

Banned
Just tried it for the first time. Had zero technical issues.

It was loads of fun. I don't get the complaints about the controls being a bit too much to take in, though the game itself is, especially the UI; icons, pickups, even game rules, all that jazz. I played Nuke, as I gravitate towards games that are longer and are objective-based. I didn't feel incredibly useful to my team though as it was hard to grasp what I was supposed to be doing and where I was supposed to be going. And I'm still not sure what the health pickup looks like, haha.

My one other complaint is how difficult it was to kill an enemy if they decided to just sit still. This may be all on me, and I need to pick a different control scheme (used default), but when they came to a halt I felt I would have to do the same. And more than once we would come face-to-face and just unload on each other, which was sort of dumb and against how the game is really designed. I was having the most fun moving fast, spinning around quickly, jumping off ramps, all that fun stuff. Wish if someone came to a stop they would take three times damage or something. Heh, maybe they do. I only played one game.

But yeah, it's loads of fun. Some people (not I) were wondering if this type of game would work in this modern day. As someone who was never drawn into the old Twisted games, this one caught my eye the day it was announced at E3. Movement in games is KEY; it has to be fast and responsive and fun, and boy is it. This isn't another online multiplayer game where you can basically predict how the avatar will move, and even how the camera will move, to the point where if they don't react that way one will call the controls "broken" because it's not the same old stuff. Good on Eat Sleep Play for both bringing back and modernizing a genre from the past, and making it feel so fresh.

Twisted Metal |OT| Puff, puff give ...with a power rocket.

Anyway, where are the pedestrians and traffic? Lots of people still talking about the ganging up in Challenge mode. I don't recall the AI not attacking themselves in previous games. Could it just be the difficulty is so high that they arent behaving that way?

Helscream

Banned
Sorry I skimmed a few pages but didnt see anything. I'm sure this has been brought up, but is anyone else having problems with headphones and this game? I did a google search and it's not just my Turtle Beaches that will not produce sound for this game but someone elses Tritton's. Are they aware, is there a fix?

Well I am using the PS3 Wireless Stereo Headset and the volume seems to be low for me. I have all volume settings at the max. My volume on my headset is at maxium. Always my voice/sound knob is turned all the way up in the direction of sound. Hopefully this is just one of the shortcomings of the demo.

But yes, I have also noticed the sound when using headphones for the game is really low. Stuff like the surround sound seems accurate and nice. But its the "VOLUME" that is the problem. But I really have not seen anyone else mention this so perhaps it is a isolated issue.

EDIT:

Wow...IGN...wow

Well that is what was said in the live stream. I don't know what the standard is when it comes to gaming journalism, but I am baffled if he is the guy who is actually reviewing the game.

rdrr gnr

Well said, Duffy.

Health packs appear as white crosses with a blue surrounding. When in the vicinity of one, a small little cross icon will appear on your minimap.

The health is structured as to allow for minute-long encounters. As far as minimizing time-to-kill, I'd suggest loading up on homing missiles and your special before going in for the kill.

I try to have 4 homing missiles before approaching someone with max health.

thcsquad

Second place in my first Deathmatch. Pretty damn awesome. I've never played a car combat game, nor any game with such an involved control set (pretty much every button on the controllers is used...a lot), but just two games hooked me.

It helped that I saw zero of the matchmaking issues that others have. I literally went into the online menu, and immediately heard some idiots talking. Game started in twenty seconds. It was literally the quickest multiplayer experience I've ever had. I must be *really* lucky.

Mikey Jr.

I have been able to get into 3 games so far of online.

The problem is that the lobby never fills up. So it stays at like 3 people, and those 2 people filter in and out so it never starts up. Anyone have this problem?

OMG YES YES YES! I really want the game but don't think I'll be able to put $60 down on it since I've been out of a job for a while. A livery design contest would be awesome. :D

The problem is that the lobby never fills up. So it stays at like 3 people, and those 2 people filter in and out so it never starts up. Anyone have this problem?

That happened to me many times tonight. I was so disappointed because the prior 2 nights, I could never even connect to the server, and then tonight when I actually got into some lobbies, 3/4 in one case, and we never got a 4th player, after 5-10 minutes of waiting, everyone left. It sucked. Got into two other rooms and they never got passed 2/4.

I need to play more of it but the default controls are questionable. Can anyone explain to me why in the year 2012 we are still treated like children unable to map our own control scheme? Not just this game but all games in general. Why don't they allow it?

Rattles

I need to play more of it but the default controls are questionable. Can anyone explain to me why in the year 2012 we are still treated like children unable to map our own control scheme? Not just this game but all games in general. Why don't they allow it?

I have no problem with the classic controls but yea. I also don't get why devs don't let map our buttons. It stops people from bitching so why the fuck not? Are they afraid players might find a better setup than they could ever imagine or something...

wcw

Neo Member

I haven't had a match with more then 6 or 7 people. I can get into games in my first two or three tries, but they don't populate the game fully for whatever reason. Hope they get it back tomorrow.

Helscream

Banned
BTW, I vaguely remember Jaffe saying they would extend the time of the demo because of the online issues. Can anyone confirm that?

Yes Jaffe did mention that Sony suggested the idea of extending the demo. He said that Sony was going to ''drop support'' for the Demo on the 8th of February. But Sony has considered extending the Demo beyond that because of the match making problems people have experienced. The only thing we don't know is exactly how long it will be extended.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Had an immediate bad time with the demo due to the controls, which just felt extremely obtuse. Tried it again later and swapped to the racing controls and liked it a lot more, but the online crashed my PS3 and that's definitely going to keep me away until they really fix all the issues.

As a demo I think it's pretty poor aside from the MP which I can't judge, giving people nothing but that challenge mode and a super basic control tutorial doesn't really tell me much. The challenge mode is stupid and for a first time player, getting ganged up on by AI isn't a very good way to convince me to try the game. Hope they hammer the MP stuff soon so I can try what the game is likely made for.

wcw

Neo Member
Had an immediate bad time with the demo due to the controls, which just felt extremely obtuse. Tried it again later and swapped to the racing controls and liked it a lot more, but the online crashed my PS3 and that's definitely going to keep me away until they really fix all the issues.

As a demo I think it's pretty poor aside from the MP which I can't judge, giving people nothing but that challenge mode and a super basic control tutorial doesn't really tell me much. The challenge mode is stupid and for a first time player, getting ganged up on by AI isn't a very good way to convince me to try the game. Hope they hammer the MP stuff soon so I can try what the game is likely made for.

Twisted Metal has always been a rough game for single player esp considering that in the demo you can't adjust the difficulty. Trust me play the online death match it really shows you what the game is about. If you play a few matches online (After you get use to the controls) then I think you can get a grasp of wither or not you will like the game. Human players play much more natural then the computer.

Duffyside

Banned
Well said, Duffy.

Health packs appear as white crosses with a blue surrounding. When in the vicinity of one, a small little cross icon will appear on your minimap.

The health is structured as to allow for minute-long encounters. As far as minimizing time-to-kill, I'd suggest loading up on homing missiles and your special before going in for the kill.

I try to have 4 homing missiles before approaching someone with max health.

Thanks, Mike.

Yeah, I'm sure I'll get used to things the more I play. Just my immediate impressions were that the powerups and things should stand out more in some way. I actually don't dislike the length of time it takes to get a kill, just how long it takes to get a kill when someone goes stationary.

what do u mean super basic control tutorial? how else would u want it? it tells you exactly what maneuvers u can do with which buttons.

play the challenge mode a few times and get used to the controls, u should have no problem keeping up, and even getting first place in the challenge mode. Pick the outlaw vehicle(the police car), its a good choice for beginners.

I honestly have no idea how the game performs so well over the network considering the insane speed and near-constant destruction. ESP are gods at networking. Online literally feels like local...In six 10 minute death match games, I didn't feel cheated by lag once like I do every game in CoD, Gears, and pretty much every other shooter.

rdrr gnr

I have to say that my experience so far has been that the team ares incredibly imbalanced. We are either getting dominated into submission or winning by a huge margin. I'm still enjoying it even when I'm losing, but I do intend to play with some GAFfers in the coming weeks. There's no steamroll like a GAF-steamroll.

RagnarokX

I have to say that my experience so far has been that the team ares incredibly imbalanced. We are either getting dominated into submission or winning by a huge margin. I'm still enjoying it even when I'm losing, but I intend to play with some GAFfers in the coming weeks.

The game will become more balanced once we can make teams, and then you'll think Talons are awesome when I'm on your team :p

boosh5

Banned
Played a few more rounds online tonight. The feel of it is beginning to click for me now. Had a hard time playing Nuke though. The other team seemed to be nearly all Talons. The lack of inverted controls continues to screw with me. I'm not sure what's going on with that either. Looks like you can invert flight and turret control (not sure what turrets it's talking about) and choose between two free look modes, but none of them seem to affect the actual aiming controls in the car.

Played a few more rounds online tonight. The feel of it is beginning to click for me now. Had a hard time playing Nuke though. The other team seemed to be nearly all Talons. The lack of inverted controls continues to screw with me. I'm not sure what's going on with that either. Looks like you can invert flight and turret control (not sure what turrets it's talking about) and choose between two free look modes, but none of them seem to affect the actual aiming controls in the car.

Can't a team only deploy three Talons per game in Nuke?

Top Bottom