• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twisted Metal Demo Impressions

TeTr1C

Was finally able to get into a few online rounds of deathmatch. Got third twice and made it to first.

Maaan this game is a lot of fun now that I have the controls down (using classic). I love how you can quickly get out of firefights now with the quick boost.

I'll be getting this on release day for sure.

JAFFE, YOU RULE.

Played a match online and I am fucking sold so goddamn hard. Games like Warhawk, Starhawk, Uncharted, Assassin's Creed and Twisted Metal are much better MP games than the narrow vision, camera and gun on a stick fps games. Fucking A, man. I want to bomb Activision headquarters or something for taking would be gamers away from unique titles like this. Why am I so crazy right now? I just loved my experience with this demo more than I have with any fps game.

I'm not going to blow up anything other than fellow TMers come launch day

Maybe that's another thing the EU version has changed, and both the EU and US demo are based on the EU code it seems.

The meat wagon is also using the EU variant of the gurney rocket.

Head asplodes only when you are 3/4 full. I did it to an AFK enemy. Lulz.

So yeah, this game definitely became day one for me. Always a Twisted Metal fan, since playing #3 on PS2 (...yeah, never had a PSOne and I know #3 is hated) but wasn't sure if I wanted to drop $70 Canadian Buckaroos on the game after getting my wallet battered from Xmas

So, I did some awesome stuff today:

Teammate was working on breaking the protected health on top of the parking lot. I was watching as Talon, swooped in and took his health pack. So, I felt bad, used my special to pick up my own teammate, and delivered him to the health pack at the church. Awesome teamwork moment right there.

I love the frenzy when you see 5 cars drifting and killing near the launch terminal.

Once, I was Darkside and was catching my fat ass up to two speedy enemies trying to take out a teammate who has preparing a launch sacrifice. I rammed 'em both but I think my teammate died. It was hard to keep up with them, but my teammate ran into the grocery store for health, enemy followed in, and I waited outside.... As soon as I saw my teammate speed out I rammed the enemy chasing him and killed him XD

Anywho, I am tired of the map and want to play moar!

I wonder if we can see more creative modes come as DLC, Nuke is by far the best, but Hunted sounds real fun too. Wonder if they can do a Race-type mode where the Hunted player has to collect tokens around the map to keep things fast paced, instead of having the hunted hug a corner.

Can't wait to play this in split-screen

Talons are really annoying.

I would have agreed yesterday, I hate those guys, but it's mostly due to the fact that free looking is a bit wonky. I can only move vertically or horizontally, but not together. However, now, I just freeze them, bash the sh*t out of them, and spam my special. Easily takes care of bad Talon players, but the good ones I think may lead to some frustration. I played as Talon and could easily duck and weave around. They are good at capping leaders, but due to their health require teamwork to launch successfully without dying.

OT: MuseMan, I swear I've seen your tag on Youtube, N4G, muselive forums, and maybe even Gamespot, and now here. Wth lol

so whats everyones favorite vehicles so far? who tears it up?

i'm favoring the meat wagon as of now...

when you get a remote bomb stuck to you is there anyway to shake it off?

edit - playing right now and i was about to run over a driver and he ran through a wall and i couldnt get him! get on that please jaffenator ;-)

Angry Fork

Great demo. It has almost sold it to me.

How do you take down helicopters if you are on the ground?

Freeze them and they drop then you can hit them with missiles and shit. Only trouble is getting the reticule on them to begin with from the ground. The lack of free-aim is tough in this case.

I'd really like it if they could include a post-match "Top Accolades" screen, highlighting the MVP, most kills, highest killstreak player, etc.

AwShucks

I've barely tried anyone other than Mr Grimm. Always been my favorite, don't see a reason to change just yet. I'm sure I'll try out the others at launch, but for now I'll stick with him.

edit - playing right now and i was about to run over a driver and he ran through a wall and i couldnt get him! get on that please jaffenator ;-)

Yes, ram yourself

rdrr gnr

I would have agreed yesterday, I hate those guys, but it's mostly due to the fact that free looking is a bit wonky. I can only move vertically or horizontally, but not together. However, now, I just freeze them, bash the sh*t out of them, and spam my special. Easily takes care of bad Talon players, but the good ones I think may lead to some frustration. I played as Talon and could easily duck and weave around. They are good at capping leaders, but due to their health require teamwork to launch successfully without dying.
I agree. It's the good Talon players that get me. I use that charge-homing missile to scare them off, but a good Talon player will wait until an opponent is damaged and just pester him into death.

OT: MuseMan, I swear I've seen your tag on Youtube, N4G, muselive forums, and maybe even Gamespot, and now here. Wth lol
Lol! It's like you just called out my bookmarks. Just don't tell me you know where I live! This is my handle pretty much everywhere. I used to frequent GS and N4G, but now I'm basically GAF-only. Nice to meet an admirer of mine. ;-)

RagnarokX

I agree. It's the good Talon players that get me. I use that charge-homing missile to scare them off, but a good Talon player will wait until an opponent is damaged and just pester him into death.
Nah, you don't get as many points if you just steal kills. I like to snipe full health players, usually other Talons since they usually fly around where they can't get to cover. Also build up 3 specials and then find a group of players and kill them all with the tri-gunner.

Nah, you don't get as many points if you just steal kills. I like to snipe full health players, usually other Talons since they usually fly around where they can't get to cover. Also build up 3 specials and then find a group of players and kill them all with the tri-gunner.

This is where the teamwork comes in, both teams need to have dedicated Talon players so those pests can cancel each other out. I hate being the only one dealing with the Talons.

Also, does anyone else feel the same way about free look? I feel like it needs to be freer.

Beginning the IGN stream, why can't they ever find someone who plays the damn games they demo?

I was watching Gamespot's stream and noticed that you can change vehicles mid-game through a garage, not sure if anyone else knows that.

Beginning the IGN stream, why can't they ever find someone who plays the damn games they demo?

I was watching Gamespot's stream and noticed that you can change vehicles mid-game through a garage, not sure if anyone else knows that.

if you dnt want to watch, you can check around page 31. that is when the stram was going on and people were documenting the important notes. the garage change was mentioned. you can do it 3 times in SP in a level. i think you have 1 llife shared though.

RagnarokX

if you dnt want to watch, you can check around page 31. that is when the stram was going on and people were documenting the important notes. the garage change was mentioned. you can do it 3 times in SP in a level. i think you have 1 llife shared though.

You can put cars in the garage to regenerate and take them back out later if you need/want to. If you die once you lose.

Holy shit, guess my complaint might have been heard. Watching the IGN stream and Jaffe acknowledged that not every 3rd-party controller has Sixaxis for the turbo ram. Good shit.

RagnarokX

There's like 8 or 10 original maps, rest are cut ups, though he said they are designed with cut ups in mind, so it's wont be crap

8. They're all listed on the official site. One of the submaps of Sunsprings, CA that Jaffe mentioned today is set entirely inside the movie theater. That map is going to be crazy.

I hope there is a map entirely inside the haunted house.

Diablo Pass sounds like an interesting map:

Destroy the following:

Overpasses
Suspension bridge
Gas stations
Buildings in Mid-Point Town and Las Vegas

Just got 1.5 GB back to my hard drive. I could never get into an online game and with the retail release having an online pass, not being able to try online, not buying it at all.

Instead of doing live streams on questions Jaffe, maybe you guys should have tried fixing the demo?

BHK3

Banned
Just got 1.5 GB back to my hard drive. I could never get into an online game and with the retail release having an online pass, not being able to try online, not buying it at all.

Instead of doing live streams on questions Jaffe, maybe you guys should have tried fixing the demo?
He said a hundred times that they're working on it and are extending the demo because of it. They also said a hundred times that the retail game will not be this way.

Valnen

Your loss.

8. They're all listed on the official site. One of the submaps of Sunsprings, CA that Jaffe mentioned today is set entirely inside the movie theater. That map is going to be crazy.

I hope there is a map entirely inside the haunted house.

Diablo Pass sounds like an interesting map:

Destroy the following:

Overpasses
Suspension bridge
Gas stations
Buildings in Mid-Point Town and Las Vegas

Wow. I'm looking at the maps, and I have to say, for a game so oldschool and for a genre associated as outdated 1990s gameplay, the maps are very creative and the presentation value both in music, thematics, and gameplay depth is incredible. Serious kudos to the map designs, they are very imaginative I cannot believe how polished everything looks, and the custom skinning is f'ing awesome. The game has been too modestly covered, but perhaps I'm just overexcited.

I will continue to miss the other CHARACTERS though, I just can't help but feel annoyed seeing Sweet Tooth in Axel. Really hope Jaffe considers skins for DLC. I know it's minor, but it makes a world of difference to me

Jaffe isn't the only one making the game, the players playing the stream are QA testers. Why so bitter?

Hulud

Watching the IGN stream. Love how Jaffe namedrops Neogaf in practically every interview he does. Was so delicious seeing IGN hosts awkwardly giggle when he called us out.

ElRenoRaven

Your loss.

That's how I look at it. You want to ignore that it's been revealed to be on Sony's end so be it. You want to ignore that they're planning to extend it due to the issue then so be it. You want to ignore videos of the retail being played without issue then so be it. That's your loss.

elohel

seems to be working now try it again wasnt goin for me either after a billion tries and on the first one it worked

Top Bottom