• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man 2 level select screen recreated as 5 x 5 foot Lego mural

loosus

Banned
Not a Mega Man fan, but that does look cool. I'd kill for something similar of Super Mario Bros., like the beginning of World 1-1 where you get the first mushroom.

Neki

asa said:
Quick Ebay price check gives these 1x1 blocks price of roughly around 4cents..

0,04 x 37000 = 1470$ + work and planning

Not a bad price considering the end result. I would build something similar if I could get my hands on some super cheap legos.

A bit pricey for my blood, lol. If I could find some super cheap lego I'd totally try it though.

soultron

Banned
LEGO? Really? Dude... you need to tell your friend to redo it.

This time with the power of
Mega_Bloks_Logo.jpg

That's really cool and I want it.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
The anal retentive side of me must know if the LEGO logo on top of each of those studs is aligned in the proper direction.

Personally, it would drive me absolutely buggy if one of the logos was on its side or upside down.

eshwaaz

Whimsical Phil said:
The anal retentive side of me must know if the LEGO logo on top of each of those studs is aligned in the proper direction.

Personally, it would drive me absolutely buggy if one of the logos was on its side or upside down.

His answer:

"Sadly no – but this totally crossed my mind while I was working on it. Early on I considered re-doing a plate or two before I got too much farther. I just couldn’t stomach the time already lost and future time devoted to orientating each piece as I put ‘em in. But believe me, those macro shots of the lego logos all facing the same way woulda been sweeeeeet."

jiien

Whimsical Phil said:

I was thinking the exact same thing. Shame they aren't :(

bumpkin

I'd imagine if one were venturing to do something like this, there surely must be a way to get a bulk rate on the pieces through LEGO somehow. Those guys love any sort of PR they can get for their product.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
eshwaaz said:
His answer:

"Sadly no – but this totally crossed my mind while I was working on it. Early on I considered re-doing a plate or two before I got too much farther. I just couldn’t stomach the time already lost and future time devoted to orientating each piece as I put ‘em in. But believe me, those macro shots of the lego logos all facing the same way woulda been sweeeeeet."
That's a shame. If he didn't think of it until a ways into the project, though, I can (sorta) understand his decision not to start over.

A while ago, I did a couple of LEGO mosaic portraits of my wife and myself (certainly not at this scale, of course...they're 44 x 44 each), and I was compelled to make sure the logos were all facing the same way.

My twitchiness aside, this is still a pretty amazing project. Do you know if he glued the pieces down?

Slermy

Awesome piece!

Confidence Man said:
I'd be impressed if it were built from the bottom up snapping the pieces together.

But then you'd have to deal with the weird proportions of Lego when viewed from the side.

Awesome work, would like to do the same but not in the same proportion.
Where can you find these lego parts on ebay with a single colour?
I have looked in the past and at most ive found mixed stuff, than spesific ones.

Browsing all things LEGO because I have the bug atm, but wanted to give this thread a bump and remind everyone just how fucking awesome this is. I'd pay good money to have this on my wall at home.

Seriously impressive, and pixel perfect for all us anal beads out there.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Whys it always MM2 >.> an why could I never make anything even close to awesome when I had legos >.<? Looks super cool and mindblowing he could get it so perfect looking!

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Seeing this mural makes me wonder how difficult would be building the character select screen from Street Fighter 2...

antonlev

Quick Ebay price check gives these 1x1 blocks price of roughly around 4cents..

0,04 x 37000 = 1470$ + work and planning

Not a bad price considering the end result. I would build something similar if I could get my hands on some super cheap legos.

You can get many 1x1 bricks for 1 cent each on bricklink

If a lot of you guys start doing this though, I bet the prices will go up

You can get many 1x1 bricks for 1 cent each on bricklink

If a lot of you guys start doing this though, I bet the prices will go up

and directly from lego is $0.10 a 1x1 brick (http://shop.lego.com/en-CA/Pick-A-Brick-ByTheme) meaning it cost $3,700 +time and planning.

I'm not a fan of megaman either but I think the look is amazing! I'm trying to think of games I'd want to do and hang on the wall of my future finished basement.
Kudo's for doing this OP, give us more details on cost and if you glued the pieces down to prevent vandals but allow for rearranging later on down the line.

I bet you could use 1x2, 1x4, 1x6, 2x2, 2x4, 2x6, 2x8... but the look up close wouldn't be the same.

godnorazi

Banned
i would be so nervous around that. what if you accidently hit it and it all falls apart :[

usually if you smash a large lego structure, it breaks into a few large chunks, not into every individual piece... it shouldnt be hard to put back together

Top Bottom