• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 5 (Platform Unknown), Ace Attorney 123HD (iOS) announced

With how wii U works... I can imagine the controller just being the button screen aka 1 big ass button with 2 small buttons on top left right.

But man, it might just be my expectations, but if this game came out on consoles, i'd expect VA.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Hell, it's a GBA game

Who says that V has to be exactly the same as the first 3-4 titles ? They waited so long with the next installment, i wouldnt be surprised if they would shake up game the gameplay in a major way.

that'd be cool too, but then wouldn't this just be ported to the WU e-shop anyway?

Depending on how the eshop works. If it's like 3ds, wiiware would be available on the wii U shop as well. I doubt capcom would even bother porting the updated version there if the gba ports already exist.

Ace attorney ain't Capcom's FF1-2/4 even though I'd easily rebuy them again AA games are surprisingly replayable once a year or so.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Who says that V has to be exactly the same as the first 3-4 titles ? They waited so long with the next installment, i wouldnt be surprised if they would shake up game the gameplay in a major way.

I was talking about the first three games.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Anyway, Apollo Justice (the game) was absolutely awesome and a true main chapter to the story... i don't care if Phoenix is in this, if Apollo is in this, etc. etc.
I know i will be happy with the result if

1] they don't put too much fanservice in it [here, have some LARRY BUTZ because everyone loves him; here, have some OLDBAG! etc.]

I totally disagree!

For me the appeal of jumping into the future is seeing what all the characters I know and love are up to years later. At the very least, I want the core cast to show up. I'm fine with another Apollo game if I can get Maya, Gumshoe and Edgeworth back at least in cameos.

Also, give him a real fucking prosecutor.

mihon

About the HD, they should really redesign the sprites (of course if they don't mess up everything). But I doubtfully doubt since this is "only" a iOS port.

99.jpg

SEXY!!

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
While this is true (look at Phoenix's eyes, etc, these ARE the original artworks) they still look like shit, because the artworks were made with the GBA in mind.

"Don't put too much detail on them, we will have to put these on a GBA", is what i think they thought back in the days.
I agree, I was saying something like that earlier:
Honestly the HD version is just making it clear how rough Iwamoto's art for the first three games were before they were converted to sprites. It's probably why they avoided using it so far in the countless versions of AA1-3.
Still, it's nice that more people will get to experience the games on iOS and Android.

I can't believe we are still talking about this while there's Gyakuten 5 announced...
It's because there's nothing to say sadly. The logo is nice, I guess? Hopefully this one goes over smoother than AA4 did.

GSR

So when Will capcom show something about aa5?

My guess is a small feature in this week's Famitsu, and then radio silence until TGS. Happened with Ace Attorney Investigations when that was first announced, and that was further along in development than this seems to be.

Omikaru

Well i can't really vouch for Vita since the PW series had never been on a sony device. Maybe it'll change for AA5 but I doubt it.

The fact that they haven't announced a platform suggests to me that they're still working that bit out.

At this point I think 3DS is a lock, and they're obviously trying to move the series to iOS, so I expect an iOS version at some point long after the 3DS release. Whilst I don't want to come across as port begging here (3DS, iOS and soon-to-be Vita owner here -- I really don't mind which platform this game is on), it wouldn't surprise me if they made the AA 1-3 HD versions on Vita/PS Suite too, with the intent of introducing the franchise to PlayStation fans as a launchpad to releasing AA5 as a full release on the system.

The fate of Apollo Justice in this scenario (or at all!), no one knows. Maybe Capcom will retcon the game out of existence, having AA5 the direct sequel to AA3, something which I wouldn't object to too much.

And in the end, I don't think it's such an extraordinary thing for Capcom to go multiplatform with this series. They have with many of their others on the home consoles (where they share a common interface: the controller, with an almost identical layout at that), and since iOS devices, 3DS and Vita all share a common interface (touch screen) too, and that the Ace Attorney games have never been technically demanding anyway, it's highly likely that they've considered it. This is Capcom, after all.

And as you can tell by the avatar, I'm an Ace Attorney fan. A big one. I will buy each and every version of these games that they release. I'm a sucker like that.

Instro

Well, 999's sequel is for both 3DS and Vita.

999's sequel doesn't really tie into the first game though does it? From what I recall, it sounds like it won't tie in at all with its predecessor outside of similarities in the scenario. There's usually a lot of plot/character connections between all the AA games, so it would be pretty odd on the Vita unless they released the HD ports on it, or went in a completely new direction with the series. Without one of those 2 things happening I would say chances for a Vita port are pretty slim. I would think WiiU has a better chance right now compared to the Vita considering the first 3 were released on WiiWare.

Famassu

This really would be the perfect time to expand Ace Attorneys fanbase. Don't just leave the HD versions to iOS, release them for Vita (and bring out Apollo Justice "HD" too). Then bring AA5 to 3DS & Vita simultaneously without saving any expenses, maybe bring it to iOS later on for a cheaper price once profit has been made from the 3DS & Vita versions. Good People Die & Time Traveler are doing the simultaneous 3DS + Vita release, time to begin the visual novel (mini) revolution!

This really would be the perfect time to expand Ace Attorneys fanbase. Don't just leave the HD versions to iOS, release them for Vita (and bring out Apollo Justice "HD" too). Then bring AA5 to 3DS & Vita simultaneously without saving any expenses, maybe bring it to iOS later on for a cheaper price once profit has been made from the 3DS & Vita versions. Good People Die & Time Traveler are doing the simultaneous 3DS + Vita release, time to begin the visual novel (mini) revolution!

ios would be the best way to expand the fanbase if it's promoted well... unless they try to hit vita online shop when it's young.

Also, people with iphones. Save the image above, and view it on your phone. It does look pretty damn sharp, and this will be animated, so the little compression stuff shouldn't be too noticeable.

Cactus

Banned
My guess is 3DS only. With Layton vs. Wright, Capcom and Level 5 agreed to keep the game exclusive and I'm guessing that Capcom will go the same route with AA5. Just like Layton, the fanbase is already there, so there's less reason to go multiplatform.

BlackJace

The fact that they haven't announced a platform suggests to me that they're still working that bit out.

At this point I think 3DS is a lock, and they're obviously trying to move the series to iOS, so I expect an iOS version at some point long after the 3DS release. Whilst I don't want to come across as port begging here (3DS, iOS and soon-to-be Vita owner here -- I really don't mind which platform this game is on), it wouldn't surprise me if they made the AA 1-3 HD versions on Vita/PS Suite too, with the intent of introducing the franchise to PlayStation fans as a launchpad to releasing AA5 as a full release on the system.

The fate of Apollo Justice in this scenario (or at all!), no one knows. Maybe Capcom will retcon the game out of existence, having AA5 the direct sequel to AA3, something which I wouldn't object to too much.

And in the end, I don't think it's such an extraordinary thing for Capcom to go multiplatform with this series. They have with many of their others on the home consoles (where they share a common interface: the controller, with an almost identical layout at that), and since iOS devices, 3DS and Vita all share a common interface (touch screen) too, and that the Ace Attorney games have never been technically demanding anyway, it's highly likely that they've considered it. This is Capcom, after all.

And as you can tell by the avatar, I'm an Ace Attorney fan. A big one. I will buy each and every version of these games that they release. I'm a sucker like that.

You and me both. I'll support Ace Attorney regardless of platform.
And good point about phasing out Apollo. I would be happy if AA5 picked up after Trials and Tribulations.

yurinka

My guess is 3DS only. With Layton vs. Wright, Capcom and Level 5 agreed to keep the game exclusive and I'm guessing that Capcom will go the same route with AA5. Just like Layton, the fanbase is already there, so there's less reason to go multiplatform.
So following that logic Monster Hunter 3G and 4 would be Vita only.
It's Capcom. They like to port at least when they don't have someone paying to avoid that, that I think it isn't the case.

I assume that the announcement of 1-3 HD for iOS and Android devices, in addition to not announce the platform of 5 means that 5 is not going to be 3DS exclusive.
Specially considering how easy is to port are these games.

P.S.: Remember, AA1-3 HD have been announced for Android HD too. And do you know where PS Suite runs? Having the Android versions, the Vita port would be 99% done, unless they have some kind of deal for handhelds with Nintendo.

So I dled the phoenix wright movie app which has a demo of PW using the updated visuals (case 1)

More stuff to complain about while more news comes about!

Photo%20Jan%2030%2C%206%2051%2028%20PM.png

Photo%20Jan%2030%2C%206%2056%2048%20PM.png

Photo%20Jan%2030%2C%206%2058%2025%20PM.png

Photo%20Jan%2030%2C%206%2058%2029%20PM.png

Photo%20Jan%2030%2C%206%2059%2003%20PM.png

Photo%20Jan%2030%2C%206%2059%2020%20PM.png

Photo%20Jan%2030%2C%207%2003%2028%20PM.png

Photo%20Jan%2030%2C%207%2006%2047%20PM.png

Photo%20Jan%2030%2C%207%2007%2003%20PM.png

Photo%20Jan%2030%2C%207%2010%2002%20PM.png

The lack of frames of animations is definitely more noticeable. And on a side note, the music is exactly the same as the original. Which is a good thing ;)

Thoraxes

P.S.: Remember, AA1-3 HD have been announced for Android HD too. And do you know where PS Suite runs? Having the Android versions, the Vita port would be 99% done.

I will guarantee you AA5 will be on iOS, no questions asked, if anything, they can do whatever the hell they want with the other platforms, but most of their money will come from that crowd.

They aren't animated at all? Ace Attorney animations don't exactly have a lot of frames to begin with.

It's frame by frame the same, but like with the whole super street fighter 2 HD talk before, higher res stuff = easier to notice the lack of frames.

And the last few screenies

Photo%20Jan%2030%2C%207%2055%2003%20PM.png

The shot that matters ;)

And that's that.

Photo%20Jan%2030%2C%207%2055%2014%20PM.png

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I will guarantee you AA5 will be on iOS, no questions asked, if anything, they can do whatever the hell they want with the other platforms, but most of their money will come from that crowd.

I doubt iOS will launch simultaneously with handhelds / whatever platform it's on. They can't charge nearly as much as they can on dedicated handhelds, and the game is most popular in Japan anyways.

Thoraxes

I doubt iOS will launch simultaneously with handhelds / whatever platform it's on. They can't charge nearly as much as they can on dedicated handhelds, and the game is most popular in Japan anyways.

They'll probably do the exact model they did with Ghost Trick, though, i'd bet now that they've done it, they can easily make the turnaround in less than 6 months this time too. If anything, they'll probably space it out slightly, and do an episodic model by selling each case for a set fee that will total up to (i'm going to use the US prices because i've only bought 2 games from the JP appstore) around $5-7 each.

I honestly believe that game was used as the test to that model for that market. They've made really good money there too, so even if it doesn't come to consoles first, you can bet the turnaround will be in 6 months or less [for a hypothetical iOS version].

PKrockin

The HD shots kinda look like crap, and the original trilogy really didn't need yet another rerelease. But I'm there day 1 for AA5.

wrowa

They'll probably do the exact model they did with Ghost Trick, though, i'd bet now that they've done it, they can easily make the turnaround in less than 6 months this time too. If anything, they'll probably space it out slightly, and do an episodic model by selling each case for a set fee that will total up to (i'm going to use the US prices because i've only bought 2 games from the JP appstore) around $5-7 each.

I honestly believe that game was used as the test to that model for that market. They've made really good money there too, so even if it doesn't come to consoles first, you can bet the turnaround will be in 6 months or less [for a hypothetical iOS version].

Has Capcom ever talked about Ghost Trick's iOS sales or are you just pulling that number out of nowhere? Considering they didn't even bother to release it on iOS outside of Japan I can't really imagine that it was doing as hot as you proclaim.

(Regarding AA5, I'm pretty sure that it'll end up on iOS eventually. However, Capcom won't pass on at least 200k-300k units of full price sales that they can achieve with a retail release in Japan alone, so I hardly doubt that it's going to be simultaneous)

Top Bottom