• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.
DDZxmQoUMAI0Cne.jpg:large

DDZz4yPV0AAhVUS.jpg:large

SOMEONE ASK HIM DETAILS OF THE BILL FFS

lol, guy didn't even know this was actually a tax bill in disguise that coincidentally cost millions of poor people their health care. Normally I wouldn't be this savagely cruel about his lack of understanding (okay fine, that's a lie, but whatever), but the reports of him being confused since his plan is taxes after health care? Yeah, he's clueless. You'd think he'd have staffers that would at least vaguely explain legislation to him.

Zolo

lol, guy didn't even know this was actually a tax bill in disguise that coincidentally cost millions of poor people their health care. Normally I wouldn't be this savagely cruel about his lack of understanding (okay fine, that's a lie, but whatever), but the reports of him being confused since his plan is taxes after health care? Yeah, he's clueless. You'd think he'd have staffers that would at least vaguely explain legislation to him.

Yeah. I wonder at his mental faculties. He doesn't even seem to know basic stuff about things that should interest him.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Right--that really lowers my already low expectations.

Either A) He wasn't paying any attention at all, or B) He read the bill but couldn't understand it. Either way, it's not good.

About the same.

Also, look at that number of 39% of republicans "not having heard enough" about the bill. That is incredibly high. Rural folk, or liars?

Zolo

I'd actually be surprised if he read it. Didn't one Republican House member admit they usually just have aides give them a summary?

Hindl

About the same.

Also, look at that number of 39% of republicans "not having heard enough" about the bill. That is incredibly high. Rural folk, or liars?
I'd say that it's people that know the bill is terrible and will hurt them, but they don't want to vote against their team. That answer lets them say they don't support it without saying it's bad

Right--that really lowers my already low expectations.

Either A) He wasn't paying any attention at all, or B) He read the bill but couldn't understand it. Either way, it's not good.

About the same.

I'm pretty sure that's roughly the same number of people who had "no opinion" of the AHCA. I'd say most of those are wobbly Trump supporters. Just trying to ignore stuff they know is bad news.

Fox News viewers.
According to the Pew Research Center, 40 percent of Trump voters named Fox News as their primary source of information about current events. But if you were watching Fox News last night, you wouldn't have learned much at all about an impending piece of legislation that could upend your life. You wouldn't understand anything about it expect that liberals hate it and the president sees it as a victory.

Tucker Carlson and Sean Hannity could scarcely find time to discuss this major piece of legislation in between segments on Nancy Pelosi, Chinese dog meat, and ”leftist rage." When they did get around to talking about health care, they spent more time reviewing their complaints about Obamacare than discussing the new bill.

Hannity chatted briefly with Health Secretary Tom Price, who described the bill as offering ”greater choices" for patients before pivoting to the demerits of Obamacare — a visibly more comfortable subject. Carlson did not discuss the bill at all. Instead he played a 90-second clip of Trump describing Obamacare as ”virtually out of business."

On The Five, a roundtable talk show, the pundits did devote a substantial amount of time — 10 minutes — to what they described as the ”SENATE HEALTH CARE SHOWDOWN." But the framing was entirely political. Instead of talking about what the bill would do, they talked about the bill's chances of making it through Congress.

They know the bill is garbage so they literally won't talk about what it actually does.

Chumly

Has it been posted that Portman, Capito, and Moran have all come out as "no" on this draft of the bill?

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/27/polit...an-shelley-moore-capito-opposition/index.html
Let's get something straight. Coming out after the fact that the bill was delayed and saying your against it and are going to make it better is fucking cheap. These spineless cowards weren't against it until it makes them look good. The whole only 5 people supported it is a sham. If McConnell held a vote you bet your ass he would have gotten a vote in the 40s

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm starting to feel as if a public option has a really good chance of being implemented in 2021 if things keep going as they have been. I still feel single-payer is a no-go due to a payroll tax and companies just pocketing extra money. That would destroy finances for millions of people. A public option, though, could be a breakthrough.

Plinko

Wait--so he is now advocating for corporations to pay taxes? I'm all for this.

Let's get something straight. Coming out after the fact that the bill was delayed and saying your against it and are going to make it better is fucking cheap. These spineless cowards weren't against it until it makes them look good. The whole only 5 people supported it is a sham. If McConnell held a vote you bet your ass he would have gotten a vote in the 40s

Yes. The only Nos that matter are the ones that come out before the vote (and even then). The bill would never fail by one or two votes. There are a ton of finger-in-the-wind Senators who support it if it's going to pass and don't if it's going to fail. All this shows is how sketchy everyone felt about the bill in private.

Did he mean the Guardian (like the newspaper) of Amazon or....? Is them not paying internet taxes the fake news? I'm having a really hard time understanding this tweet.

TS-08

I came to this thread specifically to make sure I wasn't the only one struggling to comprehend that tweet. Glad to see I'm not alone.

Something about Jeff Bezos (Amazon CEO) owning the Washington Post. Maybe he thinks the paper helps Amazon not pay taxes?

Edit: Found an article from way back about it, here's some Trump quotes:

"He thinks I'll go after him for antitrust," Trump said at the time. "Because he's got a huge antitrust problem because he's controlling so much, Amazon is controlling so much of what they are doing.

"He's using the Washington Post, which is peanuts, he's using that for political purposes to save Amazon in terms of taxes and in terms of antitrust."

gaugebozo

DDaRpEZUIAAOb8o.jpg:large

Someone is bored
The Washington Post is a highly-skilled business that has a fiduciary responsibility to its business, its family and its employees to pay no more tax than legally required. That being said, the Washington Post has paid hundreds of millions of dollars in property taxes, sales and excise taxes, real estate taxes, city taxes, state taxes, employee taxes and federal taxes, along with very substantial charitable contributions.

the venezeula stuff stinks of Turkey 2.0.

the guy in the video is/might be an actor that was interviewed for a movie a little while ago. I'll try to find the vid links

--------------------------
pulled from a reddit comment

First of all because this man 'Oscar Perez', was an actor and producer for a Venezuelan Movie called "Muerte Suspendida", which was funded by the CICPC, the national intelligence agency, which is obviously controlled by the government. The guy apparently is also an actual CICPC officer, but I do still suggest people to take this video with a very BIG grain of salt, I don't want to sound like a nut-job who believes in conspiracy theories, but this is just way too odd. Some people are already calling this a bluff, and an staged self-coup so the government can justify any nasty thing they have in plans

Here are a couple videos of him being interviewed about the movie, all of them are in spanish obviously, but you can tell that it's the same person:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZyDP0OqR7Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XPjAFwPW0I

(@3:25) https://youtu.be/NGSo0oFMwAQ?t=3m25s

Gruco

Banned
It is crazy what fucking lemmings GOP Senators have ended up being. Universal opposition to Obama on legislation which should have been getting 70+votes. Willingness to say nice things about Garland behind McConnel's back but still not lift a finger to seat him. Knowing that their health care efforts are dangerous nonsense but still playing along until it's clear others have made it safe. Just, really pathetic stuff.
I'm starting to feel as if a public option has a really good chance of being implemented in 2021 if things keep going as they have been. I still feel single-payer is a no-go due to a payroll tax and companies just pocketing extra money. That would destroy finances for millions of people. A public option, though, could be a breakthrough.
Public option and perhaps also universal catastrophic coverage (aka the Kerry plan) would be really good next steps. Both would dramatically help the system but neither would demand the same level gut punch as a 50% spike in the most regressive tax in the country.

It is crazy what fucking lemmings GOP Senators have ended up being. Universal opposition to Obama on legislation which should have been getting 70+votes. Willingness to say nice things about Garland behind McConnel's back but still not lift a finger to seat him. Knowing that their health care efforts are dangerous nonsense but still playing along until it's clear others have made it safe. Just, really pathetic stuff.

Because at the end of the day, all of the decisions they make never fucking touch them. They're shielded from all the garbage they do. It's so fucking infuriating.

dramatis

the venezeula stuff stinks of Turkey 2.0.

the guy in the video is/might be an actor that was interviewed for a movie a little while ago. I'll try to find the vid links
Fake or not, whatever happens to Venezuela the likelihood of a competent response by this administration is very low.

We're currently in a situation where we have to say ending up like Turkey might still be better than ending up like Syria.

I think turtle man is only good at obstructing and finding clever ways to not do his job. I wonder, if health care fails a second time in the Senate will they try to kick turtle man out?

The hopes for McConnell to be ousted are premature, I feel. This was undoubtedly a disaster, but unlike Ryan in the House I dont think the Man-Turtle is in nay real danger from it. He's got a longer record of "successes," to use the Republican perspective, which makes it harder for Rs to justify tossing him. Also, this Healthcare thing isn't something he's pegged his personal worth on like Ryan did,so it'd not as much of a blow to him as an individual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom