• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favorite/greatest bullshots in gaming history

Halo 4

gaming_halo4_2.jpg

gaming_halo4_1.jpg
It's been a while since I've played 4, but didn't it pretty much look like this?

DOWN

Banned
No they weren't.

My mistake. 343 was asked if they were pre-rendered or in-game and they said both. But I think almost all of them (within the campaign itself) were using in-game assets. I'm not quite remembering which scenes would be which, though.

DOWN

Banned
Yes, but a lot of these console games have PC counterparts.

Many of the shots here are for games that only had console versions at launch or ever. I agree that super-sampling on PC game screenshots is less an issue. But on consoles where they know very well that they couldn't even hit 720p on games like AC?

okayfrog

Banned
why are people still posting tech demo shots

Because they don't understand the difference between when a developer says, "This is what the game looks like," and, "This is what the game can look like." There are also people posting things like the Halo 3 teaser that was never actually identified as "in-game footage" (to my knowledge).

Rapstah

I dunno man Oblivion really did look like that last time I booted it up.

That's a screenshot from 2004, but it's probably actually representative of what you could get out of that game if you maxed all of the settings at launch. I don't think any PC of the time of release, much less 2004, would have run that though. It's pretty funny how most of the official screenshots from 2005 of that game are blatantly some dev running around, spawning shit and then taking pictures of it with the UI off on his 1024*768 workstation.

DesertFox

Many of the shots here are for games that only had console versions at launch or ever. I agree that super-sampling on PC game screenshots is less an issue. But on consoles where they know very well that they couldn't even hit 720p on games like AC?
Agreed. Super-sampled screen shots for a console game are disingenuous, because the game will never be capable of looking like that on the consumer's hardware. Given the right hardware however, PCs are definitely capable of achieving visual parity.
Because they don't understand the difference between when a developer says, "This is what the game looks like," and, "This is what the game can look like." There are also people posting things like the Halo 3 teaser that was never actually identified as "in-game footage" (to my knowledge).
I'm almost positive that in their vidoc following e3, bungie devs claimed that the demo was in engine and that was what the game was going to look like.

Edit: found it

http://youtu.be/14VuexP9UYE#t=07m01s

In case time linking isn't working... 7 mins in.

Shin-Ra

Hmmmmm!

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/e3-06-halo-3-announced-plot-details-revealed/1100-6149725/
The Bungie representatives made it clear to us that the trailer was running in real-time on the Xbox 360. The trailer is set in the African desert, and it was taken from roughly a third of the way through the game. Cowan noted that the constant battling has taken its toll on Master Chief, and you can see that by the many scratches and gouges in his armor. The flashes of Cortana seen in the trailer fill you in on the state of her mind, and the Forerunner structure seen in the distance at the end of the trailer represents a pivotal point in the story.

We next met with Marcus Lehto, Bungie's art director, who filled us in on the technology as he gave us a fly through of the locations in the trailer. The crater seen in the trailer is three miles across, and it's all rendered in real geometry. Halo 3 has a new global lighting system that now lights everything uniquely from the same source, which explains just how that setting sun looked that good as it illuminated everything in the trailer. Halo 2, on the other hand, used a lighting system that lit everything separately. Meanwhile, parallax mapping is able to give depth to structures in the distance, such as the clouds above the crater. A new particle system offers different levels of light diffusion to take the quality of the atmosphere into account, and that makes for different layers of light.

The demo shifted away from the crater to the part of the level you see the Master Chief walking in from. He was controllable, which means that the trailer indicates just how good the game will look. Lehto was able to zoom in on the Master Chief with the camera, and you could see the many different ways light reflected objects onto him. For example, you could see light reflect off the ground and onto his armor. A new materials system shows the difference between his armor and the rubber undersuit. It's so detailed that if you bring the camera close to the Master Chief's visor, you see everything in front of him reflected in it, right down to the ammo counter in his rifle.

When I think "Bullshot" I think of this image specifically.

tres01.jpg

When that shot was shrunk down and put in magazine previews, it looked incredible. As crappy as it looks blown up, I don't think there is any part of Trespasser that looks that good.

DOWN

Banned

The vid-doc posted and quoted above is exactly where I heard that Halo 3 teaser was in-game. From Bungie themselves, that very day.

EDIT: posted before noticing you saw the scenario

DemonNite

When I think "Bullshot" I think of this image specifically.

tres01.jpg

When that shot was shrunk down and put in magazine previews, it looked incredible. As crappy as it looks blown up, I don't think there is any part of Trespasser that looks that good.

came here to post this.. brings a tear to my eye

Kyūkon

Neo Member
Last year someone posted a very nice looking Crysis image here on GAF. Not sure if it was a screen or a bullshot but damn it looked sexy.
Curse me for not saving it D:

Omega

Banned
EA: the thread.

We won't get a sports game from them looking anywhere near as good as the Madden 06 trailer for another decade, if we ever do.

Mondy

Banned
I think Colonial Marines is the stuff of legend now. That was just the most flagrant piece of misrepresentation in the industries history.

There was a strange separation from the Ultra 64 and the Nintendo 64 with regards games like Killer Instinct. Given the delays, it all got swept under the carpet and it was mostly forgotten about on launch wasn't it? At least, that's how I saw it. Mario 64 did a good job of taking the mind off I suppose.

Still, that Chief Thunder still brings back painful memories of getting quite impatient with Nintendo...

Yeah, I always felt the same. From a high-end ultra tech Arcade-at-home machine (there was also the Cruis'n'Usa coin-op) we went to a long timeframe of ...nothing/vaporware and then again to the N64 we actually know, shown first at Shoshinkai '95.

And I agree, the wait was excruciating.

Reallink

This demo was actually playable on the E3 show floor (you could control the bird's view with the Upad or something like that IIRC), and was not at all impressive in person. Nothing about it's a bullshot, most of the media's just low res and off screen acting to mask all the deficiencies and corners they cut for the demo. Things completely fell apart on close inspection with things like distant trees that were effectively 2D flat shaded assets, low res textures, tetrahedral branches, etc... The fascination with this demo never ceases to amaze me as I did not consider it worth a second glance or mention. There are plenty of fully playable PS360 games that are leaps and bounds more technically advanced and impressive than this semi-interactive tech demo.

sn00zer

I dont really have a problem with super sampling nowadays considering IQ is pretty damn good already...if you are doing anything beyond that outside of HUD removal then we need to have a talk

Lkr

The xbox 360 ones are so nostalgic. i remember when 360 games actually still looked good to me as well

Vlade

Clever post, but I expect them to fully dodge any such issues by using some visual style like cell-shading or 'impressionism' that will allow them to claim that comparisons are useless. Which they pretty much will be.

lol

Top Bottom