• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paragon Open Beta Thead | PC x PS4

Latest patch notes: V.42 - The New Dawn - Aug 3

GAF Sheet (quote to reveal)

FB_Share_Image-0a6784371f4e7bfeacc6323e029b59d6.jpg

Paragon is Epic's F2P 3rd person MOBA with crossplay support. On PC you'll need an Epic account which then you can connect with your PSN ID (see FAQ), if you want cross progression. On PS4 you can just get it on the PSN store. PSN+ isn't required. It has early kb&m support on PS4. Runs around 900p@60fps. You can play the game PvP, coop vs AI and alone vs AI.

System requirements

Recommended spec:

Nvidia GTX 660 or AMD Radeon HD 7870 equivalent DX11 GPU
2 GByte VRAM
Core i5 2.8 Ghz
8 GByte RAM
Windows 7/8/10 64-bit

Minimum spec:

Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 or AMD Radeon HD 6870 equivalent DX11 GPU
1 GByte VRAM
Core i5 2.5 Ghz
4 GByte RAM
Windows 7/8/10 64-bit

In the FAQ they have a table with several GPUs, settings and framerates.

So, this is a MOBA, huh?

Yes, as Epic puts it 5v5. Three lanes. Jungles. Minions. Towers. Cores. Experience the classic elements of a MOBA from a whole new perspective in Paragon. Don't let the 3rd person perspective fool you, this is a MOBA, not a shooter. So, the projectiles will have limited range and there's no such thing as TTK. Lots of things starting from heros and abilities will determine how fast a hero can die. Don't expect fast engagements and lots of kills. You need to farm, take objectives, think about team compositions. A redditor put together a MOBA Basics, Terminology, & Roles for first timers of the genre.

One of Paragon's main features are cards. Cards augment, improve your heroes. There are different type of cards which you earn by unlocking them with Reputation, the time-based currency of the game. You can make a deck out of them and bring them in a game, where you can purchase them for your hero with Amber. You get that with harvesters (mines around the map which store amber for you once you activate them), killing minions and heroes. Basically think of it like item shops.

Business model

Heroes are and will be free. You can't buy cards, however you can buy boost, which increase your Rep, so you can unlock cards faster. You can also buy cosmetics.

from the FAQ said:
Store

How does Reputation work?

Reputation is earned from playing matches; it is Paragon’s “Time Based Currency.” It is used to unlock card packs, Master Challenges*, and other items in the future.

What are boosts in Paragon?

We have two types of boosts in Paragon. XP and Reputation boosts double the XP and Reputation earned after playing a match. Boosts can be active by duration (1 or more days) and by victory (1 or more wins).

Can cosmetics be earned?

Yes. Some cosmetics can be earned by playing, while others must be purchased.

Do Win Boosts expire?

No, they do not.

Can I stack Boosts?

Yes, Time and Win boosts stack.

Where can I buy Skins?

Skins are available in the in-game store now!

*Master Challenges grant an immediate skin, a permanent XP boost, and unlock unique cosmetic rewards as you play.

Basic guides and rundowns

Heroes (every hero has a profile)

Epic has been releasing new heroes every 3 weeks.

Discover Your Role. Find the Perfect Hero. by Epic said:

dugdug

Banned
Again, hope they fix the spectator bug. Many of us have been completely unable to actually play the game on both PS4 and PC for months.

Please please download this game and try it out. Don't let the MOBA tag scare you. I'm shocked that I'm having so much fun with this game. I find myself thinking about it throughout the day.

I know it's a weird comparison, but it's like City of Heroes meets Unreal Tournament. From the character designs to the heroes roles (archetypes) announcer "MEGA STREAK". Haven't done much play against other human players, but having a blast co-oping versus the AI.

It's really filled a hole in my heart that's been vacant for years.

I'm enjoying this game a lot, i hope they add more heroes more frecuently.

Didn't they say every 3 weeks or something like that?

artsi

I've been enjoying the game a lot in early access.

I hope they will add some kick ass ingame music soon. It feels unfinished when it's all silent, but I've been playing my own tracks.

So we have this at my job on clearance for $20. I barely played the alpha and enjoyed it, if someone is interested in the game, is this package a good value at $20?

ZeroCoin

So we have this at my job on clearance for $20. I barely played the alpha and enjoyed it, if someone is interested in the game, is this package a good value at $20?

Depends on if you see yourself wanting to buy currency to buy extra skins or boosts at any point. The masteries included with the disc version may or may not be useful to you depending on how much you like the characters they are for, that and you can just buy them with earned in game currency as well. I'd tell you to try the beta out tomorrow and if you really enjoy it and want to buy skins, then pick up the disc version eventually to save some money. Who knows, the disc version could go even cheaper at some point.

Mindlog

Iggy Tank. Although it's starting to get pretty popular.

My first MOBA.
Really like it. My only complaint is how hard it is to get the cards I need for my decks.

Minor - Strike, Cast, Guard Barrier
I have a total of 3 cards.

Dire - Wound, Pierce, Shock, Drain
I have 30 cards.

Absolutely kills my decks.

Still, fun game! I understand MOBAs now. Just need card crafting.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I'm more of a Coop player who enjoys filling up bars
The carebear type

Got my First Mastery, Murdock to Max (level 10)

PvP rarely due to AFK or Idiots pressing surrender within 10 minutes if things don't go their way

So far enjoying my time and earning stuff

Will continue playing for a long time
Stats from PS+ release till today:
8FNItbfl.jpg

Even co-op is getting infected with DC'ers and AFK'ers, ;(
pkM342nl.jpg

Great job with the OP.

Absolutely loving this game, my most played on PS4.

I'm a Grux/Sparrow/Steel player.....in that order.

And finally, FUCK everyone that draft dodges and goes afk, thanks, bye.

Mindlog

Most played right now:
Iggy
Rampage
Please god why did none of you pick ADC? I'm on PS4. ADC is my worst class. WHY? Murdock.

Did well with TwinBlast, but never rebuilt his deck after the drain changes.
Have a solid Sparrown deck, but never really use her. Same with Grim.

GraveRobberX

Most played right now:
Iggy
Rampage
Please god why did none of you pick ADC? I'm on PS4. ADC is my worst class. WHY? Murdock.

Did well with TwinBlast, but never rebuilt his deck after the drain changes.
Have a solid Sparrown deck, but never really use her. Same with Grim.

I can be your ADC
My Murdock is very strong. Got him to Rank 10 and built a nice deck with him.
200 damage per shot, almost semi-auto with how much ATK+ Speed I've pumped into him

Usually cover Right lane, then Jungle during when only Inhibitors are left standing
Try to get to at least 48CXP to be formidable, last 12 is just gravy on top

You can see my setup in the last post, that's my deck

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Sparrow with about 130 armor (both Phys and Energy), rocking 200 damage and 160 AS by 60CP is god tier I reckon....that piercing shot is so fun too when finishing a running enemy.

Splintered is a great card too for her; just have to remember to use the active on it for full effect.

Mindlog

I can be your ADC
My Murdock is very strong. Got him to Rank 10 and built a nice deck with him.
200 damage per shot, almost semi-auto with how much ATK+ Speed I've pumped into him

Usually cover Right lane, then Jungle during when only Inhibitors are left standing
Try to get to at least 48CXP to be formidable, last 12 is just gravy on top

You can see my setup in the last post, that's my deck
Have you been having trouble getting into co-op games.
Every time I try the timer just keeps getting longer and never connecting. Open beta should help.

"Really can't believe we won that." -part 87
I would easily accuse me of not showing up for every team fight. My k/d+a there is pretty pathetic. I was practicing my split pushing. At one point I defended every lane. When my Iggy would roll up on one of our lanes they would just back out.
The final team fight that sealed the deal our team managed to knock out their mid inhib as my split push had reached their right (our left) (blue). The timing was beautiful.

I need to rebuild my deck a bit since I may have received 1 useful card since I last tampered with the setup. Would like to have the ability to dump my ward ultra-late game, but in the games I play only one or two players will build them and someone has to watch OP.

Hope open beta can bring in some new players. Game is still fun.

hawk2025

This is the first MOBA I've even remotely enjoyed.

But... is it normal for these games to literally only have one map? I understand that the whole lane thing is part of the design, but couldn't we have multiple maps with the same idea?

Demoskinos

But... is it normal for these games to literally only have one map? I understand that the whole lane thing is part of the design, but couldn't we have multiple maps with the same idea?

Depends on the game some MOBA games do only have one map. Depends on the direction Epic wants to go with this.

GraveRobberX

Have you been having trouble getting into co-op games.
Every time I try the timer just keeps getting longer and never connecting. Open beta should help

Yeah the searching is borked
Sometimes it will say 2 minutes and 32 seconds and game lobby found at like 6-8 minute mark
Then you will get the 16 minute monstrosity, but lobby found within 10 minutes

Estimated time I'd all over the place

Worst was a ridiculous 18 minutes, then a draft dodger, then another 14 minute wait
Literally half hour searching...

Atkison04

Try it people. This game is super addictive once you get the hang of it. Fills a nice niche that no other game out there at the moment is, at least to me.

barit

Game is "epic"

No really, for me the best MOBA you can play right now on consoles (Sorry SMITE and Battleborn fans)

It's even more fun if you play in a group of friends (like 99% of all online games *sigh*)

Biff

I can't believe Battleborn released with a full price tag despite knowing/being able to see this game in action.

This is easily the most graphically polished F2P game I have ever played. Looks beautiful on PS4.

This is my first moba and while I fee like I'm getting wrecked because I don't know the basic mechanics/strategies, it's still fun.

Deck building is still completely lost on me. Pretty steep learning curve there in my opinion.

Anyway, give it a try GAF! Well worth the bandwidth :)

TheRed

I only played some early alpha, has the game gotten faster paced and more exciting? I remember games dragging and just trying to slowly end it over 60+ minutes.

ZeroCoin

Depends on the game some MOBA games do only have one map. Depends on the direction Epic wants to go with this.

They've stated that more maps might be down the line, but they are focused on character balance and making sure the first map is done. This is still a beta where the game has been getting large changes to it every few weeks.

Pooya

How big is the download for PC? They actually don't say that in the FAQ.

Are they putting this on steam at launch? I'm getting kind of sick of these launchers. Want to play TES Legends? Gotta download shitty Bethesda launcher, want to play this, download shitty epic launcher etc. Everyone thinks they can be Blizzard with one game. Know your place.

Moobabe

Looking at the stream now. They seem like really good guys. Very informative.

They're a really nice bunch, super passionate as well!

Haven't played for a while, but I'm all about the PvP side - never did a bot match, don't understand the appeal at all.

are there support heroes in this game?

Off the top of my head, the characters Dekker, Muriel and The Fey are supports. Dekker slows enemies and traps them in energy cages, Muriel shields allies and has an ult where she teleports to any ally on the map, and The Fey is an offensive support with a lot of AOE spells.

The tanks Steel and Riktor are also inclined to be support more often than not. Steel knocks up enemies and Riktor is Pudge.

I've been having tons of fun with this game. Over three days play time now.

are there support heroes in this game?
Yes. Muriel, The Fey, and Dekker are support casters. Riktor and Steel are good support tanks. There are no healers yet but it seems like the next hero will be a healer.

Mindlog

Is that link right? It wasn't paragon related at all :(
There was a quick tease of a rather large green drummer strolling through the stream.
Ah, here it is!

Epic we need a beginner card pack please. A pack with specifically low point items.
I have more Sinister Wound cards than all 1 point minor cards combined.
I can't build decks like that :[

GraveRobberX

Seriously I stopped playing Overwatch due to AFK'ers and Quitters

Same thing happens in a fucking Open Beta?
Really?

Worked my ass off holding 2 lanes, but in the end loss
Z5jZWMS.jpg

I told everyone Greystone players were scum and douchebags, this cements it
Fucking quitter

Fucking so pissed that you are 1 man down and can almost beat them, yet the numbers game catches up sooner or later

Back to co-op I go
I get matched with the surrender/AFK/quit players

Fuck man

Sheesh, the new forum site is garbage. So freaking white.
Not that the forums are really worth going to, with all the gamefaqs level posts.

I'm wanting to build a tank Iggy & Scorch build, but just can't get the cards. It doesn't help that I absent-mindidly bought five of the weekly pack when I meant to get just basic packs...

It's the same MOBA game...

Just different player persepective.

Mindlog

Pubs can be frustrating, but also fun.

One game as Rampage I fall wayyyyyyyyyyyy behind on CXP and XP because I'm constantly having to move to lanes to defend or help cover someone else.
Next game I determined to ignore that stuff as much as possible and focus on proper jungling.

Game is going well mid to late. I grab black buff to push right while the team defends mid from yet another deathball. Then I look at the minimap and noticed the enemy pushed past our T1 Mid tower so I run back from right to fight. All hell breaks loose and it ends with us wiping them. So satisfying. We rode that momentum straight into their inhibitor.

They managed to take OP, but we were relentless. Then I got paranoid and tried to attack OP before it was up lol. I need to remember the timer for that one since I almost never bother with it a second time.

While Rampage is no Kaimera the rock throwing mayhem can be very amusing.

Top Bottom