• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paragon Open Beta Thead | PC x PS4

Wait, so has the 30.1 update gone out yet or are we still waiting for it? I really hope this lowers match times and improves performance on my low end system. This game is actually playable at 720p 30fps on my core i5-4200u thinkpad, which is pretty great, but more performance would be very welcome.

Mindlog

I was hoping to see a slight nerf to armor or maybe a damage buff to make ADC viable again.....we get tower health nerfs so 4-5 fighter meta ball can steam roll them with black buff.....nice work Epic lol.
No lie I've been steamrolling towers with IGGY.
Iggy should NEVER be the character doing most damage to towers, but my main MMR is still low enough the players don't know how useful black buff is.

Kind of crazy how closely I'm closing in on Agora Platinum right now. My Iggy MMR is going to make it hell to play other characters when I'm ready to commit time to them.

Still need card crafting. I now have more Madspore Sash's than Minor Barriers.

Still have a blast playing.

Looked at patch notes... Wow. It'll be almost impossible to defend those towers vs a smart tank.

Mindlog

Lose connection.
Scramble to get back.
Help team win.

AFK warning and no rewards.
If I was really AFK would I have logged in to the server again?
:\

Feels crap. After a day of really bad matches.

Have they said if stats from open beta will carry over to the "final" game? Been wanting to try this game since its f2p but I like stats so I may just wait lol.

charsace

Twinblast, Murdock, Khaimera and the tank character with the shield are the best characters right? I play mainly Twinblast and Sparrow and Twinblast dominates the whole match while Sparrow needs to play with fighters or tanks until near the end of a match/ your leveling.

ZeroCoin

Twinblast, Murdock, Khaimera and the tank character with the shield are the best characters right? I play mainly Twinblast and Sparrow and Twinblast dominates the whole match while Sparrow needs to play with fighters or tanks until near the end of a match/ your leveling.

Not really any 'best' characters. Twin is generally considered to be worse than Murdock and Sparrow right now after the nerf. But even then it's a lot of play what you like. Unless you like Kallari.

charsace

Not really any 'best' characters. Twin is generally considered to be worse than Murdock and Sparrow right now after the nerf. But even then it's a lot of play what you like. Unless you like Kallari.

He's not better than them? He shoots pretty fast and has escape option with the dash move.

ZeroCoin

He's not better than them? He shoots pretty fast and has escape option with the dash move.

That's generally the current meta stance. Like I said though, play what you like. Even when Twin was considered the top ADC, I never cared to play him. Just a personal preference thing.

Twin had the range of his dash lowered, and the duration of his attack speed buff lowered recently. His kit just isn't in a great place right now.

Sparrow still has the crown for biggest damage because of her passive skill that keeps adding damage. Her AoE skill is great for helping clear waves. Her long distance skill is great at getting a killing blow on someone just out of range. Biggest drawback to her right now is the lack of escape/movement ability.

Murdock has the great ult, a short range AoE that increases his own damage type, mines to help with area control and escapes, and a displacement ability to get some breathing room against tanks. Just a great kit overall that helps in a lot of situations.

This is all based on the current state of the kits and the game. If sprint was removed tomorrow, is probably go back to playing more Sparrow. As of right now, I'm sticking with Murdock as my first ADC choice.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
That Narbash RMB is a hearty CC interrupt, keep it on hand at all times for screwing with peoples Ulties, watch the death/salt ensue.

The other day, I encountered a very strange glitch. I was playing a co-op vs AI match as Muriel, and I used her ult on an ally who was in another lane. Upon arriving in said lane, I hit the ground and was then frozen in place. I couldn't move in any direction; I would literally just run in place. I couldn't even teleport back to base. Using my ult again would still result in me not being able to move once I hit the ground.

I eventually died because I put myself in a place where the enemy bots could kill me. Upon respawning, I could move...but, I was moving at what had to be the lowest base movement speed. It was almost like moving at a snail's pace; even going into travel mode wouldn't make me go any faster. Again, using my ult didn't fix my speed.

I recorded a video of it, and I'll have to post it onto my Youtube. Until then, has anybody else encountered a glitch like this?

Mindlog

I encountered that bug as rampage when jumping from the jungle to a tower.

Speaking of Rampage. My last game I turned in OP three times. First time an offensive return turned defensive when we lost two inhibs. Second time they took down our inhib, but I rock sniped the sparrow that was carrying the orb for some reason and restored out inhibs. Final time I accidentally got behind their whole team and rushed the turn in. Finally won that match while later.

The hour long games are crazy intense, but too common. Not sure if faster spawning OP works. If anyone dies during or near OP spawn you are in trouble so that leads to a lot of safe play. Reminds me of sudden death soccer.

Demoskinos

Speaking of Rampage. My last game I turned in OP three times. First time an offensive return turned defensive when we lost two inhibs. Second time they took down our inhib, but I rock sniped the sparrow that was carrying the orb for some reason and restored out inhibs. Final time I accidentally got behind their whole team and rushed the turn in. Finally won that match while later.

The hour long games are crazy intense, but too common. Not sure if faster spawning OP works. If anyone dies during or near OP spawn you are in trouble so that leads to a lot of safe play. Reminds me of sudden death soccer.

I had a bug where I did a shield slam ult as Steel and for some reason the game didn't register me as hitting the ground again. Thus i was stuck in place unable to move for a good 5+ minutes until an enemy wandered by and killed me.

Sorry if this is obvious, I searched all 3 pages and didn't see anything about it, but how long is the average game? 45 minutes?

I had a bug where I did a shield slam ult as Steel and for some reason the game didn't register me as hitting the ground again. Thus i was stuck in place unable to move for a good 5+ minutes until an enemy wandered by and killed me.

Wow, so it's not just a Muriel issue? Weird. I guess the issue with Muriel specifically has existed for quite a while. Hopefully a future patch figures out just what the deal is with these uh..."landing" issues.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
After getting Murdock completed and set with his Deck at the moment

I've been working on 3 chars at the moment

Sparrow:
XaITXtV.jpg

GRIM.exe:
jCdBKVU.jpg

Feng Mao:
TSiER2g.jpg

Using them to see if it works, so far so good

Gurrry

I played 3 games last night, and I had a great time, but god damnnnnn these games are so long.

Maybe they go faster if youre in a group with good communication, but each one I played was around 45 minutes to an hour. I know thats somewhat typical for MOBA's but even in League I can finish games in 25-30 minutes.

Also, does the chat even work? Every time ive tried to talk to someone, no one responds. More than half of my games have someone who doesnt buy a single item or quits half way through. I cant get anyone to talk to me in chat. What the hell?

ZeroCoin

I played 3 games last night, and I had a great time, but god damnnnnn these games are so long.

Maybe they go faster if youre in a group with good communication, but each one I played was around 45 minutes to an hour. I know thats somewhat typical for MOBA's but even in League I can finish games in 25-30 minutes.

Also, does the chat even work? Every time ive tried to talk to someone, no one responds. More than half of my games have someone who doesnt buy a single item or quits half way through. I cant get anyone to talk to me in chat. What the hell?

Chat definitely works. Just have to remember that the PS4 users that don't have a keyboard or don't use the mobile app can't respond.

Match length is still in flux. They keep trying to tweak things to bring it down, but 45+ minutes is what I typically expect.

Gurrry

Chat definitely works. Just have to remember that the PS4 users that don't have a keyboard or don't use the mobile app can't respond.

Match length is still in flux. They keep trying to tweak things to bring it down, but 45+ minutes is what I typically expect.

Holy crap. That explains everything. I had no idea there was cross play. Makes sense that there are quitters and people who have no idea what they are doing.

Man.. im not sure I really want to play with/against PS4 players. Hopefully they add an option to disable that in matchmaking.

Holy crap. That explains everything. I had no idea there was cross play. Makes sense that there are quitters and people who have no idea what they are doing.

Man.. im not sure I really want to play with/against PS4 players. Hopefully they add an option to disable that in matchmaking.

#notallps4players

I play on ps4 and communicate. Really wish Epic would add in game voice chat, though.

ZeroCoin

Pretty broad strokes you are painting there. Lot of solid console players and poor PC players as well. You can also clearly tell who's on which platform during the draft. PC players have a PC icon next to their name on PS4. I remember hearing that the PS4 icon that PC players see was a little small or harder to see though.

Ploid 3.0

Downloaded and played it yesterday, 1 solo game, 1 co op vs ai game, and 1 PVP game. Today I played a long solo game to try to work on my cards and boop, no nothing at the end (exp or progress in anything). That's unfortunate, nice game though, oh boy. I guess the cut off on getting solo exp was when you hit level 5 or something.

I'll look up if I can get exp in co op games, but those take longer than PVP, and I like solo for the fast games, and the ability to quit whenever I feel like it. Heroes of the storm may still be king for me. The gameplay in this is awesome though. Love the 3rd person camera and the look.

Mindlog

I hooked up a keyboard to my PS4. Have a mouse as well, but I tore down my HTPC setup a while back and haven't rebuilt yet. I communicate when needed. I'll always let the team know I'll help them grab a buff before going to my lane. Really helps my Iggy when I help with a buff first and let the enemy push my lane.

Hit a huge tilt spot, but now my teams are stacked again for some reason. Games either last 1hr+ or 20m. My last game lasted ~30m, but it was definitely over at 20.

New favorite mini-game: Throw Iggy's turrets at the enemy laner to keep them from landing last hits and last hit creeps with my molotov. Lane still gets pulled towards my tower and the enemy grows to hate me.

Ploid 3.0

I play Iggy too. I like characters like that in HOTS, the Zerg Queen, Diablo 3's Witch Doctor, the Necromancer, and that goblin with the turrets and the big robot on it's back. Support type characters that chew through creep.

That said I had no idea who the tanks were when at the hero pick screen with the clock counting down the two times I did play with other people. I just stuck with Iggy and hoped I didn't screw up the team by picking another caster.

So are casters support, rangers assassins, and fighters tanks? I can't even remember if these classifications are on the select screen (to see what class the other people picked), though that ticking clock had me panicking as I tried to find the portrait of their selected characters quickly then seeing if it was a tank, support, or dd.

grmlin

I tried it today on my PS4 and omg what a overwhelming mess of a ui when you first start it.

After 3 matches with bots against bots I thought it is fun. Matches are very long though, nothing to hop in for a short distraction :/

Mindlog

I tried it today on my PS4 and omg what a overwhelming mess of a ui when you first start it.

After 3 matches with bots against bots I thought it is fun. Matches are very long though, nothing to hop in for a short distraction :/
Bot matches are a steamroll when I get in one. The only time they last is when people are farming for extra XP/Rep. There is definitely room to tweak match length. Every game has the potential to turn into a slugfest and that can lead to scheduling conflicts.
I play Iggy too. I like characters like that in HOTS, the Zerg Queen, Diablo 3's Witch Doctor, the Necromancer, and that goblin with the turrets and the big robot on it's back. Support type characters that chew through creep.

That said I had no idea who the tanks were when at the hero pick screen with the clock counting down the two times I did play with other people. I just stuck with Iggy and hoped I didn't screw up the team by picking another caster.

So are casters support, rangers assassins, and fighters tanks? I can't even remember if these classifications are on the select screen (to see what class the other people picked), though that ticking clock had me panicking as I tried to find the portrait of their selected characters quickly then seeing if it was a tank, support, or dd.
This is the official loose list.
In the current meta though everyone can or possibly should build a little tanky and that really hurts Kallari. People in the know pick Kallari specifically to prove a point, but she's the weakest hero thanks in part to all the armor everyone uses. Grux and especially early/mid-game Khaimera are the real assassins.

Fey is listed as support, but she also fits in well as a caster.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member

They won't disable PS4 vs PC crossplay or make it an option, they have stated this implicitly many times, and I like how they are sticking to their guns on this.

There are so many good PS4 players and so many bad PC players in the mix, it's very even par if you ask me: melee plays better with a DS4 in my opinion, and perhaps even support.

It's all what you're used to using, if you've grown up on console then you won't be hindered by the control scheme: it was built around cross play after all, and it's an awesome unique selling point for the game: giving it more server pop in the process :)

They won't disable PS4 vs PC crossplay or make it an option, they have stated this implicitly many times, and I like how they are sticking to their guns on this.

There are so many good PS4 players and so many bad PC players in the mix, it's very even par if you ask me: melee plays better with a DS4 in my opinion, and perhaps even support.

It's all what you're used to using, if you've grown up on console then you won't be hindered by the control scheme: it was built around cross play after all, and it's an awesome unique selling point for the game: giving it more server pop in the process :)

Yup. And it isn't like this game is some super twitch shooter where mouse and keyboard are a huge advantage.

I'd say 70% of the people I play with are terrible and I'd say 50% of those people are on PC. It really is a crapshoot most of the time.

grmlin

Well, if you are new to MOBAs like me and have no idea what you're doing its no wonder you are crap. It's not like the game really tries to tell you what's happening on the screen.

I like the fact that I can use mouse and keyboard with my PS4. I'll try that tonight, aiming should be much better then.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Well, if you are new to MOBAs like me and have no idea what you're doing its no wonder you are crap. It's not like the game really tries to tell you what's happening on the screen.

I like the fact that I can use mouse and keyboard with my PS4. I'll try that tonight, aiming should be much better then.

You do realize they have video linked on main page that literally says "Learn the Basics"

Every Hero has an ability page with a mini tutorial video of what they can do
At the end of the videos good too shown on which cards might benefit the Hero

Once you start playing, you won't have enough cards to really make an outstanding deck but the "Starter" deck has a toggle for it to teach you about early cards, mid cards, and end game cards
Then you get "Intermediate" decks added into the fold

Once you level up a few heroes and earn player levels, you'll start getting pack of cards
Do the weekly quest, 80% of the time all 4 weekly requirements can easily be achieved in a day, only one or two make it difficult to get all 4 done
Complete 1, earn 3 community cards
Complete 2, single random infinity card
Complete 3, same as 2
Complete all 4, same as 2

Then earn Rep, use it to buy packs, cost 15,000rep...
So yeah, game does it best and gives you enough info, you just have go notice it

I mean new players are easily figured out when they run into towers chasing enemies down while its still up
So you know they couldn't even take the 5 minutes to watch 1 basic tutorial video to get what the whole game is about

I had a co-op match where all 4 were jingling, I was the only one covering lanes
I had to spam messages galore to get them to move and defend
First I thought they were trolling, then I literally saw them wait for the timer to come off
There was still like 30+ secs to go
I got to 60 hella quick with GRIM.exe and just killed everything in site

By the way I earned my 50th Victory Chest for the daily log in (22 hour refresh)
Can't believe I've played this for 50 days straight already

grmlin

In PS4 it was like: loading game, throws you into a match.

I get that you can watch videos and all that, but that will not help learning the mechanics etc without playing it. That's why I tried it with bots.

The game is pretty complex with different mechanics, decks, different heroes, powers, upgrades, and it's all there at once. That's what I call a steep learning curve

ZeroCoin

The game really doesn't have great tutorials. Outside of the most basic information, they really don't have anything that will prepare someone for PvP. Solo is fine for testing some basic stuff out and learning the mechanics a bit more, and co-op let's you work on combos with other players, but there's really nothing to give you the info about the current meta and little nuances for pvp. I feel like the card system is especially under explained. When you have people that don't know too spend card points, you know you have a problem.

charsace

In PS4 it was like: loading game, throws you into a match.

I get that you can watch videos and all that, but that will not help learning the mechanics etc without playing it. That's why I tried it with bots.

The game is pretty complex with different mechanics, decks, different heroes, powers, upgrades, and it's all there at once. That's what I call a steep learning curve

The key to this game is defending against/occupying gankers. If your team can do this you will win. People can get around the map fast so have a strategy to stop gankers will win you the match, especially if you get the first 3 towers down.

Don't play mage to start IMO, play a tank or ranger. I think they are easier to pick up and understand the game with.

MrMatt555

Quite enjoying my time with this game so far.

Tried one co op vs A.I match in the open beta as Greystone before heading into pubs with sparrow

I LOVE SPARROW.

This card system is wack, though and I'm not sure if the map layout warrants a traditional route for heroes to head (i.e. top lane - fighter, mid lane - mage, -bot adc/supp)

I went mid as sparrow..

Also how viable is the jungle?

Will keep playing til i get sparrow up although im hoping they add more assassins...I'm hoping to jungle soon but dont like the sole assassin hero.

Quite enjoying my time with this game so far.

Tried one co op vs A.I match in the open beta as Greystone before heading into pubs with sparrow

I LOVE SPARROW.

This card system is wack, though and I'm not sure if the map layout warrants a traditional route for heroes to head (i.e. top lane - fighter, mid lane - mage, -bot adc/supp)

I went mid as sparrow..

Will keep playing til i get sparrow up although im hoping they add more assassins...I'm hoping to jungle soon but dont like the sole assassin hero.
The jungle is very viable. While Kallari is the only one called an assassin, Khaimera is definitely an assassin as well. Grux and Sevarog are also great junglers.

What does it mean to be a "jungler"? I've been hearing it a lot. Never played a MOBA before this. Sounds like special roles I'm unfamiliar with.

Mindlog

*Replies while I was doing stuff :D
Not sure if we have a community page. May not hurt to start one.
what card abilities affect Iggy's towers? only energy penetration?
I'm not sure pen even works because the turrets do true damage or something like that. I'm foggy on what I remember hearing. Other than leveling the only real boost to turrets is Tainted Magick. The turrets and your ult apply poison stacks very rapidly. Really helps against regen characters like the old Rampage ult and the current stacked Khaimeras always running around.

I've tried Drink of Spirits, but it seems like mostly a waste so far.

What works for me: Health, Mana, Armor, Cooldown

I went mid as sparrow..

Laning is tricky. Most good matches will have a laning phase, but it's so easy to get across the map with travel mode that it disrupts the flow. Brawls are frequent and trying to advance a lane is very dangerous. By your chart top = blue lane and bottom = red lane.

Jungle is perfectly viable to the point that double jungle is pretty common.

The sole 'assassin' Kallari is weak right now. I have no idea why she gets picked so often these days. In my last game I had a Kallari stalking my Iggy trying to kill me. She kept cloaking and trying to ninja, but I just kept ignoring her and pushing the lane. When she'd attack I'd always do more damage to her than she did to me. She eventually got tired and wandered off into the Jungle.

I pretended to lane for a bit then ganked her.
What does it mean to be a "jungler"? I've been hearing it a lot. Never played a MOBA before this. Sounds like special roles I'm unfamiliar with.
A Jungler is a character that earns CXP/XP primarily though the neutral creeps in the middle of the map instead of the creeps in a lane. They're typically expected to maintain the harvesters and show up to scare off or kill enemy laners when necessary.

I haven't been through this whole video yet, but Britik is usually on point.
Paragon Tips - How To Jungle Like a Pro and Jungle Domination
Although that video starts off fairly atypically. He's saying the right stuff so far.
Paragon - How To Jungle
This video is based on an old build, but it's going into better detail about the basics. (Jungle camps now max at level 3. Except OP.)

MasonOfWords

Neo Member

That's really a meta that's specific to League, not a generalized moba thing. Dota has far more fluid laning, and Paragon is likely following that model.

Top Bottom