• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paragon Open Beta Thead | PC x PS4

Mindlog

Hap. Dip. What.
Why did I never even bother trying the mouse even though I know the keyboard works -_-

The ADC dream is back!

Been playing a lot until No Man's Sky came out but I'm closer to a come back. I really love the new Grux skin, I'll like to get it but I've never spent a single cent in a moba game before and I'm not sure if I want to start now... I'll go back to the game, play a little while and I'll see if I'm still invested.

I have faith in Epic crew doing their best with the game, it's been improved every time imo.

bbd23

downloading now

should be interesting coming from dota. going to watch a bunch of hero videos and tips before going in. should be fun learning something again!

Played a bunch of co-op vs AI yesterday, and the game is pretty fun. I'm just trying to get enough reputation/money for card packs, because I've got some deck ideas.

Games still take way too long for my liking, but I'm glad I decided to give this a try.

Mindlog

I saw someone open up 20 packs yesterday hoping for a minor guard.
whomp. whomp.

It's really hard for new players to build a deck sometimes and even the more seasoned ones can be put in bad spots. Hope something is sorted quickly. Maybe slightly improved starter decks?

New hero reveal tomorrow.
CqEN7UlWAAA9Nv3.jpg:large

I saw someone open up 20 packs yesterday hoping for a minor guard.
whomp. whomp.

It's really hard for new players to build a deck sometimes and even the more seasoned ones can be put in bad spots. Hope something is sorted quickly. Maybe slightly improved starter decks?

New hero reveal tomorrow.

They teased him during the live stream yesterday. The dude is Shrek with drums

Mindlog

Wish I knew what that was like :(
These days I normally back at 3 for the ward or key.
Then I look around at my collection of cards and try to build what I can.
I1z9mVh.jpg

(Not pictured a minor strike, pierce and 9 minor health.)
rgGH17L.jpg

sadbunny.picture

I just accidentally deleted the game from my PS4 when I was about to party up for the first time after the beta opened. Now I don't get to play tonight. Fuck.

Mindlog

Really loving Steel. Just got a pretty satisfying Double kill with him tonight. https://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=mRTAkh_R9PI
Iggy no! Nice drunk.

I'm going to miss Iggy when he gets nerfed into the ground. Tanking and lane pushing is what the duo do. I don't have tainted magic and the other cards that would let me do real damage. It was end game and we still had all our T1 towers. Don't nerf Iggy!

Until then. I did a thing.
Lane pushing coming along. I changed my mind like 100 times in the run-up to my first fight, but I decided I could take on two with how I was built, my CXP/XP lead and how they were built.

I would not have engaged had I noticed the TwinBlast in my minimap.

Demoskinos

Iggy no! Nice drunk.

I'm going to miss Iggy when he gets nerfed into the ground. Tanking and lane pushing is what the duo do. I don't have tainted magic and the other cards that would let me do real damage. It was end game and we still had all our T1 towers. Don't nerf Iggy!

Until then. I did a thing.
Lane pushing coming along. I changed my mind like 100 times in the run-up to my first fight, but I decided I could take on two with how I was built, my CXP/XP lead and how they were built.

I would not have engaged had I noticed the TwinBlast in my minimap.

Oh man tank iggy. Did you spec exclusively into health? Cause goddamn.

The folks at Epic Games revealed their latest hero: Narbash, the support drummer!

The update page lists him as a physical damage "Support Caster" with an affinity to green and white cards. I want to see if I can build this guy as a bruiser; tanky DPS. He has a stun projectile, two auras(one movement speed, one health regen), and his ult causes an AOE slow followed by a knockup.

Narbash comes out on August 23rd. I look forward to playing him!

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
New Hero looks fucking awesome!

This game doesn't get enough love on neogaf >.<

New Hero looks fucking awesome!

This game doesn't get enough love on neogaf >.<

It's a moba that needs more power than a potato to run, im sure it'll become more popular when hardware gets cheaper.

As for the ps4 crowd. It's more popular than Smite on twitch at least.

Mindlog

Oh man tank iggy. Did you spec exclusively into health? Cause goddamn.
1) Health
2) Armor - I had well over 200 phys armor during that fight and iirc their phys damage characters had almost no penetration. I could see pen getting a buff in the near future. Building the right amount of pen is tricky.
3) Mana
4) Wards

Almost all of my 5 kills were from using myself as bait and ganking a ganker. The rest were from warding their Jungle and ganking their Junglers. When in teammfights I tried not to take kills because CXP/XP come very easy for Iggy.

Narbash looks like a great support character. Cert should have fun if he does that hero race, but the times when he is forced to solo queue might be rough.

xezuru

I have no idea what to think of this game after a day of the beta, definitately the direction I want mobas to go, more action oriented, and definitely an improvement to Monday Night Combat and probably Battleborn, but at the same time the controls still feels janky like it's still a random Unreal Mod somebody made.

Anyone have a good site or something for information on this game, things like recommended build order, if I should upgrade vs buy new item and all this shit there's literally no wording on.

docbon

Mid game DCs bring me much sadness.

Still managed to pull off a win with three through a super creep pile up, but damn that took too long.

That aside, I really like the feeling of movement in this game. Riktor is my jam.

Yeah, Narbash looks awesome. Probably going to end up playing him heavily, depending on how I take to him. I love playing support, but I don't like Muriel.

TarNaru33

Banned
Did they do something about the amount of time each match takes to end? I been playing and average times seem to be 30 mins at the min unless the team matchup is completely one-sided. 30 mins min for a match is too damn long, many of these take 50 mins and more. It is the only downside of this game for me right now.

Also not sure if I like the way they changed Sparrow from her original

Mindlog

I have no idea what to think of this game after a day of the beta, definitately the direction I want mobas to go, more action oriented, and definitely an improvement to Monday Night Combat and probably Battleborn, but at the same time the controls still feels janky like it's still a random Unreal Mod somebody made.

Anyone have a good site or something for information on this game, things like recommended build order, if I should upgrade vs buy new item and all this shit there's literally no wording on.
PC or PS4? Turning up the sensitivity on PS4 made a big difference for me. I'll still be setting up my mouse when I have the time.

The Paragon Reddit is a decent resource. We also try to help around here, but not sure if any of us are Platinum or anything like that.

As a rule of thumb you want to try and build items completely early. A 6 point completed item give you more bonuses and a power spike compared to spreading those points out. Some cards like 'Offensive Maneuvers' can get around that. I tend to grab my ward very early and I don't have the cards for 6 point items anyway.
Did they do something about the amount of time each match takes to end? I been playing and average times seem to be 30 mins at the min unless the team matchup is completely one-sided. 30 mins min for a match is too damn long, many of these take 50 mins and more. It is the only downside of this game for me right now.
From what I've seen the consensus is that matches are too long right now and that's due to a combination of the health/armor meta and travel speed.

Travel speed changes will change the game so much that it's still hard to get a feel for where it's headed. Having lots of fun. The hero race next week means free card packs for everybody.

Sooo, I was about to give it a try, and it said it was going to take 5 minutes to find a match. Are there some matchmaking settings I should be tweaking?

Finaika

Also not sure if I like the way they changed Sparrow from her original

Yeah the matches are way too long.

Otherwise the game is quite fun and polished.

I've been playing this a bunch this week, and I'm liking it. I've already got a handful of heroes that I'm leveling up in order to get all their rewards, but right now I'm strictly playing co-op vs AI. I don't feel up to playing real versus.

So far, I really like Sevarog, The Fey, Iggy & Scorch and Feng Mao. I've already got a decent amount of cards so that I can make good decks for a couple of heroes, but I'm wanting a card crafting system. Some of the cards I've been eyeing have really been eluding me, and they're not even "rare" class cards.

Mindlog

Maybe I don't need 5,100 health. Putting more mana back in Iggy.

Had a game where the other team kept trying to TDM mid. A smart Rampage took red lane and killed the core by itself.

Nice.

Deku Tree

Anything I should know before booting this up on PS4? I don't want people to hate me because I never played a game like this before.

Is it just me or is it strange that there is only one map? My first MOBA.

Also, I find the card system very confusing.

One map per MOBA is pretty standard, though they said they were open to the idea of more maps in the future.

I found the card system confusing at first as well. All the placeholder art kinda contributed to the confusion i thought. I just suggest you stick with the recommended cards until you grasp it all.

1 map is normal for a MOBA. If you think about it, any other map that is made will play the exact same way as Agora, so resources and time are better used making the game better balance wise and adding content.

I expect another map down the road, but it will be awhile.

Anyone else really looking forward to the removal of travel mode? I can't wait. The matches take too long because it takes 5 to 6 seconds to run from lane to lane. That isn't how its supposed to be. Removal of travel mode will force people to lane. No more 5 man gank squads leaving two lanes empty at a time, and still having time to get to the empty lanes to punish the opponent for doing his job of laning.

I don't think the removal will be in the next patch, but hopefully the one after.

Anything I should know before booting this up on PS4? I don't want people to hate me because I never played a game like this before.

I would stick with Co-op versus AI until you get a feel for things. There is a Solo mode where you can try out the different heroes to see which playstyle is best for you. They also have gameplay videos for each hero to get a better understanding of their role/what their powers do.

For in game advice, remember that dying only serves to level the opposing team, so if you feel you won't survive a skirmish, there is no shame in running away. Don't risk dying to score a kill - forcing them to retreat can be just as effective. Remember that the goal of the game is to push forward to their core by destroying the towers, not to get the most kills.

Speaking of towers, remember not to attack an enemy player while there are on a tower platform. The laser beam will ignore your minions and target you, resulting in a very swift death. It can be easy to panic and try to fight then if they try to engage you while you're at a tower, but it's best to back down and at least take the fight away from the platform, as the tower will kill you pretty quickly.

Pay attention to your map, also. It will show you where the enemy players are and where your teammates are. Sometimes enemy players will try to sneak past your group and attack unguarded towers. If you're not careful, your team can end up on the defense pretty quickly if you allow too many to fall. And once again remember, getting the kill isn't always important. Sometimes simply acting as a deterrent can be just as effective. They don't want to die just as much as you don't.

And finally, remember to have fun! Hope to see you in game.

Mindlog

Anyone else really looking forward to the removal of travel mode? I can't wait. The matches take too long because it takes 5 to 6 seconds to run from lane to lane. That isn't how its supposed to be. Removal of travel mode will force people to lane. No more 5 man gank squads leaving two lanes empty at a time, and still having time to get to the empty lanes to punish the opponent for doing his job of laning.

I don't think the removal will be in the next patch, but hopefully the one after.
Most of the people that went to the Epic event left very happy with where the game is headed. Naturally they would be happy with a free trip, but it's hard not to read the enthusiasm they came away with.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask. It took me a bit to get used to as well.
You can use mouse and keyboard on PS4 @_@
Also, build wards. Wards are great.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.

Play Co-Op mostly, learn map lanes, jungle route
AI co-op isn't just simpleton bots, they do put up effort, they will try to gank or combo their ultimates
Just pick a Hero, watch their tutorial, use one of the 2-4 decks premade and go at it

Card system is easy, it looks crazy, but once you get the hang of it, you really chase after crazy builds

Case in point

You can get a max of 60 Card XP aka CXP
That yellow meter with a number fills up is that, you collect ember (yellow balls) from minions, Hero enemies, destroying towers, putting up harvesters, killing jungle minions, destroying enemy harvesters

You have 6 slots, 2 passive, 4 active
You can have a deck be all Passive and slot them in
Passive is just the ability once unlocked on card no more need to worry about, while active, there's a cool down for where you put the card to reap its full benefit

At the start its how your play style meshes with your Hero and how fast you earn ember

For example say My Murdock

I start out with
1 Healing Potion (2 uses), 1 Mana Potion (2 uses), 1 Token Cast (+6.5 Energy Damage)

Now I want to earn 6 CXP, ASAP
Cause I can equip Meltdown card (3points) with it 3 cards that are 1 point each
Why?, now I have a full card and its extra bonus bestowed upon me

Then I repeat again for 6 CXP, ASAP for Micro Nuke card (3Points) and 3 1 point cards

So within say 5 minutes I have 2 cards already fully completed, pushes up my power damage + bonuses from completing 2 cards

Once I start getting higher CXP, those 6 point cards get replaced with better cards with bonuses or points adjusted to push my bonus or stats higher

Before I had to wait for fucking ever to reach 12CXP to get 1 card done
3 for the card, and 3 points each into the slot
Yes, I did become more powerful, but I gave up huge time and effort for 1 bonus, while others had 2 bonuses going and starting their 3rd while I just started my 2nd

So you want to build a deck that fits that Hero and what you want most out of it
Yes RNG and accumulating the amount say the pros have will take time and luck

Some of the starter decks and intermediate decks already pre-made can be trial and error to what to put in points into first and slot in

My Murdock from earlier with his first 12CXP, has Energy Damage, Crit+, and free bonus of ATK speed from the cards

Deck building is fun, I'm struggling to get certain Heroes and their decks just right
Say Gadget, I go MP, Cooldown Reduction, Health

With her I can stay out on the map forever, takes awhile to burn through 1400MP

Mindlog

Great tips all around.
Also if someone does really well and you want to know how just watch the replay. Even buzzing through it in fast forward will give you an idea of what you should be doing.

I had no clue how important last hits and killing jungle creeps was until I watched a replay to figure out why I was falling so far behind in CXP.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I had no clue how important last hits and killing jungle creeps was until I watched a replay to figure out why I was falling so far behind in CXP.

Yeah don't spam your basic attack, your wasting time/effort accumulating CXP

Hit your basic attack at the cusp of minions almost dying and net you the kill
Takes practice and adjusting to it

Many players in Co-Op spam their basic attack and you see little ember orbs on the field, they don't even pick them up sometimes

Also Jungle minions go up in level too
Used to be level 5, now they go up to 3
Higher their level, more CXP netted. More health and hit a little harder.

If your a jungler say a Khaimera, Rampage, Grux you want to farm each side and help the lane that can use some push back
If you're a Caster/Ranger, by mid point to late game, most Junglers are close to maxed out, then you can swoop in quickly and pump up some CXP quickly to boost yourself

I got a penalty warning for disband after i locked my hero... epic fix this s**t

I got an AFK warning after a game because I lost internet halfway through, but rejoined the match 1 minute later. I was out for 1 minute, rejoined, and got a warning. Hoping that's just a bug.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I reckon a slow to travel mode of around 20% whilst in the Jungle and in the transition lane would fix the overly eager gank squad appeal with 4 fighter meta.... the animation could change to a predatory jog of sorts: what you guys think?

Top Bottom