• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Merch |OT| Chewie, We're Broke.

My buddy and I are going. I want a BB-8 sphero and a couple of figures, and he wants a book.

Anybody know how many books are supposed to hit?

sphagnum

Banned
My buddy and I are going. I want a BB-8 sphero and a couple of figures, and he wants a book.

Anybody know how many books are supposed to hit?

5 (plus a billion guide books, sticker books, etc.): Aftermath, Lost Stars, Smuggler's Run, The Weapon of a Jedi, and Moving Target.

Calcium

Banned
I suspect it'll move very similarly to the Sphero itself; you can find tons of videos of it all over the place: http://www.sphero.com/sphero. I'm just waiting for a preorder link myself...

Yeah, I was looking at a few Sphero videos earlier today. I'm just wondering if attaching the BB-8 head on top will hinder it at all. If it can look like BB-8 and still function like a regular Sphero that would be pretty impressive. I saw a small clip of the RC version and it didn't look like it worked very well.

Yeah, I was looking at a few Sphero videos earlier today. I'm just wondering if attaching the BB-8 head on top will hinder it at all. If it can look like BB-8 and still function like a regular Sphero that would be pretty impressive. I saw a small clip of the RC version and it didn't look like it worked very well.

Since they were the builders of the actual tech.... I am thinking they will get it right.. but I would love to see how it works. I am curious about the holographic images and messages, sounds... things like that!

Faiz

5 (plus a billion guide books, sticker books, etc.): Aftermath, Lost Stars, Smuggler's Run, The Weapon of a Jedi, and Moving Target.

Some of these are YA books right?

Edit: ugh... Not even YA. They're Junior Novels.

Edit 2: to be clear, Aftermath is the only "adult" market novel. Lost Stars is Young Adult. The rest are junior...

spookyfish

Back in the day, there were vast aisles of Star Wars toys. Shopping at Toys R Us was like walking into heaven as a kid. I hope TFA brings this back.

de738f90af41ec56b60dfcbe49847b30.jpg

My childhood in a photo.

Except it was Lionel Play World for me.

Hex

Banned
My childhood in a photo.

Except it was Lionel Play World for me.

In Jersey I have memories of both.
Here in Florida it was like Candyland because Toys R Us and Lionel Playworld were literally right across the street from each other.

Slime

Banned
I'm tempted to get the BB-8, but I'm holding off and crossing my fingers for a 1:1 scale version. It would probably cost half a grand or more, but it would be cool as fuck. I don't think I'd be able to resist.

sphagnum

Banned
Some of these are YA books right?

Edit: ugh... Not even YA. They're Junior Novels.

Edit 2: to be clear, Aftermath is the only "adult" market novel. Lost Stars is Young Adult. The rest are junior...

Don't let the categorization fool you. They're not books for little kids, they're basically just shorter general audience novels.

Also the "young adult" Servants of the Empire series is much more nuanced and complex than the adult novels. The story is what matters, not the age definition.

//ARCANUM

While I would love to see it happen..I was at my local shop when the weekly delivery hit yesterday and nadda.
It would be all Faeit or Bols by now, unless they plan to Fed Ex it out Thursday which while risky and unlikely has been done before by Wizards of the Coast in the past.

Local gaming stores might not be getting it. Could be a Target exclusive like Star Trek Catan was for so long. Also, this isn't a proper expansion, it is a modified version of the core set.

womp

star-wars-3.jpg

What a time it was to be alive. I have so many great memories associated with all those toys. Even to this day I can tell you the circumstances of acquiring many of them and the joy that comes from thinking about it. You truly had to be there to understand.

Shame my 8 year old doesn't like Star Wars. :(

Can't wait for video of that BB-8 Sphero.

My Walmart is so incompetent. They have blocked the sale of all star wars Toys. I tried buying a hot wheels toy Ghost ship and it was not allowed. It is not part of the force awakens Toys at all. I bought a bunch of these ships 4 days ago, but I wanted a second one to paint for my roleplaying game, but they refused to sell it to me. They were on the clearance rack and everything.

-griffy-

Banned
I'm generally wary of buying into products before I know it's related to a piece of work I genuinely love, but damn the Sphero BB-8 is tempting.

Faiz

Don't let the categorization fool you. They're not books for little kids, they're basically just shorter general audience novels.

Also the "young adult" Servants of the Empire series is much more nuanced and complex than the adult novels. The story is what matters, not the age definition.

I don't disagree with you in general, but my past exposure to "junior" novels, particularly in the old EU, has led me to dismiss them in general.

I'll take your word for it for now that I'm unfairly writing the newer books off and try to look into them more closely in the future.

//ARCANUM

We don't know for SURE if that PR is legit. So the Sphero BB8 might still work with android.

edit - look at the back of the box. it shows app available on google play. pretty sure the PR is fake or missing info and that this WILL work on android:

Setzer

Awesome! Thought not supporting Android would have been a big mistake for them but turns out the PR was incorrect. Can't wait to get this now!

//ARCANUM

Awesome! Thought not supporting Android would have been a big mistake for them but turns out the PR was incorrect. Can't wait to get this now!

yeah that would be super stupid of them to just not make an app for android. Looks like all the android users are safe! though their wallets will be sad :(

Hex

Banned
So any stores have limited stuff?
Posters, limited figures?
I remember back in the ep 1 days getting the Lave Vader at Target.

Sphero's app works on most Android phones. The cheap little throwaway Androids probably won't run it, but 95% of those out there are fine.

Rootbeer

Banned
My Walmart is so incompetent. They have blocked the sale of all star wars Toys. I tried buying a hot wheels toy Ghost ship and it was not allowed. It is not part of the force awakens Toys at all. I bought a bunch of these ships 4 days ago, but I wanted a second one to paint for my roleplaying game, but they refused to sell it to me. They were on the clearance rack and everything.

I think a lot of stores are doing this. My local Target has removed *ALL* star wars toys from shelves except for the ones on clearance. I think they are doing whatever they can to block any unwanted sales as they begin to stock shelves with the new product just barely more than 24 hours from now. The store may have been instructed to remove all SW items to have them be a part of the reset and they just hadn't done it yet.
Sphero's app works on most Android phones. The cheap little throwaway Androids probably won't run it, but 95% of those out there are fine.
If the 4S can run the app then I think android compatability once the Google Play app is available won't be an issue. That is a pretty old ass phone by today's standards (around 4 years)

Top Bottom