• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GAF POP |OT| of Diversity, Hidden Talent, and Stan Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gang Bang is great up until the dubstep breakdown. Is stealing from Britney really a thing that Madonna does now? Anyway, so after the dubstep breakdown comes the DIE BITCH bit which takes the song from great to stupid. I skip that part.

Britney invented the dubstep breakdown. HEARD IT HERE FIRST, FOLKS.

Meanwhile, I've just discovered the amazing Japanese three-piece, PERFUME. So goooood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edyARJq9sgM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_ifx-Dmv9g&ob=av2n

Perhaps Caca can garner some "inspiration" from them like she did with SNSD...

Your faves wish they could match Perfume live

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sbByFI9sTg&feature=related

That's not a show, it's an EXPERIENCE *.*

I want to see them live :(

tumblr_lf8y1mtE211qbgmkso1_500.jpg

royalan

Beyonce's 4 is fabulous. Never has an album grown on me so much.

I'm not going to bother defending it though, last thing I want is to be associated with the Hive.

The only two songs I liked on gut-first listen were "Party" and "End of Time".

Since then, I've grown to like (ok, love) only one other track: "I Miss You". I love how restrained she sounds on that one. One of the more experimental R&B songs she's ever recorded.

On the whole, though, I still think 4 was a garbage album. Boring, forgettable and schmaltzy. But I will give Beyonce credit with at least attempting to do what Madonna should have done.

4 was Beyonce looking at the current R&B/Pop world as it was and attempting to create something transcendent. Something reverent and uniquely her. Something fit for an icon of the genre. And while I think 4 was overall a failure in this respect, it does have some nice moments and I overall applaud the effort (if not the woman herself).

THIS is what Madonna should be doing. Creating iconic albums that are completely irreverent of current artists or trends, and why? Because she's fucking Madonna and she SETS the trends. Instead, MDNA ends up sounding like Madonna just took a quick scan of the current Pop landscape and exclaimed "I can do that too!"

Koodo

Banned
Beyonce's grown on me in general. Her voice has, anyway.
Her vocals on the album are stunning. She sounds raw and completely into the lyrics.

I was listening to some of her earlier solo stuff and she sounded flat in comparison to her current self. Gerl has grown up.

The only two songs I liked on gut-first listen were "Party" and "End of Time".

Since then, I've grown to like (ok, love) only one other track: "I Miss You". I love how restrained she sounds on that one. One of the more experimental R&B songs she's ever recorded.
My favorites initially were I Care, I Miss You, Best Thing I Never Had and I Was Here. I was more or less indifferent towards the rest

Now I jam to the entire album, with the exception of Party (a tolerable road bump). The whole thing is just so smooth and laid back. My additional faves are now Start Over, Love On Top, End Of Time, and Countdown. LAWD HAMMERCY, COUNTDOWN. I did not like that thing initially but now it's pure adoration. I'm not sure what happened there.

Oh, and Schoolin' Life is simply life. What an amazing track.

I don't typically listen to R&B, so I don't know how this stands in the grander scheme of things or whether it's a disappointment for the genre or not, but it's just right for me.

royalan

I like 4 quite a bit.

aerUQ.png

Definitely the best of her career.

Her solo debut is still my favorite...and I don't even mean that as undercover shade, as I think her debut just happened to be a fucking amazing Pop&B album. Dangerously in Love had just the right amount of Top-40 ready hits and "I don't see this working on radio, but it's still an interesting song" album filler.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
ANYWAY, I'm attempting my hand at putting together a CD with some of Madonna's best remixes from the last 10 years. I'd like some recommendations as I'm sure I've missed a few. And yes, I'd like Confessions to be part of it :p

"Miles Away" (A Crowd Electric mix)

"Revolver" (Tracy Young vocal edit)

Considering how strong his work usually is, I've always been really disappointed in the remixes Price did on her stuff as Jacques Lu Cont. There isn't a single one I like.

Meanwhile, I've just discovered the amazing Japanese three-piece, PERFUME. So goooood.

You should check out Capsule, too! Same producer, so fun and energetic.

Mumei

Her vocals on the album are stunning. She sounds raw and completely into the lyrics.

I was listening to some of her earlier solo stuff and she sounded flat in comparison to her current self. Gerl has grown up.

Vocally she's developed a lot. I love these parts of Lost Yo Mind.

Her solo debut is still my favorite...and I don't even mean that as undercover shade, as I think her debut just happened to be a fucking amazing Pop&B album. Dangerously in Love had just the right amount of Top-40 ready hits and "I don't see this working on radio, but it's still an interesting song" album filler.

I love listening to her sing songs from her Destiny Child / early solo years more recently, because it takes the great songs (and those tend to be the songs I like best of hers, though her more recent stuff has grown on me) and combines them with her vocal growth.

The I Am... Yours concert is a good example. Love this performance. And I also like these.

My favorite Beyonce vocal is "Why Don't You Love Me?" - boundless energy, charisma, and sass. And the music video is divine.

I thought 4 was a mess though, the whole thing was amateur hour save for "Lay Up Under Me" gerls

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Britney invented the dubstep breakdown. HEARD IT HERE FIRST, FOLKS.

was there a mainstream pop song with a dubstep breakdown before hold it against me? i'm pretty sure blackout was the first mainstream pop album to use dubstep sounds.

but in any case what i meant to say last night was that the reason i find the end of gang bang unlistenable-to is that firstly madge's voice just tips from angry to comical and for no reason at all it's got random F1 car sounds in the background. it sounds like something a 12 year old might make the first time he found a sound editing program.

they could have made the ending amazing, but instead it just sound faintly comical.

ANYWAY my post easter resolution is to stop bitching about MDNA.

DMeisterJ

Banned

Agreed. I can still listen to Dangerously in Love all the way through and think, "This is an amazing album". And the title track to that album was mesmerizing. Dangerously in Love still give me absolute life to this day. The lyrics are so real and emotional. I mean,

I am in love with you,
You set me fee
I can't do this thing
called life without you hear with me

Cause I'm dangerously in love with you
I'll never leave
Just keep loving me
The way I love, you loving me

is an amazing chorus.

royalan

Phono sis Brit did start the dubstep breakdown in pop music.

True, proving once again that a commercial look means shit without creativity and a willingness to take risks and carve out your own trends. Something Britney has in abundance.

Haters stay pressed like Sunday dresses...

cTZ7Y.gif

Kyon

Banned
Now that i look back again Brit did start alot of trends in Pop that people just think came out of no where lmfao. My fave stays being original. :D

royalan

Vocally she's developed a lot. I love these parts of Lost Yo Mind.

I love listening to her sing songs from her Destiny Child / early solo years more recently, because it takes the great songs (and those tend to be the songs I like best of hers, though her more recent stuff has grown on me) and combines them with her vocal growth.

The I Am... Yours concert is a good example. Love this performance. And I also like these.

Beyonce's live performance game can't be clockedt by anyone currently in the industry, but with that said she does something that makes a lot of her live performance near-unlistenable to me: she loooooves singing with that DAMN reverb/echo filter turned ALL THE WAY UP on her mic. It makes it sound like there's always 3 other Beyonces harmonizing with her. It's grating to me, because her voice doesn't need all of that.

Oh, and overdoing the runs, as illustrated in point #7 in that vid I linked above. She's just as bad as Christina in that regard.

Agreed. I can still listen to Dangerously in Love all the way through and think, "This is an amazing album". And the title track to that album was mesmerizing. Dangerously in Love still give me absolute life to this day. The lyrics are so real and emotional. I mean,

I am in love with you,
You set me fee
I can't do this thing
called life without you hear with me

Cause I'm dangerously in love with you
I'll never leave
Just keep loving me
The way I love, you loving me

is an amazing chorus.

confession: i've never listened to a beyoncé album all the way through

I don't even have to think hard about it: "Me Myself and I" is in my opinion still the best song Beyonce's ever recorded. Love that mid-tempo groove and those LYRICS, and vocally Beyonce just connects with the song. And she's never looked prettier than she does in the video for it.

Now that i look back again Brit did start alot of trends in Pop that people just think came out of no where lmfao. My fave stays being original. :D

rmcrJ.gif

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Has Marius taken the receipt that was issued to him to the store to get a refund?

iiHWkRmI53Iy5.gif
So are you saying SNSD copied your fave as well, you can't have it both ways

Phono sis Brit did start the dubstep breakdown in pop music.
Thats like saying Gaga brought dance music back to radio with Just Dance, both are true statements

A mess
ic8mWNEnGqANZ.gif

sabia que la chive le gustaba los latinos, she better stan
i4DBBTsIXFzfp.gif

Kyon

Banned
Thats like saying Gaga brought dance music back to radio with Just Dance, both are true statements

Gaga and original in the same sentence or starting any trend for that matter
ny15.gif

Gaga in Britney's league
rihannablush.gif

EDIT: lol i have like nothing better to do today dont mind meh

Wow, this morning's playthrough of Femme Fatale makes MDNA seem all the more geriatric and lost. The student eclipses the former master.

All hail the Olympian Heights of the Heavenly Mother, Bringer of Pop Excellence.

Mau ®

Wow, this morning's playthrough of Femme Fatale makes MDNA seem all the more geriatric and lost. The student eclipses the former master.

All hail the Olympian Heights of the Heavenly Mother, Bringer of Pop Excellence.

TBH Femme Fatale makes any other pop album (sans Blackout) look amateur in comparison.
brit18.gif

Kyon

Banned
Im trying to get into it but I cant find the right starting point
PyZBi.gif

Ok! Well you came to the right person.

2ne1

Gonna start with them because they have a more westernized appeal than any group in Kpop so you might like them. Gonna go by their order of release instead of just posting random videos.

Fire

I Dont Care

Follow Me

Go Away

Cant Nobody

Lonely

I Am The Best

UGLY

A few missing but yeah try that for now

EDIT: This is their only "sexy" song and its great lol here's a live perf.

Pretty Boy

Ok! Well you came to the right person.

2ne1

Gonna start with them because they have a more westernized appeal than any group in Kpop so you might like them. Gonna go by their order of release instead of just posting random videos.

Fire

I Dont Care

Follow Me

Go Away

Cant Nobody

Lonely

I Am The Best

UGLY

A few missing but yeah try that for now

EDIT: This is their only "sexy" song and its great lol here's a live perf.

Pretty Boy
I listened to "UGLY" because the title was calling out to me. That chorus might be the most exuberant self-loathing I've ever heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom