• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer thinks this is Xbox's best generation so far

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conduit

Banned
He is talking about xb1 surpassing sales compared to xbox360 and not games library?

Last time when MS said that Xbone outpacing X360 was more than a year ago. I'm pretty sure that's not a thing right now, otherwise they would screaming out loud about this. Man, they celebrate when Xbone outsold PS4 by 1500 during one month in UK last year IIRC

c0de

Me being active in discussion, is relevant to this being blown out of proportion how?

You keep the thread alive, are responsible for more than one page of posts alone and pull replies like a magnet. You are a huge part of what you think you are addressing.

spannicus

This has nothing to do with what phils saying at all and it's hilarious to see people here intentionally spinning it that way to push their agendas. I think he's saying no red ring fiasco profitability out the gate, and more of their vision with stuff like Xbox live anywhere all being realized on Xbox 1. In that vein he's absolutely right plus Xbox one isn't doing bad or unsuccessful it's just not as successful as PlayStation 4 I don't get why people want the brand to fail so badly when it's not. Sure the first party output is not the same as early 360 to some people but it's still a great output. Plus we should wait and see what they have in the pipeline for e3 going forward into next year and beyond but why be rational let's destroy him cause console wars!
Well said

icespide

Banned
Me being active in discussion, is relevant to this being blown out of proportion how?

just maybe take a step back and only reply to like half of what you normally reply to. that would be a huge improvement. just some advice, you've been working overtime in several threads the last few days and it's quite tiring

Crayon

I have this feeling their corporate overlords gave them much fewer resources to work with. Which may be why they canceled games which looked like they would over run, forced out games before they were ready, and leaned so hard on establish franchises. It works into the narrative I was spinning since this Gen started that they lost some fights internally and are on a bubble. So they need cheap sure fire successes to keep going and being that risk averse and poorly resourced will mean they will fall further and further behind.

If Scorpio doesn't hit big, they might in fact shrink into a MS PC publisher.

I felt this way once they started talking about Xbox and windows convergence a few years ago. They are still trying but also setting up to make that change.

Kinda agree to disagree for me.

I still love XboxOne over PS4, especially when it comes to the OS, Online Services, Achievements and more.

Sadly they failed with the Hardware and with the colossal mismanagement of all their pillar IPs like Halo, Gears, Fable.

Halo is in a really really bad shape for me and probably a lot of other former Halo fans. The mismanagement constantly happening at 343 is baffling. On top of that unfinished and unpolished game releases. Halo Wars 2 is the most recent release and is riddled with bugs, feels rushed and infinished.
The last full finished and polised Halo release happened in 2010 with Halo Reach from Bungie!

Gears 4 was okey. As a Horde player this game is a big step back from the OG Trilogy. On top of that the garbage Microtransactions. But for their first game it was good.

Fable... where to start. Loved the first one (another reason why i moved to Xbox from the PS2), Fable 2 great, love that too. Fable 3 still great not as good as the first two and then the downfall.
Arcarde games, Kinect garbage and a free2play game that failed and got cancelled. Whats worse? They closed Lionhead for no reason, not even giving them another chance.

Another piss against the wind for me was the cancellation of Scalebound, i was really excited for it :(

I really hope that Crackdown 3, Sea of Thieves and State of Decay 2 will deliver this year. Im looking forward to all three. And with Scorpio on the Horizon im really excited to play the best console version of Multiplatform games on it.

And still i hope that Microsoft can take some risks again and release more new ips. I would love to see a new big Franchise from Microsoft that succeeds like Halo did back in the day.

massucci

Banned
Copying my opinion from the MS studios thread:

It all comes down to the criteria.

Xbox and Xbox 360 were being sold at a loss.
Xbox 360 was the dominant platform for a long time but ended up losing worldwide to Ps3 anyway, due to PlayStation brand being stronger everywhere else but US.

If Phil is using revenue, units and margin as KPI's perhaps he is right? Xbox One was not sold at a loss since launch, has been selling more units than 360 at same point in lifecycles for several straight months and revenue increase from Dlc and Xbox Live may matter to the math. Remember that all R&D costs of Xbox Live were probably recouped by now but still a hassle during 360 years.

If he's speaking first party output or even brand awareness, than he is delusional.

But I think he's using my first option.
I continue to not understand what profit has something to do with the twitter response. Spencer replied to someone who thought this xbox generation it's the worst from the gamers perspective. Good for him if it has good profit but it's like Activision would say the same in response to a bad comment about the quality of their games.

I definitely think Xbox is way more focused this generation and has a very clear vision of where it wants to go, even if it's something the more traditional hardcore gamer doesn't like. My hunch is that if you're expecting Scorpio to be unveiled alongside a wealth of new AAA first party titles/New IP then E3 will be rough for you. Indie title partnerships, few risks and a focus on tent pole franchises that adhere to the games as a service playbook are the new hotness for them.

I also don't think there's anything wrong with Microsoft's current focus and trajectory. As a gamer, it's definitely not for me but I don't think trying to compete with Sony and Nintendo on raw first party diversity is worth the effort for them. That ship sailed too long ago and if the Xbox brand wants to flourish, it needs a focus that works now. That's just how it is.

Koobion

Hard to believe anybody would actually feel this way if they have played all 3 systems. And the original tweets are dead on; Sony is on a completely other level.

The Big N

Banned
I love Phil and everything hes done to correct MS's mistakes during e3 2013, but as someone who's owned every generation of Xbox this one feels like the worst. I still don't own 1 game that justifies the $330 I paid for the console.

Halo 5 - never finished the campaign, played maybe 10 multiplayer matches
Gears 4 - enjoyed the campaign, but felt horde took a step back. Multiplayer hasn't really changed in that series since the first one.
Halo MCC: This was the game I bought a Xbox One for and it didn't work for over a month.

The third parties finally started delivering last year, but my most played game is still Destiny and I owned/played it on 360 the first year it was out. This entire generation has felt like a bunch of ports and remasters, but Sony has started rolling out some new IPs. Microsoft needs something besides Halo and Gears to carry the mantle.

ElNino

Hard to believe anybody would actually feel this way if they have played all 3 systems. And the original tweets are dead on; Sony is on a completely other level.
Not sure what you mean there. Plenty of people have all three systems (or at least two of them) and have no problem with the Xbox platform.

sh1fty

Have enjoyed my time with Halo 5, Quantum Break, Tomb Raider, Inside, Sunset Overdrive, Mass Effect 3 BC and Forza Horizon 3. At no point in the past 14 months since I bought my Xbox One have I felt like this was the best generation yet or that I'd stop primarily playing on PS4. I've never even bothered to buy Xbox Live Gold.

My XO is is kind of just there for when a neat single player exclusive pops up. I've had enough fun with it to feel justified in my purchase, but overall definitely a lackluster generation for sure.

I have this feeling their corporate overlords gave them much fewer resources to work with. Which may be why they canceled games which looked like they would over run, forced out games before they were ready, and leaned so hard on establish franchises. It works into the narrative I was spinning since this Gen started that they lost some fights internally and are on a bubble. So they need cheap sure fire successes to keep going and being that risk averse and poorly resourced will mean they will fall further and further behind.

If Scorpio doesn't hit big, they might in fact shrink into a MS PC publisher.
Converging Will actually mean the opposite of being provided more resources not less smh lol windows 10 is also their platform supporting it is not a hinderance. They wouldn't give them less resources to make games for both platforms Jesus where are we on sensible discussion at this point.

Chitown B

Have enjoyed my time with Halo 5, Quantum Break, Tomb Raider, Inside, Sunset Overdrive, Mass Effect 3 BC and Forza Horizon 3. At no point in the past 14 months since I bought my Xbox One have I felt like this was the best generation yet or that I'd stop primarily playing on PS4. I've never even bothered to buy Xbox Live Gold.

My XO is is kind of just there for when a neat single player exclusive pops up. I've had enough fun with it to feel justified in my purchase, but overall definitely a lackluster generation for sure.

See and I feel the same about the PS4. So it's mostly just personal preference. My PS4 is my Uncharted box, with the occasional other exclusive. I don't like really anything with a japanese word in the title, so that cuts out many of the other exclusives for me. I do pay for PSN+ though.

massucci

Banned
Not sure what you mean there. Plenty of people have all three systems (or at least two of them) and have no problem with the Xbox platform.
I don't think no one here has never pretended to say xbone it's problematic, by the way. You can rejoy without problems. But call it the best Xbox generation eh.

Coxy100

Banned

Exactly more or less how I feel.

This is the first generation that my Sony console has become my main console.

Jmille99

I continue to not understand what profit has something to do with the twitter response. Spencer replied to someone who thought this xbox generation it's the worst from the gamers perspective. Good for him if it has good profit but it's like Activision would say the same in response to a bad comment about the quality of their games.

I think this is where a lot of split in this thread is coming from. My guess is Phil is talking about sales, but it seems like such a dodge when the original Twitter comment was about exclusives vs its competitor and not MS profits. Yes, its still selling, but it doesnt solve the problem that the X1 has had far less exclusives for its system than Nintendo or Sony; and that was tbe whole point behind Jasons posts from what I can tell.

SOR5

Seems as how I get nostalgic memories just looking at my launch model Xbox 360, I'd say he is quite wrong.

Look there's a lot of opinions in this thread but when you're ranking by nostalgic feelings for a console released in late 2013 that might be a bit unfair

Patapwn

For me, it's that the forza/gears/halo well has run dry. Those games don't entice me anymore, it's done. And I think a lot of people are feeling the same way

They dedicate so many resources to those IPs the exclusive xbox lineup is going to come up short by default. It will never happen but in an ideal world in line with my tastes they would sack those franchises for the next few years at least.

The xbox one is a mistake in the xbox history.

Even with their missteps and communication nightmares, it's perhaps the most strategically significant among all their console launches, even more so than the original Xbox, something which I believe Scorpio will end up benefiting from greatly. And, no, I'm not referring to sales, I'm talking strictly from a strategic standpoint, and the way it ties back into or complements other microsoft products and services. There just needs to be improvement on the games front (they are by no means doing terrible, we just don't know what else they may have unannounced) while they continue to move forward finding creative ways to use the versatility of windows and some of the other stuff they have going on to benefit xbox and vice versa.

The Big N

Banned
This thread makes me appreciate Nintendo for being Nintendo when it came to developing the Switch. Its always nice to have some different options.

I love my Xbox, but cmon Phil, be honest with yourself...
Backwards compatibility is ace, some of the exclusive games are amazing but its not the best Xbox ever. Admit it Phil the 360 still is king.

Its a great console but it needs more games, more variation. You've taken risks and some have paid off, others have tanked but this whole gen is lost to Sony. There is no embarrassment to it, you need to up your game .

LowSignal

360 was better because you had the choice to play anything unlike on the XB1 where you don't even have the option to play the niche games or indies that don't show up at all. X1 is good but not 360 level, I think the X1 reveal did more damage to the brand than the RROD. I think Phil took the ship in the right direction but there is still a lot of work to do.

Profit/health of the business has everything to do with it. Phil is responding to the need for Xbox to shift to being a living room PC. If the XB1 was putting up Wii U numbers then Scorpio being a pivot towards the market Valve failed in would be a real posibility. XB1S is selling well and they're doing great in the US and UK so why would they shift focus because PS4 has great exclusives?

Tecnniqe

Banned
Mixed feelings about it.

On one hand the 360 was king and I played the hell out of it and their games. They killed it with 360.

On the other hand as a PC player this is the best Xbox generation this far.

From a value/earning standpoint they might have better profits and who knows what scorpio and things like Crackdown and Sea of Thieves will bring.

A lot of potential and I'm not sure what side of the fence I stand on in regards to "winning" and "best" as they sure as hell, personally, do more to "win" me over on PC than anything their competition ever did/do.

QMNAZSj.gif

bitbydeath

This has nothing to do with what phils saying at all and it's hilarious to see people here intentionally spinning it that way to push their agendas. I think he's saying no red ring fiasco profitability out the gate, and more of their vision with stuff like Xbox live anywhere all being realized on Xbox 1. In that vein he's absolutely right plus Xbox one isn't doing bad or unsuccessful it's just not as successful as PlayStation 4 I don't get why people want the brand to fail so badly when it's not. Sure the first party output is not the same as early 360 to some people but it's still a great output. Plus we should wait and see what they have in the pipeline for e3 going forward into next year and beyond but why be rational let's destroy him cause console wars!

It's obviously also falling behind MS's expectations though otherwise they would not have reigned it in as much as they have money/funding/investment wise.

Three

I definitely think Xbox is way more focused this generation' and has a very clear vision of where it wants to go, even if it's something the more traditional hardcore gamer doesn't like.

You've got yo be kidding me. This generation was full of about faces and bullshit for the xbox. They had no idea where they were going with the product.

vcc

Converging Will actually mean the opposite of being provided more resources not less smh lol windows 10 is also their platform supporting it is not a hinderance. They wouldn't give them less resources to make games for both platforms Jesus where are we on sensible discussion at this point.

I don't think the leadership see gaming as a profitable avenue. They poured a ton of money into 3 efforts and the return has been lack luster compared to everything else they do. A lot of the 1-2 year does look like they've been stingier with resources. Gaming just might not be a big part of MSs long term plans.

borges

Banned
I completely agree. Xbox One is by far, and I mean, by far, the Xbox console I enjoyed the most. Things I love so far:

-> Backwards Compatibility
-> Some of the (console) exclusives are lovely: Forza 6 first and foremost, FH3, Gears 4, Sunset, and Halo 5 MP.
-> The new dashboard. Specially the new one (im part of the insider program). The way you can control the entire console from the menu bar is fantastic.
-> THE CONTROLLER. THE GOD DAMN CONTROLLER.
-> The S redesign. Maybe because typically slim versions of consoles tend to be ugly IMO, I was not expecting such a beautiful beast.

I have to say that IF i would consume japanese games, then yes, probably X1 is dissapointing. But well, its not my case.

massucci

Banned
I love my Xbox, but cmon Phil, be honest with yourself...
Backwards compatibility is ace, some of the exclusive games are amazing but its not the best Xbox ever. Admit it Phil the 360 still is king.

Its a great console but it needs more games, more variation. You've taken risks and some have paid off, others have tanked but this whole gen is lost to Sony. There is no embarrassment to it, you need to up your game .
That's the more worrying thing even looking to the Scorpio. Spencer seems reluctant to any major risk and it's all about better multiplat than everything else. I know a lot of people tried to justify him, but what he did with the Kamiya exclusive it's not encouraging.

ElNino

I don't think no one here has never pretended to say xbone it's problematic, by the way. You can rejoy without problems. But call it the best Xbox generation eh.
It's less about this being the best Xbox generation, and more about PS4 lapping them. Owning all of the consoles this gen (I'll include Wii U in this gen), none have really stood out for long. Each have had periods where they had games that occupied more of my interest but overall playtime has been similar, with a slight edge towards the Xbox due mostly to the family.

I think this has been the best hardware generation for Xbox. Software wise they haven't had as many big break through hits, but I don't think anybody has either.

daTRUballin

Honestly, I don't think this was really thread worthy. Of course Phil would say something like this. What else would he say? It feels like every time he tweets any sort of obvious PR statement, we get threads like this that frankly go nowhere.

icespide

Banned
Honestly, I don't think this was really thread worthy. Of course Phil would say something like this. What else would he say? It feels like every time he tweets any sort of obvious PR statement, we get threads like this that frankly go nowhere.

most threads about tweets aren't actually thread worthy

Helznicht

The Xbox team doesn't have a choice in the matter. The CEO moved them under Windows back in early 2014 and explicitly said their purpose is to increase the appeal of Windows 10, using their first-party studios and Live service as one integrated play across all Windows 10 devices.

And if they would just embrace that they would have a nice differentiation vs the competition. But the XBOX team's half-hearted implementation provides zero value to the customer, Win10 PC or Win10 Xbox.

To be fair in some sense, Xbox One started out strong-ish at first. Sunset Overdrive is great, Forza Horizon is the best racing series this gen, it's the only console with backwards compatibility, and before we played them or they were cancelled, their future line up seemed strong. But the reality in 2017 ain't great. Sea of Thieves is maybe the only upcoming (announced) XB1 game that's interesting. Maybe they have a strong roll out of games for the Scorpio reveal. We'll see. I don't know how to feel about the Xbox brand becoming irrelevant and leaving Sony without competition (it rarely seems Nintendo is in competition with the other two).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom