• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

Soul Lab

Dashing backwards or forwards at the last minute has always worked for me, but the timing is very tight. I suppose jumping would work too, but I don't really do much of that with Spring Man.

You're probably better off blocking instead, but mapping that to L3 is fucking dumb and I hate using it :p
you can throw a ramram almost in a straight line too so there's that

one thing that annoys me to hell is the guard dash. why does the attacker still have frame advantage when you guard dash. when it's called counter it should be a counter meaning the attacker shouldnt have time to dash again. ffs

also fuck slapamanders

Am I the only one playing this game solo only ? I am really liking it. Also it is weird for a new IP but this game evokes a strong sense of nostalgia for me. I don't know if it is the Osamu Tezuka visual influence, or the small number of stages and characters coupled to the fresh take on the genre but I am the 13 yo again me playing Street Fighter 2 when I play ARMS. :)

Speely

Banned
Am I the only one playing this game solo only ? I am really liking it. Also it is weird for a new IP but this game evokes a strong sense of nostalgia for me. I don't know if it is the Osamu Tezuka visual influence, or the small number of stages and characters coupled to the fresh take on the genre but I am the 13 yo again me playing Street Fighter 2 when I play ARMS. :)

I feel you. It's really satisfying...

... until I hit a temporary gpu roadblock in Grand Prix. Then I log on to party mode just so I can feel like I am good lol.

MDave

Noticed there are little tick icons you get on the character select screen when doing the 1 v 100 mode. Beaten it with all the characters except for Master Mummy, it's really difficult with all the fire type gloves knocking him down, especially the revolver and phoniex gloves. Then Hedlok with 6 Megatons ...

thedan001

I'm not sure I understand, how long the hidden hp?

Hmm, do you just mean how long they are disabled for?

Whoa, you mean they get knocked down and recover and are still disabled? that's crazy.

Regardless of damage eh?

So Dan probably wants to know how long after one takes a hit that it goes back to full ("hidden hp" as he puts it) and takes another 3 hits again.

Testable to some extent by doing two hits, waiting, then doing a third.

I apologize if I wasn't clear, but yes to goremagala talking about the yellow caution sign on your arm, how long before the yellow caution sign goes away, and arm is normal.

My question was: how long does it take to recover? Is it a regen or full recover?

Cpt Lmao

They need to sort out the AI in this game. I put myself against a level 6 Spring Man as Ninjara, with infinite HP, no timer, no rush gauge and no items. Could barely land a hit over ten minutes.

I used to do a similar thing in Soul Calibur 4, and could always put up a great fight against the Edge Master CPU. Here I can't do shit.

sirap

you can throw a ramram almost in a straight line too so there's that

one thing that annoys me to hell is the guard dash. why does the attacker still have frame advantage when you guard dash. when it's called counter it should be a counter meaning the attacker shouldnt have time to dash again. ffs

also fuck slapamanders

Yeah I've never gotten guard counters to work reliably. Maybe I'm just too far, but 9/10 my hits never land. I've abandoned blocking altogether anyway, at least until they let us map it to one of the shoulder buttons.

ksamedi

Man I love punishing grab spammers in this game. Had multiple ranked fights with one, snd he didnt stand a chance. I hope it teaches him to switch up and use other tactics as well.

Chauzu

Been on a good run today, so starting to climb in rank 9. My current loadout with Ninjara is Cracker / Seekie / Parasol and I feel they give me plenty of options for different scenarios atm. Seekie is good at disrupting the opponents rhytm, since it's one of the hardest arms in the game to just ignore, you always have to play around it. Explosion into guaranteed 400 damage super is nothing to laugh at either.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
They need to sort out the AI in this game. I put myself against a level 6 Spring Man as Ninjara, with infinite HP, no timer, no rush gauge and no items. Could barely land a hit over ten minutes.

I used to do a similar thing in Soul Calibur 4, and could always put up a great fight against the Edge Master CPU. Here I can't do shit.

lol yeah I went through LV 5 GP without too much problem, decided how I could do on LV 7 GP and couldn't land a single punch! I eventually got some in, but still got destroyed.

Okay so if the Japanese Helix had a slow play style consisting of big hitboxes and high priority, what does my Helix style consist of, speed and quick jabs when the enemy is vulnerable?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Okay so if the Japanese Helix had a slow play style consisting of big hitboxes and high priority, what does my Helix style consist of, speed and quick jabs when the enemy is vulnerable?
And evasion, and building up to your first super as early in the first round as possible.

Has anyone figured out how rank matches get determined? I'm Rank 5 and haven't gotten matched with anyone below 8, it's always between 8 and 10. Rank 6 is the highest I've achieved. So, either the algorithm needs some adjusting or I'm the only person ranked this low.

Has anyone figured out how rank matches get determined? I'm Rank 5 and haven't gotten matched with anyone below 8, it's always between 8 and 10. Rank 6 is the highest I've achieved. So, either the algorithm needs some adjusting or I'm the only person ranked this low.

I think if it can't find anyone it finds the next best thing

MrMephistoX

It kinda feels like SFII or Punch Out to me in the sense that you have to learn their patterns strengths and weaknesses and you feel like you beat a character rather than a mindless AI. At least starting at rank 4 difficulty.

I'm bumping up against gatekeepers at rank 8. I need to get beat down in the GAF dojo a bunch.

Is that what we're calling THOSE people that prevent entry or staying in a rank?

That's what people were calling me while Jorpen was getting to 15, the max rank gatekeeper (and secretly Mr. Yabuki himself apparently).

Had a great ranked match even though I lost. I got bodied in the first round, but figured out a tendency of the opponent, so I adjust my game and dominate in the second round but towards the end of the second round I can see he/she is starting to catch on. Then the third round comes down to the wire and basically who executes better. The best games are where the play is evolving over the course of the match.

This game is a great standard bearer for what can make fighting games fun, a genre I probably wouldn't have touched before but I definitely have more interest in now.

Camjo-Z

Finally beat Level 7 Grand Prix with Spring Man. They might as well just call it "Rush Attack & Timer Scam Mode" because that's only way you'll ever win against characters like Ribbon Girl who have tons of mobility to complement their input reading abilities.

mstevens

Beating Ninjara on grand prix 4 finally was one of the least fun "accomplishments" I think I've ever had in gaming. Didn't even feel good about it once it was over. I can't imagine him on rank 7.

3DShovel

This is easily my favourite fighting game. No weird stick and button combinations to memorize. Skilled punches and movement are the name of the game here.

When I beat someone, it's because I outclassed their movement and overcame their punches.

When I get killed by a grab spammer, it's because I didn't react/punish correctly (angry me will say otherwise lol).

So fun. Can't wait to play some more tonight. Party Mode has definitely grown on me. Less sweaty than ranked for sure. Managed to get to +5 earlier. Starting a round with 75% less health and still winning is an awesome feeling.

I'm currently stuck in Rank 6 as Twintelle. Any advice?

This is probably too vague to give anything other than general advice. What arms do you like? What's your usual play style? I don't think I'm good enough to give any great advice but if you ask something more specific I'm sure some of the better players here can help you.

Biske

It's annoying that I cant try out the ARMS combination I want with Twintelle because they still havent unlocked....

Just keep doing this random bullshit hoping I can finally get it...

Neoxon

This is probably too vague to give anything other than general advice. What arms do you like? What's your usual play style? I don't think I'm good enough to give any great advice but if you ask something more specific I'm sure some of the better players here can help you.
I use the standard shocking glove that Ribbon Girl uses, the triple shock glove that Mechanica uses, & the sideways triple shot glove that Spring Man (thought it was Ninjara) uses. I usually try to charge up my gloves so I can shock the enemy & grab them, unless the plan goes off the rails. As for supers, I try to use them as a means to counter their punches.

I'm not that familiar with Twitch, but I guess the general buzz with the streamers and players can make it on Twitch

It doen'st stop Smash, Splatoon or Pokkén in the Wii U

Give it some time since its a new IP.

Especially when content starts rolling. Honestly I have had fun with a fighting in a long time till this game.

I use the standard shocking glove that Ribbon Girl uses, the triple shock glove that Mechanica uses, & the sideways triple shot glove that Ninjara uses. I usually try to charge up my gloves so I can shock the enemy & grab them, unless the plan goes off the rails. As for supers, I try to use them as a means to counter their punches.

Electric arms are usually the slowest in class, triblast is slower than tribolt.

Biske

Like seriously, I don't wanna get fucking plus arms over and over that I don't fucking use.

The way stuff unlocks in this game is fucking annoying.

Laieon

I'm having a lot of fun as a casual player. My girlfriend (who has 0 interest in games) is also somehow magically into it. We were out and about in Seoul today and whenever we were on the subway she kept asking to play it. Thanks Nintendo, you've managed to get to me to accomplish something that I've been trying the past 2 years to do.

I'm definitely having less fun with this game as time goes on, I don't think it has legs for me

Like seriously, I don't wanna get fucking plus arms over and over that I don't fucking use.

The way stuff unlocks in this game is fucking annoying.

In the grand scheme of things, neither the character nor ARMS matter, it's the player behind it all. That's no insult to you, EVERYONE, including myself, could always use improvement. I know something common people do is strip the game to the very basics with Spring man or B&B with basic gloves like toasters and end up forcing themselves against many match ups and scenarios like that until they become good at it in general. Once they've got the fundamentals down, when they finally come back to the characters and arms they want, they'll be new and improved and a brand new person.

This is assuming you're seeking self improvement of course.

Chauzu

I still feel I improve every day and I face new strategies online and I enjoy the competetive element and as long that remains, I'll be returning to this on a daly basis. I appreciate the extra workout too!

Ogodei

Dissapointed in this. Well....I'm having fun but the difficulty ramp is weird. Wanted my 6 year old daughter to play it and she was having fun on AI level 1 but after like the 2nd dude, it just gets too hard for her.

It's really meant to be a multiplayer game in that regard. Fighting game AI (outside of Smash Bros and its ilk) has always been punishing and sort of unfun.

Ninjara players are the worst.

Every time I come across one I pray it's not another grab spammer. It's too bad because he's actally really fun to play against when the other person isn't being a butt.

I still feel I improve every day and I face new strategies online and I enjoy the competetive element and as long that remains, I'll be returning to this on a daly basis. I appreciate the extra workout too!

Me too. I can feel myself getting swole.

Chauzu

Ninjara players are the worst.

Every time I come across one I pray it's not another grab spammer.

Me too. I can feel myself getting swole.

Dude, my arms have always been super weak, and they are feeling very heavy these last few days. Give it a month and this game will help my arms get into their best shape in my life.

Dude, my arms have always been super weak, and they are feeling very heavy these last few days. Give it a month and this game will help my arms get into their best shape in my life.

I can relate. My arms are basically noodles, like Min Min's.
First couple of days playing this I had trouble sleeping because my arms were hurting too much.

Top Bottom