• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A's Catcher Bruce Maxwell becomes first MLB player to kneel during anthem

Snaku

Banned
Much respect to him, though I find it amusing as a non-American that fucking kneeling would be considered disrespectful.

Also, lots of 'patriots' are friggn' hypocrites about "respecting the flag", when they violate the flag code regularly in various ways. Standing for the flag is more a suggestion of conduct than an explicit violation of the code.

BarbossaGuidelines.gif

Good on this dude. Good on his team mates for supporting him. Good on his organization doing the same.

Maxwell was born in Wiesbaden, Germany, while his father was stationed there in the Army.
:O I grew up there! Lindsey Air Station, woooooooooooooooooo!

Funny you should say that, because according to Wikipedia:

Wikipedia on the United States Flag Code said:
The United States Flag Code establishes advisory rules for display and care of the national flag of the United States of America. It is Chapter 1 of Title 4 of the United States Code (4 U.S.C. § 1 et seq). This is a U.S. federal law, but the penalty described in Title 18 of the United States Code (18 U.S.C. § 700) for failure to comply with it is not enforced.

In other words, violating the code is technically breaking the law, it's just not enforced.

Funny you should say that, because according to Wikipedia:

In other words, violating the code is technically breaking the law, it's just not enforced.

Umm... from your link...

The United States Flag Code establishes advisory rules for display and care of the national flag of the United States of America. It is Chapter 1 of Title 4 of the United States Code (4 U.S.C. § 1 et seq). This is not a U.S. federal law. In 1990, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in United States v. Eichman that prohibiting burning of the U.S. flag conflicts with the First Amendment right to freedom of speech and is therefore unconstitutional.[1]

Edit: Looks like it was changed. Nevermind.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
It's a bit of a downer that only one person on the team did it. I appreciate that others on the team support it, but the best way to support him is to get down there with him.

After the blatant disrespect that Trump's shown, a good half half of every team out there should be taking a knee as a collective 'fuck you' to his gross rhetoric.

Airola

though I find it amusing as a non-American that fucking kneeling would be considered disrespectful.

Yeah, I was very confused what the title was about. At first I thought it was BLM and thought 'huh, why would someone from BLM go so far as to kneel to show their respect to the anthem?'
Then I took a second look and saw it was MLB (didn't know what that meant). And I was more confused.

Then I decided to open the thread and saw a white guy kneeling and I though, what, a thread on neogaf about a white man kneeling during the anthem, thinking kneeling would be being over patriotic and showing huge respect towards the anthem.

Then I read more and got even more confused to hear it's supposed to be a symbol of protest.

To a foreigner that picture really looks more like someone being overly patriotic there.
Oh well, live and learn :D

TI82

Banned
There was so much hate for him on the conservative subreddit.

Really makes you wonder, they get mad about violent protestors like antifa. And they get mad about this very peaceful protest.

They really are just children that can't handle someone disagreeing with them. Was it like this during the civil Rights and suffrage movements too?

cameron

AP: Oakland's Maxwell kneels during anthem for 2nd straight day
On Saturday, the 26-year-old rookie became the first major league baseball player to kneel during ”The Star-Spangled Banner" before the A's played Texas. Again Sunday, teammate Mark Canha put a hand on Maxwell's shoulder in a show of support like he also did Saturday.

Maxwell received support from NBA Finals MVP Kevin Durant of the NBA champion Golden State Warriors.

”More power to him, man. He's standing up for something great," Durant said across town after the team's second practice of training camp. ”We all respect it, support it and appreciate it."

Manager Bob Melvin:
A's manager Bob Melvin said Maxwell's protest was a courageous act, noting that the decision to become the first player in the majors to adopt the protest came with risk.

”It does take a lot of courage because you know that now the potential of the crosshairs are on you and for a guy who's not as established, I'm sure, and I'm not speaking for him, but I'm sure there were some feelings for him that there was some risk," Melvin said before Sunday's game. ”I do know that he felt better about it afterwards because there's a lot of uncertainty when you take that type of step."

Teammate Mark Canha:
Canha acknowledged trepidation about his decision to support Maxwell.

”I had to think about what I was going to do to show my support for Bruce, for 20 minutes, and even then I was hesitant to do it," Canha said. ”Even then I was like, you know that fear of, I thought about Colin Kaepernick, well jeez — I love baseball, I want to play baseball, I love my job and love this country, I want to be part of this country, but to live in fear," Canha said. ”Just the fact that I had that small amount of fear and that small amount of hesitation, speaks volumes about that we need some change."

Getting noticed was always the point.
That's how you raise awareness.
What's the real bummer is the awareness isn't even be raised like they want to you got people burning jerseys and jackets and saying they aren't gonna watch NFL anymore that's just beyond asinine

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
https://deadspin.com/fans-cheer-bruce-maxwell-in-first-at-bat-since-kneeling-1818770737

In his first plate appearance since he began kneeling for the national anthem, Oakland A’s catcher Bruce Maxwell was greeted with a round of cheers from the crowd as he went to bat in the second inning of tonight’s game against the Mariners.

This came after the marching band for the Oakland Unified School District, tasked with performing the anthem tonight, did so almost entirely while taking a knee themselves.

rjinaz

beautiful. This is how it should be.

The game carries on with no fuss. People are there to see a ball game not to show off their patriotism. At least it was before all of a sudden it's THE MOST IMPORTANT THING about the game. Really there is no need to do the anthem before every game anyway. Maybe it will stop if enough people protest.

For me it was always annoying as a kid and now an adult. I love my country I don't have to sing to a flag in front of others to prove it thank you very much.

Darknight

My god you guys, wish you could hear the amount of salt trump supporters at my job are saying about all of this. Sadly the HR person is on it too so there no one to turn to but its getting fucking annoying.

"Do your job" is what i heard plus other things like "they should get out".

Not shocking, wait for it....not one peep of disgust when the Charlettsville rally happened with the person who got ran over and killed, no one mentioned the sickening Nazi flag being flown or the Neo-nazis who attended. All they say is "anarchists are to blame yada yada".

Like its so obvious to me these people are closeted racists but cant really come out and say it.

Sorry for my rant but I'm glad more and more athletes are doing this. Bring more awareness to the issue and the fact that yes these US Citizens have every fucking right just like your buddies waving Nazi flags and saying "Heil Hitler" in US soil. That is in my view treason, no way to slice it but since the people doing it are white, its ok. Those kneeling are black, so they are less than white, less make them the enemy.

cntr

Banned
I feel like this isn't even being done for the right reasons now it seems they are making it into a fad to get noticed but that's just my opinion
I was just casually reading through the thread and wasn't planning to post, but then I saw this.

Fuck you, man.

Top Bottom