• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A's Catcher Bruce Maxwell becomes first MLB player to kneel during anthem

My comment was not made in a vacuum. It's made within the context of current discourse surrounding this form of protest that has a largely negative response from racist ass sports fans. I'm saying this is hardly anything deserving of derision it will recieve, because it's still centering the flag as something worthy of respect. Fall back.

The hat isn't going to get the attention the kneeling is. He's absolutely going to get a ton of shit for this.

A small step like this is still a huge step.

Maybe he still wanted to kneel as a way of protesting Trump's statements while still respecting the flag. Plenty of us still love and respect this country despite its flaws (and we want it to improve and get better).

Same. As someone whose family is full of veterans and I myself served, I haven't gotten to the point where I can take that step, for as much as I agree and sympathize with the movement.

Imm0rt4l

The derision is 100% necessary and vital to this form of protest. Once that is lost a new form of protest becomes necessary.
Right, I'm not in disagreement there. I'm just saying that I like the trend, but I don't care for sanitizing it in such a way to make is more palatable.

Linkura

Bruce Maxwell is white.

Are we sure he isn't mixed?

From GIS:
Bruce+Maxwell+AqEsc3eoPSOm.jpg

My comment was not made in a vacuum. It's made within the context of current discourse surrounding this form of protest that has a largely negative response from racist ass sports fans. I'm saying this is hardly anything deserving of derision it will recieve, because it's still centering the flag as something worthy of respect. Fall back.

He kneeled. End of story.

I just read a tweet from a #MAGA account expressing the hope that Bruce's military vet father disowns him.
Another tweeter swore that he'd boycott Major League Baseball if this became widespread.
These people are authoritarians who resent even the slightest bit of resistance.

cameron

I think every athlete and.fan.should express whatever they feel, so this isn't a criticism. However - what's he doing here? Hand over heart, facing the flag, lined up with his teammates doesn't really look like any kind of different statement at all.

Right. Personally I think even kneeling is a sort of concessions for football players as it is. This though? It's hardly a protest of anything. It's like flying a flag half mast when really you should be saying fuck this flag.

Both of these are asinine.

Imm0rt4l

I just read a tweet from a #MAGA account expressing the hope that Bruce's military vet father disowns him.
Another tweeter swore that he'd boycott Major League Baseball if this became widespread.
These people are authoritarians who resent even the slightest bit of resistance.
I'm here for the salt tbh

This means it's spreading. This is a good thing. It's only inevitable all leagues will have players doing this. It will then expand within each league

Just proves that even the smallest steps are not made in vain.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Kneeling while still doing hand over heart says to me "I still love my country, but I support the rights of people to protest injustice in its name."

This is still enough to trigger conservative snowflakes.

I think every athlete and.fan.should express whatever they feel, so this isn't a criticism. However - what's he doing here? Hand over heart, facing the flag, lined up with his teammates doesn't really look like any kind of different statement at all.

Right. Personally I think even kneeling is a sort of concessions for football players as it is. This though? It's hardly a protest of anything. It's like flying a flag half mast when really you should be saying fuck this flag.

I agree. Seems like a half-measure. It'll still get some people riled up, though.

Bu But I was told the left are snowflakes!

Oh come on y'all. He's showing solidarity with Colin and protesting against Trump, White Supremecy, Etc. While still holding American values.

Do we have to have a purity test? I mean I'd like to believe he's standing up against Nazism. After all, 50+% voted against Trump.

Either they're liars or there aren't that many of them. Just look at all the boycotts they've tried to do and that have failed. Most recently Trump supporters called for a boycott of It because Stephen King trashes Trump almost 24/7. It's now the second highest grossing horror movie ever in the US, and will likely end up being the highest grossing when its all said and done.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I agree. Seems like a half-measure. It'll still get some people riled up, though.

Half-measure better than no measure. I don't think that's worth criticizing.

It bugs me when people who are well intentioned start moving in the right direction and get their hands bit for not moving quickly enough. Meanwhile all his teammates aren't doing anything. You really gonna focus the heat on him and not the others?

This is awesome. Maybe people will actually give a shit about BLM/racial injustice or maybe even engage in some personal reflection (LOL) when they see more white athletes stand by their black colleagues

This stupid orange dumpster fire is without a doubt the best thing that ever happened to Richard Nixon.

People are already saying they miss W. Just give the turd in chief a few more months and Nixon will look like W. by comparison.

Fat4all

Banned
I feel like the kneel is the important part going forward, especially now that Trump has shown so much vitriol for the action itself

the first thing someone whose able is 'suppose' to do during the national anthem is stand

the kneel is enough, and will hopefully spread

Good. Let them boycott. I'd love to see less idiots and racists going to sporting events.

Oh come on y'all. He's showing solidarity with Colin and protesting against Trump, White Supremecy, Etc. While still holding American values.
You make it seem like protesting against Trump, white supremacy, etc aren't American values.

Half-measure better than no measure. I don't think that's worth criticizing.
And I think it is worth criticizing, but not enough to get too worked up about it.

He was probably nervous and afraid to face scrutiny if he didn't have his hand over his heart. I don't think anyone should criticize how he protested. He still protested by taking a knee.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Kap has said he kneels because of how black people are treated by police, but that he does kneel instead of sitting because he still wants to respect the flag and people who have fought and died for the freedoms it represents.

I think it's about expression, and frustration, and a need to demonstrate. Kap started this out of BLM, but it's not the only issue in America now. There are Nazi rallies, the POTUS is lashing out at people, the GoP are doggedly pursuing a heatlh care repeal while simultaneously telling their constituents that they'll have protections for pre-existing conditions and low premiums -when that's a lie. There's so much going on that people feel like the foundations of the country are being destroyed. It's BLM, but it's also the Muslim ban, white supremacy, the sick and vulnerable.

Trump has definitely caused this, going after sports today, made other athletes realise that Trump doesn't care about the values of sports, of competition, fairness, mutual respect.

cameron

From AP: Oakland’s Maxwell first MLB player to kneel during anthem
Maxwell was born in Wiesbaden, Germany, while his father was stationed there in the Army. He later moved to Alabama, where he attended high school and college. Maxwell’s agent, Matt Sosnick, told The Associated Press that “the Maxwells’ love and appreciation for our country is indisputable.”

“Bruce has made it clear that he is taking a stand about what he perceives as racial injustices in this country, and his personal disappointment with President Trump’s response to a number of professional athletes’ totally peaceful, non-violent protests.

“Bruce has shared with both me and his teammates that his feelings have nothing to do with a lack of patriotism or a hatred of any man, but rather everything to do with equality for men, women and children regardless of race or religion.”

m3k

i like it... its like suppprting african americans, admitting there are problems but being respectful for the good at the same time

I feel like this isn't even being done for the right reasons now it seems they are making it into a fad to get noticed but that's just my opinion

I feel like this isn't even being done for the right reasons now it seems they are making it into a fad to get noticed but that's just my opinion

Not really. It's more like "Hey, you fuck with one of us, you fuck with all of us."

Also, re:NHL -- I wouldn't expect it because there are far fewer PoC than in the NBA/NFL/MLB.

Top Bottom