• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A's Catcher Bruce Maxwell becomes first MLB player to kneel during anthem

Choomp

Banned
Via Deadspin

A's catcher Bruce Maxwell became the first major league ballplayer to join the dozens of NFL pros protesting racial injustice by kneeling during the national anthem tonight before Oakland's game against Texas.

Maxwell, whose father was a career Army officer, tweeted earlier today that viewers shouldn't be surprised ”if you start seeing athletes kneeling in other sports now." The San Francisco Chronicle's Susan Slusser was first to the news, and suggested Maxwell's decision came as a reaction to Donald Trump slamming NFL player protesters as ”sons of bitches" who should be ”fired."

http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/bruce-maxwell-becomes-first-mlber-to-protest-during-nat-1818696557

DKc34ckUMAIQXRI

A's statement on Twitter:
DKc2E64UIAA7SXw.jpg

I think every athlete and.fan.should express whatever they feel, so this isn't a criticism. However - what's he doing here? Hand over heart, facing the flag, lined up with his teammates doesn't really look like any kind of different statement at all.

Two Words

Yeah I don’t follow why he still had his hand over his heart and took off his cap if his intention was the protest the anthem.

Cagey

Banned
I think every athlete and.fan.should express whatever they feel, so this isn't a criticism. However - what's he doing here? Hand over heart, facing the flag, lined up with his teammates doesn't really look like any kind of different statement at all.
Given that (white) people find kneeling so offensive and get so angry when (black) people do it, ya it's a statement.

When it stops upsetting people it'll stop being a statement.

Iolo

Something you might not have noticed is that he was kneeling. It is easy to miss.

Numb

Trump about to jump in and call this deplorable while defending white supremacists having good on both sides

Hand over heart = allegiance to what the flag represents

Kneeling = protest

He's still allegiant to the country but protests aspects of the country, including the statements made by the president. Not

Imm0rt4l

Right. Personally I think even kneeling is a sort of concessions for football players as it is. This though? It's hardly a protest of anything. It's like flying a flag half mast when really you should be saying fuck this flag.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Right. Personally I think even kneeling is a sort of concessions for football players. This though? It's hardly anything. It's like flying a flag half mast when really you should be saying fuck this flag.

It's only hardly anything if it doesn't elicit any reactions or coverage.

Trump's comments made kneeling for the national anthem more then just a protest against police brutality and for racial equality, it's now arguably a protest against trump and his white supremacist rhetoric.

Right. Personally I think even kneeling is a sort of concessions for football players. This though? It's hardly anything. It's like flying a flag half mast when really you should be saying fuck this flag.

Once again letting perfect get in the way of good.

Good.

I would be shocked, absolutely shocked, if it spread to the NHL and that disappoints me.

Well two factors against it. Non whites in the NHL are few and far between, maybe one or two per team, if that.

Aside from that, Americans make up maybe 20-30% of the league? Wouldn't make a whole lot of sense for a Canadian or Swede to kneel.

Overall, I thoroughly agree. Nobody in the NHL will kneel.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
This stupid orange dumpster fire is without a doubt the best thing that ever happened to Richard Nixon.

Loudninja

Right. Personally I think even kneeling is a sort of concessions for football players as it is. This though? It's hardly a protest of anything. It's like flying a flag half mast when really you should be saying fuck this flag.
I am sorry but have some of you even been following this stuff or what?

rambis

Banned
Who gives a shit if he still puts his hand over his heart? Way to miss the point for the sake of pedanticism, I guess?

I imagine this is in support of his fellow athletes after the Trump tweet, and that still having his hand over his heart is a sign of respect for the nation as well. Wasn't Kaep's kneeling also, initially a compromise?

mid83

I feel like some people won’t be happy until every athlete is down on one knee with middle fingers up towards the flag.

Zolo

Trump's comments made kneeling for the national anthem more then just a protest against police brutality and for racial equality, it's now arguably a protest against trump and his white supremacist rhetoric.

Yep. He poured gasoline on a fire.

He's protesting being told not to kneel during the national anthem

Oh please. You basically said this was nothing and you're rightfully getting called out for it. Come correct or don't come at all.

How is telling someone to fuck outta here any different than telling them to fuck off? Don't be sly and try to avoid a ban, say what you really mean.

Syriel

This. I mean, most rational people wouldn't even think of kneeling as a protest of anything if it didn't get the alt-right panties in a bunch.

Outside of the recent Anthem stuff, kneeling for a thing has always been a sign of respect/courtesy/deference/etc.

This stupid orange dumpster fire is without a doubt the best thing that ever happened to Richard Nixon.

So true.

Imm0rt4l

Oh please. You basically said this was nothing and you're rightfully getting called out for it. Come correct or don't come at all.

How is telling someone to fuck outta here any different than telling them to fuck off? Don't be sly and try to avoid a ban, say what you really mean.
My comment was not made in a vacuum. It's made within the context of current discourse surrounding this form of protest that has a largely negative response from racist ass sports fans. I'm saying this is hardly anything deserving of derision it will recieve, because it's still centering the flag as something worthy of respect. Fall back.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
My comment was not made in a vacuum. It's made within the current discourse surrounding this form of protest that has a largely negative response from racist ass sports fans. I'm saying this is hardly anything deserving of derision, because it's still centering the flag as something worthy of respect. Fall back.

The derision is 100% necessary and vital to this form of protest. Once that is lost a new form of protest becomes necessary.

mid83

My comment was not made in a vacuum. It's made within the context of current discourse surrounding this form of protest that has a largely negative response from racist ass sports fans. I'm saying this is hardly anything deserving of derision it will recieve, because it's still centering the flag as something worthy of respect. Fall back.

Maybe he still wanted to kneel as a way of protesting Trump’s statements while still respecting the flag. Plenty of us still love and respect this country despite its flaws (and we want it to improve and get better).

Top Bottom