• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legion |OT| Insert X-Men Meme - Wednesdays 10/9c on FX

Shaanyboi

Banned
Lost a five dollar bet with my girlfriend because she said that the main character was Beast in Beauty and the Beast ☹️

I didn't see BatB, my gf did. But when they played the pre-movie interviews/ads when we went to see Power Rangers, Dan Stevens shows up on-screen talking about Beast, I point am like "Holy shit, he's in that movie?" My girlfriend went wide-eyed, she just hadn't made the connection that it was the same dude.

Watching this now, currently on episode 4 and I have a question probably not really important just my nitpicking but....when does this series take place? The aesthetics scream 70s but there's one scene where they are looking for David so they go talk to his ex girlfriend and she's clearly on a early 2000s iMac, whereas prior to that point all the technology also screamed 70s.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Watching this now, currently on episode 4 and I have a question probably not really important just my nitpicking but....when does this series take place? The aesthetics scream 70s but there's one scene where they are looking for David so they go talk to his ex girlfriend and she's clearly on a early 2000s iMac, whereas prior to that point all the technology also screamed 70s.

The small details are there to purposefully mess with you. I think in the finale someone even mentions e-mail. But numeric details they drop (i.e. It's been x amount of years) indicate it's in the 70s.

The show is intentionally without a clear time period, with several conflicted hints and dialogs.

The showrunners said that it is to reflect David messy perceptions.

My take is that the show is on present day, but we are seeing David's vision of the world, like he is merging what he sees with his memories.

lmao okay episode 7 had me dying when Dave started talking to his british self (Dan Steven's real accent) then he mimicked Patrick Stewart, that whole segment was amazing to include the chalkboard animation.

Also yea I'm almost certain this takes place mid 2000s.

kirblar

The show is intentionally without a clear time period, with several conflicted hints and dialogs.

The showrunners said that it is to reflect David messy perceptions.

My take is that the show is on present day, but we are seeing David's vision of the world, like he is merging what he sees with his memories.
"It Follows" did the same thing- it's designed to make the viewer uneasy and uncomfortable because their brain is subconsciously telling them that things don't make sense.

hydruxo

Yeah, Hawley purposely made the time period vague, because there isn't one. It's a hodge podge of different things from several eras.

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/02/legion-behind-the-scenes-production-design-noah-hawley-michael-wylie-1201784331/
In fact, Hawley took that a step further and in working with Wylie, officially set the rule that there would never be a clear definition of what time period the show took place in.

It was a choice that Dan Stevens said took a little getting to used to on set, as he said to IndieWire during a recent conference call. ”It didn't really seem to matter to [Hawley] and after a while it ceased to matter to us," he said. ”That's kind of liberating and that's sort of where comic books seem to exist, in a funny way."

”[The sets] were as real and playful and mischievous as the scripts were," he added.

By deliberately aiming for a timeless approach, ”Legion" has a singular feel, but there was one element that Wylie clearly found a bit frustrating about this timeless approach — cars. While within the show, they were able to give characters a range of automobiles from the 1960s to today, the production had limits when it came to cars beyond its control.

”We don't ever really go outside," he said, ”Because the regular cars on the street give away our whole theory that we're not supposed to know where we are or what time it is or what day it is or what year it is or what part of the world we're in."

okdakor

Great first season, some fresh air in the genre... But please stop with Mojo, he must make his first appearance in an Excalibur movie, with warwolves hunting Rachel Summers escaped from Mojoworld

Binged this over the weekend while sick as hell. Very well done. It takes the trippy-ness of Mr. Robot and amps it up to the max. I enjoyed how disorienting it was (perhaps aided by my medicine-fueled stupor) and the visuals were excellent. I felt it slowed down a bit towards the end (mostly the
return to Clockworks
), but overall I liked it a lot, and will definitely return for season 2, maybe even check out Fargo.

Special shout-out to my man Ptonomy. I enjoyed pretty much every scene he was in.

Dalek

Getting caught up on this-episode 7 now. This is far and away the best X-Men related media Fox has released. Noah just gets it, man. This show is absolutely fucking brilliant-head and shoulders above any other comic show right now, stylistically.

There are some seriously nightmarish sequences in this show.

Also the casting for every character is perfect.

Joeku

"It Follows" did the same thing- it's designed to make the viewer uneasy and uncomfortable because their brain is subconsciously telling them that things don't make sense.

I just watched the entire series today and browsed the topic between episodes and while seeing people trying to figure out when it was set I was hoping to be the one to come say "It Follows". Damn you.

OT: give Aubrey an award. Goddamn.

Finale was a little limp, though. Still, holy shit at this whole thing.

Season 2 details from the Comic Con panel:

- Deadline: ‘Legion’ Expands To 10 Episodes For Season 2, Adds Saïd Taghmaoui To The Cast
“Theres going to be a lot of things that are going to happen that I can’t tell you,” Hawley teased. “But what I can tell you is that Saïd Taghmaoui, who was recently on Wonder Woman, will be playing Amahl Farouk a.k.a. the Shadow King.”

As the X-Men mythology goes, Professor X, played by Patrick Stewart in the X-movies is the father of David. That being said, one of the hot-button questions of the panel was whether or not we would see him in the series. In the comics, he is an adversary of the Shadow King and the question arose if we would see him in flashbacks of David’s childhood next season.

“I like to call him pops,” joked Stevens. “I was on a talk show with him and he said he was up for it.”

After a series of ambiguous answers and jokes from Loeb and Shuler Donner, Hawley stepped in and simply said, “We are working on it.”
- IndieWire: Noah Hawley Reveals a New Villain, More Episodes, and Teases Professor X
Clement’s character will also be explored further in Season 2, as he and Lenny build on their new partnership in evil.

“Everyone has a secret. So there are more secrets to come,” executive producer Jeff Loeb said. “Hopefully we’re rooting for the right guy.”

As for David, the series’ main character who ended Season 1 trapped inside a tiny flying orb, Hawley was tight-lipped.

“He went on a little ride in a little ball, and that obviously will take him someplace. And he’ll obviously have to find his way back to the others… he said, informatively,” Hawley said, to a few laughs from the crowd.

Of all the places in the world, guess where the wedding I just attended took place

mzGlUVK.jpg

c5aJCok.jpg

That's cool! Did you know beforehand, or did you realize it as you arrived?
Yeah, but when my partner first showed me pictures of the site, I told her those were pictures of the new X-Men show I keep telling her to watch.

The area is beautiful, and I was able to (Episode 8? spoilers)
track down the exact area where Matthew clumped all those soldiers together into a big ball

The interior of the building is wayyyyyy smaller than they represent it in the show. The building is accompanied by a barracks for people to stay in bunk beds, a kid's camp, and a small farm.

It's also between two major cities (Vancouver and Whistler) kind of out in nowhere, so the location scout did a pretty good job finding it. It's super advanced inside, but looks weirdly 70sish and high tech on the outside.

Vic_Viper

Just finished the 3rd episode and I have been having a hard time following the different characters in David's head. I cant tell who is real lol, especially the girl that was trapped in the wall at the end of the first episode. Does this make more sense if I keep watching or is it meant to be hard to follow along?

I watched the first episode the night it came out and have slowly been watching the rest. I wish I liked it more. Just some of the storylines are hard to follow I guess. I want to press on if it starts to come together later on.

hydruxo

Just finished the 3rd episode and I have been having a hard time following the different characters in David's head. I cant tell who is real lol, especially the girl that was trapped in the wall at the end of the first episode. Does this make more sense if I keep watching or is it meant to be hard to follow along?

I watched the first episode the night it came out and have slowly been watching the rest. I wish I liked it more. Just some of the storylines are hard to follow I guess. I want to press on if it starts to come together later on.

It starts out a little scrambled early on in the first half of the season to reflect how David (and everyone else) doesn't really know what's going on just yet. The back half of the season answers most of the questions you're looking for as things come together and David starts to understand things. Definitely keep watching.

Yeah, making sense of what's in his head is pretty much what the whole season is about.

Top Bottom