• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YouTube "pranksters" Daddyofive deny abuse (Up: mom gets custody of two youngest)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disturbing. The whole thing. Even listening to the parents talk (apologize? blame?) fills me with disgust & anger. This is one of those times I really hope the collective, condemning voice of the internet is loud enough and firm enough to make something happen to help get these kids out of this situation safely.

That said, I hope & pray this entire situation doesn't take any really dark turns. Both parents seem about as bright as a dead bulb and unhinged as it is. If they take this whole fallout as 'our lives are ruined'... ugh... I don't even want to think about it. :(

Man, i genuinely feel bad for cody! Sure there's kids in worse situation out there, but there's video evidence here, it's hard not to care!

just listen to what he say :
"why do i have to go through all this just for a stupid prank?"

"go away, and take the camera with you"

"i just want to be left alone, i need to calm down"
man... i wasn't that self aware at his age.... i don't know how to explain this, but it's like he had to grew up quicker just to stand up to his shitty parents...

I really hope someone will do something about it, there's ton of video evidence here....

ColdPizza

Banned
Some of the comments under the video claim that the pranks are abuse, while others say that the parents are exploiting their children for sponsorship and money.

That's pretty much every YouTube channel featuring kids.

BY2K

Membero Americo
What is it with those scumbags always going for the lawsuit tactics when they get called out on thei shitty behavior?

Digital Homicide vs Jim Sterling
Leefy vs Ethan (H3H3)
Now these guys?

I hope they get their kids taken away to better families. I hate people who abuse their families like this, even if it is "for laughs".

I hope something comes out of this. I just want to punch something right now.

No child deserves to suffer for the sake of their parents. Especially for money.

Gallbaro

Banned
A good prank to pull on your child:

Get them into the car like it is a normal school day. Start driving for the airport and wait for them to notice that you are going the wrong way. Surprise, you're going to Disney World! Then you actually go to Disney World and have a beautiful family vacation where they make memories about the best prank mom and/or dad ever pulled.
I've done that a few times...

And then when he expected it, we went to California instead.

ColdPizza

Banned

Get them into the car like it is a normal school day. Start driving for the airport and wait for them to notice that you are going the wrong way. Surprise, you're going to Disney World! Then you actually go to Disney World and have a beautiful family vacation where they make memories about the best prank mom and/or dad ever pulled.

I've done that a few times...

And then when he expected it, we went to California instead.

Notes taken. This is awesome.

Atilac

Of course that's not the only audience watching these videos. The point is, youtube especially has created a large platform with very little quality control and they have a lot of kids, like the one posted in the video who take everything some commentators say as gospel. All of those people are pretty much on the record of saying and doing shitty things all for the sake of the almighty view, and while most don't take it to the despicable level of DoF, it's still a concerning fact. This guy's reaction to the backlash is even exactly the same kind of non-apology, shift the blame bullshit we've seen proliferating all over youtube lately and we have a lot of dumb kids being conditioned to line up to fight to the death for their favorite persona no matter the terrible things said persona has done. That's how people like these guys get 800,000 die-hard subscribers.

Whether you like it or not, talking heads like PDP, etc. have helped open the door to this kind of crap due to their disregard for the responsibility that comes attached to their fame and I expect it to get worse before it gets better.

Quite a long winded response trying to justify painting people with a broad brush. Pewds has nothing to do with the abuse these children face, you are grasping at straws. There is zero correlation between pewds viewers and DO5 except for your prejudiced comments trying to link them. Boogie in particular has spoken about this and the abuse he suffered as a child, similar to cody and the rest of the children. Watching the Philp D videos would have included a clip of Boogie mentioning this.

Imagine what you would know if you did more than just exploit this situation to attack pewds, boogie and their respective audiances. PDP didn't create this situation of disregarding responsibility, avarice did since time began.

OraleeWey

Your average consumer of these types of videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG1R9iSVvo0

Personification of the type that watch PDP, Boogie, etc. Worrying to say the least.

I called it:
I wonder if they're all other kids. Kinda like how those Elsa and spiderman videos always always always end up getting featured in kids YouTube suggestion/feed. Is there a way to view their viewers age demographic?

This was a reply to:
good.

I wonder who these 760,000 people who were subbed to this channel are.
I've never heard of this shit before today.

Dude Abides

Banned
Quite a long winded response trying to justify painting people with a broad brush. Pewds has nothing to do with the abuse these children face, you are grasping at straws. There is zero correlation between pewds viewers and DO5 except for your prejudiced comments trying to link them. Boogie in particular has spoken about this and the abuse he suffered as a child, similar to cody and the rest of the children. Watching the Philp D videos would have included a clip of Boogie mentioning this.

Imagine what you would know if you did more than just exploit this situation to attack pewds, boogie and their respective audiances. PDP didn't create this situation of disregarding responsibility, avarice did since time began.

The point is that youtube people like "Pewds" can reach a large and impressionable audience that they could not previously and there is no quality control.

Can I just post this one tangentially related video?

The End of Our Time on YouTube

This is from a couple who ran a channel about their inter-cultural lives and they made this really tough decision to shut their channel down because they were having a baby and were extremely uncomfortable with the idea of putting a spotlight on their newborn who couldn't consent and would have no idea what was going on.

Just...look at the fucking NIGHT AND DAY difference between these folks and the asshole subhuman garbage from Daddyofive. That is responsible parenting, that is being cognizant of their kids, that is being willing to make tough but mature decisions regarding your internet "fandom" and your own private lives, and above all, being able put your own children ahead of your own well being.

I just wanted this to showcase that not everyone on YouTube is a fucking asshole and that there are people out there who do have their heads screwed on right.

dickroach

I called it:

This was a reply to:

yeah, it makes sense.
kids will get in trouble if they bullied other kids, so they just watch videos of adults doing it instead

there's gotta be some grown ass men watching this video thinking the dad's hilarious though, and that's more disturbing.

Boylamite

These people really boil my piss.
This is absolutely the kind of situation where the kids should be apprehended. These people don't deserve to have a child, let alone 5....

This is from a couple who ran a channel about their inter-cultural lives and they made this really tough decision to shut their channel down because they were having a baby and were extremely uncomfortable with the idea of putting a spotlight on their newborn who couldn't consent and would have no idea what was going on.

Just...look at the fucking NIGHT AND DAY difference between these folks and the asshole subhuman garbage from Daddyofive. That is responsible parenting, that is being cognizant of their kids, that is being willing to make tough but mature decisions regarding your internet "fandom" and your own private lives, and above all, being able put your own children ahead of your own well being.

I just wanted this to showcase that not everyone on YouTube is a fucking asshole and that there are people out there who do have their heads screwed on right.

Those two are who I instantly thought of when I read ColdPizza's comment up above. They're like, the polar opposite of Daddyofive. They had moderate success on youtube and actually quit when kids became part of the equation because they didn't want to turn their lives into a spectacle.

On the other hand we've got Daddy Mike here chasing that viewcount, laughing at his fetal position son crying in the closet and encouraging his kids to beat each other up for the camera.

In their fucked up minds they'll probably blame this poor Cody kid for their downfall and I'm sure he's going to get it even worse now.

Not hard to imagine.
"If you could take a fucking joke you'd still have your xbox! You ruined the whole family."

The whole situation is disturbing and now I'm concerned about what's going to now that their cash cow (videoing emotional/physical abuse of their children) is coming to an end.

In their fucked up minds they'll probably blame this poor Cody kid for their downfall and I'm sure he's going to get it even worse now.

"So we did an interview with Keemstar and everything we've ever done is fake, but we're the real victims here!"

Their defense video was pure Youtube cyanide.

Jeff-DSA

Rednecks with cameras and a high-speed connection. Pretty terrible and I can't believe that anybody could defend what this couple does to their kids. Not funny. Not acceptable.

Rednecks with cameras and a high-speed connection. Pretty terrible and I can't believe that anybody could defend what this couple does to their kids. Not funny. Not acceptable.
I've followed this thread to a certain extent, but not completely. Has there been any sort of gaf "defense force?" Could this be the one thread without one?

red13th

I'm shocked at this. How can someone do what they do to their own child. Absolutely disgusting. I hope measures are taken against them. Poor Cody.

Those two are who I instantly thought of when I read ColdPizza's comment up above. They're like, the polar opposite of Daddyofive. They had moderate success on youtube and actually quit when kids became part of the equation because they didn't want to turn their lives into a spectacle.

On the other hand we've got Daddy Mike here chasing that viewcount, laughing at his fetal position son crying in the closet and encouraging his kids to beat each other up for the camera.

ColdPizza's post is what reminded me of that video as well, haha! Great minds and all that.

Such a gigantic contrast between people doing everything they possibly can to avoid having their young kids on camera because that's just not something that should be done, vs. physically and emotionally abusing them and then shoving a camera in their face as they cry and yelling at them. Some people are just straight up fucked up in the head.

Dice//

Banned

Now now, c'mon. Daddyofive and the Texan in Tokyo situation is different. You can't compare a redneck profiting from youtube ad revenue by beating, or sorry, """pranking""" his kids on camera can compare to a nice couple located in Japan. :p

Shame though, the Texan channel was nice.

Actually, come to think of it, there's a lot of these family channels on YouTube. I don't really get the appeal.

What YouTube really needs, is a way to strip these channels of their monetary funding and get them warned / probation until they stop profiting off mentally and physically abusing others, especially minors.

This is incredibly awful.

Protome

"So we did an interview with Keemstar and everything we've ever done is fake, but we're the real victims here!"

Their defense video was pure Youtube cyanide.
Really though, has any YouTube channel ever made an apology/defense video that hasn't just dug the hole deeper for themselves?

What YouTube really needs, is a way to strip these channels of their monetary funding and get them warned / probation until they stop profiting off mentally and physically abusing others, especially minors.

Couldn't agree more.

Now that this has been exposed, the ball is in YouTube's court to do what they can to make sure these scumbag parents can no longer profit from this (assuming YouTube hasn't already dropped the hammer today).
Then hopefully these assholes will have to answer in a real court for their behavior.

Drain You

Don't know if something like this exists, but maybe there should be some sort of monetary milestones that once they reach their channel is then reviewed or something before payout.

Man... that is some messed up shit right there. There's people who go through abuse like that on a regular basis, and these kids get the added humiliation of being filmed at their most vulnerable?

Goddamn... that shit messed me up. The mix of anger and sadness is all over the place.

mlclmtckr

Banned

Why do all pewdiepie's biggest sycophants call him 'pewds'

Do you think you're his friend or something

KSweeley

Baltimore Sun has published an article, they discovered that a police report was filed in North Carolina against the Martin family and the Baltimore Sun got a statement from YouTube that the videos were actually "removed" and not made private: http://www.baltimoresun.com/feature...age-pranks-children-viral-20170419-story.html

March 20, 2017
Maryland couple's YouTube videos of their children spark outrage

A Maryland couple's YouTube channel featuring now-deleted videos of what they call "pranks" on their children has sparked outrage from viewers, with many saying that their treatment toward their five children has been abusive.

The children appear to be of elementary- and middle-school ages.

As of Thursday afternoon, all of Martin's videos except the explanation video had been deleted.

Martin tweeted Wednesday, "I'm sorry everyone but I have taken down/demonetized all videos my family's safety is more important than fake videos."

YouTube confirmed that Martin's videos that violated the community guidelines were removed from the platform and that all ads were removed from the channel.

The viral outrage began after the parents posted a video titled ”Invisible Ink Prank," in which Heather spilled invisible ink on the carpet. She and her husband profusely blamed the sons, screaming profanities, as the boys dissolved into tears and swore over and over that they didn't do it. The parents begin laughing before Martin tells them, ”It's just a prank, bruh."

Martin did not immediately respond to requests via Twitter for comment from The Baltimore Sun.

Martin has posted similar content in the past to his YouTube channel, which has more than 763,000 subscribers and had nearly 300 videos — many of which garnered over 100,000 views.

In ”Dad destroys Sons Xbox One PRANK!," he smashes an old XBox with a bat and a hammer as his son watches, screaming and crying. The prank was allegedly a lesson for his son's misbehavior in school, he said at the beginning of the video.

In ”Getting Ready for Disney," Martin tells his son Cody that he's the only one of his siblings not going to Disneyland because he didn't earn it and misbehaved, according to Martin's video. In another video, he pretends to kick Cody out of the home and laughs as Cody cries and hides in closets and cabinets.

A police report was filed by the Martin County Sheriff's Office in North Carolina in October regarding the many videos. Rose Elizabeth Hall told police that she was the biological mother of two of the children in the videos, which she reported after they were brought to her attention by a family friend.

Hall showed a video to Cpl. Michael Revels, in which Cody is slammed on the floor by his step-sibling while his father looks on and laughs. In the police report, Revels wrote, ”It is my opinion after watching just one of the many videos posted to YouTube, I think the kids ... are being both physically and mentally abused and does not need to be in the custody of [their] father Michael Martin." The police report listed a Baltimore County address for Martin.

Martin County Sheriff's Office said because the incident happened outside its jurisdiction, the department could not take action.

Baltimore County police said they were reviewing the videos to see whether any were criminal and occurred under their jurisdiction. The police said they first received a referral from another police agency about the videos.

Montgomery County police said they received several calls about Martin, who they said lives in Ijamsville in Frederick County. The Frederick County Sheriff's Office did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Katherine Morris, a spokeswoman for the Maryland Department of Human Resources, wrote in an email to The Baltimore Sun that the department could not divulge whether its staff had met or spoken with the Martin family, but said the department is dedicated to protecting vulnerable children across the state.

”DHR thanks members of the community who come forward to report their concerns regarding vulnerable residents. It is the responsibility of each of us as members of our communities to ensure a safe environment for all to thrive," Morris wrote

TheContact

From what I've read from Reddit, DO5 is planning to sue Phil D.

https://twitter.com/YourselfSuit/status/854987249695375360/photo/1

As much as it sucks to see a family broke up this dad is going to destroy these kids all for money. Now he puts up a sob story about how since all the videos are private they have to sell the kids electronics to survive? Wtf? How about that piece of shit gets a real job and the kids get into a home that will love them and not abuse and exploit them. And really how many electronics do these kids have where it will pay for their rent

KSweeley

As much as it sucks to see a family broke up this dad is going to destroy these kids all for money. Now he puts up a sob story about how since all the videos are private they have to sell the kids electronics to survive? Wtf? How about that piece of shit gets a real job and the kids get into a home that will love them and not abuse and exploit them. And really how many electronics do these kids have where it will pay for their rent

The videos aren't private, they got deleted/removed: http://www.baltimoresun.com/feature...age-pranks-children-viral-20170419-story.html

YouTube confirmed that Martin's videos that violated the community guidelines were removed from the platform and that all ads were removed from the channel.

Dice//

Banned
Daddyofive and the word "Prank"....

19789999.jpg

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Nothing says innocence like trying to delete all of the evidence.
Oh, YouTube pulled it? Nice.

The Ummah

Banned

I had this prank pulled on me by my uncle/aunt at Disney Land when I was a young lad. We stayed for two days, it was awesome. Best pranksters ever.

This shit here, though...no.

Gattsu25

Banned
Baltimore Sun has published an article, they discovered that a police report was filed in North Carolina against the Martin family and the Baltimore Sun got a statement from YouTube that the videos were actually "removed" and not made private: http://www.baltimoresun.com/feature...age-pranks-children-viral-20170419-story.html

Don't quote full articles. Find a a key comment or two and post those leaving the rest behind in the original article. You want to drive traffic to the news site you're sourcing, not deprive them of traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom