• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tiger Woods arrested for DUI

Right but his initial injuries are not really his fault. Back issues stay with you forever, i have some and i know. You can feel amazing for months then out of the blue you cant move anymore. Plus in his sport, his back in pretty crucial.

The guy wasnt just good, he dominated the sport for more than a decade and will still go down in history as one of the best ever. Nothing is wasted there. Injuries are luck of the draw. Youre either injury prone or youre not. His back unfortunately was.

If reports are to be believed, then it is his fault. His former coach claimed that Tiger tore his ACL doing Navy SEALs training back in 2007. And that's really when his health started to deteriorate. Obviously its his own body so he can do whatever he wants with it, but it's why you seem some team sports actively discouraging their players from doing activities that could result in serious injuries.

I think that's where the wasted potential aspect comes in. He did something unnecessary that ended up completely altering the trajectory of his career. He'll no doubt end up going down as one of the greats, but not having that record will prevent him from holding the title as the greatest. Right after Federbot got the grand slam record in tennis people started referring to him as the greatest. There are obviously some that say he isn't, particularly because of his clay court record, but the general consensus seems to be that he is. And that's something Tiger won't be able to get to.

Beardz

From our perspective we can't understand how someone like Tiger Woods is arrested for DUI, right? The argument is always "He has all the money he wants!" Well, that's one of the main problems.

But having "unlimited" money and lots of free time is a recipe for problems, mostly for people that started from the "bottom". The lack of drive, the lack of routine the emptiness you feel because you have "everything" is hard af.

Ah damn, how awful. He used to be my grandmother's idol but unfortunately she witnessed all of his previous downfalls.

Oprah needs to give him an intervention.

M52B28

Banned
I guess this is his last chance.

The media is already going to start smearing him.

Walking though the airport, I saw a news station reporting this as "Breaking News"....

shira

VnDK9jb.jpg
TFW when your ex-wife has a hot twin sister

woods-1496072264.jpg

TFW when the hot twin sister uses her international law firm to divorce you

Griss

This poor fucker can't catch a break. I was never a fan but I hate seeing this. Come on tiger, get it together man.

Griss

I mean, not only did his family life collapse, but the amount of professional humiliation he's endured at this stage is insane.

The chipping yips period, the time at the US Open when he shanked a ball into a bunker no pro ever goes into that has fucking stairs to get into it, and it looked like he was disappearing into the earth as he walked into it, and the crowd were all super sad and quiet and then gave him a pity cheer when he got out of it, then worst of all being reduced to a cheerleader on the Ryder Cup as Phil Mickelson - 5 years older - masterminds a Ryder Cup triumph while playing astonishing golf, and one of the all-time great matches vs Sergio Garcia. Then even Sergio, Tiger's eternal whipping boy for more than a decade, wins the masters with some amazing golf over the last 6 holes while Tiger can't swing a club without injuring his back.

In a sport where you should be able to compete well into your 40s it must just be torture watching all these guys he used to beat with his eyes closed getting all this glory while he can't do the basics since he turned 33. Absolutely legendary rise and fall story.

EDIT: Seriously though, tell me this clip isn't a perfect metaphor for the last decade of his life:
Tiger descending to hell

Outside of this how has he been a fuck up over the last decade?

He liked Pussy....The vast majority of men in his situation would do the exact same thing. He was a child prodigy who managed the escape the normal burnout long enough to have some success as an adult.

Wrong on so many levels. He lost his marriage which cost him $110 million. She got the house, kids, etc. That's obviously impacted him on an emotional and psychological level.

He lost his sponsors.

His game went to shit. Do you believe that's completely unrelated to his personal life falling apart?

I also reject the notion that the majority of men in his situation would do the same. The successful people who want to sleep around without consequences don't get married. See the Derek Jeter model. Nobody cared that he was sleeping with models and actresses since he didn't make a legal commitment.

ColdPizza

Banned
This sucks. When he was on his game he was electric and made for some of the best golf-watching ever. It's sad to see how far he's fallen.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You have to remember he was a pioneer. Remember the Biggie video? Black man dominates golf. He was a role model. He could have been the best ever in a sport that traditionally closed their door to people like him.

He was very close to the best ever anyways.

NYR

Which sponsors?
AT&T
Accenture
Gatorade
Buick (General Motors)
EA Sports
Titleist
American Express
Gillette (Proctor & Gamble)
General Mills
Muscle Pharm
TLC Laser Eye Centers
Tag Heuer

He still has:
Nike Golf Clothing
Rolex
Taylormade
Bridgestone Golf
Kawa motorcycle

The last 3 were signed within the last year or so, so I really goes to show how much he lost. He also had Muscle Pharm after the debacles but they ditched him too, they actually PAID HIM 2.5 million to terminate their brand deal with him, they paid to get away from him.

Not to mention, Nike completely got out of Golf club manufacturing last year, a lot because of the downturn caused by Tiger not playIng or playing poorly, they weren't getting their investment back in the sport even with still having Rory. Very competitive business, even Adidas got out this year, Golf is definitely heading in the wrong direction.

ElNino

Should avoid making definitive statements unless you know definitively.
I think I'm in the vast majority to believe that he will never win on the Tour again. Whether he wants to say he wants to come back and play is up to him, but his body (and swing) are a far cry from what they need to be in order to compete today.

NYR

Should avoid making definitive statements unless you know definitively.
His last surgery a few months ago was number 8 (EIGHT!) for him and the purpose was solely to relieve pain so he could walk and play with his kids. It is a surgery of last resort, saved for pain reduction, not healing.

Name one athlete who has come back from eight surgeries. He may play, but he will never be Tiger again. It isn't about age with him, it's health.

MickeyPhree

Honestly fuck tiger woods. My cousin died in broad day light at a cross walk thanks to a drunk driver. Hope they throw the book at him as hard as possible.

Top Bottom