• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tesla Model 3 will be revealed on March 31st

Status
Not open for further replies.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Mr.Shrugglesツ;238135686 said:
Still a sales tool that's being honest.

yea i dont understand the problem. In what world were you expecting your Model 3 to be remotely comparable to a Model S?

yea i dont understand the problem. In what world were you expecting your Model 3 to be remotely comparable to a Model S?

Exactly. The Model S is like a BMW 7 Series and the Model 3...well... like a 3 series. I assumed this from day 1 when they announced a $35k vehicle.

Honestly it's been exceeding my expectations from what I've seen to this point - however I'm not ordering until I sit in one.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
I'm not stressing about Model S and 3 differences as it delivers on my key-wants:
You're still getting the responsiveness that only electrical vehicles can deliver.
It looks great and I like that it's more compact in comparison to S.
Range is reasonable for a budget car and electrical > fuel switch is needed for our planet.
You have a future proofed car that will eventually be software-upgraded to autonomous self-driving.
Maintenance of Model 3 will certainly be much more affordable compared to S (due to volume of production).

I expect it to be the last car I ever buy as at some point I will switch over to the autonomous-leasing-pool/car-as-a-service future.

I never owned a car, and started using BMW's DriveNOW service, sometimes I land in a BMW i3, the whole concept plus that car feel very futuristic - in a couple of years I hope I'll be able to summon the car to my doorsteps.

gwarm01

I'm probably going to get the RWD model despite owning and loving my AWD Audi. Model S owners have stated that the weight of the battery and low center of gravity combined with the stability control systems means it drives better in rain or snow than any front wheel drive. That should be good enough for me.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I'm probably going to get the RWD model despite owning and loving my AWD Audi. Model S owners have stated that the weight of the battery and low center of gravity combined with the stability control systems means it drives better in rain or snow than any front wheel drive. That should be good enough for me.

Aside from better traction in adverse conditions, another reason to get a Tesla AWD is that with the S and X, the AWD models have had a higher range and better performance than the RWD models.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
how do more motors and and more drivetrain loss in the AWD equal better mileage anyway

because they put a bigger motor in back and a smaller motor in front, when you reach highways speeds they turn the rear motor off, thus saving power by not powering the bigger motor. At least thats my understanding of what they've done.

My wife has a preorder in for the Model 3. She plans on splurging for the battery upgrades, but not sure if she wants to wait on the AWD option or not.
My wife and I had the same mindset. Then we thought, if we are splurging on a battery, why not just get an S. We decided to get an S based off of that fact. We added more options, but in the end, we figured that upgrading the battery, seats and other stuff would put us at the entry level for an S. Granted we got a 75, but we feel the pros of an S out weighs the cons of not having one.

gamma

My wife and I had the same mindset. Then we thought, if we are splurging on a battery, why not just get an S. We decided to get an S based off of that fact. We added more options, but in the end, we figured that upgrading the battery, seats and other stuff would put us at the entry level for an S. Granted we got a 75, but we feel the pros of an S out weighs the cons of not having one.

I think Musk himself said a low-end Model S is better than a fully decked out Model 3.

because they put a bigger motor in back and a smaller motor in front, when you reach highways speeds they turn the rear motor off, thus saving power by not powering the bigger motor. At least thats my understanding of what they've done.

Yeah, basically. They're tuned for different things.

In today's latest example of anti-selling the hell out of the Model 3, Tesla blatantly drove 2 of the things down SF's famous tourist spot Lombard Street in a futile attempt to get people to not want to buy them.

http://imgur.com/a/LIMv2

It's even more funny when the drivers parked the things at CCS/CHAdeMO chargers just to let people look at them more, since Tesla doesn't ship their cars with a CHAdeMO charger adapter in North America and these ones weren't even plugged in to the chargers.

https://electrek.co/2017/05/27/tesla-model-3-ccs-chademo-charging-station/

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
And more Model 3 vows. Fucking pissing me off.

Tesla confirms Model 3 wheel options, optional Glass Roof, and coil suspension.

https://electrek.co/2017/05/28/tesla-model-3-wheel-options-glass-roof-suspension/

They modified the ones listed under the Model S and added some under Model 3:

Full Self-Driving Capability
Aluminum and Steel Body
Coil Suspension
Optional Glass Roof
18&#8243; or 19&#8243; Wheels

You expected the $35k car to have the same options as the $70k car?

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
It's not even going to be 35k if the federal credit goes away

35k base without the credit. If you are part of the lucky few that still gets the full credit and has enough taxable income, you pay 27.5k.

eMQgvZZ.png

You'll still get tax credits a year and a half after they start phasing out, unless the law is changed.

http://insideevs.com/when-will-the-7500-us-credit-expire-for-the-tesla-model-3-and-everyone-else/

Still kills me no AWD option at the beginning. Northeast USA-GAF is crying!

Canada-GAF is feeling your tears.

35k base without the credit. If you are part of the lucky few that still gets the full credit and has enough taxable income, you pay 27.5k.

eMQgvZZ.png

You'll still get tax credits a year and a half after they start phasing out, unless the law is changed.

http://insideevs.com/when-will-the-7500-us-credit-expire-for-the-tesla-model-3-and-everyone-else/

Yeah, you get $14,000 incentive in Ontario, Canada. I want to get this ASAP before the incentive reduces down to $7,500, which it surely will.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
And more Model 3 vows. Fucking pissing me off.

Tesla confirms Model 3 wheel options, optional Glass Roof, and coil suspension.

https://electrek.co/2017/05/28/tesla-model-3-wheel-options-glass-roof-suspension/

They modified the ones listed under the Model S and added some under Model 3:

Full Self-Driving Capability
Aluminum and Steel Body
Coil Suspension
Optional Glass Roof
18&#8243; or 19&#8243; Wheels

Buying a car in the modern age comes to this.

They always advertise the absolute&#8203; lowest base model and up charge out the ass for "extras".

Does it suck? Yes

Is what it is though.

Buying a car in the modern age comes to this.

They always advertise the absolute&#8203; lowest base model and up charge out the ass for "extras".

Does it suck? Yes

Is what it is though.

If you've ever seen a base BMW 3 series like the 320i you would know what a joke base models are from the incumbent automakers. Nobody buys the base BMW, or Mercedes, or Audi.

The Tesla 3 is already going to come with a 5.6 seconds 0-60 and 215 miles electric range, demanding leather seats and a glass roof also for your $35k would get you laughed off the BMW dealer lot. Not that BMW offers a glass roof on their cars at all, even as an option.

ascii42

If you've ever seen a base BMW 3 series like the 320i you would know what a joke base models are from the incumbent automakers. Nobody buys the base BMW, or Mercedes, or Audi.

The Tesla 3 is already going to come with a 5.6 seconds 0-60 and 215 miles electric range, demanding leather seats and a glass roof also for your $35k would get you laughed off the BMW dealer lot. Not that BMW offers a glass roof on their cars at all, even as an option.

Also, I'm sure plenty of people don't even want the glass roof, so it'll be good for them that the glass roof is only optional.

it's optional on the model s and you expect it to not be on the 3? Cmon man.

Some were speculating that the glass roof would be standard since the larger opening would allow for robotic arms to automate more of the interior component installation, which is the least automated part of vehicle assembly.

So much for that theory.

How does this car compare to the Chevy bolt, which I can also afford?
hmm...

Bolt:
- Traditional Hatchback design
- Familiar interior
- CCS DC charging (55 kW)
- Available now (selected locations)

Model 3:
- Futuristic sedan
- Minimalistic interior
- Supercharging (90 kW?)
- Long wait after preorder

DrEvil

not a medical professional
hmm...

Bolt:
- Traditional Hatchback design
- Familiar interior
- CCS DC charging (55 kW)
- Available now (selected locations)

Model 3:
- Futuristic sedan
- Minimalistic interior
- Supercharging (90 kW?)
- Long wait after preorder

Don't forget autopilot and eventual autonomy.

How does this car compare to the Chevy bolt, which I can also afford?
I mean, just on looks alone..if you prefer zany run-of-the-mill electric car design, Chevy Bolt is for you

2017-BoltEV-Range.jpg

I dont...I prefer Model 3's look,

gallery-2.jpg

Besides that, I just prefer Tesla's forward thinking mentality when it comes to renewable energy. Also, Tesla's warranty is supposedly the best in biz.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
The 3 looks like a car.

The Bolt looks like the stereotypical ugly EV.

The Bolt looks like a combination of the Sonic and Cruze, which makes sense because it shares many components with those cars. Do image searches on Sonic and Cruze. You'll see the resemblance.

I have a Bolt. It's quick, fun to drive, has a ton of room, and enough range for everything I need it for. It's an excellent car and deserving of all of the awards it has received.

I also have a Model 3 preordered. I like both of them, for different reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom