• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Controller to Be Named "Move." Bye bye Gem? truly outrageous

bizatch said:
And im calling it now, KZ3 tease at GDC with motion controls...full reveal at E3.

People will rage.

In fact, any established franchise that goes motion control exclusive will cause the same reaction. Hopefully they have a new IP to launch with this.

bizatch

velvet_nitemare said:
People will rage.

In fact, any established franchise that goes motion control exclusive will cause the same reaction. Hopefully they have a new IP to launch with this.

Well im sure if they do it, it will be optional. Sort of like LBP, it'll just be extra.

How sick would it be if they released an Arc enabled Ape Escape? :D

velvet_nitemare said:
Isn't that a Wii game?

And forgive my ignorance, but didn't the first one use the balance board too?
Well, active 2 was confirmed for Wii, PS3 and iPhone today, but i misread the thing, its not confirmed to be using Arc, even though its coming this fall and the first one used the wii controll (if i'm not mistaken).

velvet_nitemare said:
People will rage.

I'd welcome Siren 2 with Arc control. :D

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
SolidSnakex said:
Here's a higher quality version of that gif

2r5c1nq.gif
Unfreakingreal.

velvet_nitemare said:
If they do, this gen could be extended by 2 more years.

2 years? It's be at lest 3 to 4 more years before you see a "New" box from Sony or MS. and by new I don't mean slims or redesigns.

Finally stumbled in here, have not been too excited for the natal/arc stuff, but that gif with the sword spin has definitely piqued my interest. I'd buy a game where I could just spin random shit to see what it looks like. fuck.

Trailblaster said:
This gif. right here sould put to rest those ridiculous "Doing nothing different then what the Wii is doing" claims that keep popping up.

But a poster in this topic already said he's tried this in a wii motion+ game and it did the same thing...

PSGames

chubigans said:
Unfreakingreal.

It really is. I've yet to see anything with that kind of accuracy on the Wii. But the question is will that be enough to differentiate it from Nintendo's offering? Will the casuals care for increased accuracy?

Edit:
Zoramon089 said:
But a poster in this topic already said he's tried this in a wii motion+ game and it did the same thing...

hmmm, link to post please?

expy

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Here's a higher quality version of that gif

2r5c1nq.gif
What's great about this is that, in my eyes, it looks as if those two are so immersed in that little "test" that their controllers actually look like they have "weight" to them (as in taking on the weight of the swords).

Ashes

Banned
MvmntInGrn said:
Look at Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, you cannot manipulate a sword is any way other than a button press pre-determined animation. Here the right analog is used to look.

Now lets say you replace the right analog with a cursor, like a Wii FPS(where you drag the cursor to look around).

Now add in the ability to manipulate the sword freely, wouldn't this interfere with using a cursor to look? If you are swinging around a controller to act like sword you can't be using a cursor to look at the same time.

hmm... Wouldn't you have to look at where your attacking though. Don't you have to line up your sword attack in oblivion? Or are you saying that basically you want to attack in one place and look at a different direction?
Am I getting it?

PSGames

Zoramon089 said:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=20192969&postcount=782

Ignoring the typos, he says it loses connection because the clip between the wiimote and motion+ is loose

Interesting. Well I think what makes this so impressive is with Arc you can actually see the sword in your hand with such accuracy. That is what suspends belief. But I doubt anyone will be playing a game from that perspective so I guess the point is mute.

Either way, I just want to see some actual games for this and more from the motion+ so we can see what motion controls are really capable of

Zoramon089 said:

He tried it and the M+ things falls out and he loses sink.

Zoramon there no need to defend Nintendo's motion controller here. Acknowledging what Sony is doing with thier motion controller is not a knock on the Wii. Sony and Nintendo came at the same problem from different directions but Sony solution clearly doing things the Wii isn't. That fact dosen't take away from what Nintendo manage to accomplish this Gen.

Shurs

PSGames said:
Interesting. Well I think what makes this so impressive is with Arc you can actually see the sword in your hand with such accuracy. That is what suspends belief. But I doubt anyone will be playing a game from that perspective so I guess the point is mute.

moot.

Trailblaster said:
2 years? It's be at lest 3 to 4 more years before you see a "New" box from Sony or MS. and by new I don't mean slims or redesigns.

That's what i meant. Normally you might expect MS to release a new console next year, since they've been on the market since '05(?), so it's a nice lenght of time. I meant that Natal could delay that by 2 more years, so 2013. Same for Sony, no idea about Nintendo.

racerx

Banned
you could have a realistic table tennis/pong game and see the ball actually hit your stick.

and then imagine hitting the ball a certain way and it could turn into a fireball and speed up.

interesting possibilities....

Bizzyb

Banned
V_Ben said:
sold. bloody hell.

How does this translate to anything BUT gimmicky gameplay?? I don't really want to look at myself holding some "virtual" sword while slashing at foreground enemies.

Yes it is impressive tech but not, imo, applicable to real satisfying gameplay.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
velvet_nitemare said:
That's what i meant. Normally you might expect MS to release a new console next year, since they've been on the market since '05(?), so it's a nice lenght of time. I meant that Natal could delay that by 2 more years, so 2013. Same for Sony, no idea about Nintendo.

If anything, it may shorten the generation by two years for Nintendo :lol

Replicant

Callibretto said:
I'd welcome Siren 2 with Arc control. :D

Hmm...not if it's the only way to control the game. I want the option to control it normally with the DualShock3. Sorry, but I haven't had great experience with motion control when it comes to Horror games.

Hero

The gif is impressive but I want to see some actual games for this instead of tech demos.

Trailblaster said:
He tried it and the M+ things falls out and he loses sink.
Sony came late to a party that Nintendo started after making fun of it and calling it gimmicky for the first three years.

Fixed that for you, junior.

racerx said:
you could have a realistic table tennis/pong game and see the ball actually hit your stick.

and then imagine hitting the ball a certain way and it could turn into a fireball and speed up.

interesting possibilities....
Except that the 3D we see this gen will be th same terrible 3D from Avatar that makes everything look like a pop up book.

Bizzyb said:
How does this translate to anything BUT gimmicky gameplay?? I don't really want to look at myself holding some "virtual" sword while slashing at things foreground enemies.

Hero said:
The gif is impressive but I want to see some actual games for this instead of tech demos.

Right now this is biggest fault of how Sony is showing this thing off. You have some people here who see that and are "sold" by the the little toss gif. You have others who are thinking more about accuracy and potential capability of the controllers. And then there are people like the poster above who probably need more context to show them why it any of this matters.

Yeah, it is crazy accurate and on paper much better than the Wii remote, but in practice what does that mean? show off some games that make you see why it is that much better. With Natal, they have been showing off that ball hitting demo since the unveiling and it shows you that it both can get a read of your whole body and gives an idea of how it would work in a game. Not saying any solution is better or worse here, just how they're presented.

Really, just one game demo can sell this thing to people (non-fanboys) but right now it's a lot of tech this and potential that.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Dr Bad Dude PHD said:
Except that the 3D we see this gen will be th same terrible 3D from Avatar that makes everything look like a pop up book.

The 3D in Avatar is terrible? :lol Okay.

Afrikan

Hero said:

Fixed that for you, junior.

maybe you two should actually switch statuses.....because you come off more as a "junior" with that fix. :lol

golem

Bizzyb said:
How does this translate to anything BUT gimmicky gameplay?? I don't really want to look at myself holding some "virtual" sword while slashing at foreground enemies.

Yep, augmented reality really hasnt done anything for gaming afaik.

The accuracy is impressive, but will people care?

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Linkzg said:
Right now this is biggest fault of how Sony is showing this thing off. You have some people here who see that and are "sold" by the the little toss gif. You have others who are thinking more about accuracy and potential capability of the controllers. And then there are people like the poster above who probably need more context to show them why it any of this matters.

Yeah, it is crazy accurate and on paper much better than the Wii remote, but in practice what does that mean? show off some games that make you see why it is that much better. With Natal, they have been showing off that ball hitting demo since the unveiling and it shows you that it both can get a read of your whole body and gives an idea of how it would work in a game. Not saying any solution is better or worse here, just how they're presented.

Really, just one game demo can sell this thing to people (non-fanboys) but right now it's a lot of tech this and potential that.

They have shown the tech in actual gameplay: RTS, FPS, FPH&S.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaQsXdKbUw8

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Bizzyb said:

Think of an actually good "Red Steel" game, now that could possibly work well.

SolidSnakex said:
I'm not sure why they keep showing demos like this. Why would you want to look at a mirror image of yourself while you're playing? It's basically EyePet.

They'd be better showing more demos of how the technology will work in actual game situations.

golem said:
Yep, augmented reality really hasnt done anything for gaming afaik.

The accuracy is impressive, but will people care?

By people do you mean people who play video games or the audience that bought the Wii? the people that bought into the wii don't care. Three years that controller was incredibly inaccurate. Play it with anyone who isn't a total nerd about this stuff and they'll notice it, but not really care much. Motion Plus is an improvement, but even it wasn't needed for the majority of Wii owners to get what they wanted out of it.

For people who play video games, yeah, accuracy and better control matters. Whether or not a more accurate/better controller means they'll give up dual analog for motion controls remains to be seen. I mean, Modern Warfare 2 and the majority of big games on the PS3/360 use dual analog controls and everyone is fine with that. Technically things like Rock Band and Guitar Hero are motion control but they aren't general purpose like the wii remote, natal, or this sony thing. I dunno.

neorej said:
They have shown the tech in actual gameplay: RTS, FPS, FPH&S.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaQsXdKbUw8

yeah, tech demos. I mean a game, like something you would want and could buy when this thing releases. Tech demos are still appealing to the nerds and others who follow this stuff.

Someone above mentioned Ape Escape. Show off Ape Escape and how much control you have over the net or whatever tools you have in that game. A yo-yo or some sort of weight on a string tool would do good.

Vlodril

I am not one for motion controlls (don't think i can play a whole game with them, it would be tiring), but these tech demos are really making it seem interesting. What we need to see is some polished games with them. Guess that would be E3.

SamBishop

Banned
Linkzg said:
yeah, tech demos. I mean a game, like something you would want and could buy when this thing releases. Tech demos are still appealing to the nerds and others who follow this stuff.

Give it a few more hours, dude. You'll know plenty more about applications soon.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Linkzg said:
By people do you mean people who play video games or the audience that bought the Wii? the people that bought into the wii don't care. Three years that controller was incredibly. Play it with anyone who isn't a total nerd about this stuff and they'll notice it, but not really care much. Motion Plus is an improvement, but even it wasn't needed for the majority of Wii owners to get what they wanted out of it.

For people who play video games, yeah, accuracy and better control matters. Whether or not a more accurate/better controller means they'll give up dual analog for motion controls remains to be seen. I mean, Modern Warfare 2 and the majority of big games on the PS3/360 use dual analog controls and everyone is fine with that. Technically things like Rock Band and Guitar Hero are motion control but they aren't general purpose like the wii remote, natal, or this sony thing. I dunno.

I think these so-called tech-demos do a better job at showing the gaming potential than what MS pulled with Natal (flailing limbs version of Breakout, tacked on Natal for Burnout Paradise resulting in dodgy controls). This stuff actually works and shows the responsiveness. All MS has shown is that Natal is not done yet and you can expect more Wii-like shovelware with games like Flailing Limbs Breakout.

Lonely1 said:
The thing is, the Wiimote can do all those things. And I don't think that Arc can do them much better...

You haven't used the Wiimote much, have you?

SamBishop said:
Give it a few more hours, dude. You'll know plenty more about applications soon.
Oh you're being naughty :)
neorej said:
I think these so-called tech-demos do a better job at showing the gaming potential than what MS pulled with Natal (flailing limbs version of Breakout, tacked on Natal for Burnout Paradise resulting in dodgy controls). This stuff actually works and shows the responsiveness. All MS has shown is that Natal is not done yet and you can expect more Wii-like shovelware with games like Flailing Limbs Breakout.
Nobody mentioned Natal.

Top Bottom