• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Controller to Be Named "Move." Bye bye Gem? truly outrageous

Ashes

Banned
@MvmntInGrn: The vid above is official and shows no analog stick on the main controller. This looks like its set in stone.
The nunchuck however does seem to have one if reports are to be believed. I suppose you wouldn't really need one on the main controller?

spwolf

Ashes1396 said:
The vid above is official and shows no analog stick on the main controller. This looks like its set in stone.
The nunchuck however does seem to have one if reports are to be believed. I suppose you wouldn't really need one on the main controller?

i dont think so, as you use the wand to move pointer around the screen, something that you use right analog stick usually for.

spwolf said:
i dont think so, as you use the wand to move pointer around the screen, something that you use right analog stick usually for.
Well what I don't quite understand is how you can still look with a cursor while manipulating an item (like a flashlight or sword), but I guess Red Steel 2 is doing this in some way?

mr_nothin

Banned
He still has the DS3 in his right hand during some of the clips. I think they're going to announce the other part of the controller soon.

SolidSnakex said:
doqhrl.gif

Just got home and HOLY FUCK!! that awesome right there.

beast786

Lion Heart said:
Shit thats impressive, I'd love to see a tennis game using this tech. I dont mean Wii Sports I mean a true to life tennis sim.

Table Tennis would be more awesome. With 3D. Imagine that. Half table in TV half out.

:lol

Ashes1396 said:
I'm not quite getting what you mean. How would you do the said action on a dualshock?
Well you can't. Sorry I'm horrible at explaining things. :lol

Let me try to say it like this. Look at Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, you cannot manipulate a sword is any way other than a button press pre-determined animation. Here the right analog is used to look.

Now lets say you replace the right analog with a cursor, like a Wii FPS(where you drag the cursor to look around).

Now add in the ability to manipulate the sword freely, wouldn't this interfere with using a cursor to look? If you are swinging around a controller to act like sword you can't be using a cursor to look at the same time.

Which brings me back to Red Steel 2, which would have to be doing this in some way(I can't seem to find any info on exactly how the controls are mapped, though there have been plenty of previews). I'm guessing it makes you hold a button when you want to use a non-projectile weapon to disable looking so you can wave the controller around.

INCREDIBLY excited for the Sony motion controller. I'm quite impressed, but I was since E3 09 :) Very impressive stuff; can't wait to see what first party studios do with it. Also, yes to demon's souls 2 with wand compatibility.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Apparently the "bulb" is not made of rigid plastic but rather of some flexible rubber-like material.
Not sure if old news. Never heard this before.

Source: http://www.gameblog.fr/news_14233_ps3-arc-nunchuk-100-confirmes

La sphère à l'extrémité du Motion Controller est "molle" (son plastique n'est pas rigide).

If you look at the latest dev diary video posted by GameSpot you can guess this is actually the case by looking at what Marks does @ 1:05

MvmntInGrn said:
Which brings me back to Red Steel 2, which would have to be doing this in some way(I can't seem to find any info on exactly how the controls are mapped, though there have been plenty of previews). I'm guessing it makes you hold a button when you want to use a non-projectile weapon to disable looking so you can wave the controller around.

I haven't played it, but from the look of the video, if you point on the screen you'll look arround, but if you swing the wiimote violently, you do a slash with the sword. The game also relies heavily on a lock system, which makes the transition smoother.
I

Sony's waggle seems to be the best one but based on Sony's track record this generation, it will end up being least popular.

Controller free gaming without any feedback is overrated.

I've always been kinda pumped for Sony's motion controller, and seeing that GIF didn't help temper my excitement. Very excited to hear what they have to say tomorrow.

iceatcs

What's funny from this gif that he's not even looking at the controller when catch. He's looking at the screen to adjust.

MirageDwarf said:
Controller free gaming without any feedback is overrated.
I wish there is an anti-gravity feedback. At least we're getting vibrate, are we?.

SamBishop

Banned
dragonflys545 said:
Shit, i think i should call out for work tomorrow...

Well, there will doubtlessly be some embargoes in place for some of the stuff. And there's more stuff throughout the week, too, of course.

jiggle

Animator said:
I think that gif just sold me a Arc controller when it comes out. That is pretty insane accuracy.

let's just hope there are actually good softwares that support it

and sony not charging 149.99 or whatever insane amount for one

Wow, impressive tech here !
But, there is ONE thing that is going to be tricky for some games, a lightsaber combat game for instance : management of weight an inertia of the device you're supposed to hold.
For instance, if you are supposed to lift an heavy iron sword, how is the developper going to code it ? if teh action on screen takes into account the weight of the object, there will be a diccrepency between the moving object on screen and the controller you're hloding that weights nothing...
I'm eager to see...
This could prevent PvP sword fights as without innertia and weigth you can't counter as it would be too fast...

Anyway, imho, much better that what i've seen from Natal...

Rick Dangerous said:
Wow, impressive tech here !
But, there is ONE thing that is going to be tricky for some games, a lightsaber combat game for instance : management of weight an inertia of the device you're supposed to hold.
For instance, if you are supposed to lift an heavy iron sword, how is the developper going to code it ? if teh action on screen takes into account the weight of the object, there will be a diccrepency between the moving object on screen and the controller you're hloding that weights nothing...
I'm eager to see...
This could prevent PvP sword fights as without innertia and weigth you can't counter as it would be too fast...

Anyway, imho, much better that what i've seen from Natal...

for heavy sword control, they can make it so it only recognize straight line or maybe some thrust. then the animation will visibly be shown late from your action, when the animation is finish, it return to your neutral state.

same with getting hit or having sword clash. the game will just not responding to your action for a sec. if you're getting hit, your character can show animation of being hit, during this animation, motion control is disabled or not responsive. after your character go back to normal state, it will animate into whatever new position you hold your wand into.

you know how in normal action games, there are still time you can't input a new action because you're in the middle of an action. well, I assume it's going to be the same with Arc

edit: for the heavy sword example, I don't mean to be gesture input. it's just that the onscreen action won't be exactly the same with what you do in real life with the wand. whatever action you do in real life will then have to be translated into the game animation. last year e3 tech demo already show they have prety adaptable animation for the puppet character that it can even do sit pose and hold bow in whatever angle you want.

will it work together? how much of the ps3 will it used to have this running as smooth as the tech demo if it would be implemented in a full fledged ps3 title that isn't a collective mini-game? i would love to be WOWed! make it happen sony!

Callibretto said:
for heavy sword control, they can make it so it only recognize straight line or maybe some thrust. then the animation will visibly be shown late from your action, when the animation is finish, it return to your neutral state.

same with getting hit or having sword clash. the game will just not responding to your action for a sec. if you're getting hit, your character can show animation of being hit, during this animation, motion control is disabled or not responsive. after your character go back to normal state, it will animate into whatever new position you hold your wand into.

you know how in normal action games, there are still time you can't input a new action because you're in the middle of an action. well, I assume it's going to be the same with Arc

That can work. You perform the action at lightning speed and then it's processed in a time-shifted 1-1 3D precision. Hmm, it would even let us relax until the movement is finished to prepare the next move.
They should call it 3Dmouse.

Looks just like what they demo'd at E3 last year, in terms of capability. Not sure what's new about it, but it does look cool as hell with the twirl. The only problem I can see is how much and how well lit your play space in front of the camera will have to be in order for it look as nicely as it does there for the augmented reality compositing effect. Hopefully, most games will be focused on a game character mirroring your actions with the controller rather than relying upon video feed looking at you who is looking at the screen to work with, Eyetoy style...which can be a pain to get right and is obviously limited to simple interactions because you're looking at yourself facing yourself.

I guess it does have some meaning, at least.

you have to move the stick on an arc to use it...so it makes sense. kind of counter intuitive, though.

Azerach

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Here's a higher quality version of that gif

/awesomeness.gif

Hooolyyyy shit. I knew it was pretty accurate but that it can keep up with that kind of motion without any hitches... fucking hell.

Man

That is just ridiculous. Nothing even comparable.

As I've said earlier, this is the first (and seemingly only) motion controller that seems to be on the level where we can accept these things for E-sport gaming.

Not a fan of motion controls, but the tech is impressive. Now show the games, and please not just casual/ mini-games. Full fledged hardcore titles please.

Also, wonder if 3rd parties will get behind this or Natal. If they do, this gen could be extended by 2 more years.

MightyHedgehog said:
Looks just like what they demo'd at E3 last year, in terms of capability. Not sure what's new about it, but it does look cool as hell with the twirl. The only problem I can see is how much and how well lit your play space in front of the camera will have to be in order for it look as nicely as it does there for the augmented reality compositing effect. Hopefully, most games will be focused on a game character mirroring your actions with the controller rather than relying upon video feed looking at you who is looking at the screen to work with, Eyetoy style...which can be a pain to get right and is obviously limited to simple interactions because you're looking at yourself facing yourself.

they already had that puppet character with sword and shield demo, with some bow action as well. that perfectly show some promise for 3rd person games. they still need to work on the animation though.

I also love the shuriken demo with first person view and two wands imitating 2 hands. too bad that probably won't be possible with the current 1 wand and nunchuck setup instead of 2 wand. =(

Animator

Man said:
That is just ridiculous. Nothing even comparable.

As I've said earlier, this is the first (and seemingly only) motion controller that seems to be on the level where we can accept these things for E-sport gaming.

screw e-sport gaming! I want this for survival horror stuff :D

bizatch

velvet_nitemare said:
Not a fan of motion controls, but the tech is impressive. Now show the games, and please not just casual/ mini-games. Full fledged hardcore titles please.

Also, wonder if 3rd parties will get behind this or Natal. If they do, this gen could be extended by 2 more years.

Well EA is already supporting it with atleast one title, PGA11, and reportedly another one coming soon after.

And im calling it now, KZ3 tease at GDC with motion controls...full reveal at E3.

Azerach

Banned
DMPrince said:
will it work together? how much of the ps3 will it used to have this running as smooth as the tech demo if it would be implemented in a full fledged ps3 title that isn't a collective mini-game? i would love to be WOWed! make it happen sony!

Well, considering that most 3rd party games don't use the SPUs at all or just a couple of them i think it's going to be pretty easy to implement Arc controls without any performance hit. Don't think it can be implemented in games with GoW3 level graphics and effects though.

Top Bottom