• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Controller to Be Named "Move." Bye bye Gem? truly outrageous

Dogenzaka

Banned
ichinisan said:
This is very close. the top of the nunchuk is rounded and not angular but other than it looks spot on.

edit: The nunchuk didnt appear to be quite as contoured as this picture, however I'm trying to base this on a picture I saw on Sunday morning whilst hung over!

So did the nunchuk have a glowing sphere as well?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Dogenzaka said:
So did the nunchuk have a glowing sphere as well?

If they were gonna do that they might aswell just go back to adding a stick to the wand and leaving it at that. Have an entirely symmetric pair.

So I think the answer there is no..

DMeisterJ said:
This article seems to confirm that VG247 meant that the details would be dropping today (in 2 hours and 21 minutes) and not yesterday in their post.

http://www.vg247.com/2010/03/09/seybold-psmc-to-be-pushed-with-an-aggressive-approach/

The article linked says 'tonight', so I guess we'll see how true that is in a few short hours.

Yep definitely excited for the reveal. Will be good to be proved right obviously. Damn didn't realise this thread even got referenced in MCVUK! Got a little concerned by the exposure yesterday. Oh well. I let this god damn cat of its hellish bag!

deepbrown

ichinisan said:
Yep definitely excited for the reveal. Will be good to be proved right obviously. Damn didn't realise this thread even got referenced in MCVUK! Got a little concerned by the exposure yesterday. Oh well. I let this god damn cat of its hellish bag!
=D

Ashes

Banned
DMeisterJ said:
This article seems to confirm that VG247 meant that the details would be dropping today (in 2 hours and 21 minutes) and not yesterday in their post.

http://www.vg247.com/2010/03/09/seybold-psmc-to-be-pushed-with-an-aggressive-approach/

The article linked says 'tonight', so I guess we'll see how true that is in a few short hours.

Three things then.

Tonight for the intial thing. And 'It’ll also be the focus of a GDC session from Sony on Thursday, and is expected to be the focus of the off-site press conference the firm is giving tomorrow night.'

slider

SolidSnakex said:
Not much longer until that supposed press release should hit.

On the hour I guess? Tragically I'm thinking of ducking out of a social event tonight so I can sit in and geek it up.

DMeisterJ

Banned
slider said:
On the hour I guess? Tragically I'm thinking of ducking out of a social event tonight so I can sit in and geek it up.

Don't! Cause this is a report from one of their 'insiders', so who knows how truthful they can or can't be.... Guess we'll find out in 17 mins tho

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
slider said:

Don't feel bad mate, I took two days off work to follow this event :-O

Ashes

Banned
Are we waiting for a press release? It's not like there's a press conferance today. I can't keep up anymore.

slider

lowrider007 said:
Don't feel bad mate, I took two days off work to follow this event :-O

E3 timings crossed my mind when planning my summer hols to Jamaica. I think I may have a slight problem.

DMeisterJ said:
Don't! Cause this is a report from one of their 'insiders', so who knows how truthful they can or can't be.... Guess we'll find out in 17 mins tho

:lol

Not long to go I guess. Munching on a pizza then heading out. I'll leave my laptop on until I'm outta the door (maximising my chances of catching something "exciting").

:|

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
SolidSnakex said:

Nothing really new there. Just the usual propaganda. This bit is kinda interesting tho:

You can expect to hear more details soon, as we have a few key industry events coming up with GDC this week and E3 around the corner. In between those shows, we're also going to bring the Motion Controller on the road, so your readers may have an opportunity to check it out for themselves in the near future.

Replicant

Do they really have to have that orb thingy? It makes what is otherwise a good-looking stick looks ridiculous. Can't they redesign it to look more like a torch or something? Anything that looks less stupid.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Replicant said:
Do they really have to have that orb thingy? It makes what is otherwise a good-looking stick looks ridiculous. Can't they redesign it to look more like a torch or something? Anything that looks less stupid.

It's necessary, yeah. If it was a flat light, ala a torch, it wouldn't be visible from the camera from all the same angles that this is.

I thought the colour choices in this vid were a lot better, the soft blue and orange colours on the bulb.

Cruzader

Banned
Kaako said:
At one point when they're both holding the swords, the dude spins the arc into the air and the sword spins 1 to 1 in the air as well. I thought that was pretty bad ass.
This, someone gif it!

cakefoo

gofreak said:
It's necessary, yeah. If it was a flat light, ala a torch, it wouldn't be visible from the camera from all the same angles that this is.

I thought the colour choices in this vid were a lot better, the soft blue and orange colours on the bulb.
and you'll be able to customize the color because it's RGB.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
gluv65 said:
At the 1:12 mark Dr. Marks is holding a DS3 vertically in his right hand.

He's holding it horiztonally - 'normally' - I think. Just the camera angle. You can see clearer when it shows them directly, not through the video feed.

Ashes

Banned
gofreak said:

yeah that was what I was thinking.

SamBishop

Banned
Kaako said:
At one point when they're both holding the swords, the dude spins the arc into the air and the sword spins 1 to 1 in the air as well. I thought that was pretty bad ass.

I actually hadn't caught that the first time around, and it's really slick (and quick!). Tomorrow night is going to be so awesome.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
SamBishop said:
I actually hadn't caught that the first time around, and it's really slick (and quick!). Tomorrow night is going to be so awesome.

Missed it too first time around. That was actually quite cool. A very fast spin, Mr. Marks showing off :lol

doqhrl.gif

Shurs

gluv65 said:

Thanks for quoting that gif, I didn't see it in the post directly above yours.

lowrider007 said:
h o l y s h i t !

Now that's impressive, I watched that video twice and didn't see that.

And you too! Thanks, bro.

goldenpp72 said:
I love how careful he's being with the sword.. lol

And you as well, Master Chief.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The things they could do in a sword game...imagine a third person sword game with that level of control mapped between the controller and the sword.

In general, what seems really impressive to me is that the tracking is so continuous and apparently flawless without any noticeable resets or whatever over time.

SamBishop

Banned
gofreak said:
The things they could do in a sword game...imagine a third person sword game with that level of control mapped between the controller and the sword.

In general, what seems really impressive to me is that the tracking is so continuous and apparently flawless without any noticeable resets or whatever over time.

It's just weird to me that this is what I was waiting for when motion controls were first talked about. Instead, it eventually became simple gestures to replicate button presses for some stuff, which was going backwards from where we were with regular controllers. The precision and speed of this is making me all giddy and the fact that it's not just 1:1, not just running at a solid speed, but that it's all in 3D that's been truly interesting to me. Depth isn't really something we've seen being used aside from maybe some put-the-key-in-the-lock-and-turn-style actions, and when coupled with 3D...

Shit, I'm like E3 excited now.

Every dev that I've talked to about this would pretty much say the exact same thing: "It just works like they said." For whatever reason I thought they were either being coy or I just wasn't getting what they were saying. Now it makes a lot more sense. Examples need to start hitting the web and quick, because I think that and actually playing stuff will help quiet the "lol, it's the same as Motion+!" crowd.

Apparently this is what five years of R&D can produce. Neat.

Top Bottom