• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Another dumbass cop: Pepper Sprays and Tasers a man having a stroke

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://wtop.com/virginia/2015/05/fredericksburg-police-release-video-of-taser-pepper-spray-incident/

Guy crashes his car and is non responsive so this cop threatens and then tases and pepper sprays him. Cops don't even try to figure out the situation anymore all people are just drugged up and waiting to kill them in their eyes. When did they get so scared?

Body cam footage;

Cop #1 - Jurgens
http://wtop.com/virginia/2015/05/fredericksburg-police-release-video-of-taser-pepper-spray-incident/

Cop #2 - HIll

Cop #3 - Deschenes

Ban Puncher

"Man I want to go on holiday but I already used up all my vacation days. Oh hey, what's going on here...?" - Moments Before

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
When the Taser does not appear to fully connect with Washington, Jurgens pepper sprays Washington’s face. When Washington doesn’t get out of the car, Jurgens and Deschenes pull him out and onto the ground where they put him in handcuffs. Washington can be heard moaning, and saying “I can’t breath.”
I feel so bad for the guy, Christ.

Tagyhag

Charges have been filed against Washington for hit and run, reckless driving and driving on a revoked license.

I understand the revoked license charge, but come on at the other 2.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I understand the revoked license charge, but come on at the other 2.

If his stroke is the cause of those two, can they actually charge him? How does this work?

If his stroke is the cause of those two, can they actually charge him? How does this work?

Cops don't care, they charge you with whatever an you have to go to court to prove otherwise. Its been proving innocence as opposed to proving guilt for a long time now.

Rootbeer

Banned
As if having a medical emergency in the middle of the road in your car is not bad enough... then to be tased and pepper sprayed (that was A LOT of spray) and then to have your foot ran over too...

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
He screams "Get out of the car or I'm going to fucking smoke you!" AFTER he's already tasered and pepper sprayed him. This was very close to ending even worse. Shitbag cop should be charged.

This fucking country.

The guy is black isn't he? I don't even have to read the article to know anymore.

He is.

So...what are we up to now?

can't walk while black
can't look in the general direction of a cop while black
can't drive slowly while black
can't breathe while black
can't make any movements of any kind while black
can't have a life threatening medical emergency while black

Dryk

The guy's probably lucky they didn't misinterpret his twitching and start beating him :\

can't walk while black
Actually after this case it you can probably fold all of those into:

- Can't make any movements of any kind while black
- Can't not make any movements of any kind while black

Rootbeer

Banned
Damn 5 hours and this thread is barely getting attention.

OP should link the youtube videos in the FP

Praise be to compulsory body cams. We got to see this incident from THREE angles. This is how we need it to be from now on.

The guy's probably lucky they didn't misinterpret his twitching and start beating him :\

Actually after this case it you can probably fold all of those into:

- Can't make any movements of any kind while black
- Can't not make any movements of any kind while black

- Can't be black

orochi91

Damn 5 hours and this thread is barely getting attention.

OP should link the youtube videos in the FP

Praise be to compulsory body cams. We got to see this incident from THREE angles. This is how we want it to be from now on.

To be fair, it's the middle of the night for most people in NA.

can't walk while black

So basically don't be Black.

DxGonzalo

Neo Member
I don't understand why this cop did this in this situation. I need patrol to come in the thread and explain it to me.

cameron

The car looks like it's been in an accident, it's stopped in the middle of the road, and the driver is unresponsive. How do you not consider maybe it's a medical emergency before leaping to the driver being a "thug disrespecting mah authority" line of stupid?

The car looks like it's been in an accident, it's stopped in the middle of the road, and the driver is unresponsive. How do you not consider maybe it's a medical emergency before leaping to the driver being a "thug disrespecting mah authority" line of stupid?

Because you'd have to think of us as human beings deserving of human treatment to do that.

Zenithean

Banned
With each day it occurs to me how little accountability the police have for their actions. They are protected institutionally by peers and superiors who act as nothing more than a frat club with guns (and tasers... and pepper spray... and clubs). The culture is beyond toxic, and it is continually reinforced every time a cop guns down an innocent victim in the middle of the street. You begin to ask yourself why do they need to further militarize themselves when they are already far too armed in the first place? I think it's because they know awareness is increasing, and they're desperate to retain as much power as they can.

Sorry, I usually don't get so grim. But it's incredibly frustrating... and heartbreaking. >.>

hohoXD123

In the article it mentions this:

Washington tells the officers that he has been sick for days, but that he does not know what is wrong.

If stroke is being used as a catch-all term to describe any neurological disorder then he may have been having blackouts/partial paralysis over several days, it would be a bit reckless to get behind the wheel of a car when you know that it may happen whilst you're driving. If this was the first time it has happened then yeah it's bs.

Mathieran

Banned
I love how casually the other cop stands there while the cop nails him with a taser and pepper spray. Clearly the victim did not pose a threat. He looked almost lifeless in there, barely reacting to the pain he must've been feeling. Sick.

gogogow

That cop is obviously overreacting, but that guy shouldn't be on the road at all, since his drivers license was revoked. The OP doesn't tell the whole story:

Charges have been filed against Washington for hit and run, reckless driving and driving on a revoked license. However he has not yet been arrested on the charges, according to police.

USA needs to start getting their police-force in order, it's depressing that it's one of the most powerful countries in the world and has one of the most infamous police-forces. Makes you wonder what training there is. If any. Something's gotta give in the end. And it may not be pretty.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I will admit I'm getting really fed up with all of these fucking dumbass cops attacking people under dumb pre-tenses and of course they all happened to be african-american. I'm deeply hoping and will push there needs to be some harsher punishments for cops pulling this shit, intentionally or not, I'm happy it's getting media attention at least somewhat and is an issue we need to face moving forward.

Foffy

Banned
Could he have been driving himself to a doctor or hospital for his condition? I mean, he should know driving with a revoked license could lead to death by being black in America, so that would be a risky thing to entertain.

gogogow

I hear you, man.

This guy was no angel.

Well that changes everything. Thank you for bringing the whole story to light.

So you guys are saying that it's okay for someone to drive a car with a revoked drivers license? Okay, cool.

And yes, it does changes everything. If he wasn't driving, there wouldn't be a hit and run and the cops wouldn't be called, but the ambulance instead, if he was walking on the streets and got a stroke. He was feeling sick for days and yet decided to drive, coupled that with a revoked license, he's not only a danger to himself, but also to other people on the roads and streets (revoked license, driving in wrong direction hit and run).

So you guys are saying that it's okay for someone to drive a car with a revoked drivers license? Okay, cool.

And yes, it does changes everything. If he wasn't driving, there wouldn't be a hit and run and the cops wouldn't be called, but the ambulance instead, if he was walking on the streets and got a stroke. He was feeling sick for days and yet decided to drive, coupled that with a revoked license, he's not only a danger to himself, but also to other people on the roads and streets (revoked license, driving in wrong direction hit and run).

Right. The reason this happened is because his license was revoked and has nothing to do with police and their historical failings when it comes to interacting with brown people. That's the narrative you're going to fight for?

This post got my blood pressure up but Id catch a ban if I responded to it the way I want to. Talk about missing the forest for the trees though.

Cops don't care, they charge you with whatever an you have to go to court to prove otherwise. Its been proving innocence as opposed to proving guilt for a long time now.
That's not really how it works though is it? It isn't up to the police to determine guilt, that's up to courts.

gogogow

Right. The reason this happened is because his license was revoked and has nothing to do with police and their historical failings when it comes to interacting with brown people. That's the narrative you're going to fight for?

I'm not fighting for anything. I'm strictly talking about this article. I already said what the cop did was wrong. That's the first thing I said in my first post in this thread. I also only mentioned what the driver did wasn't right either. But I guess I was wrong for doing that. You guys only want to read the things you don't agree with. I'm out of this thread.

Edit: Let me make this clear: I'm NOT justifying what the cop did to the driver, if you think that's what I was doing. I already said what the cop did was wrong. He should've assessed the situation better and called the ambulance instead of using excessive force which wasn't necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom