• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Officers pepper-spraying 15-year-old girl following bicycle accident with vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZangBa

He told her about 4 or 5 times to put her feet in the car or he'd spray her. When she finally does, you can hear her slam her feet on the door again as they're closing the door. I guess she really wanted to test the cop there, because that was ballsy.

Dude Abides

Banned
What do you think happens when someone crashes their bike into a car and it is their fault?

They are allowed to leave and not have to sort out damages because they are on a bike?

They're liabe for damages. That doesn't make either hitting the the car or leaving a crime.

Verelios

Glad to know I can just ask the cops to let me go since I don't wanna be there after I do something wrong.

They gave her a ton of chances to just be cooperative, it wasn't until she got on her bike and started to ride away that it escalated. I don't think the cops did anything wrong here.

She got pepper sprayed cause she was being a brat, not cause she was black. Stuff like this takes away from the real issues black people face in this country.
Oh noes, this 15 year old kid is in the back seat of our cruiser, better spray her so she knows not to fuck with the man again. Police should not act under the precondition of someone being a brat, that's ridiculous and pointless violence.
It's pepper spray. She'll live. Would you rather they forced her into the car? He sprayed her, and she complied. Everyone came out unscathed.
She was in the car and then sprayed, it had nothing to do with compliance but dominance.

Dai101

Banned
How old is 15 really?

I've spent too much time and money on my car. If some halfwit hits it, accidental or not, I am making sure I get your details. If you want to play hardball, either I take it into my own hands or I call the cops and let them deal with your ignorance.

For those of you not worried about "just a scratch or a small dent", I look forward to seeing the car you spent your hard-earned money on, with the dent/s and at least a scratch down the side across the length of the door. Surely it won't be difficult to do, since it's just a dent and nothing to get upset over.

For those of us that are humans it will not be that hard.

KahooTs

I've no issue with it as I don't see another reasonable way they get that door shut without risking slamming her in the door.

Dude Abides

Banned
Wrong.

BTW, did you ever figure out why this also applies to bikes???

Bikes are vehicles for purposes of title 21 of the Transportation Article - "this title" - in Transportation Article s. 21-102, not title 20.

§ 21-1202. Traffic laws apply to bicycles and motor scooters.

Every person operating a bicycle or a motor scooter in a public bicycle area has all the rights granted to and is subject to all the duties required of the driver of a vehicle by this title, including the duties set forth in § 21-504 of this title, except:

(1) As otherwise provided in this subtitle; and

(2) For those provisions of this title that by their very nature cannot apply.

I bolded the parts you need to pay attention to.

But the law you claim she violated is in title 20, namely 20-104. You can tell because it says 20-104 in the heading rather than 21-104.

Probably why she wasn't charged with violating the law you claim she violated.

Sky Chief

Bikes are vehicles for purposes of title 21 of the Transportation Article - "this title" - in Transportation Article s. 21-102, not title 20.

I bolded the parts you need to pay attention to.

The laws you claim she violated are sections of title 20, namely 20-104. You can tell because it says 20-XXX in the heading rather than 21-xxx.

Probably why she wasn't charged with violating the law you claim she violated.

What does this mean?

Dude Abides

Banned
What does this mean?

It means she didn't commit a crime by (attempting) to leave the scene of the "accident" without giving the police all her information (if they in fact did not have all her information when she left) and thus was not committing the crime that Krejlooc and friends claim justified her arrest (they claim this even though the arresting officer did not assert that was the reason for the arrest nor was she charged with it).

ironmang

No she got peppered sprayed a good amount of time after she got into the car, after she repeatedly got asked to not block the door. And lets not talk about her behavior for the other 6 or so minutes.

You mean reacting like a terrified kid that's being tossed around by strangers with weapons?

Sky Chief

It means she didn't commit a crime by (attempting) to leave the scene of the "accident" without giving the police all her information (if they in fact did not have all her information when she left) and thus was not committing the crime that Krejlooc and friends claim justified her arrest (they claim this even though the arresting officer did not assert that was the reason for the arrest nor was she charged with it).

Excuse my ignorance, I think I'm coming into a discussion way late, but how is damaging someone's property not a crime? Say she hit his car with a hammer, wouldn't that be vandalism?

You mean reacting like a terrified kid that's being tossed around by strangers with weapons?

Excuse me.

That's not a child. That's a woman. A grown ass woman who should understand her actions and know better. How dare she resist arrest. Nothing but a lawless criminal who got what she deserved.

Now, the people who find themselves unemployed for being racists on social media or Ryan Lochte, those are just kids who made mistakes and should be treated with the smallest of kid gloves.

Sky Chief

Motherfuckers going out of their way to question existence itself before before they can even acknowledge racism.

It's obvious that police are racist on the whole (the entire system is) but I don't think this was racism.

I've seen a coworker of mine refuse to answer a police officer's single question (he didn't think he should because he hadn't done anything, just in the wrong place at the wrong time) and be thrown to the ground shattering his wrist in multiple places and then his broken wrist was handcuffed and he was taken to jail without receiving any medical attention and charged with being drunk and disorderly. This was years ago and a bone in his thumb never healed so there are many day to day activities that he can no longer do easily. He tried to sue but never got any traction even though everyone said he did nothing wrong. He was a middle aged, clean cut, white guy. The fact is police are just power tripping assholes and this is why whenever I come across them I go out of my way to be as compliant as possible.

Excuse my ignorance, I think I'm coming into a discussion way late, but how is damaging someone's property not a crime? Say she hit his car with a hammer, wouldn't that be vandalism?
Intent matters.

It is a crime if you want to damage it. It isn't if it happened by accident. If it's an accident, you can only pursue the matter in a civil court, since the State (ideally) has better things to do than throw people in jail due to debt.

doesnt apply for all crimes.

Tigel

Pretty much. Pepper spray was a bit excessive, but she was out of control
She was warned like 3-4 times that she'll be sprayed if she didn't put her feet in the car.

That little girl was a total brat. The police handled the situation pretty good in my opinion.

I wonder what the crossover is between people who feel like officers handled this appropriately and who also thought officers acted appropriately when dealing with the girl at the pool party or the girl at school with the desk?

xevis

Banned
Their options were

A) Slam her leg in the door. Which everyone would have loved.

B) Hog tie her. I'm not sure this is something they would even do. Also risks further injury.

C) Pepper spray

(D) open the door on the other side and secure the individual.

She was warned like 3-4 times that she'll be sprayed if she didn't put her feet in the car.

That little girl was a total brat. The police handled the situation pretty good in my opinion.

Agreed.

There's really no right way for the police to handle situations these days. They are condemned if they have to use lethal force, and condemned if they use non-lethal force.

Lum1n3s

(D) open the door on the other side and secure the individual.
So man handle her from the other side and drag her in, got it. She never complied, was warned multiple times as well that she would get pepper sprayed and still didn't follow orders. Maybe they should've warned her 10 more times nicely? All of this could've been avoided and people need to acknowledge that and stop beating around the bush. Did the weed that she had on she make her act like that? Who knows and at 15? Y'all are treating her like she's some sort of 5 year old who doesn't know what they're doing. Even at that age I knew to follow orders.

Out of curiosity, what do you think the officer should have done when she wouldn't get fully in the car despite being asked repeatedly? Would manhandling her be the more preferable option?

Yes. Physically force handcuffs and/or physically force entry to the back seat of the car.
But what you do NOT do when dealing with a minor is striking them, use pepper spray or taser them. If a grown ass man can't subdue a minor physically then they shouldn't be a cop.
And you don't fucking bully or take revenge ANY suspect, for example by tasering them or pepper spraying them AFTER they are handcuffed- let alone shoot them afterwards. That's cold blooded murder and who does that should be trialed as such.

And it is said the cop in this case pepper sprayed her from the window after she was secured in the back seat. WTF?!

So man handle her from the other side and drag her in, got it. She never complied, was warned multiple times as well that she would get pepper sprayed and still didn't follow orders. Maybe they should've warned her 10 more times nicely? All of this could've been avoided and people need to acknowledge that and stop beating around the bush. Did the weed that she had on she make her act like that? Who knows and at 15? Y'all are treating her like she's some sort of 5 year old who doesn't know what they're doing. Even at that age I knew to follow orders.
7 minutes of an 8 minute video they manhandled her. They literally carried her down the street, dude. Yes, there was absolutely other ways to get her into car without blasting her with pepper spray. Did we just start putting people in the back of cars? Is the some new fucking thing that we're still learning how to do without injuring someone, let alone a 15 year old girl? They know how to do this shit without pepper spray.

Jenov

Maybe they should have actually just called in the ambulance, considering she was yelling how her disabilities were not allowing her to comply. And if she had a concussion and walked off they would be in a lot of trouble too. I dunno, bad situation.

The girl's attorney, Robin Ficker:

“They said ‘you have to come in, you can’t refuse treatment.’ Well there’s no Maryland law that says you can’t refuse treatment,” he told The Daily Beast. “They certainly don’t arrest every Jehovah’s Witness that refuses treatment. There’s no law that says you can’t refuse treatment.”

But Ficker said the force of the girl’s arrest contradicts the police argument that she required urgent treatment.
“Well if someone may have brain damage, why are you slamming her against a wall? Why are you putting her in a police car,” he said, “without a seatbelt, I might add, in violation of police policy.”

But police did not take her to a hospital, Ficker said. Instead, the girl was transported to the police station, where she was interrogated and charged with disorderly conduct, two counts of second degree assault, possession of marijuana and failure to obey a traffic device.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...-black-girl-after-she-falls-off-her-bike.html

xevis

Banned
So man handle her from the other side and drag her in, got it.

The girl is already in the vehicle, she's cuffed, her feet are facing the other way and she's 15 years old. She doesn't pose any danger to the police. Spraying someone in the face with a dangerous chemical is not a reasonable use of force in this situation!

Agreed.

There's really no right way for the police to handle situations these days. They are condemned if they have to use lethal force, and condemned if they use non-lethal force.

Pepper spray to control bratty teenagers? WTF am I reading?

Guys, watch AFTER she is already in the car and the door is closed.

The officer sprays her again

That is when it becomes excessive force in my eyes. Everything else up to that point can be justified.

Brinbe

Infuriating to watch and some of the responses in here are maddening. There is zero excuse for how those officers behaved. After this shit-tastic week, you'd think something would get done. Some movement towards an acknowledgement that something is wrong with our police force. But nothing ever will get done. And things will just continue to get worse and more toxic.

This would be shitty behavior towards anyone, let alone a 15-year-old.

TaterTots

Banned
I don't know about this one. You can't argue against her committing a crime, but pepper spray? She was being ridiculously difficult, but she is 15 years old...just kind of push her legs into the car.

TaterTots

Banned
When will cops fucking learn that they don't have to be listened to at all times? It's not a damn crime to ignore your ass.

Well..if you commit a crime and decide, "nah I'm not gonna participate" is an issue. Laws are in place for a reason. Where should we draw a line to where it doesn't matter anymore? She was essentially attempting a hit and run. Pepper spray was way excessive imo, but if she cooperated who knows.

if things stay on trajectory, one of these days an incident similar to this will happen and a bystander won't be able to take it anymore and they will assert their 1st amendment rights... and that will be a sad, sad day,

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
When will cops fucking learn that they don't have to be listened to at all times? It's not a damn crime to ignore your ass.

that is true even suspected of a crime she tech does have the right to remain silent if she chose to yet I can see police officers getting pissy at that option because they are so authoritative

EDIT: Don't know why the officer keeps holding her shoulder, creeps me out a little Esp when she kept saying to not do it. I mean she was handcuffed and on the ground they could have left her and if she tried to get up just lead her back down again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom