• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Officers pepper-spraying 15-year-old girl following bicycle accident with vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
She already kicked at least one officer. It's not easy trying to cuff someone's ankles while they're throwing up-kicks at you. They would've had to pin her face down on the ground, and grab her legs to cuff them. That would have looked just as bad as pepper spray IMO.

they pepper sprayed her through a crack of the car's window. You didn't want the video.

Pepper-spraying a minor; you should be fired immediately. End of story.

Cops handcuffing a minor is acceptable under certain situations, but not pepper-spraying minors. And if one cop can't deal with a minor, they need to retake training course. The training course should be re-evaluated as well. You are dealing with a fucking minor here. No wonder these cops shit their pants and start shooting blind when they face an adult.

Did you miss the part where she was trying to leave? They didn't touch her when she was on foot. They didn't even touch her after she got on the bike. They didn't touch her until she started peddling away.

The hands-off approach doesn't work when the person is leaving, because of that whole thing where if a person continues to leave, they are eventually not there anymore.
I didn't even think that was the point they should of let her calm down. After they cuff her, instead of letting her calm down, they keep fucking with her instead. She wasn't going anywhere at the point.

Dynasty

The officers went to far with the pepper spray, they done practically all the hardwork and got her in the car. The girl is at fault also for not cooperating, she was just to worried about getting in trouble by her parents.

And if you have been pepper sprayed (I have). That shit sucks. I can only imagine how bad that would suck in a back seat while cuffed with no ventilation. When she says "I cant breathe" she actually cant breathe. Thats fucking torture.

VanWinkle

Pepper-spraying a minor; you should be fired immediately. End of story.

Cops handcuffing a minor is acceptable under certain situations, but not pepper-spraying minors. And if one cop can't deal with a minor, they need to retake training course. The training course should be re-evaluated as well. You are dealing with a fucking minor here. No wonder these cops shit their pants and start shooting blind when they face an adult.

Out of curiosity, what do you think the officer should have done when she wouldn't get fully in the car despite being asked repeatedly? Would manhandling her be the more preferable option?

And if you have been pepper sprayed (I have). That shit sucks. I can only imagine how bad that would suck in a back seat while cuffed with no ventilation. When she says "I cant breathe" she actually cant breathe. Thats fucking torture.

But when has that phrase been heeded by cops?

Pepper spray was dumb but man. I was fifteen once and when a cop tells you not to leave, you stay put. "Get off meeeeee"...jesus shut your trap and listen.

The Beard

they pepper sprayed her through a crack of the car's window. You didn't want the video.

I watched the whole thing.

This is only in response to the poster that said "they should've cuffed her feet first"

Do you think think pinning her face down on the ground to apply ankle restraints would look any better? Because they'd need at least 3 officers to safely restrain someone that's kicking, in order to get restraints on. Not to mention, having your ankles together doesn't mean she wouldn't be able to keep the door from closing.

I don't know if it makes it better or worse, but cops know how pepper spray to the face feels as it's part of their training.

Out of curiosity, what do you think the officer should have done when she wouldn't get fully in the car despite being asked repeatedly? Would manhandling her be the more preferable option?
They manhandled her from the point they pulled her of the bike. So yeah, sure.

But when has that phrase been heeded by cops?
Woof.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I just finished watching the clip and I double check the article to read the transcript to make sure that I didn't mishear anything.

Now bare in mind I don't fully understand how US road law work but judging from the video the kid was just flat out refusing to co-operate with the police and was trying to leave when she wasn't free to leave.

There's also the fact that she was underage thus needed her legal guardian to be present, which in this would her parents whom she didn't want present and when the officers was trying to put her in the car she was being stubborn and refused to put her feet in.

It really did seem like that the officer was trying to diffuse the situation but the girl just refused to co-operate, even refusing to give her identity.

I personally don't think that it was a race thing or the police abusing their power, though a part of me does wonder had the situation been any different if she was white or would it be a non news had they pepper sprayed her.

Krejlooc

Banned
Why do you think that refers to bikes?

Because:

Treatment as a Vehicle

In Maryland bicycles are vehicles according to the statute that defines vehicles and a person riding a bicycle has all of the rights and duties of the driver of a vehicle as provided in Title 21 of the Maryland Code, except as to those provisions which by their nature can have no application.

Source: Md. Code Ann., Transp. §§11-176; 21-1202

darscot

Will you feel that way when it's a kid who's not paying attention and drives their bike into you instead?

If you HIT the kid with a car, that's on you. If they hit YOU, that's on them. 15 is old enough to know how to drive a bike.

Of course its a teenage kid they are dumb as stick and do stupid shit all the time. I would never put my car over a kid no matter who is at fault. She bounces off my car and is ok I'm one happy camper and consider it my lucky day. Its not like the car is going to be totalled it going to be a minor fender bender at most. Consider the alternative she gets fucking killed do you still call her parents and say what the fuck I want money to cover the cost of washing her brains of my car? I can't believe anyone would even care who is at fault in a car vs bike situation.

Ashhong

It definitely looked like they were trying not to be too physical with her, at least at first. The way they grabbed her and cuffed her looked kind of awkward, they didn't want to hurt her. They could have thrown her down onto the ground and used way more force to detain her. That being said, looked like the door was closed when he sprayed it. That's just fucked up.

Of course its a teenage kid they are dumb as stick and do stupid shit all the time. I would never put my car over a kid no matter who is at fault. She bounces off my car and is ok I'm one happy camper and consider it my lucky day. Its not like the car is going to be totalled it going to be a minor fender bender at most. Consider the alternative she gets fucking killed do you still call her parents and say what the fuck I want money to cover the cost of washing her brains of my car? I can't believe anyone would even care who is at fault in a car vs bike situation.

What the fuck? Ok, the girl is not injured after she drove into my car. That's great, I'm relieved. But why should I be ok with that, and simply let her go smiling? She or her parents should be responsible for whatever damages on the car.

Why do you think that refers to bikes?
If there is damage to the vehicle, why wouldn't it? Are you saying that if I hit a car at a stop light with my bike, I have the right to just pedal away like nothing happened? Especially if the collision was obviously my fault?

Smellycat

Man, that girl was simply not cooperating at all. I didn't look like the police did anything wrong to be honest. It is weird that they decided to pepper-spray her while she was in the car which is a bit odd.

Althane

Of course its a teenage kid they are dumb as stick and do stupid shit all the time. I would never put my car over a kid no matter who is at fault. She bounces off my car and is ok I'm one happy camper and consider it my lucky day. Its not like the car is going to be totalled it going to be a minor fender bender at most. Consider the alternative she gets fucking killed do you still call her parents and say what the fuck I want money to cover the cost of washing her brains of my car?

I'm going to be happy they're alive if they hit my car and I'm moving. I'm still going to be pissed as hell at them for being idiots.

You can be more than one thing at a time, surprisingly. And there's no way I'd be like, "Yeah, go on your way". I'd check my car to see if they caused any damages and hold them responsible.

(Also, not sure anyone's died from running into a car on a bike)

Victim: "Why did you shoot me?"
Officer: "...I don't know..."

I don't know if that indicates mentally challenged. Stupid, sure.

No where, just my view of you have to be messed up in the head to do some thing like that

And yeah, I'd agree with you on that.

I don't know, man. Seems like she fucked up, and freaked out when the cops started questioning her (probably had to do with the possession). IANAL, tho.

The pepper spraying might have been too much.

that's what i see here too.

she needed a Valium IV injection to the neck to calm the fuck down. she was unusually panicked. maybe afraid of getting caught with the weed? maybe afraid of the officers themselves because of what's going on? who knows. what I do know is that the requests were clear and they talked to her for quite awhile before deciding they had to carry her to the car. stop being ridiculous, kid.

the pepper spray was a "alright, fuck you" moment which was clearly unnecessary at that point; they were doing the best they could to explain what they wanted and why and she was 99.99% of the way in the car. Push her foot in and close the door. Nope, random new cop has to show up and go over the top shitting on all the good work the other officers did in keeping her safe along the way.

It didn't look bad, they just calmly tell her what to do and even sit her on the floor instead of slamming her down... until the pepper spraying in the car. Unnecessary.

But so was her not listening and screaming, ignoring the police's calm-voiced instructions.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
I watched the whole thing.

This is only in response to the poster that said "they should've cuffed her feet first"

Do you think think pinning her face down on the ground to apply ankle restraints would look any better? Because they'd need at least 3 officers to safely restrain someone that's kicking, in order to get restraints on. Not to mention, having your ankles together doesn't mean she wouldn't be able to keep the door from closing.

you are just going to throw all the shit at the wall to make an argument.

She's a 15 year old girl and was already in the cop car. She didnt need to be restrained. She already was in the car.

darscot

I'm going to be happy they're alive if they hit my car and I'm moving. I'm still going to be pissed as hell at them for being idiots.

You can be more than one thing at a time, surprisingly. And there's no way I'd be like, "Yeah, go on your way". I'd check my car to see if they caused any damages and hold them responsible.

(Also, not sure anyone's died from running into a car on a bike)

The car was in motion going through a green light. I don't hold children responsible for minor shit. Be the same if kids where playing street hockey or baseball and put a ball through my window. Sure it would suck but I'm not trying get some kid or his family to pay. Its just not worth my time. If they did it on purpose that would be different.

VanWinkle

This is so bizarre. A 15 year old is not an infant. She hit the person's car. That's not okay. That isn't a joyous occasion. It's not like it's the car was going down the road at 50 mph when she hit it. THAT would have been a scary situation.

The Beard

Depends on your definition of ok. It would most certainly have paint damage and probably dents.

Some people can't seem to understand why anyone would give a shit if someone dents and scratches their car. Or that a even a small dent and some scratches can costs hundreds of dollars to repair properly.

I live in this city. Weird seeing this news on GAF Edit: oops sorry yeah think she tried to leave the scene. Police released body cam footage

Just from my perspective, as a former bouncer, I was able to get someone from point a to point b and get them sitting on their ass without needing backup and or hurting them or using pepper spray. And these were grown ass men that were bigger than I am and aggressive as fuck. So its hard for me to just look at a situation like this and say that it was handled well. I would hope if I was unable to remove a 15 year old kid out of the bar and sit their ass down without resorting to pepper spray and needing another bouncer to help me, my ass would have got fired.

gogogow

While I don't like kids getting hurt by adults/cops etc., she really wasn't cooperating at all since the beginning. When the cops finally got her into the car, she wasn't letting the cops close the door. The cops repeatedly ask her to put her feet in. She doesn't comply and another cop ask her several times to put her feet in or will pepperspray her. Again, she doesn't comply and the cop pepperspray her. She really doesn't make it easy for no one, including herself.

SecretDan

A mudslide of fun!
Are people arguing that if someone hits your car with their bike, the person riding the bike is free to go and shouldn't have to cover any of the damages?

darscot

This is so bizarre. A 15 year old is not an infant. She hit the person's car. That's not okay. That isn't a joyous occasion. It's not like it's the car was going down the road at 50 mph when she hit it. THAT would have been a scary situation.

From the story

"The driver then tells the officer he was coming down the street while the light was green when the girl came around the corner, didn't stop and hit the side of his car. "

The car was in motion it was damn lucky.

And a couple hundred bucks is worth every penny to drive away with no one hurt.

phanphare

Banned
honestly the police seemed to have done as good of a job as they could have in that situation until the pepper spray. it looked like she was finally putting her feet in the car, though maybe it was a bad angle.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
While I don't like kids getting hurt by adults/cops etc., she really wasn't cooperating at all since the beginning. When the cops finally got here into the car, she wasn't letting the cops close the door. The cops repeatedly ask her to put her feet in. She doesn't comply and another cop ask her several times to put her feet in or will pepperspray her. Again, she doesn't comply and the cop pepperspray her. She really doesn't make it easy for no one, including herself.

How do they normally get people to sit upright? Do they just pepper spray everyone? Is there training or protocol? I honestly dont know.

Damn these ninjas

PorkBarrelRoll.gif

darscot

Are people arguing that if someone hits your car with their bike, the person riding the bike is free to go and shouldn't have to cover any of the damages?

To each their own, if you want to try and claim damage from a kid, have at it. Yes, I think its a waste of my fucking time. Hassle like that I don't need.

Weston

Uh yeah spraying her was completely unnecessary. She's in the car with door shut. Why spray her then?

They probably posted this thinking video thinking all that kicking and screaming she did would be enough to justify the pepperspray, but the way he decides to just casually spray once it's all over is pretty fucked up. She's a 15 year girl and pepper spray is some serious shit.

ZenTzen

Man, that girl was simply not cooperating at all. I didn't look like the police did anything wrong to be honest. It is weird that they decided to pepper-spray her while she was in the car which is a bit odd.

watch that again, they were only able to close the door after she was sprayed, she was repeatedly warned she was getting sprayed, i really cant fault the police on this one, she should have just complied with the police

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom